If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?

arts / rec.music.classical.guitar / Re: guitar support

SubjectAuthor
* guitar supportBernie Cosell
+* Re: guitar supportKen Dunlap
|`* Re: guitar supportgtr
| `- Re: guitar supportKen Dunlap
+- Re: guitar supportTed Haskell
+* Re: guitar supportTobiah
|`* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
| `* Re: guitar supportBernie Cosell
|  `* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
|   +- Re: guitar supportKen Blake
|   `* Re: guitar supportBernie Cosell
|    `- Re: guitar supportKen Blake
`* Re: guitar supportPaul Carmichael
 +* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
 |`* Re: guitar supportPaul Carmichael
 | `* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
 |  `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
 |   +* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
 |   |`* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
 |   | `* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
 |   |  `- Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
 |   `* Re: guitar supportdsi1
 |    `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
 |     +- Re: guitar supportKen Blake
 |     `* Re: guitar supportdsi1
 |      +* Re: guitar supportKen Blake
 |      |`* Re: guitar supportdsi1
 |      | `- Re: guitar supportKen Blake
 |      `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
 |       `* Re: guitar supportdsi1
 |        `* Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
 |         `- Re: guitar supportdsi1
 `* Re: guitar supportBernie Cosell
  +- Re: guitar supportSteven Bornfeld
  `* Re: guitar supportJohn
   `- Re: guitar supportJohn

Pages:12
Re: guitar support

<425b54c4-2dc4-4ee7-8aaf-edd4f3d961aen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1152&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1152

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 10:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: guitar support
From: johnreth...@gmail.com (John)
 by: John - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:47 UTC

You probably saw this comparison chart at Strings by Mail, but just in case:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/pages/best-guitar-support-guide-44.html

John R.

Re: guitar support

<tffmqu$9vb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1156&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1156

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:41:17 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:41 UTC

On 9/6/2022 11:13 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2022 15:00:12 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> El Tue, 06 Sep 2022 07:31:30 -0700, Ken Blake escribió:

>>> What was the lasting damage the footstool did? I always played with a
>>> footstool, then bought and switched to a support about four years ago.
>>> After about a year, I realized that the support was making me very
>>> uncomfortable and I went back to the footstool.
>>
>> Serious back pain. It doesn't affect most people, but I know quite a few
>> that it has affected.
>

> Ok, not to disagree, but are you sure that was the cause of the back
> pain? Many people (me for example) get back pain as they get older. In
> my case, it's caused by spinal stenosis.

It's funny (not ha ha funny)--I recently joined the NYC Classical Guitar
Orchestra--and over half were using supports of some kind in lieu of
footstools.
In my case I developed sciatic pain--actually numbness of the leg all
the way down. I've used Dynarette cushions since then. Of course there
are back problems. In the words of a neurologist I consulted, "Don't
bother getting an mri; you're over 60--you're going to have bulges,
you're going to have herniations." So I got an MRI and he was right.
(The pain got worse, and more alarmingly my leg was starting to collapse
under me if I walked down stairs).
So I don't think the footstool CAUSED the sciatic problem, but it did
exacerbate it. Eventually most of the symptoms resolved, with physical
therapy.
The rap on Dynarette is that it is slippery, and doesn't stabilize the
guitar very well. This is true, but I've been able to adjust. Also, my
guitar has a matte finish, so I don't think suction cups would work too
well.

Re: guitar support

<tffn11$cfc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1157&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1157

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:44:31 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:44 UTC

On 9/6/2022 4:17 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> } In the spirit of recommending what one owns, Sageworks.
>
> That looks like a great support! I'm concerned about trying to glue
> magnets inside my guitar -- was that easier to do than it sounds like?
> Is seems like it is tricky...
>
> Found the howto video
>
> https://vimeo.com/62797844
>
> it's very clever how he does it. Two things that are misleading in it.
>
> First, that you can do it with the guitar still strung. I certainly
> couldn't do that [big clumsy hands and with my luck I'd break a string
> :o)]. If I'm going to loosen the strings so much that I can get my hand
> through, I'd just as soon take the opportunity to put on a new set :o)
>
> Second: getting it off. I'm very familiar with command strips [we use
> them for everything :o)] and it is *hard/tricky* to get command strips off
> cleanly. If you watch the video, imagine what he's doing but through the
> sound hole of the guitar. And if you don't pull the tab _just_right_ it
> disconnects from the rest of adhesive strip and you're done in. [as he
> demonstrates, you need to pull the strip to the side, but that hasn't
> worked well for me in practice [I have a few places where I ended up with a
> bit of pain pulled off the wall :(] and that's pulling the in the normal
> direction -- straight. Obviously you can't to that for the support magnets
> -- you'd have to pull the tab up through the sound board -- and if you tear
> the strip there's no way you could get inside your guitar body to try to
> peel it off. my guess is it best to consider the installation
> permanent..:o)
>
> BUT: I have to admit that it looks like a *great* support.. now I gotta go
> think about it.
>
> Thanks for the pointer!!
>
> /Bernie\

