The whole earth is in jail and we're plotting this incredible jailbreak. -- Wavy Gravy

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Review on (newish) book about Homer

SubjectAuthor
* Review on (newish) book about HomerNancyGene
+* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerMichael Pendragon
|+* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerSpam-I-Am
||+* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerNancyGene
|||`- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerSpam-I-Am
||`* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerZod
|| `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerW-Dockery
||  `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerZod
||   `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerMichael Pendragon
||    +* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerZod
||    |`- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerWill Dockery
||    `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerW.Dockery
||     `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerAsh Wurthing
||      +- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerSpam-I-Am
||      `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerWill Dockery
||       `- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerRobert Burrows
|`* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerNancyGene
| `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerMichael Pendragon
|  `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerNancyGene
|   +* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerNancyGene
|   |`* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerAsh Wurthing
|   | `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerAsh Wurthing
|   |  `- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerW-Dockery
|   `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerMichael Pendragon
|    `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerSpam-I-Am
|     `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerMichael Pendragon
|      +- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerAsh Wurthing
|      `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerSpam-I-Am
|       `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerNancyGene
|        `- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerSpam-I-Am
+- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerAsh Wurthing
`* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerWill Dockery
 `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerMichael Pendragon
  `* Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerW-Dockery
   `- Re: Review on (newish) book about HomerSpam-I-Am

Pages:12
Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<7d45e4da-a8a8-4312-ada4-281f87a1c9d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180641&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180641

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:45:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 16:45 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 6:00:26 AM UTC-5, Spam-I-Am wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 8:47:49 PM UTC-5, michaelmalef...@gmail..com wrote:

> > > True, but archaeological methods can give an estimate on the ages of the layers of the proposed Troy site. Schliemann messed things up (Troy III-V) pretty badly for subsequent excavations, but the Law of Superposition can be used (although there has been some reworking in the soil layers). Pottery sherds can be dated. Burned wood fragments have been found, but there is always doubt about how old the wood actually is/was. We have to find Hector's burial place (maybe a wooden cross and drag marks) to be sure that Homer got it right.
> > >
> > > Some informative pictures of the site:
> > > https://www.worldatlas.com/ancient-world/where-was-troy-and-what-happened-to-it.html

> > That's why I take science over oral tradition. I think that the Trojan War occurred somewhere around 1200 BCE. A 400-year oral tradition seems almost impossibly long, but the older portions of the Talmud were also orally transmitted from generation to generation for over 500 years as well.
> >
> > Returning to "The Iliad's" supposed confirmation of the bicameral mind, the only character who seemed able to receive prophetic messages from the gods, was Cassandra -- and her prophecies weren't believed. The gods and goddesses influenced some of the battles, but I don't recall them communicating directly to any of the heroes. Of course I could very well be mistaken on that point, as I read the book almost 50 years ago.
> > (Damn, I'm old.) The fact that only Oracles, or prophets/witches (Cassandra) could receive direct communication with/inspiration from the gods casts further doubt on Jaynes' split brain theory. (Just in case Mack is still lurking in the background.)
> The Trojan War is a myth.

Could you elaborate on that?

The discovery of a city (or, a series of cities) where Troy was said to have been located strongly supports its existence; and the cataclysmic destruction of Troys VI - VIIa (especially VIIa) suggest that it had been besieged and destroyed in a war.

The various heroes and their acts of valor, the Trojan Horse, etc., may have been fictional, but we have (as yet) no means of arriving at a definitive conclusion either way.

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<89a5ebdd-690a-4879-a946-374d5f36b7d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180653&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180653

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:48:52 -0800 (PST)
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 18:48 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 11:45:24 AM UTC-5, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 6:00:26 AM UTC-5, Spam-I-Am wrote:

> > > That's why I take science over oral tradition. I think that the Trojan War occurred somewhere around 1200 BCE. A 400-year oral tradition seems almost impossibly long, but the older portions of the Talmud were also orally transmitted from generation to generation for over 500 years as well.
> > >
> > > Returning to "The Iliad's" supposed confirmation of the bicameral mind, the only character who seemed able to receive prophetic messages from the gods, was Cassandra -- and her prophecies weren't believed. The gods and goddesses influenced some of the battles, but I don't recall them communicating directly to any of the heroes. Of course I could very well be mistaken on that point, as I read the book almost 50 years ago.
> > > (Damn, I'm old.) The fact that only Oracles, or prophets/witches (Cassandra) could receive direct communication with/inspiration from the gods casts further doubt on Jaynes' split brain theory. (Just in case Mack is still lurking in the background.)
> > The Trojan War is a myth.
> Could you elaborate on that?
>
> The discovery of a city (or, a series of cities) where Troy was said to have been located strongly supports its existence; and the cataclysmic destruction of Troys VI - VIIa (especially VIIa) suggest that it had been besieged and destroyed in a war.
>
> The various heroes and their acts of valor, the Trojan Horse, etc., may have been fictional, but we have (as yet) no means of arriving at a definitive conclusion either way.

