If it wasn't for Newton, we wouldn't have to eat bruised apples.

arts / rec.music.classical.guitar / Re: strengthening nails

SubjectAuthor
* strengthening nailsBernie Cosell
+- Re: strengthening nailsTed Haskell
+* Re: strengthening nailsSteven Bornfeld
|+- Re: strengthening nailsJohn
|`* Re: strengthening nailsKen Blake
| +* Re: strengthening nailsgtr
| |`* Re: strengthening nailsKen Blake
| | +- Re: strengthening nailsSteven Bornfeld
| | `* Re: strengthening nailsgtr
| |  `* Re: strengthening nailsKen Blake
| |   `* Re: strengthening nailsgtr
| |    `- Re: strengthening nailsKen Blake
| `* Re: strengthening nailsSteven Bornfeld
|  `* Re: strengthening nailsKen Blake
|   `- Re: strengthening nailsSteven Bornfeld
+* Re: strengthening nailsgtr
|`- Re: strengthening nailsBernie Cosell
`- Re: strengthening nailsPaul Carmichael

1
Re: strengthening nails

<tfekco$vjbi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1153&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1153

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Subject: Re: strengthening nails
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 05:53:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 05:53 UTC

On Sep 6, 2022 at 7:38:49 AM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:50:10 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/2022 8:37 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>>> Any advice on how to strengthen nails? I've tried "Hard as Nails" and it
>>> mostly just flaked off and didn't much help [it especially flaked off the
>>> ends of the nails, which is where my nails would split and break ]. I
>>> tried some vitamin that was supposed to strengthen nails , and after
>>> something like a year of using.. nothing. Is there something else to
>>> try/do?
>>>
>>> /Bernie\
>>

>> I've given up on trying to strengthen my nails--nothing I've tried
>> works. But my repair for split nails works pretty well, recommended by
>> my teacher.
>> Best to repair before the broken segment comes off completely. I use
>> self-adhesive "Swiss Silk":
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MFWH70
>>
>> Cut to size, and then painted over with nail glue (cyanoacrylate). My
>> nails suck, so I get quite a bit of practice. I've had some of the
>> repairs last until the cracked segment grows out, but occasionally I
>> have to re-repair.
>

> On your recommendation, I just bought and tried Swiss Silk. I put one
> on my breaking thumbnail last Thursday. It was fine until yesterday,
> when the nail broke almost completely off--down .to the quick.
>
> Maybe it's better for some kinds of breaks or for some people. but it
> wasn't great for me. Perhaps I'll try it again the next time I have a
> problem,
>
> I think I'll play with no thumbnail for the next few months, until it
> grows back.

Months?! You mean weeks, right. Despite my pessimism about such things--and
the pouting--I usually get enough nail to navigate inside two weeks or less.
Thumbnail--okay a few more.

Re: strengthening nails

<pvmmhh1pdil3rbvii78mggbc0089rdj0l8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1154&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1154

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 08:34:08 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:34 UTC

On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 05:53:28 -0000 (UTC), gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>On Sep 6, 2022 at 7:38:49 AM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:50:10 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
>> <dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> I've given up on trying to strengthen my nails--nothing I've tried
>>> works. But my repair for split nails works pretty well, recommended by
>>> my teacher.
>>> Best to repair before the broken segment comes off completely. I use
>>> self-adhesive "Swiss Silk":
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MFWH70
>>>
>>> Cut to size, and then painted over with nail glue (cyanoacrylate). My
>>> nails suck, so I get quite a bit of practice. I've had some of the
>>> repairs last until the cracked segment grows out, but occasionally I
>>> have to re-repair.
>>

>> On your recommendation, I just bought and tried Swiss Silk. I put one
>> on my breaking thumbnail last Thursday. It was fine until yesterday,
>> when the nail broke almost completely off--down .to the quick.
>>
>> Maybe it's better for some kinds of breaks or for some people. but it
>> wasn't great for me. Perhaps I'll try it again the next time I have a
>> problem,
>>
>> I think I'll play with no thumbnail for the next few months, until it
>> grows back.
>
>Months?! You mean weeks, right. Despite my pessimism about such things--and
>the pouting--I usually get enough nail to navigate inside two weeks or less.
>Thumbnail--okay a few more.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not by much.I think it will take
two or three weeks for the nail just to grow to the end of my thumb,
then a few more weeks for it be a little longer than the thumb so it
can touch the strings.

