You will never amount to much. -- Munich Schoolmaster, to Albert Einstein, age 10

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

SubjectAuthor
* MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189eleeper@optonline.net
+* Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Paul Dormer
|`* Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189eleeper@optonline.net
| `- Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Paul Dormer
+* Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Gary McGath
|+- Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Dorothy J Heydt
|+* Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Scott Dorsey
||+* Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Keith F. Lynch
|||`- Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Gary McGath
||`- Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Dorothy J Heydt
|`* Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Tim Merrigan
| `- Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Tim Merrigan
`- Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189Kerr-Mudd, John

1
MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<af3848cc-9cff-4541-a784-aeaa1d7d8925n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1200&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1200

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 06:55:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189
From: evelynch...@gmail.com (eleeper@optonline.net)
 by: eleeper@optonline.ne - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 13:55 UTC

THE MT VOID
Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society
09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

Co-Editor: Mark Leeper, mleeper@optonline.net
Co-Editor: Evelyn Leeper, eleeper@optonline.net
Sending Address: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com
All material is the opinion of the author and is copyrighted by the
author unless otherwise noted.
All comments sent or posted will be assumed authorized for
inclusion unless otherwise noted.

The latest issue is at <http://www.leepers.us/mtvoid/latest.htm>.
An index with links to the issues of the MT VOID since 1986 is at
<http://leepers.us/mtvoid/back_issues.htm>.

Topics:
Bond Songs (Part 4) (THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, MOONRAKER,
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY) (comments by Mark R. Leeper)
THE SAVIOR GENERALS by Victor Davis Hanson (book review
by Gregory Frederick)
THE FALL OF ROME (letters of comment by Fred Lerner,
Paul Dormer, Keith F. Lynch, and Gary McGath)
This Week's Reading (THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES)
(book and television comments by Evelyn C. Leeper)

TOPIC: Bond Songs (Part 4) (THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, MOONRAKER, FOR
YOUR EYES ONLY) (comments by Mark R. Leeper)

I hardly know what to tell you about THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, the next
song in Bond song order. It is apparently from the point of view
of a spy at the end of his career and likely the end of his life.
Once his lover has advertised that she in turn has a lover who is a
spy, any hopes for discretion are dashed. In the "Diamonds" film
she apparently knows who James Bond is and expects other people to
know, the spy is dead. With no explanation she says over the
phone, "You just killed JAMES BOND!" It is too easy to--with
little effort--to put a bullet in Bond's head.

Nobody does it better
Makes me feel sad for the rest.
Nobody does it half as good as you
Baby, you're the best.

{When she says nobody does it better or half as good, what
kind of metric is she using? Who researched it? Was it fun?
Maybe they held some kind of Sex Olympics?}

I wasn't lookin' but somehow you found me
I tried to hide from your love light

{What is he? A firefly?}

But like heaven above me
The spy who loved me
Is keepin' all my secrets safe tonight.

{A word to the wise: they may not be all that safe. My
suggestion would be not to invest so widely in a
monoculture.}

And nobody does it better
Though sometimes I wish someone could
Nobody does it quite the way you do

Why'd you have to be so good?

The way that you hold me
Whenever you hold me
There's some kind of magic inside you
That keeps me from runnin'
But just keep it comin'
How'd you learn to do the things you do?

{Learn? Are there courses in this stuff? Is that legal?}

Oh, and nobody does it better
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as you
Baby, baby, darlin', you're the best

{"baby,baby, darlin?"}

Baby you're the best
Darlin', you're the best
Baby you're the best

Oh, oh, oh...

Oh.

Next comes MOONRAKER, one of the worst Bond films in living memory.
Bond gets himself shot into outer space and defends Britain with
laser blasters. He is an astronaut and a spy at the same time. I
wonder how many CIA agents have had missions that took them into
space. I bet it hasn't been many.

Where are you? Why do you hide?

{I have a feeling we are going to find out.}

Where is that moonlight trail that leads to your side?

{Did he leave a trail of breadcrumbs?}

Just like the moonraker goes in search of his dream of gold,

{The only definition for "moonraker" in the dictionary is a
small triangular sail that flies at the top of the tallest
mast on a sailing ship.}

I search for love, for someone to have and hold.

{She doesn't want a lover. She wants a puppy. (I don't
blame her actually.)}

I've seen your smile in a thousand dreams,
Felt your touch and it always seems
You love me,
You love me.

