If you go out of your mind, do it quietly, so as not to disturb those around you.

arts / rec.arts.comics.creative / LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"

SubjectAuthor
* LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"Drew Nilium
+* Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"deucexm
|`- Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"Drew Nilium
`* Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"Amabel Holland
 `- Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"Drew Nilium

1
LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"

<sk8867$q7u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1159&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1159

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative,alt.comics.lnh
Subject: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 03:29:14 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 03:29 UTC

,NN
,:NNNN
::NNNNNN
::NNNNNNNN
,LLLLLLL ,:NNNNNNNNNN ,NNNNNNNN ,hhhhhhh
,:LLLLLLL ::NNNNNNNNNNNN ,:NNNNNNNN ,:hhhhhhh
::LLLLLLL ::NNNNNNNNNNNNNN ::NNNNNNNN ::hhhhhhh
::LLLLLLL ::NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ::NNNNNNNN ::hhhhhhh
::LLLLLLL ::NNNNNNNNnNNNNNNNNN ::NNNNNNNNhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
::LLLLLLL ::NNNNNNNN:::NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
::LLLLLLL ::NNNNNNNN ':NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
::LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLNNNNNNNN ':NNNNNNNNNNNNNN::::::::::::::hhhhhhh
::LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLNNNNNNNN ':NNNNNNNNNNNN ::hhhhhhh
::LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLNNNNNNNN ':NNNNNNNNN ::hhhhhhh
'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::' ':NNNNNNN ':::::::'
':NNNNN
':NNN
':N
'
L E G I O N O F N E T . H E R O E S V O L U M E T H R E E
Issue #4: Nil Custodes Carborundum

====

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Your Grace.”

“I know that one,” said Vimes. “Who watches the watchmen? Me, Mr. Pessimal.”

“Ah, but who watches you, Your Grace?” said the inspector with a brief little
smile.

“I do that, too. All the time,” said Vimes. “Believe me.”

– Terry Pratchett, Thud!

====

September 12, 2021.

Out there in the Usenetverse, a lot of terrible and difficult things are
happening, things that are hard to ignore, hard to let sink into the back of
your head as you go about your day. Yet we do, and we live; and this story isn't
about those, not directly.

But those terrible and difficult things have left their imprint on the
Loonivearth, and the city of Net.ropolis, where the Legion of Net.Heroes
resides, for this planet and this city are where the barriers between newsgroup-
worlds are most open. For instance, a clan of orcs, seeking refuge from the
great and terrible battles decimating rec.games.frp.dnd, found themselves in
the city. But they did not find a place for themselves, and ended up, like so
many others who fall between the cracks, huddling in the night for warmth,
beneath one of the overpasses supporting the maglev train lines that take
Net.ropolitans to their everyday jobs and back to their homes.

But the Legion sees those who have fallen between the cracks as members of the
people they have sworn to protect. So tonight, Captain Continuity is there,
talking to the orcs, finding out what they need and helping figure out where
they can fit.

But suddenly, the dark overpass is flooded with light, and a booming,
artificially amplified voice says, "ATTENTION. YOU HAVE FIVE MINUTES TO CLEAR
OUT."

Captain Continuity had been kneeling next to a pregnant orc, talking about local
midwives experienced with xenospecies. One finger quietly clicks on a signal
device to alert the Legion to trouble, and the next four minutes are spent
letting the orcs know he can help with this, and helping them move their things
out of the way, just in case.

Four and a half minutes later, Captain Continuity steps forward into the
brightest part of the light, hands raised in the air, squinting. Somewhere
behind the searing brightness, there's a huge, chunky figure - a robot, about,
mmm, twelve feet tall. And the only ones who would give a warning like that,
theoretically thoughtful yet practically inadequate, are... "Hello, officer.
What seems to be the trouble? My friends and I were just--"

SKRVAM! The impact explodes thru Captain Continuity, power ebbing away-- some
kind of-- Retcon Ray--

falling--

a shadow--

many shadows... a voice...

"Don't worry, Cap. You're safe."

gratefully, captain continuity sunk into...

"Unconscious, but okay." Golden Man straightened up, peering at the robot.
"What *is* that thing?"

"The VSX-42 Net.Weapons and Net.Tactics Robo," said Renegade Programmer,
glaring up at the lights. "A collaborative project between the Legion and the
Net.ropolis Police Department, designed to stop LNHers who've been mind-
controlled, driven berserk, or otherwise gone rogue."