Do nails grow more slowly as you get older (I'm almost 85)? I don't
know.

Re: strengthening nails

<tffmen$323$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1155&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1155

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:34:46 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:34 UTC

On 9/6/2022 10:38 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:50:10 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/2022 8:37 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>>> Any advice on how to strengthen nails? I've tried "Hard as Nails" and it
>>> mostly just flaked off and didn't much help [it especially flaked off the
>>> ends of the nails, which is where my nails would split and break ]. I
>>> tried some vitamin that was supposed to strengthen nails , and after
>>> something like a year of using.. nothing. Is there something else to
>>> try/do?
>>>
>>> /Bernie\
>>

>> I've given up on trying to strengthen my nails--nothing I've tried
>> works. But my repair for split nails works pretty well, recommended by
>> my teacher.
>> Best to repair before the broken segment comes off completely. I use
>> self-adhesive "Swiss Silk":
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MFWH70
>>
>> Cut to size, and then painted over with nail glue (cyanoacrylate). My
>> nails suck, so I get quite a bit of practice. I've had some of the
>> repairs last until the cracked segment grows out, but occasionally I
>> have to re-repair.
>

> On your recommendation, I just bought and tried Swiss Silk. I put one
> on my breaking thumbnail last Thursday. It was fine until yesterday,
> when the nail broke almost completely off--down .to the quick.
>
> Maybe it's better for some kinds of breaks or for some people. but it
> wasn't great for me. Perhaps I'll try it again the next time I have a
> problem,
>
> I think I'll play with no thumbnail for the next few months, until it
> grows back.

Sorry to hear. It's much easier to repair when the split isn't complete
(that is, the broken segment is still attached at one end). I have fake
nails as well (as recommended by my teacher) but I have not used them,
and will try to avoid it.
Some of my repairs have held up better than others. And when I've seen
one repair starting to fail, I put another layer of silk and glue on to
secure it. That's worked too, though eventually it makes the nail look
a bit lumpy. With one break--a crack transversely across the thumbnail
from one side to another--I was able to maintain the repair for a couple
of months (needed to patch 2 or 3 times) until the fractured segment
grew completely out. With another repair I was not so lucky--caught my
m fingertip in something (can't remember just what), and there was some
bleeding under the nail. That led to a distinct dent in the nail across
from one side to the other. I tried to patch it, but before it could
grow out the whole thing failed. Just missed tearing into the flesh.
But now that's grown out too, and the nail is starting to look normal again.

Re: strengthening nails

<tffn4t$cfc$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1158&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1158

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:46:36 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:46 UTC

On 9/9/2022 11:34 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 05:53:28 -0000 (UTC), gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 6, 2022 at 7:38:49 AM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> On your recommendation, I just bought and tried Swiss Silk. I put one
>>> on my breaking thumbnail last Thursday. It was fine until yesterday,
>>> when the nail broke almost completely off--down .to the quick.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's better for some kinds of breaks or for some people. but it
>>> wasn't great for me. Perhaps I'll try it again the next time I have a
>>> problem,
>>>
>>> I think I'll play with no thumbnail for the next few months, until it
>>> grows back.
>>
>> Months?! You mean weeks, right. Despite my pessimism about such things--and
>> the pouting--I usually get enough nail to navigate inside two weeks or less.
>> Thumbnail--okay a few more.
>

> Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not by much.I think it will take
> two or three weeks for the nail just to grow to the end of my thumb,
> then a few more weeks for it be a little longer than the thumb so it
> can touch the strings.
>
> Do nails grow more slowly as you get older (I'm almost 85)? I don't
> know.

