From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Subject: Plastic Fingernails
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 09:26:39 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:26 UTC

Can anyone here recommend a brand/model of plastic fingernails for
playing the guitar, repairing nails that have broken off?

Are these a good choice?
https://www.amazon.com/500PCS-Natural-Acrylic-Artificial-Manicure/dp/B07GW9TGJK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GNK6474MTAX7&keywords=plastic%2Bnails&qid=1686414057&sprefix=plastic%2Bfingernails%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1

or https://amzn.to/42AfZrY

Re: Plastic Fingernails

<u62mfe$2dkas$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1214

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Subject: Re: Plastic Fingernails
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:29:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:e64hDfRd7ROv7nHjqk/FNyK7wpk=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> Can anyone here recommend a brand/model of plastic fingernails for
> playing the guitar, repairing nails that have broken off?
>
> Are these a good choice?
> https://www.amazon.com/500PCS-Natural-Acrylic-Artificial-Manicure/dp/B07GW9TGJK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GNK6474MTAX7&keywords=plastic%2Bnails&qid86414057&sprefix=plastic%2Bfingernails%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1
>
> or https://amzn.to/42AfZrY

I’ve used similar products before. Because the curve of the plastic nail
didn’t match the curve of my nail, I needed to dip it in boiling water to
flatten it a bit. I remember holding the plastic nail with tweezers at the
tip end, i.e., the end that would get cut down and filed. Then I decided to
use the tape, which came with the product, to affix it to my nail, because
glue often loses its hold in one area but not another, which becomes a
problem. The tape can be taken off easily, but glue is not so easy to get
off. The tape held well for most of the day. The problem with tape is that
it raises the plastic nail up a little bit. I decided that that problem was
better than the problem with glue.

The last time my nail broke and I had a gig—so I needed a solution—I
brushed on an acrylic nail. This got me through the gig well, but, like how
I described the problem with glue, after a week or so it became partially
detached. I soaked my finger in acetone for many minutes, then, stupidly, I
hastily ripped it off taking a layer of my natural nail with it. I
regretted that.

--
Matt

Re: Plastic Fingernails

<u62nr9$2dpjr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1215&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1215

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:52:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OoBW05OipRtiB/hGSCYO8l8snho=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:52 UTC

Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone here recommend a brand/model of plastic fingernails for
>> playing the guitar, repairing nails that have broken off?
>>
>> Are these a good choice?
>> https://www.amazon.com/500PCS-Natural-Acrylic-Artificial-Manicure/dp/B07GW9TGJK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GNK6474MTAX7&keywords=plastic%2Bnails&qid86414057&sprefix=plastic%2Bfingernails%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1
>>
>> or https://amzn.to/42AfZrY
>>

> I’ve used similar products before. Because the curve of the plastic nail
> didn’t match the curve of my nail, I needed to dip it in boiling water to
> flatten it a bit. I remember holding the plastic nail with tweezers at the
> tip end, i.e., the end that would get cut down and filed. Then I decided to
> use the tape, which came with the product, to affix it to my nail, because
> glue often loses its hold in one area but not another, which becomes a
> problem. The tape can be taken off easily, but glue is not so easy to get
> off. The tape held well for most of the day. The problem with tape is that
> it raises the plastic nail up a little bit. I decided that that problem was
> better than the problem with glue.
>
> The last time my nail broke and I had a gig—so I needed a solution—I
> brushed on an acrylic nail. This got me through the gig well, but, like how
> I described the problem with glue, after a week or so it became partially
> detached. I soaked my finger in acetone for many minutes, then, stupidly, I
> hastily ripped it off taking a layer of my natural nail with it. I
> regretted that.

Maybe there’s a glue that would be better for our purposes than the typical
Crazy Glue. I wonder if Elmer’s White Glue would work. Maybe it would hold
well for a day or two then be easy to take completely off. I assume that
rubber cement would be too weak. I wonder what else might work.

--
Matt

Re: Plastic Fingernails

<a98d4d5b-564a-4245-b57e-6e1da67aa49an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1216&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1216

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:49:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: aydinze...@gmail.com (aydin...@gmail.com)
 by: aydin...@gmail.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 23:49 UTC

On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 12:26:44 PM UTC-4, Ken Blake wrote:
> Can anyone here recommend a brand/model of plastic fingernails for
> playing the guitar, repairing nails that have broken off?
>
> Are these a good choice?
> https://www.amazon.com/500PCS-Natural-Acrylic-Artificial-Manicure/dp/B07GW9TGJK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GNK6474MTAX7&keywords=plastic%2Bnails&qid=1686414057&sprefix=plastic%2Bfingernails%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1
>
> or https://amzn.to/42AfZrY

Plastic nails weaken the actual nail further. Better to use what that strengthen the nail itself like taking biotin and vitamin B supplements. Zinc helps with nails (as well as hair). I often rub my hands and nails with fresh lemon juice- I think the vitamin C helps also.