"But *not* ones who are just helping people, loitering or not." Felix Landers,
the Fearless Leader of the Legion of Net.Heroes, sized up the situation. Captain
Continuity was a big hitter, so when he called for backup, they brought a
fistful of net.heroes, and it looked like the robot was waiting for them to make
the first move. "Do we have any gadgets that could disable it?"

"Nope!" said Kid Enthusiastic. "I mean, I could probably make something if we
went back to LNHQ but that seems like a really bad idea right now!"

"Well. Yes." Felix's tactical genius went to work. "Cliche Dude, get an
audiovisual feed of this to Multi-Tasking Man." Depending on how things went
down, MTM could send backup, and worst came to worst, they'd at least have a
record of it.

"I'm ready for your closeup!"

"Can-Handle-Any-Type-of-Change-Except-for-the-Ultimate-Ninja-Wearing-a-Cape Lad,
get the orcs out of here." A valued teammate in a crisis, but you didn't want
someone around whose one enormous weakness was in their name when you were
dealing with a machine created to exploit their weaknesses.

"Already on it."

"Golden Man, Marvel Zombie Girl, You're-Not-Hitting-Me-Hard-Enough Lad, get
ready to charge." Hopefully it wouldn't come to that, but where net.hero
conflicts were concerned, a lot of things came down to a no-holds-barred brawl.

"I'll show this punk how we used to deal with ratbags in the old neighborhood!"

"Just say the word."

"Ready as ever, FL!"

"Kid Enthusiastic, Renegade Programmer, see if we can find a way in, see what
makes this thing tick, and be ready to take it apart."

"Scanning on all frequencies!"

"Always wanted to hack something I helped make unhackable."

Okay. Time to make the first move. "Hell Catalyst?"

"Got it!" She took a few nice big steps forward and lifted a megaphone to her
lips. "Hey th--"

A sudden cacophony of sound drowned Hell Catalyst out, and she dropped the
megaphone as all the net.heroes clapped their hands over their ears.

"I don't think so, net.hero," said a smarmy, self-satisfied voice, the volume
turned down to 'loud but not booming'. "This cockpit's protected against your
kind of psychic assault."

"Damn," snarled Marvel Zombie Girl, "the Buzzard!"

The Buzzard was the bad boy of the Net.ropolis Police Department. He'd been
accused a number of times of mistreating prisoners, falsifying evidence, and
other kinds of misconduct. He'd always been cleared, but every net.hero avoided
working with him when they could.

Diplomacy probably wouldn't work on his sort, but it was always worth a try.
Felix summoned up his sternest, most booming voice, the one he used when
Obnoxious Ame.rec.a Boy tried to pick a fight with a kiwi. "Pardon me, but
you've attacked a member of the Legion on authorized business - with *no*
provocation whatsoever."

"Long-term habitation under bridges is illegal in this city, didn't'cha know?
And I just saw a *chronic* accessory to this crime." The Buzzard's voice
redefined the term 'conceited'. And 'obnoxious'. "So I figured it was time to
teach him a lesson."

Felix wondered if this asshole was really that petty, or if he was using this
nonsense as an excuse to take out some other vendetta. At this point, it didn't
really matter. "Well, you've made your point, so we'll be taking our man home."

"No way. I'm bringing this guy in-- and if any of you net.heroes want to stop
an officer of the peace making a lawful arrest, I'll bring you downtown too!"

This was bad. Their heavy hitters could dogpile the robot and probably take it
out, but no telling how much damage it'd inflict, with the ways it could take
advantage of their weaknesses. And possibly worse... if they were fighting on
the street with the police against the thing they'd created as a gesture of
trust... what would the public think? That they'd changed their mind and decided
to go full net.villain?

"Pard'n me."

"Oh, sorry--" Fearless Leader snapped out of his worrisome fugue and stared.