You summed it well enough that I couldn't add any more. Above is what I base my beliefs upon. As for oral tradition, I look to other oral traditions that we know more of and use that as a guide for looking at this oral tradition-- it probably evolved (changed some, embellished) with time before it was written down, but it probably still retained some historical basis.

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<f0894e04-f9b6-4e28-8180-20d47976bc3cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180657&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180657

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:21:13 -0800 (PST)
From: hieronym...@gmail.com (Spam-I-Am)
 by: Spam-I-Am - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 19:21 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 11:45:24 AM UTC-5, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 6:00:26 AM UTC-5, Spam-I-Am wrote:

> > > That's why I take science over oral tradition. I think that the Trojan War occurred somewhere around 1200 BCE. A 400-year oral tradition seems almost impossibly long, but the older portions of the Talmud were also orally transmitted from generation to generation for over 500 years as well.
> > >
> > > Returning to "The Iliad's" supposed confirmation of the bicameral mind, the only character who seemed able to receive prophetic messages from the gods, was Cassandra -- and her prophecies weren't believed. The gods and goddesses influenced some of the battles, but I don't recall them communicating directly to any of the heroes. Of course I could very well be mistaken on that point, as I read the book almost 50 years ago.
> > > (Damn, I'm old.) The fact that only Oracles, or prophets/witches (Cassandra) could receive direct communication with/inspiration from the gods casts further doubt on Jaynes' split brain theory. (Just in case Mack is still lurking in the background.)
> > The Trojan War is a myth.
> Could you elaborate on that?
>
> The discovery of a city (or, a series of cities) where Troy was said to have been located strongly supports its existence; and the cataclysmic destruction of Troys VI - VIIa (especially VIIa) suggest that it had been besieged and destroyed in a war.
>
> The various heroes and their acts of valor, the Trojan Horse, etc., may have been fictional, but we have (as yet) no means of arriving at a definitive conclusion either way.

I mean the story of the Trojan War is a fictionalized, dramatic accounting of an event
for which no historicity has ever been established. It does makes a nice story though.

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<d4082878-df4e-4530-a897-7534c1db86c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180698&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180698

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:00:21 -0800 (PST)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 21:00 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 7:21:14 PM UTC, Spam-I-Am wrote:
> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 11:45:24 AM UTC-5, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > The Trojan War is a myth.
> > Could you elaborate on that?
> >
> > The discovery of a city (or, a series of cities) where Troy was said to have been located strongly supports its existence; and the cataclysmic destruction of Troys VI - VIIa (especially VIIa) suggest that it had been besieged and destroyed in a war.
> >
> > The various heroes and their acts of valor, the Trojan Horse, etc., may have been fictional, but we have (as yet) no means of arriving at a definitive conclusion either way.
> I mean the story of the Trojan War is a fictionalized, dramatic accounting of an event
> for which no historicity has ever been established. It does makes a nice story though.
Which doesn't prevent people from trying to find the "real" Troy and establish that the story is based on actual events We did some research on that subject and found:
“The Trojan war: History or bricolage?” Susan Sherratt, 2010, Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies, 18 pages.

In the conclusions section of her paper (p. 17), Dr. Sherratt writes “It is a story made out of inherited elements which by now have passed through many different languages, been adopted as their own by different people and assigned to different times. It is a story which, as a whole, however, makes sense in a particular ideological context, in which it plays a central, structural role. […] Homer’s Trojan War is really a series of accidents of long-term ideological history rather than necessarily, or even probably, a reflection (however distorted) of any actual Greek historical (or prehistoric) event. Among other things, Troy’s position and the regional prominence this gave it for almost two millennia made it a good candidate to become a ‘legendary’ city among many others. It is the result of accidents of the ideological history of the last three millennia that it became the setting of a legendary war in a set of literature which itself survived to perpetuate and disseminate the legend well beyond its original context and to encourage the continuing search for proof of its reality. This is why successive excavators from Schliemann to Korfmann have invested so much time, effort and money in excavating the site at Hissarlik. Though in later cases the initial motives of the excavators for excavating Troy may have varied, the wider public and institutional backing which made the excavations of Blegen and Korfmann possible owed a great deal to an agenda which in several respects hardly differed from that of Schliemann. […]"

There are nine layers of cities at the location, and Troy I dates from 3000-2500 BCE. People tell tales.