Don't know if you follow Bradford Werner--he reviews several guitar
supports here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJQm4iYUTww

Re: guitar support

<11rmhhpi7ommuln8itene7mjr807126f33@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1159&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1159

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 09:56:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 16:56 UTC

On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:41:17 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
<dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 9/6/2022 11:13 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On 6 Sep 2022 15:00:12 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Serious back pain. It doesn't affect most people, but I know quite a few
>>> that it has affected.
>>

>> Ok, not to disagree, but are you sure that was the cause of the back
>> pain? Many people (me for example) get back pain as they get older. In
>> my case, it's caused by spinal stenosis.
>

>It's funny (not ha ha funny)--I recently joined the NYC Classical Guitar
>Orchestra--and over half were using supports of some kind in lieu of
>footstools.

Interestingly I know one guitarist (a very good one, in my opinion)
who I've seen perform using *both* a cushion and a footstool at the
same time. Why? I don't know. I'll ask him the next time I see him do
it.

>In my case I developed sciatic pain--actually numbness of the leg all
>the way down. I've used Dynarette cushions since then. Of course there
>are back problems. In the words of a neurologist I consulted, "Don't
>bother getting an mri; you're over 60--you're going to have bulges,
>you're going to have herniations." So I got an MRI and he was right.
>(The pain got worse, and more alarmingly my leg was starting to collapse
>under me if I walked down stairs).
>So I don't think the footstool CAUSED the sciatic problem, but it did
>exacerbate it. Eventually most of the symptoms resolved, with physical
>therapy.

I've had about a dozen physical therapy sessions and I continue to do
the exercises I learned there almost every day.

Has it helped? I'm not sure. If it has, only slightly. I still have
the symptoms. Mostly when I walk more than 1/4 mile or so, I get pain
in my left leg and if I don't stop walking, it spreads to my lower
back.

One thing that usually alleviates the pain, at least to some extent,
is leaning forward against a wall.

I've given up any expectations of the problem ever going away (I'm
almost 85). As long as I don't walk too far, I can live with it. Since
these days, I spend most of my time in the house (my wife has more
serious problems and I don't want to leave her alone for long), I
don't have pain often.

>The rap on Dynarette is that it is slippery, and doesn't stabilize the
>guitar very well. This is true, but I've been able to adjust. Also, my
>guitar has a matte finish, so I don't think suction cups would work too
>well.

Another "interestingly": I've seen David Russell play many times, both
giving concerts and master classes. In concerts he's always played
with a footstool, but in the master classes, he's usually used a
support with suction cups. Why the inconsistency? I don't know.

Re: guitar support

<tfgqgo$ilt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1161&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1161

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 21:50:15 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 01:50 UTC

On 9/9/2022 12:56 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:41:17 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/6/2022 11:13 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Ok, not to disagree, but are you sure that was the cause of the back
>>> pain? Many people (me for example) get back pain as they get older. In
>>> my case, it's caused by spinal stenosis.
>>

>> It's funny (not ha ha funny)--I recently joined the NYC Classical Guitar
>> Orchestra--and over half were using supports of some kind in lieu of
>> footstools.
>

> Interestingly I know one guitarist (a very good one, in my opinion)
> who I've seen perform using *both* a cushion and a footstool at the
> same time. Why? I don't know. I'll ask him the next time I see him do
> it.
>

>> In my case I developed sciatic pain--actually numbness of the leg all
>> the way down. I've used Dynarette cushions since then. Of course there
>> are back problems. In the words of a neurologist I consulted, "Don't
>> bother getting an mri; you're over 60--you're going to have bulges,
>> you're going to have herniations." So I got an MRI and he was right.
>> (The pain got worse, and more alarmingly my leg was starting to collapse
>> under me if I walked down stairs).
>> So I don't think the footstool CAUSED the sciatic problem, but it did
>> exacerbate it. Eventually most of the symptoms resolved, with physical
>> therapy.
>
> I've had about a dozen physical therapy sessions and I continue to do
> the exercises I learned there almost every day.
>
> Has it helped? I'm not sure. If it has, only slightly. I still have
> the symptoms. Mostly when I walk more than 1/4 mile or so, I get pain
> in my left leg and if I don't stop walking, it spreads to my lower
> back.
>
> One thing that usually alleviates the pain, at least to some extent,
> is leaning forward against a wall.
>
> I've given up any expectations of the problem ever going away (I'm
> almost 85). As long as I don't walk too far, I can live with it. Since
> these days, I spend most of my time in the house (my wife has more
> serious problems and I don't want to leave her alone for long), I
> don't have pain often.

