Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

arts / rec.arts.poems / Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashZod
|`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashRocky Stoneberg
| |`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashVictor H.
| ||+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashVictor H.
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod
| || `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| |`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashRocky Stoneberg
| | `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashVictor H.
| +* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod
| |`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod
`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashZod
 `* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
  `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod

Pages:12
Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<24225d8b704717893babb53aa871131d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5885&group=rec.arts.poems#5885

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:11:50 +0000
Subject: Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash
From: rockysto...@gmail.com (Rocky Stoneberg)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Rocky Stoneberg - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:11 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> George J. Dance wrote:
>> On 2022-05-05 11:03 a.m., Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Were you asleep in the 1990s-2000s, Pendragon?
>>>
>>> Love it or hate it, the hip-hop and rap influence on the current poetry scene is real.
>>>
>>> Look it up.
>>
>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

> <q>
>>>
>>> I learned to begin to embrace rhyme, meter and form, et cetera, in these
>>> later years.

>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>> influence on your doing that.

> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
> on the changes as well.....
> </q>

> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>
>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
> to being seen and read by millions.

>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>

> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

Quite rightly

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<f03445874f90a53ca9a815c77a664f12@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5920&group=rec.arts.poems#5920

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 15:55:58 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 15:55 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>> <q>

>>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>>> influence on your doing that.

>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>> on the changes as well.....
>> </q>

>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>>
>>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>>

>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> Quite rightly

Good afternoon, agreed.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<20edc1a1943db68796ee53677f0a6fad@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=11192&group=rec.arts.poems#11192

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:30:04 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:30 UTC

>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

>> Love ole Ogden Nash....!

> He did have his moments.

> 🙂