"Do you believe in intuition?" "No, but I have a strange feeling that someday I will."

arts / rec.arts.tv / I've never liked Taylor Swift

SubjectAuthor
* I've never liked Taylor SwiftRichA
+- Re: I've never liked Taylor SwiftYour Name
+* Re: I've never liked Taylor SwiftPete
|`- Re: I've never liked Taylor Swifttrotsky
+* Re: I've never liked Taylor Swiftanim8rfsk
|+- Re: I've never liked Taylor Swifttrotsky
|+- Re: I've never liked Taylor SwiftEGK
|`* Re: I've never liked Taylor Swiftshawn
| `* Re: I've never liked Taylor SwiftAdam H. Kerman
|  `* Re: I've never liked Taylor Swiftshawn
|   `- Re: I've never liked Taylor Swifttrotsky
`- Re: I've never liked Taylor Swifttrotsky

1
I've never liked Taylor Swift

<bb4fbdc6-bbed-462b-9edd-44f6546bb4c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124002&group=rec.arts.tv#124002

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:37:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: I've never liked Taylor Swift
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 05:37 UTC

Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary songstesses. She's fairly
articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley in L.A.
She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's because her transition from country to pop seemed strategically-planned, probably by a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a flawed "dedication" to the craft.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<smssii$4hv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124005&group=rec.arts.tv#124005

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 18:52:18 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 05:52 UTC

On 2021-11-15 05:37:21 +0000, RichA said:

> Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an
> instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary
> songstesses. She's fairly
> articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley
> in L.A. She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's
> because her transition from country to pop seemed
> strategically-planned, probably by a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a
> flawed "dedication" to the craft.
>
> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/

She has more sense than all the other pop princesses combined ...
although many of her choices of (rumoured) boyfriends would seem to
indicate otherwise.

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<smt25i$1uju$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124008&group=rec.arts.tv#124008

From: neverl...@GoodeveCa.net (Pete)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 07:27:46 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: neverland@GoodeveCa.net (Pete)
 by: Pete - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 07:27 UTC

In article <bb4fbdc6-bbed-462b-9edd-44f6546bb4c7n@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an
>instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary songstesses.
>She's fairly
>articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley in L.A.
>She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's because
>her transition from country to pop seemed strategically-planned,
>probably by a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a flawed "dedication" to
>the craft.
>
>https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/

I hate to find myself agreeing with Rich, but I've never had much
of a feel for her music. either. I think it's mostly that I don't
like her voice much -- rather thin and harsh. She also (from some
stuff I've heard) has a bit of a fondness for "non-melodies" mostly
on one note. I compare her to women with voices, like Brenda Lee
or Brandi Carlile, to take a couple of random examples.

I did rather like her 10 minute performance on SNL last night, though.
It's not hate, just lack of interest.

-- Pete --

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<smtbma$e15$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124020&group=rec.arts.tv#124020

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 04:10:18 -0600
 by: trotsky - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 10:10 UTC

On 11/15/2021 1:27 AM, Pete wrote:
> In article <bb4fbdc6-bbed-462b-9edd-44f6546bb4c7n@googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an
>> instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary songstesses.
>> She's fairly
>> articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley in L.A.
>> She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's because
>> her transition from country to pop seemed strategically-planned,
>> probably by a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a flawed "dedication" to
>> the craft.
>>
>> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/
>>
> I hate to find myself agreeing with Rich, but I've never had much
> of a feel for her music. either. I think it's mostly that I don't
> like her voice much -- rather thin and harsh. She also (from some
> stuff I've heard) has a bit of a fondness for "non-melodies" mostly
> on one note. I compare her to women with voices, like Brenda Lee
> or Brandi Carlile, to take a couple of random examples.
>
> I did rather like her 10 minute performance on SNL last night, though.
> It's not hate, just lack of interest.

She does a good job with her makeup, I'm sure that helps with her
popularity. Musically if Joni Mitchell had had a lobotomy she still
would've been far more talented. If you really want to put Ms. Swift in
perspective, look for a video on YouTube with Taylor Swift bringing
Stevie Nicks on stage to sing "Rhiannon" with her. Really great singing
coupled with horribly awful singing.