I'm sure the appropriate PT must depend on just what is causing the
pain. Most of my sciatic problem is gone--except sometimes my lower leg
still goes numb.
I have to get out and walk. Lost my wife about a year and a half ago; I
try to spend time outside--better for my head.

>> The rap on Dynarette is that it is slippery, and doesn't stabilize the
>> guitar very well. This is true, but I've been able to adjust. Also, my
>> guitar has a matte finish, so I don't think suction cups would work too
>> well.
>

> Another "interestingly": I've seen David Russell play many times, both
> giving concerts and master classes. In concerts he's always played
> with a footstool, but in the master classes, he's usually used a
> support with suction cups. Why the inconsistency? I don't know.

Of course, can go the Paul Galbraith way and play the guitar in 'cello
position--that looks like it might be easier on the back. But it's got
to be a big adjustment in technique.

Re: guitar support

<tp8phhto46i96p9g7j7c9efvbgl7iea7i8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1163&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1163

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 07:54:23 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 14:54 UTC

On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 21:50:15 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
<dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 9/9/2022 12:56 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:41:17 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
>> <dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> It's funny (not ha ha funny)--I recently joined the NYC Classical Guitar
>>> Orchestra--and over half were using supports of some kind in lieu of
>>> footstools.
>>

>> Interestingly I know one guitarist (a very good one, in my opinion)
>> who I've seen perform using *both* a cushion and a footstool at the
>> same time. Why? I don't know. I'll ask him the next time I see him do
>> it.
>>

>>> In my case I developed sciatic pain--actually numbness of the leg all
>>> the way down. I've used Dynarette cushions since then. Of course there
>>> are back problems. In the words of a neurologist I consulted, "Don't
>>> bother getting an mri; you're over 60--you're going to have bulges,
>>> you're going to have herniations." So I got an MRI and he was right.
>>> (The pain got worse, and more alarmingly my leg was starting to collapse
>>> under me if I walked down stairs).
>>> So I don't think the footstool CAUSED the sciatic problem, but it did
>>> exacerbate it. Eventually most of the symptoms resolved, with physical
>>> therapy.
>>
>> I've had about a dozen physical therapy sessions and I continue to do
>> the exercises I learned there almost every day.
>>
>> Has it helped? I'm not sure. If it has, only slightly. I still have
>> the symptoms. Mostly when I walk more than 1/4 mile or so, I get pain
>> in my left leg and if I don't stop walking, it spreads to my lower
>> back.
>>
>> One thing that usually alleviates the pain, at least to some extent,
>> is leaning forward against a wall.
>>
>> I've given up any expectations of the problem ever going away (I'm
>> almost 85). As long as I don't walk too far, I can live with it. Since
>> these days, I spend most of my time in the house (my wife has more
>> serious problems and I don't want to leave her alone for long), I
>> don't have pain often.
>

>I'm sure the appropriate PT must depend on just what is causing the
>pain.

Yes. Is it possible that I got the wrong exercises to do? Yes, but my
therapist knew what my problem was, so I don't think so.

> Most of my sciatic problem is gone

Very glad to hear that.

>--except sometimes my lower leg
>still goes numb.
>I have to get out and walk. Lost my wife about a year and a half ago; I

Very sorry to hear that.

>try to spend time outside--better for my head.

Yes. My wife hasn't died, but she's suffering from Alzheimer's
disease, and both our lives are very difficult. I should get outside
more, I know, but I'm reluctant to leave her alone for any longer than
I have to.
>>> The rap on Dynarette is that it is slippery, and doesn't stabilize the
>>> guitar very well. This is true, but I've been able to adjust. Also, my
>>> guitar has a matte finish, so I don't think suction cups would work too
>>> well.
>>

>> Another "interestingly": I've seen David Russell play many times, both
>> giving concerts and master classes. In concerts he's always played
>> with a footstool, but in the master classes, he's usually used a
>> support with suction cups. Why the inconsistency? I don't know.
>
>Of course, can go the Paul Galbraith way and play the guitar in 'cello
>position--that looks like it might be easier on the back. But it's got
>to be a big adjustment in technique.

I've seen one player here do that. He played very poorly.

Re: guitar support

<tfnjl4$1c59$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1168&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1168

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:36:04 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:36 UTC

On 9/10/2022 10:54 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

> Yes. My wife hasn't died, but she's suffering from Alzheimer's
> disease, and both our lives are very difficult. I should get outside
> more, I know, but I'm reluctant to leave her alone for any longer than
> I have to.

Understood--I know that is very rough, and have some friends dealing
with that. I hope you get the outside support you need.

