You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species!!!

arts / rec.arts.books / Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"

SubjectAuthor
* Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"Michael Adler
`* Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"Jeffrey Rubard
 `- Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"Jeffrey Rubard

1
Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"

<4906be9f-85ee-446a-b238-c780f30f924bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1241&group=rec.arts.books#1241

Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 11:53:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"
From: michaela...@gmail.com (Michael Adler)
 by: Michael Adler - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 18:53 UTC

On Friday, April 4, 2008 at 1:40:18 AM UTC-4, Dan Clore wrote:
> I recently purchased a volume purporting to contain three novels by
> George MacDonald. They turned out to be "edited for today's reader". Out
> of curiosity, I checked a sample passage that caught my interest against
> the original text via Google Books. Here is the result:
> Thomas Wingfold, Curate
> pp. 226-27
> From a sad accident of his childhood, he had become acquainted with
> something of the influences of a certain baneful drug, to the use of
> which one of his attendants was addicted, and now at college, partly
> from curiosity, partly from a desire to undergo its effects, but chiefly
> in order to escape from ever-gnawing and passionate thought, he began to
> make _experiments_ in its use. Experiment called for repetition--in
> order to verification, said the fiend,--and repetition led first to a
> longing after its effects, and next to a mad appetite for the thing
> itself; so that, by the time of which my narrative treats, he was on the
> verge of absolute slavery to its use, and in imminent peril of having to
> pass the rest of his life in alternations of ecstasy and agony, divided
> by dull spaces of misery, the ecstasies growing rarer and rarer, and the
> agonies more and more frequent, intense and lasting; until at length the
> dethroned Apollo found himself chained to a pillar of his own ruined
> temple, which the sirocco was fast filling with desert sand.
> Retitled and "edited for today's reader":
> The Curate of Glaston
> pp. 60-61
> From a tragic accident of his childhood, he had become acquainted with
> the influences of a certain baneful drug, to which one of his Indian
> attendants was addicted. Now at college, partly from curiosity but
> chiefly to escape from gnawing and passionate thought about Emmeline, he
> began to experiment with it. Experiment called for repetition, and
> repetition led first to a longing after its effects, and next to a mad
> appetite for the thing itself. By the time of my narrative he was on the
> verge of absolute slavery to its use.
> *****
> I open the field for comment as to what this implies about "today's reader".
> --
> Dan Clore
> My collected fiction, _The Unspeakable and Others_:
> http://tinyurl.com/2gcoqt
> Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
> http://tinyurl.com/292yz9
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> "Tho-ag in Zhi-gyu slept seven Khorlo. Zodmanas
> zhiba. All Nyug bosom. Konch-hog not; Thyan-Kam
> not; Lha-Chohan not; Tenbrel Chugnyi not;
> Dharmakaya ceased; Tgenchang not become; Barnang
> and Ssa in Ngovonyidj; alone Tho-og Yinsin in
> night of Sun-chan and Yong-grub (Parinishpanna),
> &c., &c.,"
> -- The Book of Dzyan.

IF ANYONE HAS FOUND A WAY TO BLOCK SEARCHES TO BOOKS "Edited for the Modern Reader" . . . PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT! It is an outrageous consequence of living in an increasingly illiterate society!

Thank you!

Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"

<3edb9135-623d-4655-a3d1-97a2cf653960n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1261&group=rec.arts.books#1261

Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 00:08 UTC

This seems like "obscurantism".

Re: "Edited for the Modern Reader"

<5a10537d-6173-4341-ab49-2e141ee411can@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1271&group=rec.arts.books#1271

Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 12:22:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 19:22 UTC

"It's a trick, actually."
I guess?