Subject: ...<Disco spoiler alert!> ...and you thought Geordi was not ready for Chief Engineer...!
From: John Crane
Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 18:32 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.current
From: joh...@localhost.net (John Crane)
Subject: ...<Disco spoiler alert!> ...and you thought Geordi was not ready for
Chief Engineer...!
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:32:50 -0600
View all headers
Tilly?  This is a joke, right?  For me, it's to the point of damaging believability - which is critical for SF. Evidently the all-feel no-think liberal writers have no experience with real leadership.

While Tilly has made great strides, there is still an incredible amount of learning and growth that needs to happen before she is ready for this.  Not to mention the rank disparity, and negative effect on crew morale because of the decision.  'Why should I work hard and progress through the ranks - when this can happen?', etc.

Personally, I would have asked the Admiral for a replacement.  Use this person as a liaison to the new time,federation,fleet, etc.

-John

From: The Horny Goat
Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 19:11 UTC
From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 11:11:14 -0800
View all headers
On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:32:50 -0600, John Crane <john@localhost.net>
wrote:

Tilly?  This is a joke, right?  For me, it's to the point of damaging
believability - which is critical for SF. Evidently the all-feel
no-think liberal writers have no experience with real leadership.

While Tilly has made great strides, there is still an incredible amount
of learning and growth that needs to happen before she is ready for
this.  Not to mention the rank disparity, and negative effect on crew
morale because of the decision.  'Why should I work hard and progress
through the ranks - when this can happen?', etc.

Personally, I would have asked the Admiral for a replacement.  Use this
person as a liaison to the new time,federation,fleet, etc.

Presumably you would prefer her "mirror" alter-ego!

From: John Crane
Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 23:49 UTC
Subject: Re: ...<Disco spoiler alert!> ...and you thought Geordi was not ready
for Chief Engineer...!
Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.current
From: joh...@localhost.net (John Crane)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 17:49:06 -0600
View all headers
On 11/28/2020 01:11 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:

Presumably you would prefer her "mirror" alter-ego!

  It's not a preference.  It's a matter of leadership.  Those laws were written long before I was born.  Education, training, emotional stability, and intelligence are but the starting ingredients. Over time, those can evolve into experience, maturity, confidence, and wisdom. All needed for leadership.

I think it's a lack of understanding on the part of the writers.  I've seen other signs that they tend to see things only from the narrow viewpoint of someone in the entertainment industry. There were instances   where they seem to think command is nothing more than an 'acting' job one performs in front of the crew.  And they regularly misinterpret intelligence as education/training, or worse: 'general competence' in all things. Perhaps in addition to science advisers, they should have some military advisers as well.

Even in today's Navy, there is no way an Ensign who was a Cadet a year ago, gets to be XO of a cruiser class ship.  A PT boat maybe, but not a ship the size of Discovery.

Of course, I could be wrong and the writers see all this.  It could all be a prelude to the court-martial of Saru, over his gross incompetence. With Burnham's record, she should never have made XO.  Now Tilly.  Seems like Saru has a long way to go as well.

I realize the writers are striving for a 'maverick type' like Kirk, in the character of Burnham; but they are going overboard with it. Kirk bucked authority and made calculated risks; and had an excellent sense of intuition.  Burnham, on the other hand, is just reckless.  Perhaps this is known to the writers as well.  Recklessness as an emotional rebound from the years of rigid Vulcan training.  So she must come to grips with herself as a human.  That emotional instability should have been detected by starfleet medical, and treated.  You don't give an unstable person command over others - ref 'Doomsday Machine' and Commodore Decker.

my $0.02
-J