History repeats itself only if one does not listen the first time.

arts / rec.arts.tv / [OT] Covid In Africa

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Covid In AfricaEd Stasiak
+- Re: [OT] Covid In Africachromebook test
+* Re: [OT] Covid In AfricamoviePig
|`- Re: [OT] Covid In Africachromebook test
`* Re: [OT] Covid In Africashawn
 `- Re: [OT] Covid In Africachromebook test

1
[OT] Covid In Africa

<3e86f242-cfed-4068-8d68-09d2bfaf8c14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125252&group=rec.arts.tv#125252

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:48:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [OT] Covid In Africa
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 02:48 UTC

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f
November 19, 2021

Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster

There is something “mysterious” going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. “Africa doesn’t have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better,” she said.

Fewer than 6% of people in Africa are vaccinated. For months, the WHO has described Africa as “one of the least affected regions in the world” in its weekly pandemic reports.

Some researchers say the continent’s younger population -- the average age is 20 versus about 43 in Western Europe — in addition to their lower rates of urbanization and tendency to spend time outdoors, may have spared it the more lethal effects of the virus so far. Several studies are probing whether there might be other explanations, including genetic reasons or past infection with parasitic diseases.

On Friday, researchers working in Uganda said they found COVID-19 patients with high rates of exposure to malaria were less likely to suffer severe disease or death than people with little history of the disease.

Achan said this may suggest that past infection with malaria could “blunt” the tendency of people’s immune systems to go into overdrive when they are infected with COVID-19.

WHO data show that deaths in Africa make up just 3% of the global total. In comparison, deaths in the Americas and Europe account for 46% and 29%.

In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, the government has recorded nearly 3,000 deaths so far among its 200 million population. The U.S. records that many deaths every two or three days.

Oyewale Tomori, a Nigerian virologist who sits on several WHO advisory groups, suggested Africa might not even need as many vaccines as the West.

The impact of the coronavirus has also been relatively muted beyond Africa in poor countries like Afghanistan, where experts predicted outbreaks amid ongoing conflict would prove disastrous.

Hashmat Arifi, a 23-year-old student in Kabul, said he hadn’t seen anyone wearing a mask in months, including at a recent wedding he attended alongside hundreds of guests. In his university classes, more than 20 students routinely sit unmasked in close quarters.

Re: [OT] Covid In Africa

<fe46a8a0-6e08-4ac8-92cd-4466f9a06531n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125338&group=rec.arts.tv#125338

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 04:33:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Covid In Africa
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:33 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 9:48:33 PM UTC-5, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f
> November 19, 2021
>
> Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster
>
> There is something “mysterious” going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. “Africa doesn’t have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better,” she said.
>
> Fewer than 6% of people in Africa are vaccinated. For months, the WHO has described Africa as “one of the least affected regions in the world” in its weekly pandemic reports.
>
> Some researchers say the continent’s younger population -- the average age is 20 versus about 43 in Western Europe — in addition to their lower rates of urbanization and tendency to spend time outdoors, may have spared it the more lethal effects of the virus so far. Several studies are probing whether there might be other explanations, including genetic reasons or past infection with parasitic diseases.
>
> On Friday, researchers working in Uganda said they found COVID-19 patients with high rates of exposure to malaria were less likely to suffer severe disease or death than people with little history of the disease.
>
> Achan said this may suggest that past infection with malaria could “blunt” the tendency of people’s immune systems to go into overdrive when they are infected with COVID-19.
>
> WHO data show that deaths in Africa make up just 3% of the global total. In comparison, deaths in the Americas and Europe account for 46% and 29%.
>
> In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, the government has recorded nearly 3,000 deaths so far among its 200 million population. The U.S.. records that many deaths every two or three days.
>
> Oyewale Tomori, a Nigerian virologist who sits on several WHO advisory groups, suggested Africa might not even need as many vaccines as the West.
>
> The impact of the coronavirus has also been relatively muted beyond Africa in poor countries like Afghanistan, where experts predicted outbreaks amid ongoing conflict would prove disastrous.
>
> Hashmat Arifi, a 23-year-old student in Kabul, said he hadn’t seen anyone wearing a mask in months, including at a recent wedding he attended alongside hundreds of guests. In his university classes, more than 20 students routinely sit unmasked in close quarters.

#naturalimmunity!

Re: [OT] Covid In Africa

<SbtmJ.91184$ya3.1184@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125361&group=rec.arts.tv#125361

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 10:02:09 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:02 UTC

On 11/20/2021 9:48 PM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f
> November 19, 2021
>
> Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster
>
> There is something “mysterious” going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. “Africa doesn’t have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better,” she said.
>
> Fewer than 6% of people in Africa are vaccinated. For months, the WHO has described Africa as “one of the least affected regions in the world” in its weekly pandemic reports.
>
> Some researchers say the continent’s younger population -- the average age is 20 versus about 43 in Western Europe — in addition to their lower rates of urbanization and tendency to spend time outdoors, may have spared it the more lethal effects of the virus so far. Several studies are probing whether there might be other explanations, including genetic reasons or past infection with parasitic diseases.
>
> On Friday, researchers working in Uganda said they found COVID-19 patients with high rates of exposure to malaria were less likely to suffer severe disease or death than people with little history of the disease.
>
> Achan said this may suggest that past infection with malaria could “blunt” the tendency of people’s immune systems to go into overdrive when they are infected with COVID-19.
>
> WHO data show that deaths in Africa make up just 3% of the global total. In comparison, deaths in the Americas and Europe account for 46% and 29%.
>
> In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, the government has recorded nearly 3,000 deaths so far among its 200 million population. The U.S. records that many deaths every two or three days.
>
> Oyewale Tomori, a Nigerian virologist who sits on several WHO advisory groups, suggested Africa might not even need as many vaccines as the West.
>
> The impact of the coronavirus has also been relatively muted beyond Africa in poor countries like Afghanistan, where experts predicted outbreaks amid ongoing conflict would prove disastrous.
>
> Hashmat Arifi, a 23-year-old student in Kabul, said he hadn’t seen anyone wearing a mask in months, including at a recent wedding he attended alongside hundreds of guests. In his university classes, more than 20 students routinely sit unmasked in close quarters.

