Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Subject: Re: Tonight
From: me...@my.place.invalid (MartinS)
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 19:09:45 -0400
 by: MartinS - Tue, 4 May 2021 23:09 UTC

kat <littlelionne@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/04/2021 21:03, James Heaton wrote:

>>> Are there still any Brits watching just BBC1 and ITV1 on 405-line
>>> B&W CRT television sets rented from Granada?
>>>
>>> How about people lumbered with those huge back-projection TV
>>> cabinets from the 1990s that preceded digital flat screens?
>>
>> I still have the latter.  Lovely big Samsung 24", great sound and
>> decent picture. I tend not to throw away things until they break.
>
> And why should you, if you like it? I remember the ne we had, can't
> remember the make now, it did eventually go wrong, but it was a lovely
> set.
>
> I sometimes think I am the only one who doesn't care about HD. I can
> see enough wrinkles on the Corrie faces with it!
Especially Rita's. ;-)

I have two LG HD TVs, a 37" in the living room which fits in a cabinet,
and a 60" in the basement family room. I download UK programs such as
sitcoms and other studio productions in 480p or 540p and watch on the
37". If it's something like a David Attenborough wildlife documentary
shot with hi-tech cameras, I'll download the 720p or 1080p version when
available and watch on the 60". It doesn't cost me any more since I have
unlimited bandwidth, but it takes longer and consumes more disk space.

Our first TV in 1954 was a 17" 405-line B&W console, on which we watched
the one and only (BBC) channel from the far side of the room. A year
later, we got ITV and the dreaded commercial break!

--
Martin S

Re: Tonight

<ifeu5rF6qkaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1239&group=rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st#1239

From: littleli...@hotmail.com (kat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 08:01:13 +0100
 by: kat - Wed, 5 May 2021 07:01 UTC

On 05/05/2021 00:09, MartinS wrote:
> kat <littlelionne@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18/04/2021 21:03, James Heaton wrote:
>>> "MartinS" <me@my.place.invalid> wrote...

>>> I still have the latter.  Lovely big Samsung 24", great sound and
>>> decent picture. I tend not to throw away things until they break.
>>
>> And why should you, if you like it? I remember the ne we had, can't
>> remember the make now, it did eventually go wrong, but it was a lovely
>> set.
>>
>> I sometimes think I am the only one who doesn't care about HD. I can
>> see enough wrinkles on the Corrie faces with it!
>
> Especially Rita's. ;-)

Indeed.:-) But it is some of the one ones you think of as stil being "young"
that get to me more!

> I have two LG HD TVs, a 37" in the living room which fits in a cabinet,
> and a 60" in the basement family room. I download UK programs such as
> sitcoms and other studio productions in 480p or 540p and watch on the
> 37". If it's something like a David Attenborough wildlife documentary
> shot with hi-tech cameras, I'll download the 720p or 1080p version when
> available and watch on the 60". It doesn't cost me any more since I have
> unlimited bandwidth, but it takes longer and consumes more disk space.
>
> Our first TV in 1954 was a 17" 405-line B&W console, on which we watched
> the one and only (BBC) channel from the far side of the room. A year
> later, we got ITV and the dreaded commercial break!

We have a couple of HD tvs too, I forget the actaul sizes, but I think the one
in the living room is a 42", the other a little bigger is in the bedroom, but I
never, or rarely, watch that one, mr kat does. He's the one who wants the HD,
I am the one who, where I can and when I think it won't matter at all, switches
his set up recordings on the Sky box to the normal channels. A documentary with
talking heads and ancient footage for example.:-)

When I was a child we first got a tv in time for Christmas, 1959. It probably
was a 17" thinking about it - my parents tried out a few and one was smaller.
Lovely set with cabinet doors, just the 2 TV channels, but also radio and very
good sound. One of the channels was very fuzzy for a while but then we got a
new transmitter nearby.

--
kat