{She is entirely lacking an imagination apparently.
She has seen her lover so many times and still doesn't know
what he looks like?}

Where are you? When will we meet?
Take my unfinished life and make it complete.
Just like the Moonraker knows his dream will come true someday,
I know that you are only a kiss away.

I've seen your smile in a thousand dreams,
Felt your touch and it always seems
You love me,
You love me.

{It seems to me she has invested a lot of time in a very
dodgy proposition.}

And then comes FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.

For your eyes only, can see me through the night

{Has she tried a good flashlight?}

For your eyes only, I never need to hide

{It is saying she does not have to hide for her lover's
eyes.}

You can see so much in me, so much in me that's new
I never felt until I looked at you

{I guess they must be playing some kind of silly Hide and
Seek game.}

For your eyes only, only for you
You'll see what no one else can see, and now I'm breaking free
For your eyes only, only for you
The love I know you need in me, the fantasy you've freed in me
Only for you, only for you

For your eyes only, the nights are never cold

{If it gets a bit chilly just throw a couple of eyeballs on
the fire.}

You really know me, that's all I need to know
Maybe I'm an open book because I know you're mine
But you won't need to read between the lines

For your eyes only, only for you
You see what no one else can see, and now I'm breaking free
For your eyes only, only for you
The passions that collide in me, the wild abandoned side of me
Only for you, for your eyes only

[-mrl]

TOPIC: THE SAVIOR GENERALS: HOW FIVE GREAT COMMANDERS SAVED WARS
THAT WERE LOST-FROM ANCIENT GREECE TO IRAQ by Victor Davis Hanson
(book review by Gregory Frederick)

This is my second book from Victor Hanson. The author selected
five generals to discuss in detail for this history book. He chose
as subjects three Americans and two ancient generals. Many
American readers maybe familiar with David H. Petraeus and William
T. Sherman and some may have heard of Matthew B. Ridgway.
Themistocles of Athens and Belisarius of the Byzantine Empire are
not names known by many today, but they make for excellent
additions to this group of military leaders who saved the day for
their state.

Petraeus's move to push for a surge in US forces in Iraq in 2007
helped to quell the increasing violence and allowed the US to
greatly reduce their military presence in Iraq. Sherman's actions
in capturing Atlanta helped to reshape the results of the Civil War
and aided Lincoln in his re-election bid for a second term which he
got. Ridgeway turned the impending defeat from the huge Communist
Chinese army that entered the Korean War into a route of the
Chinese and then forced a stalemate at the 38th parallel. The
Chinese entered the Korean War due to General MacArthur's ill
advised drive into the far northern areas of North Korea which was
too close to the Chinese border. Themistocles from ancient Athens
defeated the Persians in the naval battle at Salamis causing the
eventual triumph of the Greeks over the Persians. Belisarius was
Emperor Justinian's most successful general in expanding the empire
in an effort to regain the lost territories of the fallen Western
Roman Empire. The Byzantine Empire was actually the Eastern Roman
Empire. Belisarius's army was typically undermanned and not
supported enough financially but he still won many battles. Victor
Hanson is a great author of military history and his books are
filled with fascinating facts and details. [gf]

TOPIC: THE FALL OF ROME (letters of comment by Fred Lerner, Paul
Dormer, Keith F. Lynch, and Gary McGath)

09/10/21 issue of the MT VOID, Fred Lerner sent a PDF of his
(Fred's) article in the 25 February 1972 issue of the Science
Fiction Research Association Newsletter (Vol. 2, No. 2). The
article, entitled "The Curious Case of THE FALL OF ROME", reports
that Lafferty himself repeatedly claimed it was a novel (and
includes a letter from Lafferty that says he is surprised that
people don't recognize that it is a novel). However, Fred notes,"
neither the galleys ... nor the published book itself lay claim to
be other than straight fiction. So it has been reviewed, and so
the librarians have classified it. My own reading of the volume
leaves me no grounds for disagreement with this decision, except
that I have a bias toward accepting an author's own classification
of his work." Fred ultimately calls it a "quasi-novel". [-ecl/fl]

Paul Dormer responds to the line between history and fiction with:

Click here to read the complete article
Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<memo.20210919154405.19168A@pauldormer.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1201&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1201

From: prd...@pauldormer.cix.co.uk (Paul Dormer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 15:44 +0100 (BST)
 by: Paul Dormer - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:44 UTC

In article <af3848cc-9cff-4541-a784-aeaa1d7d8925n@googlegroups.com>,
evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com () wrote:

> Lafferty himself repeatedly claimed it was a novel (and
> includes a letter from Lafferty that says he is surprised that
> people don't recognize that it is a novel). However, Fred notes,"
> neither the galleys ... nor the published book itself lay claim to
> be other than straight fiction. So it has been reviewed, and so
> the librarians have classified it.

