The world wants to be deceived. -- Sebastian Brant

arts / rec.music.classical.guitar / Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.

SubjectAuthor
* Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.Marilyn Noad
`* Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.Matt Faunce
 `* Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.Matt Faunce
  `* Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.Matt Faunce
   `- Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.gtr

1
Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.

<5bce9556-6ffd-4d2c-9bcc-9a9714865d72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1225&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1225

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 14:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.
From: clayn...@gmail.com (Marilyn Noad)
 by: Marilyn Noad - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:14 UTC

It is heartening to see my husband's books are still so popular. What is a disgrace however is that in spite of his continuing sales I have not received any royalties for several years from the publishers, i.e. Music Sales Corporation and Hal Leonard for distribution. I have not received andy accounting from them either.. My husband and I counted on these books being our retirement income but they went from being quite a decent royalty to absolute zero.
This is very suspicious and I invite you to draw your own conclusions. Unfortunately I do not have the money to hire lawyers to take on these giant corporations and they know it.

Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.

<u9fhmc$3lns8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1226&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1226

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:16:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pYzu4DCVKxYFJN7pQV55m9icV2Y=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:16 UTC

Marilyn Noad <claynoad@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is heartening to see my husband's books are still so popular. What is
> a disgrace however is that in spite of his continuing sales I have not
> received any royalties for several years from the publishers, i.e. Music
> Sales Corporation and Hal Leonard for distribution. I have not received
> andy accounting from them either.. My husband and I counted on these
> books being our retirement income but they went from being quite a decent
> royalty to absolute zero.
> This is very suspicious and I invite you to draw your own conclusions.
> Unfortunately I do not have the money to hire lawyers to take on these
> giant corporations and they know it.

This reminded me of Matanya Ophee wrote, here on rmcg, on 1/16/12.

I had written:

“Any of the Eleven Preludes by Jonas Tamulionis, published in Editions
Orphée's Russian Collection Vol. V would be, IMO, perfect.”

thomas replied:

“Send me a pdf and I'll record it for youtube.”

Matanya replied to thomas:

“You think you have the chops for something I published? If so, go for it.
It is not my copyright anyway, but belongs to G. Schirmer of New York which
is owned by Music Sales, which is owned by some pretty rough types I am
told. I don't know if they will waste cement shoes on you, but they have
ways of making your life miserable. Go ahead, make their day...”

--
Matt

Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.

<u9fiif$3lsse$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1227&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1227

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NWJhPTU8l1e99mXeB78+5yRlYno=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:31 UTC

Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marilyn Noad <claynoad@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is heartening to see my husband's books are still so popular. What is
>> a disgrace however is that in spite of his continuing sales I have not
>> received any royalties for several years from the publishers, i.e. Music
>> Sales Corporation and Hal Leonard for distribution. I have not received
>> andy accounting from them either.. My husband and I counted on these
>> books being our retirement income but they went from being quite a decent
>> royalty to absolute zero.
>> This is very suspicious and I invite you to draw your own conclusions.
>> Unfortunately I do not have the money to hire lawyers to take on these
>> giant corporations and they know it.
>>

> This reminded me of Matanya Ophee wrote, here on rmcg, on 1/16/12.
>
> I had written:
>
> “Any of the Eleven Preludes by Jonas Tamulionis, published in Editions
> Orphée's Russian Collection Vol. V would be, IMO, perfect.”
>
> thomas replied:
>
> “Send me a pdf and I'll record it for youtube.”
>
> Matanya replied to thomas:
>
> “You think you have the chops for something I published? If so, go for it.
> It is not my copyright anyway, but belongs to G. Schirmer of New York which
> is owned by Music Sales, which is owned by some pretty rough types I am
> told. I don't know if they will waste cement shoes on you, but they have
> ways of making your life miserable. Go ahead, make their day...”

Although, it looks like Music Sales sold its catalog to Hal Leonard
sometime before this article from April of 2018:

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/music-sales-is-now-a-pureplay-publisher-with-50m-in-the-bank-after-selling-books-and-retail-business/

--
Matt

Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.