I don't know that they grow more slowly--mine seem about the same. But
the hairs in my nose and ears definitely grow more rapidly!

Re: strengthening nails

<t3smhh1ur4ga3fto1ct7a4lqnn6rie8g9f@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1160&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1160

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 10:05:09 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 17:05 UTC

On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:34:46 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
<dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 9/6/2022 10:38 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:50:10 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
>> <dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> I've given up on trying to strengthen my nails--nothing I've tried
>>> works. But my repair for split nails works pretty well, recommended by
>>> my teacher.
>>> Best to repair before the broken segment comes off completely. I use
>>> self-adhesive "Swiss Silk":
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MFWH70
>>>
>>> Cut to size, and then painted over with nail glue (cyanoacrylate). My
>>> nails suck, so I get quite a bit of practice. I've had some of the
>>> repairs last until the cracked segment grows out, but occasionally I
>>> have to re-repair.
>>

>> On your recommendation, I just bought and tried Swiss Silk. I put one
>> on my breaking thumbnail last Thursday. It was fine until yesterday,
>> when the nail broke almost completely off--down .to the quick.
>>
>> Maybe it's better for some kinds of breaks or for some people. but it
>> wasn't great for me. Perhaps I'll try it again the next time I have a
>> problem,
>>
>> I think I'll play with no thumbnail for the next few months, until it
>> grows back.
>>

>Sorry to hear. It's much easier to repair when the split isn't complete
>(that is, the broken segment is still attached at one end).

I had two horizontal splits, one at each side. As they lengthened, the
combination was almost completely across the nail. Eventually they
met, even with the silk on.

>I have fake
>nails as well (as recommended by my teacher) but I have not used them,
>and will try to avoid it.

I tried one on my m finger with a broken-off nail once, also
recommended by my teacher at the time (he actually put it on for me),
but it lasted only about three days, and fell off when I was wiping my
butt on the toilet.

>Some of my repairs have held up better than others. And when I've seen
>one repair starting to fail, I put another layer of silk and glue on to
>secure it. That's worked too,

I thought of doing that, and in retrospect, I should have.

> though eventually it makes the nail look
>a bit lumpy.

I wouldn't care.

>With one break--a crack transversely across the thumbnail
>from one side to another--I was able to maintain the repair for a couple
>of months (needed to patch 2 or 3 times) until the fractured segment
>grew completely out. With another repair I was not so lucky--caught my
>m fingertip in something (can't remember just what), and there was some
>bleeding under the nail. That led to a distinct dent in the nail across
>from one side to the other. I tried to patch it, but before it could
>grow out the whole thing failed. Just missed tearing into the flesh.
>But now that's grown out too, and the nail is starting to look normal again.

Re: strengthening nails

<tfgqji$ilt$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1162&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1162

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 21:51:46 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 01:51 UTC

On 9/9/2022 1:05 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:34:46 -0400, Steven Bornfeld
> <dentaltwin@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/6/2022 10:38 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> On your recommendation, I just bought and tried Swiss Silk. I put one
>>> on my breaking thumbnail last Thursday. It was fine until yesterday,
>>> when the nail broke almost completely off--down .to the quick.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's better for some kinds of breaks or for some people. but it
>>> wasn't great for me. Perhaps I'll try it again the next time I have a
>>> problem,
>>>
>>> I think I'll play with no thumbnail for the next few months, until it
>>> grows back.
>>>

>> Sorry to hear. It's much easier to repair when the split isn't complete
>> (that is, the broken segment is still attached at one end).
>
> I had two horizontal splits, one at each side. As they lengthened, the
> combination was almost completely across the nail. Eventually they
> met, even with the silk on.
>

>> I have fake
>> nails as well (as recommended by my teacher) but I have not used them,
>> and will try to avoid it.
>
> I tried one on my m finger with a broken-off nail once, also
> recommended by my teacher at the time (he actually put it on for me),
> but it lasted only about three days, and fell off when I was wiping my
> butt on the toilet.

