Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / Foundation

SubjectAuthor
* FoundationJason Evans
`* Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 +* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 |+* Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 ||`* Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 || +- Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 || `* Re: FoundationThe Last Doctor
 ||  +- Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 ||  `- Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 |`* Re: FoundationDex
 | +* Re: FoundationPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
 | |+- Re: FoundationDex
 | |`* Re: FoundationT987654321
 | | `* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 | |  `* Re: FoundationDex
 | |   `* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 | |    `- Re: FoundationThe Last Doctor
 | +- Re: FoundationYour Name
 | +- Re: FoundationDimensional Traveler
 | `* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 |  `* Re: FoundationDex
 |   +- Re: FoundationPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
 |   +* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 |   |`- Re: FoundationDimensional Traveler
 |   `- Re: FoundationYour Name
 +- Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 `- Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker

Pages:12
Re: Foundation

<3f368deb-9c9c-416c-a270-70ed6167ef3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2042&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2042

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:50:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Foundation
From: pubkeybr...@aol.com (pubkeybreaker)
 by: pubkeybreaker - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 05:50 UTC

On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 11:04:51 PM UTC-4, pubkeybreaker wrote:
> On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 6:45:04 AM UTC-4, Jason Evans wrote:
> > I've never read anything by Asimov and besides a quick introduction to the
> > storyline from YouTube, I knew nothing about the Foundation series so I went
> > into this show with very little information on what to expect.
> >
> > I have to say that I liked it and I thought the casting was spot on.
> > However, I don't think it will last long for two reasons. First, it deals
> > with big ideas.
> <spoiler alert!!>
>

> The acting and cinematography was excellent.
>
> There are some things that are GROSSLY wrong with the TV series. I don't mean piddling
> little things such as Gaal's gender change, or 3 emperor clones or even a bunch of other stuff.
>
> (1) Demerzel is/was Daneel Olivaw. This is an instance where the TV gender change is grossly
> wrong. In the TV series the emperors also know that Demerzel is a robot. This is totally at odds
> with the books; noone at the time of Cleon even knew that robots existed.
>
> (2) Demerzel takes part in the planetoid raid and directly questions people who get shot, as well
> as allowing them to die (!!!) when they don't answer questions. This is in gross violation of the
> robotic laws and totally out of character; Zeroth law notwithstanding.
>
> (3) In the books the first crisis is started by the Anacreon revolt which takes place 50 years
> after the exile to terminus. In the TV show it happens at the time Hari is put on trial and Anacreon
> gets wiped out. This is a fundamental plot incompatibility!!
>
> (4) In the TV show the Foundationers are shipped off to Terminus *without* being allowed to
> use a jumpship. ----> Huh??? at sub-light velocities they will never get there. I don't mind
> having a willing suspension of disbelief to accept technology, but I don't like impossibilities.
>
> There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show. The first two episodes could have been
> done in one. e.g. What was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the peacock???

Note also that in the show the colonists are in possession of a Prime Radiant. It was a FUNDAMENTAL principle
that the colonists could not know what would happen in advance. Having a Radiant (which held all of the equations)
violates that!

Despite all of the plot deviations this show could have been a lot better if the writers had actually read and
UNDERSTOOD the books, along with some editing that caught some of these problems that I have outlined.

Also, where in blazes did Gaal get her mathematical training??

Re: Foundation

<72c17841-e7c1-41c3-8908-953381b1d1e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2043&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2043

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: pubkeybr...@aol.com (pubkeybreaker)
 by: pubkeybreaker - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 05:53 UTC

On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 12:01:01 PM UTC-4, The Last Doctor wrote:
> pubkeybreaker <pubkey...@aol.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > See my earlier comments about Demerzel actively killing people..... A
> > total violation of Asimov's laws of robotics....
> Demerzel is supposedly R. Daneel Olivaw, though - whose distinctive
> difference was the capability of comprehend and act on the Zeroth Law
> without ceasing to function. If the killing was adjudged necessary for the
> good of humanity, Daneel is capable of doing it - and even more capable of
> walking away and letting it happen, or even ordering it done. I haven’t
> watched the scene...

The killing was not to help people or save lives. It was to determine who did the bombing
so they could be punished. I don't see this as "necessary for the good of humanity".