>>> Another "interestingly": I've seen David Russell play many times, both
>>> giving concerts and master classes. In concerts he's always played
>>> with a footstool, but in the master classes, he's usually used a
>>> support with suction cups. Why the inconsistency? I don't know.
>>
>> Of course, can go the Paul Galbraith way and play the guitar in 'cello
>> position--that looks like it might be easier on the back. But it's got
>> to be a big adjustment in technique.
>

> I've seen one player here do that. He played very poorl

Re: guitar support

<tfta4o$1ug$2@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1169&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1169

From: kdun...@panix.com (Ken Dunlap)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:30:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ken Dunlap - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:30 UTC

Bernie Cosell <bernie@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
> I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
> about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
> know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
> [but mostly similar] types of them].
>
> I was looking at this one:
>
> https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>
> is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
> than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!

I've been very happy with my GuitarLift support. It suction-cups to the
back of the guitar, and is very stable. The downside compared to a
Sageworks is if you want to switch between multiple guitars. It's
nowhere near as easy with the GuitarLift.

--
A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that
nature replaces it with.

Re: guitar support

<tftopd$345fl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1170&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1170

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 23:40:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 23:40 UTC

On Sep 14, 2022 at 12:30:32 PM PDT, "Ken Dunlap" <kdunlap@panix.com> wrote:

> Bernie Cosell <bernie@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>> I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
>> about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
>> know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
>> [but mostly similar] types of them].
>>
>> I was looking at this one:
>>
>> https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>>
>> is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
>> than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
>
> I've been very happy with my GuitarLift support. It suction-cups to the
> back of the guitar, and is very stable. The downside compared to a
> Sageworks is if you want to switch between multiple guitars. It's
> nowhere near as easy with the GuitarLift.

GuitarLift was one of my favorite solutions. But it wouldn't connect well to
my primary guitar (a solid body) because my guitar had so many plastic
compoartment covers on the back. Worked great on classical and archtop.

Also the the leg-contact I felt should have about twice the padding material,
and/or be spread out on a wider portion of the thigh. It was uncomfortable
within 30 minutes. I was compelled to move it a little forward or backward for
relief and be just a skosh out of "best position". Anyway it was *damned*
close to perfection!

Re: guitar support

<19592d28-0516-41de-84a0-9b14237f3aa4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1172&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1172

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: tedhask...@gmail.com (Ted Haskell)
 by: Ted Haskell - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:08 UTC

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 5:35:57 AM UTC-7, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
> about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
> know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
> [but mostly similar] types of them].
>
> I was looking at this one:
>
> https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>
> is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
> than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
>
> /Bernie\
> --
> Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
> ber...@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
> --> Too many people, too few sheep <--

Luckily, I didn't have to switch due to back pain, but I wanted to experiment to see if a support would be comfortable for longer periods. I've been using the Trosper support purchased from Strings by Mail. I've been pleased. The suction cups hold on the French finish of my guitar, and I haven't detected damage. The suction cups need to be cleaned periodically, and replaced every couple of years. They don't stick indefinitely, so I've gotten in the habit of pressing them back on every few minutes. Luckily, when the lose suction, my guitar stays put. Unfortunately, I can't use it with my travel guitar (Soloette), so for some extended periods I have to go back to the footstool. It reinforces that I prefer the support.
--Ted

Re: guitar support

<tg1q1f$fai$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1173&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1173

From: kdun...@panix.com (Ken Dunlap)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:26:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ken Dunlap - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:26 UTC

gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> GuitarLift was one of my favorite solutions. But it wouldn't connect well to
> my primary guitar (a solid body) because my guitar had so many plastic
> compoartment covers on the back. Worked great on classical and archtop.

I bet you could drill some custom holes in the plexiglass to move the
suction cups away from the plastic covers.

> Also the the leg-contact I felt should have about twice the padding material,
> and/or be spread out on a wider portion of the thigh. It was uncomfortable
> within 30 minutes. I was compelled to move it a little forward or backward for
> relief and be just a skosh out of "best position". Anyway it was *damned*
> close to perfection!

There's probably a lot more downward pressure with a solid-body that
with a classical guitar. Last time I handled a Les Paul I was shocked
at how heavy it is. Maybe you could replace the small foam pad with a
segment of pool noodle for a wider contact area.