Ouch!

>> Some of my repairs have held up better than others. And when I've seen
>> one repair starting to fail, I put another layer of silk and glue on to
>> secure it. That's worked too,
>
> I thought of doing that, and in retrospect, I should have.
>

>> though eventually it makes the nail look
>> a bit lumpy.
>

> I wouldn't care.
>

>> With one break--a crack transversely across the thumbnail
>>from one side to another--I was able to maintain the repair for a couple
>> of months (needed to patch 2 or 3 times) until the fractured segment
>> grew completely out. With another repair I was not so lucky--caught my
>> m fingertip in something (can't remember just what), and there was some
>> bleeding under the nail. That led to a distinct dent in the nail across
>>from one side to the other. I tried to patch it, but before it could
>> grow out the whole thing failed. Just missed tearing into the flesh.
>> But now that's grown out too, and the nail is starting to look normal again.

Re: strengthening nails

<tfillc$1j5vq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1164&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1164

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 18:39:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 18:39 UTC

On Sep 9, 2022 at 8:34:08 AM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 05:53:28 -0000 (UTC), gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 6, 2022 at 7:38:49 AM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> On your recommendation, I just bought and tried Swiss Silk. I put one
>>> on my breaking thumbnail last Thursday. It was fine until yesterday,
>>> when the nail broke almost completely off--down .to the quick.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's better for some kinds of breaks or for some people. but it
>>> wasn't great for me. Perhaps I'll try it again the next time I have a
>>> problem,
>>>
>>> I think I'll play with no thumbnail for the next few months, until it
>>> grows back.
>>
>> Months?! You mean weeks, right. Despite my pessimism about such things--and
>> the pouting--I usually get enough nail to navigate inside two weeks or less.
>> Thumbnail--okay a few more.
>

> Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not by much.I think it will take
> two or three weeks for the nail just to grow to the end of my thumb,
> then a few more weeks for it be a little longer than the thumb so it
> can touch the strings.
>
> Do nails grow more slowly as you get older (I'm almost 85)? I don't
> know.

I'm 71 and I've not seen a change in speed. To increase the speed you should
push back the cuticle at the base of the nail, disconnecting where the skin
attaches to the top of the nail. That will let it grow (marginally) faster, so
I'm told by a couple of manicurists.

Re: strengthening nails

<27sphh5igagfdg1p2tpfi93544upu8qoo2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1165&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1165

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 13:19:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 20:19 UTC

On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 18:39:41 -0000 (UTC), gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>On Sep 9, 2022 at 8:34:08 AM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> Months?! You mean weeks, right. Despite my pessimism about such things--and
>>> the pouting--I usually get enough nail to navigate inside two weeks or less.
>>> Thumbnail--okay a few more.
>>

>> Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not by much.I think it will take
>> two or three weeks for the nail just to grow to the end of my thumb,
>> then a few more weeks for it be a little longer than the thumb so it
>> can touch the strings.
>>
>> Do nails grow more slowly as you get older (I'm almost 85)? I don't
>> know.
>
>I'm 71 and I've not seen a change in speed. To increase the speed you should
>push back the cuticle at the base of the nail, disconnecting where the skin
>attaches to the top of the nail. That will let it grow (marginally) faster, so
>I'm told by a couple of manicurists.

OK, thanks. I've just done that. I'm not optimistic that it will help,
but it can't hurt.

