Reality is for people who lack imagination.

arts / alt.tv.survivor / Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)

SubjectAuthor
* S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)Brian Smith
`* Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)zeppo
 `* Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)Brian Smith
  `- Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)zeppo

1
S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)

<8c6b1c56-7db4-4714-b687-eac3c5a1edd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1000&group=alt.tv.survivor#1000

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 20:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)
From: dcg_br...@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 03:50 UTC

I'll have more to say later. For now, my main comment is "Wow, that is not what I was expecting!" I was expecting a lot of drama and epic gameplay to get us into 90 minute long episodes. Did not expect someone to quit and neither did Jeff based on the look on his face. And how did Brandon get cast? The guy is an emotional mess and not the type of person you want on your tribe, especially early on. Emily is casting gold. Hope she lasts a while but she probably won't.

For the most part I'm finding this cast pretty unlikable. CBS needs to go back to the days where they had different casting directors for each of their big reality shows.

--
Brian

Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)

<763b13da-1177-4a19-9023-fdfa6a9f6d42n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1001&group=alt.tv.survivor#1001

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:26:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)
From: rgibbs%t...@gtempaccount.com (zeppo)
 by: zeppo - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:26 UTC

On Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 8:50:13 PM UTC-7, Brian Smith wrote:
> I'll have more to say later. For now, my main comment is "Wow, that is not what I was expecting!" I was expecting a lot of drama and epic gameplay to get us into 90 minute long episodes. Did not expect someone to quit and neither did Jeff based on the look on his face. And how did Brandon get cast? The guy is an emotional mess and not the type of person you want on your tribe, especially early on. Emily is casting gold. Hope she lasts a while but she probably won't.
>
> For the most part I'm finding this cast pretty unlikable. CBS needs to go back to the days where they had different casting directors for each of their big reality shows.

I completely agree. This may well have been the worst season opening episode ever, and Brandon's first impression the worst ever. That tub of goo couldn't do anything, but
yet he managed somehow to stay in the game. Of course, there is always the chance that he will pull himself together and go on to be the winner :-)
Some other thoughts:
-I was prepared to like "truck driver" until she started blathering about the pyramids.
-My choice for the most annoying person after one episode is a tie between "Tai Chi Guy" and "Bartender". "TCG" comes across as a "camera whore" who is
a significantly more athletic version of Yammy. OTOH, I don't have the words to express my total revulsion towards "Bartender".
-With all of that said, I feel that some of the following newbies may have some potential:
-pumped up grad student
-Cuban Entrepreneur and Software Developer both seem pretty smart.
-Civil Rights Lawyer has obviously put a lot of thought into her game.
-The Canadian guy looks like he will be a very strong player. He needs to get close to "Investment manager" (Emily?)

Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)

<22c1668f-c020-41f7-8ef9-78f82a273bf3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1002&group=alt.tv.survivor#1002

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:31:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: dcg_br...@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:31 UTC

On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 10:26:56 AM UTC-6, zeppo wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 8:50:13 PM UTC-7, Brian Smith wrote:
> > I'll have more to say later. For now, my main comment is "Wow, that is not what I was expecting!" I was expecting a lot of drama and epic gameplay to get us into 90 minute long episodes. Did not expect someone to quit and neither did Jeff based on the look on his face. And how did Brandon get cast? The guy is an emotional mess and not the type of person you want on your tribe, especially early on. Emily is casting gold. Hope she lasts a while but she probably won't.
> >
> > For the most part I'm finding this cast pretty unlikable. CBS needs to go back to the days where they had different casting directors for each of their big reality shows.
> I completely agree. This may well have been the worst season opening episode ever, and Brandon's first impression the worst ever. That tub of goo couldn't do anything, but
> yet he managed somehow to stay in the game. Of course, there is always the chance that he will pull himself together and go on to be the winner :-)

When Brandon started crying during the intros I was like "WTF is wrong with this guy?!" He's lucky Hannah turned out to be a bigger disaster than himself. Did she do any actual preparation for the season? She's claiming now she quit because she wanted to eat. She should have known from watching the show that tribes often have little or no food at first.

If Brandon wins then we're in for super powerful advantages this season.

> Some other thoughts:
> -I was prepared to like "truck driver" until she started blathering about the pyramids.