Re: Plastic Fingernails

<ut7f8i5ra0h8cng87k11gd6veit6lima80@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1217

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:45:01 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:45 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:52:57 -0000 (UTC), Matt Faunce
<mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:

>Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>> Can anyone here recommend a brand/model of plastic fingernails for
>>> playing the guitar, repairing nails that have broken off?
>>>
>>> Are these a good choice?
>>> https://www.amazon.com/500PCS-Natural-Acrylic-Artificial-Manicure/dp/B07GW9TGJK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GNK6474MTAX7&keywords=plastic%2Bnails&qid86414057&sprefix=plastic%2Bfingernails%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1
>>>
>>> or https://amzn.to/42AfZrY
>>>

>> I’ve used similar products before. Because the curve of the plastic nail
>> didn’t match the curve of my nail, I needed to dip it in boiling water to
>> flatten it a bit. I remember holding the plastic nail with tweezers at the
>> tip end, i.e., the end that would get cut down and filed. Then I decided to
>> use the tape, which came with the product, to affix it to my nail, because
>> glue often loses its hold in one area but not another, which becomes a
>> problem. The tape can be taken off easily, but glue is not so easy to get
>> off. The tape held well for most of the day. The problem with tape is that
>> it raises the plastic nail up a little bit. I decided that that problem was
>> better than the problem with glue.
>>
>> The last time my nail broke and I had a gig—so I needed a solution—I
>> brushed on an acrylic nail. This got me through the gig well, but, like how
>> I described the problem with glue, after a week or so it became partially
>> detached. I soaked my finger in acetone for many minutes, then, stupidly, I
>> hastily ripped it off taking a layer of my natural nail with it. I
>> regretted that.
>>

>Maybe there’s a glue that would be better for our purposes than the typical
>Crazy Glue. I wonder if Elmer’s White Glue would work. Maybe it would hold
>well for a day or two then be easy to take completely off. I assume that
>rubber cement would be too weak. I wonder what else might work.

Re: Plastic Fingernails

<hv7f8i1ca5h88cs6lrjphg91hsv62qknte@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1218&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1218

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:46:04 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:46 UTC

<mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:

>Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>> Can anyone here recommend a brand/model of plastic fingernails for
>>> playing the guitar, repairing nails that have broken off?
>>>
>>> Are these a good choice?
>>> https://www.amazon.com/500PCS-Natural-Acrylic-Artificial-Manicure/dp/B07GW9TGJK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GNK6474MTAX7&keywords=plastic%2Bnails&qid86414057&sprefix=plastic%2Bfingernails%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1
>>>
>>> or https://amzn.to/42AfZrY
>>>

>> I’ve used similar products before. Because the curve of the plastic nail
>> didn’t match the curve of my nail, I needed to dip it in boiling water to
>> flatten it a bit. I remember holding the plastic nail with tweezers at the
>> tip end, i.e., the end that would get cut down and filed. Then I decided to
>> use the tape, which came with the product, to affix it to my nail, because
>> glue often loses its hold in one area but not another, which becomes a
>> problem. The tape can be taken off easily, but glue is not so easy to get
>> off. The tape held well for most of the day. The problem with tape is that
>> it raises the plastic nail up a little bit. I decided that that problem was
>> better than the problem with glue.
>>
>> The last time my nail broke and I had a gig—so I needed a solution—I
>> brushed on an acrylic nail. This got me through the gig well, but, like how
>> I described the problem with glue, after a week or so it became partially
>> detached. I soaked my finger in acetone for many minutes, then, stupidly, I
>> hastily ripped it off taking a layer of my natural nail with it. I
>> regretted that.
>>

>Maybe there’s a glue that would be better for our purposes than the typical
>Crazy Glue. I wonder if Elmer’s White Glue would work. Maybe it would hold
>well for a day or two then be easy to take completely off. I assume that
>rubber cement would be too weak. I wonder what else might work.

A friend recommended KDS Nail Glue, and I tried it yesterday. So far,
so good.

Re: Plastic Fingernails

<u18f8idgc2ksj0iucshr79mbl4vchhuif3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1219&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1219

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:48:04 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:48 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:49:41 -0700 (PDT), "aydin...@gmail.com"
<aydinzehra@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 12:26:44?PM UTC-4, Ken Blake wrote:
>> Can anyone here recommend a brand/model of plastic fingernails for
>> playing the guitar, repairing nails that have broken off?
>>
>> Are these a good choice?
>> https://www.amazon.com/500PCS-Natural-Acrylic-Artificial-Manicure/dp/B07GW9TGJK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GNK6474MTAX7&keywords=plastic%2Bnails&qid=1686414057&sprefix=plastic%2Bfingernails%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1
>>
>> or https://amzn.to/42AfZrY
>
>Plastic nails weaken the actual nail further. Better to use what that strengthen the nail itself

Thanks, but I wasn't interested in strengthening he nail. I just
wanted to repair a broken nail.