Re: strengthening nails

<tfjsqo$1r4r5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1166&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1166

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 05:48:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 05:48 UTC

On Sep 10, 2022 at 1:19:32 PM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 18:39:41 -0000 (UTC), gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>>> Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not by much.I think it will take
>>> two or three weeks for the nail just to grow to the end of my thumb,
>>> then a few more weeks for it be a little longer than the thumb so it
>>> can touch the strings.
>>>
>>> Do nails grow more slowly as you get older (I'm almost 85)? I don't
>>> know.
>>
>> I'm 71 and I've not seen a change in speed. To increase the speed you should
>> push back the cuticle at the base of the nail, disconnecting where the skin
>> attaches to the top of the nail. That will let it grow (marginally) faster, so
>> I'm told by a couple of manicurists.
>

> OK, thanks. I've just done that. I'm not optimistic that it will help,
> but it can't hurt.

So to get a reference point, report back when it clears the thumb, and again
when it's marginably playable. Without documentation we can't make
evaluations!

Re: strengthening nails

<jusrhhtfijfsephq3sond3inft4d7hadt8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1167&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1167

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 07:47:47 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:47 UTC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 05:48:08 -0000 (UTC), gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>On Sep 10, 2022 at 1:19:32 PM PDT, "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> I'm 71 and I've not seen a change in speed. To increase the speed you should
>>> push back the cuticle at the base of the nail, disconnecting where the skin
>>> attaches to the top of the nail. That will let it grow (marginally) faster, so
>>> I'm told by a couple of manicurists.
>>

>> OK, thanks. I've just done that. I'm not optimistic that it will help,
>> but it can't hurt.
>
>So to get a reference point, report back when it clears the thumb,

it's got about 5/16" to go, so it won't be soon.

> and again when it's marginably playable. Without documentation we can't make
>evaluations!

OK. No guarantees, but I'll try to remember to do that.

By the way, I'm playing with the flesh on my thumb now, and I'm
pleased by how well it's working. It's not as good as it was, but it's
better, both in comfort and sound, than I thought it would be.

Re: strengthening nails

<f48ba441-03a7-4ae3-aaa1-dc532a32336bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1171&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1171

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: tedhask...@gmail.com (Ted Haskell)
 by: Ted Haskell - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:01 UTC

On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 5:37:34 AM UTC-7, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> Any advice on how to strengthen nails? I've tried "Hard as Nails" and it
> mostly just flaked off and didn't much help [it especially flaked off the
> ends of the nails, which is where my nails would split and break ]. I
> tried some vitamin that was supposed to strengthen nails , and after
> something like a year of using.. nothing. Is there something else to
> try/do?
>
> /Bernie\
> --
> Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
> ber...@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
> --> Too many people, too few sheep <--

I've had good luck with "n-Butyl Cyanoacrylate Fingernail Glue and Strengthener" from Strings by Mail. It's liquid, not gel, so it can go on in a thin coat and it doesn't chunk off like gels do for me. I don't add silk unless the nail is badly damaged--it's hard to get as nice a tone with the silk. I've not had additional weakening or discoloration from it. That may be because I only use it on the last 1/3 of the nail. Luckily, I don't need a long nail to get the sound I want, but keeping your nails as short as possible helps. People's nails are wildly variable, so this may or may not work for you.

strengthening nails

<nffhghdjbno6uo5vu8d5fm3au1d8jpvdnk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1617&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1617

From: ber...@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Subject: strengthening nails
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:37:31 -0400
 by: Bernie Cosell - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 12:37 UTC

bernie@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--

Re: strengthening nails

<tec0p2$1ot4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1618&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1618

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:50:10 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 02:50 UTC

On 8/26/2022 8:37 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> Any advice on how to strengthen nails? I've tried "Hard as Nails" and it
> mostly just flaked off and didn't much help [it especially flaked off the
> ends of the nails, which is where my nails would split and break ]. I
> tried some vitamin that was supposed to strengthen nails , and after
> something like a year of using.. nothing. Is there something else to
> try/do?
>
> /Bernie\

I've given up on trying to strengthen my nails--nothing I've tried
works. But my repair for split nails works pretty well, recommended by
my teacher.
Best to repair before the broken segment comes off completely. I use
self-adhesive "Swiss Silk":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MFWH70

Cut to size, and then painted over with nail glue (cyanoacrylate). My
nails suck, so I get quite a bit of practice. I've had some of the
repairs last until the cracked segment grows out, but occasionally I
have to re-repair.
I have avoided using fake nails--I have them in case the urge ever grabs me.

