Subject: [ARTICLE] "Star Trek: Lower Decks" Is a Lot Better Than You'd Expect
From: Your Name
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv, rec.arts.animation, rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 02:48 UTC
From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv, rec.arts.animation, rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:48:14 +1300

From Wired.com ...

    'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Is a Lot Better Than You'd Expect
    When it comes to ideas for a TV show, a humorous Star Trek cartoon
    doesn't necessarily seem like a winner. But screenwriter Rafael
    Jordan says that the animated series Star Trek: Lower Decks
    compares favorably to live action shows such as Picard and
    Discovery.

    "I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but I was really won
    over by the third or the fourth episode," Jordan says in
    Episode 451 of the Geek's Guide to the Galaxy podcast. "I know it
    might be sacrilege to say, but it might be my favorite Star Trek
    thing right now. I think I would take this show over any future
    show. I need more of Lower Decks."

    Geek's Guide to the Galaxy host David Barr Kirtley was also
    skeptical of Lower Decks, but got more interested when he learned
    that it was created by former Rick and Morty showrunner Mike
    McMahan. "I saw that the creator of it is the guy who was sort of
    the big 'sci-fi guy' on Rick and Morty, the one who was most
    deeply familiar with the genre," Kirtley says. "If I had known
    that I would have checked the show out a lot sooner."

    Fantasy author Christopher M. Cevasco likes that Lower Decks pokes
    fun at Star Trek while still maintaining a sense of reality. "It
    feels like a Star Trek show, even though it's animated, even though
    it's got way more humor than any of the other shows," he says. "But
    it still remains true to the canon, and to the rules that have been
    established in the Star Trek world."

    The sheer volume of in-jokes and obscure references in Lower Decks
    will challenge even the most hardcore Trekkie. Writer Sara Lynn
    Michener says it's clear that the show's writers have deeply
    immersed themselves in Star Trek fandom.

    "A lot of the jokes come directly from Star Trek Shitposting, and
    the members of the group were very proud of that," she says. "We
    spent about two weeks trying to figure out, 'OK, who in the group
    are the secret spies who actually work for this writing staff?'
    Because we know that they are in this group."

    Listen to the complete interview with Rafael Jordan, Sara Lynn
    Michener, and Christopher M. Cevasco in Episode 451 of Geek's Guide
    to the Galaxy.

    MP3:
    https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/geeksguide451final.mp3    And check out some highlights from the discussion below.

    Rafael Jordan on casual viewers:
    "I watched [Lower Decks] with my girlfriend, who is not a Trekkie.
    She just kind of casually watches the modern movies and whatever
    I force her to watch. But she really enjoyed it. She really liked it
    a lot, but admittedly I was pausing it every two minutes to say, 'Oh,
    let me explain this. To really appreciate what's going on here you
    have to know what they're calling back to.' And I think eventually
    she got irritated with me. She's like, 'Just play it already. I'm
    enjoying it fine.' ... They did such a great job of balancing
    obvious, overt callbacks to previous episodes with hidden little
    Easter eggs that were just a delight for the old school fans."

    Christopher M. Cevasco on characterization:
    "At first the relationship between Mariner and Boimler was so frantic
    and adversarial and in-your-face-almost like Three Stooges routines,
    with them poking each other in the eye all the time-that it was maybe
    a little grating. But I think they pulled back from that level of
    antics and it became a more mature relationship. But yeah, I think
    they're great characters. I'm really happy that they chose to make
    the Orion character be a very earnest scientist, rather than falling
    back on the typical Orion characters-like they didn't make her some
    sort of dancing bar girl. And Rutherford is just amazing too. ... So
    yeah, I think it's a great bunch. I like all four of those main
    characters."

    David Barr Kirtley on humor:
    "Star Trek 4 is one of my favorite Star Trek movies, but thinking
    back on it now it's really a comedy. It's as much a comedy as
    anything else, and more so than any of the other Star Trek movies.
    But I feel like Star Trek 4 is a comedy that works, and maybe part of
    the reason I was so apprehensive about this show is I feel like
    there's been a lot of Star Trek humor that has not worked,
    particularly the later Next Generation movies. There's a line - I
    actually wrote it down it's so bad-in First Contact, where they're
    talking to Zefram Cochrane, and he says something like, 'So you're
    all astronauts ... on some kind of star trek?' It's one of the worst
    jokes in any movie I've ever seen."

    Sara Lynn Michener on redshirts:
    "When somebody makes a redshirt joke in Star Trek Shitposting,
    everybody kind of piles on and makes jokes like, 'Welcome, new
    member!' Because it's just been played out to death. [Lower Decks] is
    a very sophisticated show, where they did their research-or are just
    a part of these subcultures anyway, to start with-so they know that
    these things have already been done. People send me memes all the
    time that originated in Star Trek Shitposting three years ago -
    people who are not Trekkies-and they send it to me because they know
    I like Star Trek, and they have no idea that not only did I see that
    meme three years ago, but I've seen all 10 memes that reference it
    ever since. You just have to be like, 'Thanks for sending me that,
    grandma!' and move along."

https://www.wired.com/2021/01/geeks-guide-star-trek-lower-decks/

From: Ant
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv, rec.arts.animation, rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 06:22 UTC
From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.animation,rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 00:22:49 -0600
View all headers
I didn't laugh at with its first episode. Did it get better?

From Wired.com ...

--
So tired, cold, and loco! Also, 2021 isn't any better. :(
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org

From: Kade Green
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv, rec.arts.animation, rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 22:20 UTC
From: kad...@green.us (Kade Green)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.animation,rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 17:20:03 -0500
View all headers
ant@zimage.comANT says...
I didn't laugh at with its first episode. Did it get better?

Yes.  Like The Orville, it mellowed after a few episodes.  Don't view it
as a comedy, but just as a regular Star Trek show, just with the weird
bits cranked up, and loads of references to other Trek episodes piled
on.

From: Ant
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv, rec.arts.animation, rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 02:05 UTC
From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.animation,rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 20:05:40 -0600
View all headers
In rec.arts.startrek.current Kade Green <kade@green.us> wrote:
        ant@zimage.comANT says...
I didn't laugh at with its first episode. Did it get better?

Yes.  Like The Orville, it mellowed after a few episodes.  Don't view it
as a comedy, but just as a regular Star Trek show, just with the weird
bits cranked up, and loads of references to other Trek episodes piled
on.

I loved The Orville! I hope it returns soon. It was totally TNG to me.
So, LD got better. Were they stand alone episodes or do I need to watch
in order?

From: Dave Van Domelen
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv, rec.arts.animation, rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 13:48 UTC
From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.animation,rec.arts.startrek.current
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 13:48:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
View all headers
In article <Y6CdnT0I7KFp_Ir9nZ2dnUU7-LOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
In rec.arts.startrek.current Kade Green <kade@green.us> wrote:
        ant@zimage.comANT says...
I didn't laugh at with its first episode. Did it get better?

Yes.  Like The Orville, it mellowed after a few episodes.  Don't view it
as a comedy, but just as a regular Star Trek show, just with the weird
bits cranked up, and loads of references to other Trek episodes piled
on.

I loved The Orville! I hope it returns soon. It was totally TNG to me.
So, LD got better. Were they stand alone episodes or do I need to watch
in order?

     Mostly standalone, but the last episode is definitely a series finale,
and there's some sensitivity to order in terms of character introduction.
There are some character arcs going on, and the last two or three eps do link
together in terms of Mariner's arc.

     Dave Van Domelen, figures it would probably be best to watch in order
even if the Main Plots are largely standalone.