Emily's reaction during that talk was pretty funny.

> -My choice for the most annoying person after one episode is a tie between "Tai Chi Guy" and "Bartender". "TCG" comes across as a "camera whore" who is
> a significantly more athletic version of Yammy. OTOH, I don't have the words to express my total revulsion towards "Bartender".

I'm drawing a blank when it comes who the bartender is. Is TCG Sifu? If so, I thought he was martial arts? He's kinda funny.
> -With all of that said, I feel that some of the following newbies may have some potential:
> -pumped up grad student

Drew? That dude looks super tall! He's either going to the end or will be out early.
> -Cuban Entrepreneur and Software Developer both seem pretty smart.
> -Civil Rights Lawyer has obviously put a lot of thought into her game.

She impressed me. Side note: I need to learn their names!

> -The Canadian guy looks like he will be a very strong player. He needs to get close to "Investment manager" (Emily?)

One thing I really hate about 3 tribe seasons is that if one tribe starts off with a horrible selection of players they can't really sacrifice anyone to better the tribe. If I was Yellow, I'd be super tempted to throw the next challenge if it looked unwinnable. Then I'd vote Brandon off.

I thought they did a horrible job of taking advantage of 90 minutes. For example, during the Sweat/Savvy challenge why did they barely show the puzzle component? I'm talking about them literally not letting us see the entire thing. I have no idea exactly what it is they were expected to do.

--
Brian

Re: S45 Ep01 Spoilers and Comments (9/27/2023)

<798bb2a0-b62d-41c1-b32e-9c04c11240c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1003&group=alt.tv.survivor#1003

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 19:14:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: rgibbs%t...@gtempaccount.com (zeppo)
 by: zeppo - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 02:14 UTC

On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 3:31:09 PM UTC-7, Brian Smith wrote:

> He's lucky Hannah turned out to be a bigger disaster than himself. Did she do any actual preparation for the season? She's claiming now she quit because she wanted to eat. She should >have known from watching the show that tribes often have little or no food at first.

And to make it even funnier, she says that she works as a "therapist" IRL.

> If Brandon wins then we're in for super powerful advantages this season.

Heh! I'm feeling pretty confident that Brandon is not going to win. But if somebody had told me six months ago that Yammy and Carolyn would both make the
S44 F3, I would have laughed out loud.

> > -I was prepared to like "truck driver" until she started blathering about the pyramids.
> Emily's reaction during that talk was pretty funny.

According to her profile on ET, she spent four years on active duty in the USMC. That's impressive. So, I'm hoping that the pyramid stuff was an aberration,
and that she turns out to be a relatively normal sort of person.

> I'm drawing a blank when it comes who the bartender is.

She's on Blue Tribe, and she is obsessed with astrology.

> Is TCG Sifu? If so, I thought he was martial arts?

He said that he had been practicing Tai Chi for 25 years. And Sifu isn't even his name...it's Nicholas. In his dojo, or wherever the hell he does his
Tai Chi, "Sifu" means "master". So, now we have Probst, and all the players, calling this nutcase "master".

> > -pumped up grad student
> Drew? That dude looks super tall! He's either going to the end or will be out early.

There are two grad students: "Buff GS" who found the beware advantage, and "stick insect GS" who writes poetry and goes to a lot
of frat parties. Guess which one I think has the best chance of winning?

> One thing I really hate about 3 tribe seasons is that if one tribe starts off with a horrible selection of players they can't really sacrifice anyone to better the tribe. If I was Yellow, I'd be super >tempted to throw the next challenge if it looked unwinnable. Then I'd vote Brandon off.

They'd still be O.K without him IMO. Canadian Guy, Truck Driver, and Gay Principal are all going to be good in the physical challenges, and Investment Analyst is
undoubtably very smart. She just needs to put a secure lid on her ego.

> For example, during the Sweat/Savvy challenge why did they barely show the puzzle component? I'm talking about them literally not letting us see the entire thing. I have no idea exactly >what it is they were expected to do.

They had to pull the flint, and the rope it was tied to, from the metal structure. FWIW, we did see a brief shot of a member of the Dream Team turning the trick.
Of course, Carson would have had it figured out faster than it would take Truck Driver to change into her fetching pink pyjamas. :-)