Ken

--
A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that
nature replaces it with.
--Tennessee Williams

Re: guitar support

<b21819ae-5548-4965-9bd8-7d6ad08424f5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1174&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1174

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:39:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 19:39 UTC

On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 5:41:21 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 9/6/2022 11:13 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> > On 6 Sep 2022 15:00:12 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Serious back pain. It doesn't affect most people, but I know quite a few
> >> that it has affected.
> >

> > Ok, not to disagree, but are you sure that was the cause of the back
> > pain? Many people (me for example) get back pain as they get older. In
> > my case, it's caused by spinal stenosis.
> It's funny (not ha ha funny)--I recently joined the NYC Classical Guitar
> Orchestra--and over half were using supports of some kind in lieu of
> footstools.
> In my case I developed sciatic pain--actually numbness of the leg all
> the way down. I've used Dynarette cushions since then. Of course there
> are back problems. In the words of a neurologist I consulted, "Don't
> bother getting an mri; you're over 60--you're going to have bulges,
> you're going to have herniations." So I got an MRI and he was right.
> (The pain got worse, and more alarmingly my leg was starting to collapse
> under me if I walked down stairs).
> So I don't think the footstool CAUSED the sciatic problem, but it did
> exacerbate it. Eventually most of the symptoms resolved, with physical
> therapy.
> The rap on Dynarette is that it is slippery, and doesn't stabilize the
> guitar very well. This is true, but I've been able to adjust. Also, my
> guitar has a matte finish, so I don't think suction cups would work too
> well.

Thanks for the good news about my back and its expected failure in the future!
My wife recently had back surgery for stenosis. She was at work and a patient kicked her hard in the knee. The knee put her off work for a while but she developed problems with the other leg. Evidently, the kick caused her to jerk to one side and caused a disk blowout. She had surgery and is now happy as a clam - more or less.
I was sorry to hear about your wife. There's some people that seem too good for this world, isn't there?

Re: guitar support

<th26nf$4ql$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1176&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1176

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:19:11 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:19 UTC

On 9/26/2022 3:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 5:41:21 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>> On 9/6/2022 11:13 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Ok, not to disagree, but are you sure that was the cause of the back
>>> pain? Many people (me for example) get back pain as they get older. In
>>> my case, it's caused by spinal stenosis.
>> It's funny (not ha ha funny)--I recently joined the NYC Classical Guitar
>> Orchestra--and over half were using supports of some kind in lieu of
>> footstools.
>> In my case I developed sciatic pain--actually numbness of the leg all
>> the way down. I've used Dynarette cushions since then. Of course there
>> are back problems. In the words of a neurologist I consulted, "Don't
>> bother getting an mri; you're over 60--you're going to have bulges,
>> you're going to have herniations." So I got an MRI and he was right.
>> (The pain got worse, and more alarmingly my leg was starting to collapse
>> under me if I walked down stairs).
>> So I don't think the footstool CAUSED the sciatic problem, but it did
>> exacerbate it. Eventually most of the symptoms resolved, with physical
>> therapy.
>> The rap on Dynarette is that it is slippery, and doesn't stabilize the
>> guitar very well. This is true, but I've been able to adjust. Also, my
>> guitar has a matte finish, so I don't think suction cups would work too
>> well.
>
> Thanks for the good news about my back and its expected failure in the future!
> My wife recently had back surgery for stenosis. She was at work and a patient kicked her hard in the knee. The knee put her off work for a while but she developed problems with the other leg. Evidently, the kick caused her to jerk to one side and caused a disk blowout. She had surgery and is now happy as a clam - more or less.
> I was sorry to hear about your wife. There's some people that seem too good for this world, isn't there?

Well, I was happy to have her in my world for as long as I did. Glad
your wife's surgery was successful. I've heard that often they are not.

Re: guitar support

<ba99jh9rvbkaa2pnn4i7j354oaqvcteovv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1177&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1177

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:50:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:50 UTC

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:19:11 -0400, Steven Bornfeld

Mine didn't help my spinal stenosis.

Re: guitar support

<4c1c3c0f-731d-4b32-a839-ae60e985efb7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1178&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1178

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 18:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 01:46 UTC

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 9:19:21 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 9/26/2022 3:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> It's funny (not ha ha funny)--I recently joined the NYC Classical Guitar
> >> Orchestra--and over half were using supports of some kind in lieu of
> >> footstools.
> >> In my case I developed sciatic pain--actually numbness of the leg all
> >> the way down. I've used Dynarette cushions since then. Of course there
> >> are back problems. In the words of a neurologist I consulted, "Don't
> >> bother getting an mri; you're over 60--you're going to have bulges,
> >> you're going to have herniations." So I got an MRI and he was right.
> >> (The pain got worse, and more alarmingly my leg was starting to collapse
> >> under me if I walked down stairs).
> >> So I don't think the footstool CAUSED the sciatic problem, but it did
> >> exacerbate it. Eventually most of the symptoms resolved, with physical
> >> therapy.
> >> The rap on Dynarette is that it is slippery, and doesn't stabilize the
> >> guitar very well. This is true, but I've been able to adjust. Also, my
> >> guitar has a matte finish, so I don't think suction cups would work too
> >> well.
> >
> > Thanks for the good news about my back and its expected failure in the future!
> > My wife recently had back surgery for stenosis. She was at work and a patient kicked her hard in the knee. The knee put her off work for a while but she developed problems with the other leg. Evidently, the kick caused her to jerk to one side and caused a disk blowout. She had surgery and is now happy as a clam - more or less.
> > I was sorry to hear about your wife. There's some people that seem too good for this world, isn't there?
> Well, I was happy to have her in my world for as long as I did. Glad
> your wife's surgery was successful. I've heard that often they are not.