Does that make sense? If it was a novel, it would be fiction, and not a
novel, history.

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<2bdfb781-50ab-404a-a40d-85c12ed6bc7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1202&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1202

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 08:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: evelynch...@gmail.com (eleeper@optonline.net)
 by: eleeper@optonline.ne - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 15:24 UTC

Fred pointed out that I had mis-typed it as the complete reverse of what he said ("straight history"). A correction will run next week.

On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 10:44:08 AM UTC-4, Paul Dormer wrote:
> In article <af3848cc-9cff-4541...@googlegroups.com>,
> evelynchim...@gmail.com () wrote:
>
> > Lafferty himself repeatedly claimed it was a novel (and
> > includes a letter from Lafferty that says he is surprised that
> > people don't recognize that it is a novel). However, Fred notes,"
> > neither the galleys ... nor the published book itself lay claim to
> > be other than straight fiction. So it has been reviewed, and so
> > the librarians have classified it.
> Does that make sense? If it was a novel, it would be fiction, and not a
> novel, history.

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<memo.20210919164504.5616A@pauldormer.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1203&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1203

From: prd...@pauldormer.cix.co.uk (Paul Dormer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:45 +0100 (BST)
 by: Paul Dormer - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 15:45 UTC

In article <2bdfb781-50ab-404a-a40d-85c12ed6bc7an@googlegroups.com>,
evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com () wrote:

> Fred pointed out that I had mis-typed it as the complete reverse of
> what he said ("straight history"). A correction will run next week.

Oops. :-)

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<si7nau$oqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1204&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1204

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:09:00 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:09 UTC

On 9/19/21 9:55 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
> Next comes MOONRAKER, one of the worst Bond films in living memory.
> Bond gets himself shot into outer space and defends Britain with
> laser blasters. He is an astronaut and a spy at the same time. I
> wonder how many CIA agents have had missions that took them into
> space. I bet it hasn't been many.

When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie was
(however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same title. Maybe
they could make another movie of the novelization, and then novelize that?

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<qzowMJ.164K@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1205&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1205

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:32:43 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:32 UTC

In article <si7nau$oqo$1@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>On 9/19/21 9:55 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
>> Next comes MOONRAKER, one of the worst Bond films in living memory.
>> Bond gets himself shot into outer space and defends Britain with
>> laser blasters. He is an astronaut and a spy at the same time. I
>> wonder how many CIA agents have had missions that took them into
>> space. I bet it hasn't been many.
>
>When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie was
>(however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same title. Maybe
>they could make another movie of the novelization, and then novelize that?

Speaking of _Forbidden Planet_, which we were doing a week or so
ago, that film got a novelization after the fact. (It stank. I
think I've still got a copy, Cat knows why.)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<si84st$hf2$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1206&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1206

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: 19 Sep 2021 20:00:29 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:00 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>On 9/19/21 9:55 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
>> Next comes MOONRAKER, one of the worst Bond films in living memory.
>> Bond gets himself shot into outer space and defends Britain with
>> laser blasters. He is an astronaut and a spy at the same time. I
>> wonder how many CIA agents have had missions that took them into
>> space. I bet it hasn't been many.
>
>When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie was
>(however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same title. Maybe
>they could make another movie of the novelization, and then novelize that?

Didn't Disney do that with the Jungle Book?
--scott

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<au8fkgpk6l1g5akkl2n5qnk7cukblhtq0q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1207&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1207

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:13:45 -0700
 by: Tim Merrigan - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:13 UTC

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:09:00 -0400, Gary McGath
<garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:

>On 9/19/21 9:55 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
>> Next comes MOONRAKER, one of the worst Bond films in living memory.
>> Bond gets himself shot into outer space and defends Britain with
>> laser blasters. He is an astronaut and a spy at the same time. I
>> wonder how many CIA agents have had missions that took them into
>> space. I bet it hasn't been many.
>
>When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie was
>(however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same title. Maybe
>they could make another movie of the novelization, and then novelize that?