Wow, an interesting article on Covid. I can hardly wait to see how
it'll be turned into political flaming...

Re: [OT] Covid In Africa

<82fd4749-0eba-4b10-9cf7-4bafc84ba612n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125365&group=rec.arts.tv#125365

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 07:25:12 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:25 UTC

On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 10:02:15 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/20/2021 9:48 PM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> > https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f
> > November 19, 2021
> >
> > Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster
> >
> > There is something “mysterious” going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. “Africa doesn’t have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better,” she said.
> >
> > Fewer than 6% of people in Africa are vaccinated. For months, the WHO has described Africa as “one of the least affected regions in the world” in its weekly pandemic reports.
> >
> > Some researchers say the continent’s younger population -- the average age is 20 versus about 43 in Western Europe — in addition to their lower rates of urbanization and tendency to spend time outdoors, may have spared it the more lethal effects of the virus so far. Several studies are probing whether there might be other explanations, including genetic reasons or past infection with parasitic diseases.
> >
> > On Friday, researchers working in Uganda said they found COVID-19 patients with high rates of exposure to malaria were less likely to suffer severe disease or death than people with little history of the disease.
> >
> > Achan said this may suggest that past infection with malaria could “blunt” the tendency of people’s immune systems to go into overdrive when they are infected with COVID-19.
> >
> > WHO data show that deaths in Africa make up just 3% of the global total.. In comparison, deaths in the Americas and Europe account for 46% and 29%.
> >
> > In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, the government has recorded nearly 3,000 deaths so far among its 200 million population. The U..S. records that many deaths every two or three days.
> >
> > Oyewale Tomori, a Nigerian virologist who sits on several WHO advisory groups, suggested Africa might not even need as many vaccines as the West.
> >
> > The impact of the coronavirus has also been relatively muted beyond Africa in poor countries like Afghanistan, where experts predicted outbreaks amid ongoing conflict would prove disastrous.
> >
> > Hashmat Arifi, a 23-year-old student in Kabul, said he hadn’t seen anyone wearing a mask in months, including at a recent wedding he attended alongside hundreds of guests. In his university classes, more than 20 students routinely sit unmasked in close quarters.

> Wow, an interesting article on Covid. I can hardly wait to see how
> it'll be turned into political flaming...

mime predicts the left and the right will begin spear chucking

------------

Welcome to the jungle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Bq69HfR0Y

Re: [OT] Covid In Africa

<32vkpghl859ip6dhransa27qqi4m2506gp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125394&group=rec.arts.tv#125394

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:06:02 -0500
 by: shawn - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:06 UTC

On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:48:30 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
<edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f
>November 19, 2021
>
>Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster
>
>There is something “mysterious” going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. “Africa doesn’t have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better,” she said.
>
>Fewer than 6% of people in Africa are vaccinated. For months, the WHO has described Africa as “one of the least affected regions in the world” in its weekly pandemic reports.
>
>Some researchers say the continent’s younger population -- the average age is 20 versus about 43 in Western Europe — in addition to their lower rates of urbanization and tendency to spend time outdoors, may have spared it the more lethal effects of the virus so far. Several studies are probing whether there might be other
explanations, including genetic reasons or past infection with parasitic diseases.

>On Friday, researchers working in Uganda said they found COVID-19 patients with high rates of exposure to malaria were less likely to suffer severe disease or death than people with little history of the disease.
>
>Achan said this may suggest that past infection with malaria could “blunt” the tendency of people’s immune systems to go into overdrive when they are infected with COVID-19.

So when can we expect to hear the latest craze is to give yourself
malaria to help protect yourself from COVID-19?

Re: [OT] Covid In Africa

<64cc7f9e-3c23-4cec-ba61-0e28aba79180n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125398&group=rec.arts.tv#125398

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:19:52 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:19 UTC

On Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 12:06:06 PM UTC-5, shawn wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:48:30 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
> <edstas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f
> >November 19, 2021
> >
> >Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster
> >
> >There is something “mysterious” going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. “Africa doesn’t have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better,” she said.
> >
> >Fewer than 6% of people in Africa are vaccinated. For months, the WHO has described Africa as “one of the least affected regions in the world” in its weekly pandemic reports.
> >
> >Some researchers say the continent’s younger population -- the average age is 20 versus about 43 in Western Europe — in addition to their lower rates of urbanization and tendency to spend time outdoors, may have spared it the more lethal effects of the virus so far. Several studies are probing whether there might be other
> explanations, including genetic reasons or past infection with parasitic diseases.
> >
> >On Friday, researchers working in Uganda said they found COVID-19 patients with high rates of exposure to malaria were less likely to suffer severe disease or death than people with little history of the disease.
> >
> >Achan said this may suggest that past infection with malaria could “blunt” the tendency of people’s immune systems to go into overdrive when they are infected with COVID-19.
> >

> So when can we expect to hear the latest craze is to give yourself
> malaria to help protect yourself from COVID-19?

shawn chucks out the first spear!

Let the games begin !