God bless your wife - and my wife too.
The surgeon was so casual about the whole thing, you'd think it was easy as pie. He exuded confidence in his craft. I asked him about whether the surgery would allow my wife to regain feeling in her big toe. He said "I don't know." I guess that should have given me a clue that this was no easy, simple, pie, but instead, more of a humble pie. :)

Re: guitar support

<bakgjh5g2ce6rt2gjvfqb509e4nimsfrov@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1179&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1179

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 07:45:34 -0700
References: <nefehh1fq4n37b2se0361sedu00svqf7ue@4ax.com> <pan$381d0$53d0d250$8bf84c0c$4390cd86@gmail.com> <29mehhp5qdh9r192mgs840a4snbh1n57vb@4ax.com> <pan$e8966$c49f0984$19b291b2$32dc04a2@gmail.com> <aooehhh6pqg8m5jbtm8f8t7140n68rppdj@4ax.com> <tffmqu$9vb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b21819ae-5548-4965-9bd8-7d6ad08424f5n@googlegroups.com> <th26nf$4ql$1@gioia.aioe.org> <4c1c3c0f-731d-4b32-a839-ae60e985efb7n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 14:45 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 18:46:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi100@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 9:19:21 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

>> > Thanks for the good news about my back and its expected failure in the future!
>> > My wife recently had back surgery for stenosis. She was at work and a patient kicked her hard in the knee. The knee put her off work for a while but she developed problems with the other leg. Evidently, the kick caused her to jerk to one side and caused a disk blowout. She had surgery and is now happy as a clam - more or less.
>> > I was sorry to hear about your wife. There's some people that seem too good for this world, isn't there?
>> Well, I was happy to have her in my world for as long as I did. Glad
>> your wife's surgery was successful. I've heard that often they are not.
>
>God bless your wife - and my wife too.
>The surgeon was so casual about the whole thing, you'd think it was easy as pie. He exuded confidence in his craft. I asked him about whether the surgery would allow my wife to regain feeling in her big toe. He said "I don't know." I guess that should have given me a clue that this was no easy, simple, pie, but instead, more of a humble pie. :)

Many kinds of surgery are done with the *hope*, not certainty, that
they will fix a problem. My wife has been suffering from several
issues, most notably cognition and memory problem. With the thought
that the problems might be caused by Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus,
she had surgery a couple of months ago to insert a shunt into her
brain to drain the ventricles.

Alas, it didn't help. She probably has Alzheimer's disease, but there
us no way to be sure except by doing an autopsy.

Re: guitar support

<thcfbu$t2g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1180&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1180

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 12:47:58 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:47 UTC

On 9/30/2022 9:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 9:19:21 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

>>> Thanks for the good news about my back and its expected failure in the future!
>>> My wife recently had back surgery for stenosis. She was at work and a patient kicked her hard in the knee. The knee put her off work for a while but she developed problems with the other leg. Evidently, the kick caused her to jerk to one side and caused a disk blowout. She had surgery and is now happy as a clam - more or less.
>>> I was sorry to hear about your wife. There's some people that seem too good for this world, isn't there?
>> Well, I was happy to have her in my world for as long as I did. Glad
>> your wife's surgery was successful. I've heard that often they are not.
>
> God bless your wife - and my wife too.
> The surgeon was so casual about the whole thing, you'd think it was easy as pie. He exuded confidence in his craft. I asked him about whether the surgery would allow my wife to regain feeling in her big toe. He said "I don't know." I guess that should have given me a clue that this was no easy, simple, pie, but instead, more of a humble pie. :)

My limited experience is that nerves do what they do, and it's hard to
predict. My surgeon said after my prostatectomy that he'd been able to
spare the nerve on one side, and part of the nerve on the other side.
Would that preserve my potency? No promises were made. Maybe that's
why my member lists a little to the left.

Re: guitar support

<308872b8-4c7e-431f-b3aa-d85b1e09f35fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1183&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1183

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 08:00 UTC

On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 4:45:39 AM UTC-10, Ken Blake wrote:
> Many kinds of surgery are done with the *hope*, not certainty, that
> they will fix a problem. My wife has been suffering from several
> issues, most notably cognition and memory problem. With the thought
> that the problems might be caused by Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus,
> she had surgery a couple of months ago to insert a shunt into her
> brain to drain the ventricles.
>
> Alas, it didn't help. She probably has Alzheimer's disease, but there
> us no way to be sure except by doing an autopsy.

