From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:47:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:47 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
> https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>
> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
> used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
> is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
> was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
> story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
> a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.
>
> One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
> my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
> spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
> infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
> making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
> light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.
>
> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
> originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
> Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
> not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
> married ?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy
>
> Jo Walton's much better review is at:
> https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/
>
> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)

"There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
Ecclesiastes:

5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
their heart.*

* [5:19] The joys of life, though temporary and never
assured, keep one from dwelling on the ills which afflict
humanity.

<https://bible.usccb.org/bible/ecclesiastes/5?19=#25005019>

One of the joys in my life is to read a comprehensive review after a
story's finished. Here's a deep dive dissection, a feast free for the
taking:

<https://www.heinleinsociety.org/citizen-of-the-galaxy-review/>

Although all of the reviews ignore her, anthropologist Dr Margaret
Mader's a memorable character to me. She's obviously Heinlein's
analog to Margaret Mead.

Thank you Lynn for reminding me of how highly Heinlein's esteemed.
He's earned enough esteem for an entire society to be created in his
honor.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<usoiie$36o0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1098&group=alt.fan.heinlein#1098

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:35:42 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:35 UTC

On 3/10/2024 8:47 PM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>> https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>
>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
>> used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
>> is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
>> was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
>> story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
>> a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.
>>
>> One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
>> my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
>> spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
>> infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
>> making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
>> light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.
>>
>> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
>> originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
>> Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
>> not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
>> married ?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy
>>
>> Jo Walton's much better review is at:
>> https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/
>>
>> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)
>
> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
> Ecclesiastes:
>
> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
> their heart.*

> * [5:19] The joys of life, though temporary and never
> assured, keep one from dwelling on the ills which afflict
> humanity.
>
> <https://bible.usccb.org/bible/ecclesiastes/5?19=#25005019>
>
> One of the joys in my life is to read a comprehensive review after a
> story's finished. Here's a deep dive dissection, a feast free for the
> taking:
>
> <https://www.heinleinsociety.org/citizen-of-the-galaxy-review/>
>
> Although all of the reviews ignore her, anthropologist Dr Margaret
> Mader's a memorable character to me. She's obviously Heinlein's
> analog to Margaret Mead.
>
> Thank you Lynn for reminding me of how highly Heinlein's esteemed.
> He's earned enough esteem for an entire society to be created in his
> honor.
>
> Danke,

You are welcome !

Lynn

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<ussgmk$10pv9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1102&group=alt.fan.heinlein#1102

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:28:19 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:28 UTC

On 10/03/2024 20.47, Don wrote:

> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
> Ecclesiastes:
>
> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of

Wouldn't Ec 3:1 be a closer match to that line?

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven

--
Michael F. Stemper
This sentence no verb.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l5e04vFm1luU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1103&group=alt.fan.heinlein#1103

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: 13 Mar 2024 15:47:43 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:47 UTC

In article <ussgmk$10pv9$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/03/2024 20.47, Don wrote:
>
>> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
>> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
>> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
>> Ecclesiastes:
>>
>> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
>> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
>
>Wouldn't Ec 3:1 be a closer match to that line?
>
> For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven

Best stated in Byrds 3:34
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240313a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1104&group=alt.fan.heinlein#1104

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:47:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:47 UTC

Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> Don wrote:
>
>> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
>> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
>> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
>> Ecclesiastes:
>>
>> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
>> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
>
> Wouldn't Ec 3:1 be a closer match to that line?
>
> For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven

Yes indeed, Ec 3:1 is a more meaningful match. Ec 5:19 is presented as
an add-on, an antithesis, a tonic to this:

Our national pastime isn't baseball. It's what the Bible calls
"condemning the world." We generally enjoy pronouncing curses
upon those whom we see as trouble, wrong, or evil. Don't
believe me? Listen to almost any podcast, cable news network,
or social media platform to hear it. It will be some version
of: "We all agree that if they are eradicated, things will be
great." Condemning is almost always clothed in virtue. It
basks in its good intentions. That's why it is so attractive.
Condemning seems like our best path to saving what is good.

What a shock, then, to hear Jesus announce: "For God did not
send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that
the world might be saved through him" (Jn 3:17). He comes to
save the world, as we all want, but he will accomplish it
without an act of condemnation. How hard it is to accept this!
Condemning feels godlike. I judge who and what must be lost
to protect the good. But in the light of Jesus' endless mercy
and love, this is the least godlike thing we can do.

Lenten challenge: This week, I invite you to give up the
delicious experience of condemning whomever in the world
you most would like to see gone. Perhaps write down their
names. Secondly, I invite you to consider fasting from any
media that feeds the tasty but deadly tendency to condemn.

- Father John Muir

Danke,