<u9fj9l$3m05u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1228

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:43:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kw5ZxJWZe1Bcn48neUSojqqvM3w=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 03:43 UTC

Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Marilyn Noad <claynoad@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It is heartening to see my husband's books are still so popular. What is
>>> a disgrace however is that in spite of his continuing sales I have not
>>> received any royalties for several years from the publishers, i.e. Music
>>> Sales Corporation and Hal Leonard for distribution. I have not received
>>> andy accounting from them either.. My husband and I counted on these
>>> books being our retirement income but they went from being quite a decent
>>> royalty to absolute zero.
>>> This is very suspicious and I invite you to draw your own conclusions.
>>> Unfortunately I do not have the money to hire lawyers to take on these
>>> giant corporations and they know it.
>>>

>> This reminded me of Matanya Ophee wrote, here on rmcg, on 1/16/12.
>>
>> I had written:
>>
>> “Any of the Eleven Preludes by Jonas Tamulionis, published in Editions
>> Orphée's Russian Collection Vol. V would be, IMO, perfect.”
>>
>> thomas replied:
>>
>> “Send me a pdf and I'll record it for youtube.”
>>
>> Matanya replied to thomas:
>>
>> “You think you have the chops for something I published? If so, go for it.
>> It is not my copyright anyway, but belongs to G. Schirmer of New York which
>> is owned by Music Sales, which is owned by some pretty rough types I am
>> told. I don't know if they will waste cement shoes on you, but they have
>> ways of making your life miserable. Go ahead, make their day...”
>>

> Although, it looks like Music Sales sold its catalog to Hal Leonard
> sometime before this article from April of 2018:
>
> https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/music-sales-is-now-a-pureplay-publisher-with-50m-in-the-bank-after-selling-books-and-retail-business/

I don’t understand this, from the article:

“In addition, Music Sales and Hal Leonard will work together in the future
after entering into a global licensing agreement to represent and exploit
Music Sales’ copyrights in print.”

Anyway, good luck to you, Marilyn.

--
Matt

Re: Frederick M Noad's Guitar Instruction Books and Collections.

<u9hpv2$3vseu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1229&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1229

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 23:49:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 23:49 UTC

On Jul 21, 2023 at 8:43:50 PM PDT, "Matt Faunce" <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> This reminded me of Matanya Ophee wrote, here on rmcg, on 1/16/12.
>>>
>>> I had written:
>>>
>>> “Any of the Eleven Preludes by Jonas Tamulionis, published in Editions
>>> Orphée's Russian Collection Vol. V would be, IMO, perfect.”
>>>
>>> thomas replied:
>>>
>>> “Send me a pdf and I'll record it for youtube.”
>>>
>>> Matanya replied to thomas:
>>>
>>> “You think you have the chops for something I published? If so, go for it.
>>> It is not my copyright anyway, but belongs to G. Schirmer of New York which
>>> is owned by Music Sales, which is owned by some pretty rough types I am
>>> told. I don't know if they will waste cement shoes on you, but they have
>>> ways of making your life miserable. Go ahead, make their day...”
>>>

>> Although, it looks like Music Sales sold its catalog to Hal Leonard
>> sometime before this article from April of 2018:
>>
>> https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/music-sales-is-now-a-pureplay-publisher-with-50m-in-the-bank-after-selling-books-and-retail-business/
>>

> I don’t understand this, from the article:
>
> “In addition, Music Sales and Hal Leonard will work together in the future
> after entering into a global licensing agreement to represent and exploit
> Music Sales’ copyrights in print.”
>
> Anyway, good luck to you, Marilyn.

It hardly matters how hard the publishing companies work to keep people from
bootlegging their product. Being the author of the publication and "forgotten"
by the publishers is, to some extent, like being across the counter from the
same "tough guys", but for very different reasons. Both bootleggers and
authors cost them money.

I assume the complainant has sent a few registered letters to the publisher of
Noad's work enquiring about royalties. If it were me, and I know it isn't, I
would talk to a lawyer about writing the next a few letters, and accompanying
them with a few calls.

If there was any way to know how well they have sold in recent years, one
might be able to throw more money at a lawyer to threaten a suit.