My wife has been having trouble using words for the last couple of years. I've noticed a somewhat aggressive manner when she drives that wasn't there before. Hopefully, I'm just paranoid. OTOH, the future is uncertain and no one knows how much time we have left. Gather ye memories while ye may... is what I say. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Re: guitar support

<6dcf7521-4412-414e-bbdd-d59fd5d3a3b2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1184&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1184

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 08:19 UTC

On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 6:48:07 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> My limited experience is that nerves do what they do, and it's hard to
> predict. My surgeon said after my prostatectomy that he'd been able to
> spare the nerve on one side, and part of the nerve on the other side.
> Would that preserve my potency? No promises were made. Maybe that's
> why my member lists a little to the left.

Well, that sounds pretty hairy. I don't usually talk about such things but your frankness has emboldened me. You're a doctor as well and heck, nobody reads rmcg anyway. I did have a problem with my member a couple of years ago. I noticed that it was pointing towards the left. Boy that was weird. I have no sexplanation for why that would be but it was alarming. These days my penis has straightened out its act and is completely normal. Well, except for it being on the small side - we don't talk about that. My guess is that my penis was trying to tell me that it didn't like my political bent and was steering me in the right direction. As it goes, if it starts pointing to the right - I'm voting for Trump. Sorry, but I really don't feel I have any choice in the matter.

Re: guitar support

<mnc8kh9ib9odalsn78vqgstdktog1n0gcn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1185&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1185

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 07:58:08 -0700
References: <pan$381d0$53d0d250$8bf84c0c$4390cd86@gmail.com> <29mehhp5qdh9r192mgs840a4snbh1n57vb@4ax.com> <pan$e8966$c49f0984$19b291b2$32dc04a2@gmail.com> <aooehhh6pqg8m5jbtm8f8t7140n68rppdj@4ax.com> <tffmqu$9vb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b21819ae-5548-4965-9bd8-7d6ad08424f5n@googlegroups.com> <th26nf$4ql$1@gioia.aioe.org> <4c1c3c0f-731d-4b32-a839-ae60e985efb7n@googlegroups.com> <bakgjh5g2ce6rt2gjvfqb509e4nimsfrov@4ax.com> <308872b8-4c7e-431f-b3aa-d85b1e09f35fn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:58 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 01:00:44 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi100@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 4:45:39 AM UTC-10, Ken Blake wrote:
>> Many kinds of surgery are done with the *hope*, not certainty, that
>> they will fix a problem. My wife has been suffering from several
>> issues, most notably cognition and memory problem. With the thought
>> that the problems might be caused by Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus,
>> she had surgery a couple of months ago to insert a shunt into her
>> brain to drain the ventricles.
>>
>> Alas, it didn't help. She probably has Alzheimer's disease, but there
>> us no way to be sure except by doing an autopsy.
>
>My wife has been having trouble using words for the last couple of years. I've noticed a somewhat aggressive manner when she drives that wasn't there before. Hopefully, I'm just paranoid. OTOH, the future is uncertain and no one knows how much time we have left. Gather ye memories while ye may... is what I say. Best wishes to you and your wife.

Thanks very much.

Re: guitar support

<ti4hug$104h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1186&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1186

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:59:12 -0400
<aooehhh6pqg8m5jbtm8f8t7140n68rppdj@4ax.com> <tffmqu$9vb$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<b21819ae-5548-4965-9bd8-7d6ad08424f5n@googlegroups.com>
<th26nf$4ql$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<4c1c3c0f-731d-4b32-a839-ae60e985efb7n@googlegroups.com>
<thcfbu$t2g$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<6dcf7521-4412-414e-bbdd-d59fd5d3a3b2n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 19:59 UTC

On 10/10/2022 4:19 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 6:48:07 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>>>
>> My limited experience is that nerves do what they do, and it's hard to
>> predict. My surgeon said after my prostatectomy that he'd been able to
>> spare the nerve on one side, and part of the nerve on the other side.
>> Would that preserve my potency? No promises were made. Maybe that's
>> why my member lists a little to the left.
>
> Well, that sounds pretty hairy. I don't usually talk about such things but your frankness has emboldened me. You're a doctor as well and heck, nobody reads rmcg anyway. I did have a problem with my member a couple of years ago. I noticed that it was pointing towards the left. Boy that was weird. I have no sexplanation for why that would be but it was alarming. These days my penis has straightened out its act and is completely normal. Well, except for it being on the small side - we don't talk about that. My guess is that my penis was trying to tell me that it didn't like my political bent and was steering me in the right direction. As it goes, if it starts pointing to the right - I'm voting for Trump. Sorry, but I really don't feel I have any choice in the matter.