I've read the original novel*, and the only similarities to the movie,
or, presumably, the mobilization, which I haven't read, was the title,
and that James Bond was in it.

In the book, Moonraker is a V-2, or equivalent, being set up somewhere
(I forget, it's been a while) in the west of England, targeted at
London. (It really should have been an MI-5, rather than MI-6,
problem.)

*One of the two James Bond books I've read, the other was Casino
Royale.
--

Qualified immuninity = vertual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<c3afkgll8akqaebvpvnm4p1eef3fm06cao@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1208&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1208

From: tpp...@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:17:10 -0700
 by: Tim Merrigan - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:17 UTC

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:13:45 -0700, Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:09:00 -0400, Gary McGath
><garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>
>>On 9/19/21 9:55 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
>>> Next comes MOONRAKER, one of the worst Bond films in living memory.
>>> Bond gets himself shot into outer space and defends Britain with
>>> laser blasters. He is an astronaut and a spy at the same time. I
>>> wonder how many CIA agents have had missions that took them into
>>> space. I bet it hasn't been many.
>>
>>When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie was
>>(however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same title. Maybe
>>they could make another movie of the novelization, and then novelize that?
>
>I've read the original novel*, and the only similarities to the movie,
>or, presumably, the mobilization, which I haven't read, was the title,
>and that James Bond was in it.
Damned spelling checker: novelization

--

Qualified immuninity = vertual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<si89u9$mkh$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1209&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1209

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:26:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:26 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>> When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie
>> was (however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same
>> title. Maybe they could make another movie of the novelization,
>> and then novelize that?

> Didn't Disney do that with the Jungle Book?

They, or someone, certainly did with the 1967 version. I don't know
about the remakes. I don't remember the author, not having read the
book or seen the movie in 54 years, but I know it wasn't Kipling.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<si8e1n$ujg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1210&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1210

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:36:37 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:36 UTC

On 9/19/21 5:26 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>>> When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie
>>> was (however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same
>>> title. Maybe they could make another movie of the novelization,
>>> and then novelize that?
>
>> Didn't Disney do that with the Jungle Book?
>
> They, or someone, certainly did with the 1967 version. I don't know
> about the remakes. I don't remember the author, not having read the
> book or seen the movie in 54 years, but I know it wasn't Kipling.

A search turns up a "novelization" of the 1994 version which is actually
a 10-page children's book. It credits Kipling as a co-author, which I
think compounds the crime.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<qzpDtw.1yMK@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1211&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1211

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:44:20 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:44 UTC

In article <si84st$hf2$1@panix2.panix.com>,
Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>>On 9/19/21 9:55 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
>>> Next comes MOONRAKER, one of the worst Bond films in living memory.
>>> Bond gets himself shot into outer space and defends Britain with
>>> laser blasters. He is an astronaut and a spy at the same time. I
>>> wonder how many CIA agents have had missions that took them into
>>> space. I bet it hasn't been many.
>>
>>When the movie came out, there was a novelization of it. The movie was
>>(however loosely) based on an Ian Fleming novel of the same title. Maybe
>>they could make another movie of the novelization, and then novelize that?
>
>Didn't Disney do that with the Jungle Book?

Holy Cat.

They may have done, but there were a couple of actual books
first.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: MT VOID, 09/17/21 -- Vol. 40, No. 12, Whole Number 2189

<20210920102441.7ed06818d67222de63133818@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1212&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1212

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 10:24:41 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 09:24 UTC

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 06:55:51 -0700 (PDT)
"eleeper@optonline.net" <evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com> wrote:

[]

> TOPIC: Bond Songs (Part 4) (THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, MOONRAKER, FOR
> YOUR EYES ONLY) (comments by Mark R. Leeper)

[]

> Just like the moonraker goes in search of his dream of gold,
>
> {The only definition for "moonraker" in the dictionary is a
> small triangular sail that flies at the top of the tallest
> mast on a sailing ship.}

A Moonraker was a West Country smuggler (or bunch of them) who were recovering some smuggled goods that they'd stashed in a pond. When spotted doing so by the Revenue/local cops they claimed to be Moonraking - trying to catch the image of the moon reflected on the pond, so were left alone as a bunch of stupid yokels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonrakers

says it better than my attempt.
[]

--