Subject: Happy 90th, Natalie S. Bober! (YA biographer)
From: Lenona
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 04:49 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 20:49:55 -0800 (PST)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
She lives in White Plains, New York.

"A lifelong interest in the creative arts, a strong background in the humanities, and many years of teaching have prompted me to tell the stories of men and women whose achievements might serve as an inspiration for junior and senior high school students. There is a strong need today for role models relevant to this age group who can inspire young people to find the greatness within themselves. It is important for them to recognize that all great people were once young, with the same fears, doubts, and concerns that they have. Yet they achieved. But they achieved by faith in themselves, persistence, and hard work...

"...Eventually I started to write. And I sent query letters, then proposals, outlines, and sample chapters to publishing houses. Twenty-one houses responded: 'No thank you.' They all told me, kindly, that it was a great idea, well written, but it wouldn't sell. Young people today just don't read William Wordsworth, they said.

"I was devastated. But I continued to send it around--one publishing house at a time. The twenty-second editor who read the manuscript was an Anglophile--she loved all things English--and she was willing to. take a chance. But--she wanted a complete manuscript before she would give me a contract, and she wanted a new beginning. She got them both. When the book was finally published, after twenty-one rejections and four years of research and writing, William Wordsworth: The Wandering
Poet was named by the Child Study Association to its list, 'Best
Biographies of the Year,' and I was off and running--literally and
figuratively. And that's the definition of the word persistence."

http://www.nataliebober.com/

https://m.facebook.com/nataliesbober/

http://www.pbs.org/jefferson/archives/interviews/Bober.htm
(interview, regarding Thomas Jefferson)

https://www.upress.virginia.edu/title/2982
 (review of Thomas Jefferson: Draftsman of a Nation)

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1440&bih=710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=vi&q=natalie%20bober&tbs=isch:1
(Book covers and photos)

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:

* William Wordsworth: The Wandering Poet, Thomas Nelson
(Nashville, TN), 1975.

* A Restless Spirit: The Story of Robert Frost, Atheneum (New
York, NY), 1981.

* Breaking Tradition: The Story of Louise Nevelson, Atheneum (New
York, NY), 1984.

* (Compiler) Let's Pretend: Poems of Flight and Fancy, illustrated
by Bill Bell, Viking (New York, NY), 1986.

* Thomas Jefferson: Man on a Mountain, Atheneum (New York, NY),
1988.

* Marc Chagall: Painter of Dreams, illustrated by Vera Rosenberry,
Jewish Publication Society (Philadelphia, PA), 1991.

* Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution, Atheneum (New York, NY),
1995.

* Countdown to Independence: A Revolution of Ideas in England and
Her American Colonies, 1760-1776, Atheneum (New York, NY), 2001.

* Thomas Jefferson: Draftsman of a Nation, 2007.

"Contributor to periodicals, including The Lion and the Unicorn

Subject: Re: Happy 90th, Natalie S. Bober! (YA biographer)
From: Lenona
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 04:58 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 20:58:26 -0800 (PST)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/natalie-s-bober/
 (four Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/79917.Natalie_S_Bober
 (reader reviews - her most popular book appears to be Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution)

https://jamarattigan.com/2013/09/27/friday-feast-chatting-with-natalie-s-bober-about-papa-is-a-poet-a-story-about-robert-frost/#more-10924
 (interview about her story about Robert Frost, Papa is a Poet)

https://www.writermag.com/blog/natalie-bober/
 (2017 interview)

Lenona.