Re: strengthening nails

<5de484e1-96a9-44a4-b587-5e7cbff4f02cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1619&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1619

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 09:19:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnreth...@gmail.com (John)
 by: John - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:19 UTC

I have a nail that splits badly. I use Nailtiques, recommended by Strings by Mail, and Healthy Hoof, applying them once or twice a week. I also drink raw Knox gelatin in fruit juice every day. Some combination of all that works.

Re: strengthening nails

<tehl3a$vf6a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1620&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1620

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:07:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:07 UTC

On Aug 26, 2022 at 5:37:31 AM PDT, "Bernie Cosell" <bernie@fantasyfarm.com>
wrote:

> Any advice on how to strengthen nails? I've tried "Hard as Nails" and it
> mostly just flaked off and didn't much help [it especially flaked off the
> ends of the nails, which is where my nails would split and break ]. I
> tried some vitamin that was supposed to strengthen nails , and after
> something like a year of using.. nothing. Is there something else to
> try/do?
>
> /Bernie\

I've tried a number of things. I'll try more--I now have some "Swiss Silk" in
my Amazon cart from Steven Bornfeld's recommendation.

My nails have become stronger in my later years and perhaps less likely to
damage now that I immediately file any tiny fissure out before beginning an
afternoon of playing or practice. I always check them before I start playing.

But I know this: Anything that you paint over your nail cuts it off from
oxygen. It will begin to yellow and become dehydrated starting at that point.
My use has proved it, and many other players have said the same. If you want
to put something like that on your nails, or you glue fake nails glued over
your real nail, you must be prepared to keep doing it indefinitely. Whenever
you remove that stuff your nails will go to hell until they have grown
completely out and replaced themselves with freshly produced nails.

Other than that--good luck!

Re: strengthening nails

<t2svgh945l6j5cqjnrf5fleld652k50sbd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1621&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1621

From: ber...@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 19:38:55 -0400
 by: Bernie Cosell - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 23:38 UTC

} wrote:

} I've tried a number of things. I'll try more--I now have some "Swiss Silk" in
} my Amazon cart from Steven Bornfeld's recommendation.

I'm awaiting some "Health Hoof", recommended by a usenet friend and by
StringsByMail. We'll see how well it works...

} But I know this: Anything that you paint over your nail cuts it off from
} oxygen. It will begin to yellow and become dehydrated starting at that point.
} My use has proved it, and many other players have said the same. If you want
} to put something like that on your nails, or you glue fake nails glued over
} your real nail, you must be prepared to keep doing it indefinitely. Whenever
} you remove that stuff your nails will go to hell until they have grown
} completely out and replaced themselves with freshly produced nails.

That's what it took me way too long to learn while using "Hard as Nails".
Good riddance.

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
bernie@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--

Re: strengthening nails

<pan$d36bb$aa8b7b12$b42a61f6$1938643@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1623&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1623

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: 6 Sep 2022 13:43:43 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 13:43 UTC

El Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:37:31 -0400, Bernie Cosell escribió:

> Any advice on how to strengthen nails? I've tried "Hard as Nails" and
> it mostly just flaked off and didn't much help [it especially flaked off
> the ends of the nails, which is where my nails would split and break ].
> I tried some vitamin that was supposed to strengthen nails , and after
> something like a year of using.. nothing. Is there something else to
> try/do?

There is another option. However, I wish I'd learnt with nails because
it's hard to play clean without.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: strengthening nails

<temehhpr45j3rdm40hst7ad51em1b24o82@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1626&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1626

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 07:38:49 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:38 UTC