Well, now that they're advertising drugs for Peyronie's disease, I've
started avoiding carrots, esp. if they curve to the right.

Re: guitar support

<98197ad1-483a-4a51-b7d8-a44c5c12fb9en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1187&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1187

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:34 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 9:59:17 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 10/10/2022 4:19 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 6:48:07 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> >>>
> >> My limited experience is that nerves do what they do, and it's hard to
> >> predict. My surgeon said after my prostatectomy that he'd been able to
> >> spare the nerve on one side, and part of the nerve on the other side.
> >> Would that preserve my potency? No promises were made. Maybe that's
> >> why my member lists a little to the left.
> >
> > Well, that sounds pretty hairy. I don't usually talk about such things but your frankness has emboldened me. You're a doctor as well and heck, nobody reads rmcg anyway. I did have a problem with my member a couple of years ago. I noticed that it was pointing towards the left. Boy that was weird. I have no sexplanation for why that would be but it was alarming. These days my penis has straightened out its act and is completely normal. Well, except for it being on the small side - we don't talk about that. My guess is that my penis was trying to tell me that it didn't like my political bent and was steering me in the right direction. As it goes, if it starts pointing to the right - I'm voting for Trump. Sorry, but I really don't feel I have any choice in the matter.
> Well, now that they're advertising drugs for Peyronie's disease, I've
> started avoiding carrots, esp. if they curve to the right.

That's interesting! I'll have to check my carrots to see which way they're curved. OTOH, I'll just avoid carrots altogether or, at least, eat only straight carrots. I knew I could depend on you for the latest medical advice. Mahalo!

Re: guitar support

<tjrbc4$10vl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1189&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1189

From: tob...@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 07:44:19 -0700
 by: Tobiah - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 14:44 UTC

On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
> about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
> know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
> [but mostly similar] types of them].
>
> I was looking at this one:
>
> https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>
> is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
> than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
>
> /Bernie\

I have one of the ones (maybe it's a sageworks, I forget) that attaches
to the guitar with magnets. Never looking back. One thing that's great
is if you need to put your guitar in a case, you just pull off the support,
and when you're ready to play it just sticks back on with no fuss.

Installation was easier than I thought, and the adhesive strips on the inside
can be removed cleanly if you ever need to.

I'd also never consider going back to a foot stool.

Tobiah

Re: guitar support

<i1d2mhh6tfk1fd7hanhe5hl9kpif70qp72@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1190&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1190

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 08:25:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:25 UTC

On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
> about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
> know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
> [but mostly similar] types of them].
>
> I was looking at this one:
>
> https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
>
> is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
> than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!

Did you buy that one? What do you think of it?

Or if you bought a different one, what did you choose and how do you
like it?

I've been think of buying a support, but perhaps for a different
reason. I use a footstool and have a tendency to let the bottom edge
of the guitar slip forward, so that the guitar top is at an angle
rather than being vertical.

The result of the guitar's being at an angle like that is that my
thumb slides round the neck and protrudes, and the result of that is
that my fingers tend to mute the treble strings.

So let me ask you, and anyone else here, whether my thought of using a
support rather than a food rest is a good idea and would help keep the
guitar more upright in the proper position.

Re: guitar support

<msq4mhd8c9kj2lp92hs6el3ig759mmcc5v@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1191&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1191

From: ber...@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 09:13:52 -0400
 by: Bernie Cosell - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 13:13 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

} On 9/6/22 05:35, Bernie Cosell wrote:
} > I need to replace my footstool with a guitar support. I know nothing
} > about them [in fact, until I looked them up on stringsbymail I didn't even
} > know they were called "guitar supports" and there are a zillion different
} > [but mostly similar] types of them].
} >
} > I was looking at this one:
} >
} > https://www.stringsbymail.com/de-oro-classica-guitar-support-martini-frame-brass-brown-24040.html
} >
} > is it a reasonable choice? They seem to range in price from ~$25 to more
} > than $100. and there are various different layouts. Any advice? Thanks!!
}
} Did you buy that one? What do you think of it?

Yes I did, and I love it. I'll never go back to using a !%$#@$% foot
stool.

} Or if you bought a different one, what did you choose and how do you
} like it?

I also bought an ergoplay and I didn't like it [it was the less-expensive
one] - i couldn't get to hold my guitar at the proper angle and so my left
hand was all messed up. My guitar instructor likes the more expensive one
and I might try it, but I'm not all that impelled to try it, since I like
the martini one.

} So let me ask you, and anyone else here, whether my thought of using a
} support rather than a food rest is a good idea and would help keep the
} guitar more upright in the proper position.

I think they do. Since they are *holding* the guitar, rather than its just
being in a particular place at a particular angle, I'd expect that they'd
help hold your guitar upright.

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers