Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. -- Euripides

arts / alt.tv.days-of-our-lives / Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

SubjectAuthor
* Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCRick
+* Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCsuzeeq
|`* Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCRick
| `* Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCsuzeeq
|  `- Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCRick
`- Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCChase

1
Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

<s5pmeq$1am5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=140&group=alt.tv.days-of-our-lives#140

From: ric...@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Subject: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 13:13:01 -0400
 by: Rick - Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:13 UTC

https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/

same old, same old...

Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

<s5pn9i$pp3$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=141&group=alt.tv.days-of-our-lives#141

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 10:27:13 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:27 UTC

On 4/21/2021 10:13 AM, Rick wrote:
> https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/
>

> same old, same old...

It's probably got decent ratings this past year, considering they were
the only show with new episodes while being shut down for pandemic
restroctions.

Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

<78758087-7ce1-4bed-9edd-bf0bbe4790c2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=145&group=alt.tv.days-of-our-lives#145

Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 15:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: chase4e...@gmail.com (Chase)
 by: Chase - Wed, 21 Apr 2021 22:42 UTC

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 10:13:03 AM UTC-7, Rick wrote:
> https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/
>
> same old, same old...
Thanks for the update, Rick. Fingers crossed here. :) (Chase)

Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

<s5qc9s$v10$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=146&group=alt.tv.days-of-our-lives#146

From: ric...@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 19:25:52 -0400
 by: Rick - Wed, 21 Apr 2021 23:25 UTC

"suzeeq" wrote in message news:s5pn9i$pp3$1@solani.org...

>On 4/21/2021 10:13 AM, Rick wrote:
>> https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/
>> same old, same old...
>
>It's probably got decent ratings this past year, considering they were the
>only show with new episodes while being shut down for pandemic
>restroctions.

Actually, no. In spite of being the only soap airing new episodes
throughout 2020, Days continues to lag behind the other three and remains
firmly in last place in the ratings. And I just checked the ratings for
the most recent reported week and the numbers appear to be at an all-time
low, especially in the all-important women 18-49 demo. The show's rating in
this demo is only 0.26, and I can't remember ever seeing it that low.

Doesn't mean the show won't be renewed of course - the network considers it
to have a lot of prestige value - but it does mean any renewal will probably
come with more budget cuts, which could mean more salary reductions and
perhaps more veteran performers dropped.

--

Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

<s5qf7r$t6$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=147&group=alt.tv.days-of-our-lives#147

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:15:53 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 00:15 UTC

On 4/21/2021 04:25 PM, Rick wrote:
> "suzeeq" wrote in message news:s5pn9i$pp3$1@solani.org...
>>
>> On 4/21/2021 10:13 AM, Rick wrote:
>>> https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/
>>> same old, same old...
>>
>> It's probably got decent ratings this past year, considering they were
>> the only show with new episodes while being shut down for pandemic
>> restroctions.
>
> Actually, no. In spite of being the only soap airing new episodes
> throughout 2020, Days continues to lag behind the other three and
> remains firmly in last place in the ratings. And I just checked the
> ratings for the most recent reported week and the numbers appear to be
> at an all-time low, especially in the all-important women 18-49 demo.
> The show's rating in this demo is only 0.26, and I can't remember ever
> seeing it that low.
>
> Doesn't mean the show won't be renewed of course - the network considers
> it to have a lot of prestige value - but it does mean any renewal will
> probably come with more budget cuts, which could mean more salary
> reductions and perhaps more veteran performers dropped.

But can you even compare it to the others on the most recent week only,
when for at least half of the last year the other shows were doing repeats?

Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

<s5qk8p$18br$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=149&group=alt.tv.days-of-our-lives#149

From: ric...@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 21:41:49 -0400
 by: Rick - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 01:41 UTC

"suzeeq" wrote in message news:s5qf7r$t6$1@solani.org...

>On 4/21/2021 04:25 PM, Rick wrote:

>>> It's probably got decent ratings this past year, considering they were
>>> the only show with new episodes while being shut down for pandemic
>>> restroctions.
>>
>> Actually, no. In spite of being the only soap airing new episodes
>> throughout 2020, Days continues to lag behind the other three and remains
>> firmly in last place in the ratings. And I just checked the ratings for
>> the most recent reported week and the numbers appear to be at an all-time
>> low, especially in the all-important women 18-49 demo. The show's rating
>> in this demo is only 0.26, and I can't remember ever seeing it that low.
>>
>> Doesn't mean the show won't be renewed of course - the network considers
>> it to have a lot of prestige value - but it does mean any renewal will
>> probably come with more budget cuts, which could mean more salary
>> reductions and perhaps more veteran performers dropped.
>>
>But can you even compare it to the others on the most recent week only,
>when for at least half of the last year the other shows were doing repeats?

It's not just the most recent week. Throughout 2020 - even when the other
shows were showing reruns - Days still got ratings that were below what the
other shows got both before and after the stoppages. Here are Days' ratings
for last season:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/days-of-our-lives-2019-20-season-ratings/

Notice that the demo numbers dropped throughout the season and ended up at
..34 at the end of the season in September from a high of .50 back in March.
In contrast, here are the ratings for the 2020-21 season:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/days-of-our-lives-2020-21-season-ratings/

Notice the demo started at .32 and dropped way down to .26 in the most
recent rating, which could be an all-time low.

Now look at General Hospital's ratings for comparison. First last year
(2019 - 2020):

Note the demo peaks at .57 in March and drops to .34 at start of the dark
period, return at .38 and ends the season at .37. So even with the
shutdown, it comes back stronger than Days.

For 2020-21, GH has ratings like this:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/general-hospital-2020-21-season-ratings/

Again, the numbers are pretty consistently higher than Days despite the
shutdown and Days staying on air.

I only looked at GH because they are usually closest to Days in ratings,
although they remain consistently in third.

Bottom line is that the shutdown didn't really help Days as much as we
thought it might. In fact, it didn't really help at all.