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<fe989d0b-4742-4a52-a019-97a8447a43c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180706&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180706

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:18:21 -0800 (PST)
From: hieronym...@gmail.com (Spam-I-Am)
 by: Spam-I-Am - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 21:18 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 4:00:25 PM UTC-5, NancyGene wrote:
> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 7:21:14 PM UTC, Spam-I-Am wrote:

> > > Could you elaborate on that?
> > >
> > > The discovery of a city (or, a series of cities) where Troy was said to have been located strongly supports its existence; and the cataclysmic destruction of Troys VI - VIIa (especially VIIa) suggest that it had been besieged and destroyed in a war.
> > >
> > > The various heroes and their acts of valor, the Trojan Horse, etc., may have been fictional, but we have (as yet) no means of arriving at a definitive conclusion either way.
> > I mean the story of the Trojan War is a fictionalized, dramatic accounting of an event
> > for which no historicity has ever been established. It does makes a nice story though.
> Which doesn't prevent people from trying to find the "real" Troy and establish that the story is based on actual events We did some research on that subject and found:
> “The Trojan war: History or bricolage?” Susan Sherratt, 2010, Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies, 18 pages.
>
> In the conclusions section of her paper (p. 17), Dr. Sherratt writes “It is a story made out of inherited elements which by now have passed through many different languages, been adopted as their own by different people and assigned to different times. It is a story which, as a whole, however, makes sense in a particular ideological context, in which it plays a central, structural role. […] Homer’s Trojan War is really a series of accidents of long-term ideological history rather than necessarily, or even probably, a reflection (however distorted) of any actual Greek historical (or prehistoric) event. Among other things, Troy’s position and the regional prominence this gave it for almost two millennia made it a good candidate to become a ‘legendary’ city among many others. It is the result of accidents of the ideological history of the last three millennia that it became the setting of a legendary war in a set of literature which itself survived to perpetuate and disseminate the legend well beyond its original context and to encourage the continuing search for proof of its reality. This is why successive excavators from Schliemann to Korfmann have invested so much time, effort and money in excavating the site at Hissarlik. Though in later cases the initial motives of the excavators for excavating Troy may have varied, the wider public and institutional backing which made the excavations of Blegen and Korfmann possible owed a great deal to an agenda which in several respects hardly differed from that of Schliemann. […]"
>
> There are nine layers of cities at the location, and Troy I dates from 3000-2500 BCE. People tell tales.

I love stories that are “based on actual events”.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<288fd949-b6ac-4693-9cd2-36d1c1f40fa3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180763&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180763

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 17:14:57 -0800 (PST)
From: rjburrow...@gmail.com (Robert Burrows)
 by: Robert Burrows - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 01:14 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 8:50:14 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 6:27:32 AM UTC-5, Ash Wurthing wrote:

> > > Sorry, Pendragon, this isn't a moderated group.
> > >
> > > Your whining demands are useless here.
> > Your whining trolling, record "correcting"
> It's mainly for the archives, to keep the record straight.
>
> HTH and HAND.
It's mainly for the archives,
to keep the record straight…
(It’s really just for me alone,
it's how I masturbate)

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<c997b1e1-82ff-47d2-8471-3fba5ee8a46an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180771&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180771

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 18:11:43 -0800 (PST)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 02:11 UTC

Robert Burrows wrote:

> On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 8:50:14 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > Your whining trolling, record "correcting"
>> It's mainly for the archives, to keep the record straight.
>>
>> HTH and HAND.

> It's mainly for the archives,
> to keep the record straight…
> (It’s really just for me alone,
> it's how I masturbate)

TMI Robert.

🙂

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<2642c46d-62b6-412e-bd4e-38af12ba7634n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180775&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180775

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 18:34:23 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 02:34 UTC

On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 9:11:44 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> Robert Burrows wrote:

> >> It's mainly for the archives, to keep the record straight.
> >>
> >> HTH and HAND.
>
> > It's mainly for the archives,
> > to keep the record straight…
> > (It’s really just for me alone,
> > it's how I masturbate)
> TMI Robert.

If you don't want Robert posting your "private" business on Usenet, you should stop splooging AAPC on a daily basis.

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<49cdc761940a57b07b5cedce5e17629b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180776&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180776

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 03:24:49 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 03:24 UTC

Michael Pendragon wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> Robert Burrows wrote:

>>> Agreed, that's a striking observation

>> > It's mainly for the archives,
>> > to keep the record straight…
>> > (It’s really just for me alone,
>> > it's how I masturbate)
>
>> TMI Robert.

> If you don't want Robert posting

It doesn't bother me if Robert Burrows posts his fantasy poems here, little monkey.

🙂

Re: Review on (newish) book about Homer

<995399d7-012a-498c-9482-8f27186a4206n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=180827&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#180827

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 02:22:45 -0800 (PST)
From: hieronym...@gmail.com (Spam-I-Am)
 by: Spam-I-Am - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 10:22 UTC

On Friday, November 11, 2022 at 3:28:23 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> Michael Pendragon wrote:
>
> > Will Dockery wrote:

> >> TMI Robert.
>
> > If you don't want Robert posting
> It doesn't bother me if Robert Burrows posts his fantasy poems here, little monkey.
>
> 🙂

Plonk.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Review on (newish) book about Homer