A figure pushed thru the crowd of net.heroes, each one stepping back in
confusion. He was holding a book tucked under one arm, and in the other hand, a
big brown bottle with no label, just "XXX" written on it in marker. And, most
puzzlingly, it was William Trouser, Chief of Police for the Net.ropolis PD.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"

<55ee8026-aaf3-41d3-aa60-c60f70c02d80n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1161&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1161

From: deuc...@gmail.com (deucexm)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 00:30:51 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
d=1e100.net; s=20210112;
h=x-gm-message-state:path:newsgroups:date:in-reply-to:injection-info
:nntp-posting-host:references:user-agent:mime-version:message-id
:subject:from:injection-date:to;
bh=qPjJO36bD96cK3BXFCTwvySZ8bV9hvNHgYIBS3IeI9g=;
b=k3Ib/Uhcd6b3Noq/oAi7mZDOhifzlIcrWBcAW6PXHwd581UX0Yq3p8NYu47qZhuLQ4
P1WDmlSWcbcF3ZhiKgrSlo4weVS9KxFvZ1Z73Wj1U8K1ks5SCyrl2oWJq7B7MA4WyzPV
IfpBWewv90eOCwUxC7eJXwMGRVyLQtbAYc5ugfLhvFwGVIOE2phxH5048sfB68Zea4ME
ZXy+G5jc3pETBqVDMxsy4iDv5izgZF9uqbCyk41a/Sutgv2uHoWihSQXiEizy69y7dGt
kaiSea8DPQBDlwXwy3Ri86y7x5Il6luvp2n/IaO1+I67BhxfHmv+RPwRzPMYmCk87YrR
hyIA==
 by: deucexm - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 00:30 UTC

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 10:29:15 PM UTC-5, Drew Perron wrote:
> a bunch of cool stuff

I wasn't entirely sure where you were going with this at the outset, but it was
delightfully and poignantly done.

I miss Sir Terry. I like to think he'd appreciate this. In the absence of
any certainty on that point, I definitely appreciated reading it.

-Felix

Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"

<skajm8$adc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1162&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1162

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 00:57:46 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 00:57 UTC

On 10/14/21 8:30 PM, deucexm wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 10:29:15 PM UTC-5, Drew Perron wrote:
>> a bunch of cool stuff
>
> I wasn't entirely sure where you were going with this at the outset, but it was
> delightfully and poignantly done.

Oh good, that's just the effect I wanted. ^#^

> I miss Sir Terry. I like to think he'd appreciate this. In the absence of
> any certainty on that point, I definitely appreciated reading it.

Thank you so much!! <3 <3 <3

Drew "always worried about over- or under-doing it" Nilium

Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"

<43164713-997e-4f93-81db-a75c5356ef5dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1163&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1163

From: hollands...@gmail.com (Amabel Holland)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 01:06:03 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
d=1e100.net; s=20210112;
h=x-gm-message-state:path:newsgroups:date:in-reply-to:injection-info
:nntp-posting-host:references:user-agent:mime-version:message-id
:subject:from:injection-date:to:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=JUK9AdUTSscYjZEv3710paFHd+FvowVYgb5dvCPvjmc=;
b=jgkBWyuG8Exo3omk9KamWWcHh1LOgjiDN0syUIfasPDjN0B9bNvs4yc0rwJjqXIyN2
PCWABv6lJJC39zXk1sZ4cI3k9tUX77RFLfmOoafdApu8o5vKAhf91asRVYxsIbPaOQqY
IIJe/85qLz0r6v8C9m1HDqnI4kwauYzOkCcxJIJFK3Ooi2aqLXKNHamFv42JR+E4g0iD
Y8T/7rWOe7ewkUMAmTzeULvu9vfzivAC/rNcdDok9ARta6XAchn7CzcUqA8O+6Y7Bq7P
L6S46osO+s27dS0HCtGwfaHzhCw5fP9LmS0aFpYYuw3+X/nv72W8KzIscPcw97WpdsAE
k55A==
 by: Amabel Holland - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 01:06 UTC

Drew, this was lovely, thoughtful, empathetic - *human*. One of the things I like most about your work, and especially your best work, is that you (and your characters) very clearly care, and deeply, about people, about the world, about justice. You're kind when you need to be kind, and angry when you need to be angry, and it's one of many reasons why I'm happy to call you a friend.

Thank you for writing this.

Re: LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #4: "Nil Custodes Carborundum"

<skcaln$97d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1166&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1166

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:36:12 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:36 UTC

Awwwwww. >#>

> One of the things I like most about your work, and especially your best work, is that you (and your characters) very clearly care, and deeply, about people, about the world, about justice.

YEAH!!! <3 It's like... why even do stories about good and evil if they're not
going to be about the good that needs to be done against the real evils of the
world?

> You're kind when you need to be kind, and angry when you need to be angry, and it's one of many reasons why I'm happy to call you a friend.

Awwwwww!! <#< Right back atcha, hon. >#>

> Thank you for writing this.

You're very welcome!! <3

Drew "I'm really proud of it" Nilium