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<1187352060.658667053.570269.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124025&group=rec.arts.tv#124025

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 04:06:41 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 11:06 UTC

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an
> instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary songstesses. She's fairly
> articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley in L.A.
> She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's because her
> transition from country to pop seemed strategically-planned, probably by
> a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a flawed "dedication" to the craft.
>
> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/

https://youtu.be/TUzjN38g6sw

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<smtgs8$106n$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124028&group=rec.arts.tv#124028

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 05:38:47 -0600
 by: trotsky - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 11:38 UTC

On 11/15/2021 5:06 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an
>> instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary songstesses. She's fairly
>> articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley in L.A.
>> She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's because her
>> transition from country to pop seemed strategically-planned, probably by
>> a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a flawed "dedication" to the craft.
>>
>> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/
>>

> https://youtu.be/TUzjN38g6sw

Oh look, Anim8r the freak does read my posts.

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<smth2k$106n$6@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124031&group=rec.arts.tv#124031

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 05:42:12 -0600
 by: trotsky - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 11:42 UTC

On 11/14/2021 11:37 PM, RichA wrote:

I never like brussel sprouts.

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<20k4pgpn3fonb7i656j40pcqm1uqt3373h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124033&group=rec.arts.tv#124033

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 07:18:34 -0500
 by: EGK - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 12:18 UTC

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 04:06:41 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an
>> instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary songstesses. She's fairly
>> articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley in L.A.
>> She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's because her
>> transition from country to pop seemed strategically-planned, probably by
>> a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a flawed "dedication" to the craft.
>>
>> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/
>>

>https://youtu.be/TUzjN38g6sw

Ol' Jake sure dodged a bullet there.

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<b2m4pg5ulc5bu5hakl6topn8dp6e7qn2nu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124035&group=rec.arts.tv#124035

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:09:53 -0500
 by: shawn - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 13:09 UTC

wrote:

>RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure why. She's not ugly. She's modestly talented, plays an
>> instrument which puts her one up on most vapid contemporary songstesses. She's fairly
>> articulate, talks like a human, not something that came out of a valley in L.A.
>> She's not a rap thug pig with 3 inch fingernails. Maybe it's because her
>> transition from country to pop seemed strategically-planned, probably by
>> a groups of "handlers.? Betrays a flawed "dedication" to the craft.
>>
>> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/taylor-swift-snl-all-too-well-red-taylors-version-1235111712/
>>

>https://youtu.be/TUzjN38g6sw

Yeah, she definitely didn't choose the right song for her voice. As
you can see when she gets into her own music her voice works fine for
that song. Of course she's really been successful because of her
ability to come up with great songs and not a fantastic singing voice.

I don't know if it's all true but just reading the top comment says
that this performance helped inspire a CD that got her two Grammy
awards. To be fair Stevie Nicks, while always a great singer, helped
get herself and Fleetwood Mac notice because of her own ability as a
songwriter. Without those great songs I don't know that she would have
got national attention.

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<smtorb$hb0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124038&group=rec.arts.tv#124038

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 13:54:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 13:54 UTC

>. . .

>I don't know if it's all true but just reading the top comment says
>that this performance helped inspire a CD that got her two Grammy
>awards. . . .

Can I just point out the obvious that a Grammy is never awarded for
talent but for sales?

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<if95pg5po9dg2m45k6470qm4aker1nsd89@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124071&group=rec.arts.tv#124071

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 13:26:46 -0500
 by: shawn - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 18:26 UTC

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 13:54:51 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>. . .
>
>>I don't know if it's all true but just reading the top comment says
>>that this performance helped inspire a CD that got her two Grammy
>>awards. . . .
>
>Can I just point out the obvious that a Grammy is never awarded for
>talent but for sales?

True, but sales often follow from a certain amount of talent. Note, I
didn't say singing ability but over all talent in the entertainment
industry which means an ability to come up with a product that the
market wants and properly market it. It's hard to argue that she's not
successful in coming up with a marketable product and getting the
public to buy it.

Re: I've never liked Taylor Swift

<smuesd$tca$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=124084&group=rec.arts.tv#124084

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 14:10:52 -0600
 by: trotsky - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:10 UTC

On 11/15/2021 12:26 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 13:54:51 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>
>>> . . .
>>
>>> I don't know if it's all true but just reading the top comment says
>>> that this performance helped inspire a CD that got her two Grammy
>>> awards. . . .
>>
>> Can I just point out the obvious that a Grammy is never awarded for
>> talent but for sales?
>
> True, but sales often follow from a certain amount of talent.

Not in this case. She's fucking terrible. When they finally pry the
microphone from her cold dead hands nobody will give a shit about her
"music." They'll still be playing Floyd and Zeppelin though.