It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech. -- Mark Twain

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

SubjectAuthor
* Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.RichA
`* Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.moviePig
 +* Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.The Horny Goat
 |+* Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.moviePig
 ||+* Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.The Horny Goat
 |||`* Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.moviePig
 ||| `* Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.The Horny Goat
 |||  `- Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.Your Name
 ||`- Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.RichA
 |`* Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.Rhino
 | `- Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.moviePig
 `- Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.RichA

1
Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<b6138d62-0215-4c8b-a6b1-363a4ebf5e7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125311&group=rec.arts.tv#125311

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 01:00:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:00 UTC

The percentage of those infected ending up in hospitals or dying is
much lower than before, in some cases less than 0.5% death rates versus over 4% at the height of the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<B1tmJ.55224$VS2.26539@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125358&group=rec.arts.tv#125358

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 14:51 UTC

On 11/21/2021 4:00 AM, RichA wrote:
> The percentage of those infected ending up in hospitals or dying is
> much lower than before, in some cases less than 0.5% death rates versus over 4% at the height of the pandemic.
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256

1. Treatments are more knowledgable.

2. The herd has been thinned.

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<vi0lpghb9reos6erja129388poja5cmk8k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125400&group=rec.arts.tv#125400

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:35:18 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:35 UTC

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 11/21/2021 4:00 AM, RichA wrote:
>> The percentage of those infected ending up in hospitals or dying is
>> much lower than before, in some cases less than 0.5% death rates versus over 4% at the height of the pandemic.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256
>
>1. Treatments are more knowledgable.
>
>2. The herd has been thinned.

As the father of someone who survived COVID (caught after double
vaccination) I find that second point unbelievably offensive.

She credits her survival with her grabbing the opportunity to get her
second shot immediately rather than two weeks later when she was first
scheduled to get it. By the time she was supposed to get it she had
been diagnosed.

Since then she has made two long international flights and generally
gotten on with her life including work.

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<D4wmJ.55228$VS2.44744@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125407&group=rec.arts.tv#125407

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 13:19:14 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 18:19 UTC

On 11/21/2021 12:35 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/2021 4:00 AM, RichA wrote:
>>> The percentage of those infected ending up in hospitals or dying is
>>> much lower than before, in some cases less than 0.5% death rates versus over 4% at the height of the pandemic.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256
>>
>> 1. Treatments are more knowledgable.
>>
>> 2. The herd has been thinned.
>
> As the father of someone who survived COVID (caught after double
> vaccination) I find that second point unbelievably offensive.
>
> She credits her survival with her grabbing the opportunity to get her
> second shot immediately rather than two weeks later when she was first
> scheduled to get it. By the time she was supposed to get it she had
> been diagnosed.
>
> Since then she has made two long international flights and generally
> gotten on with her life including work.

Not intended to be offensive. Afaik, "thinning the herd" has long been
an apt, non-malicious metaphor for aspects of the Covid pandemic
(...which, btw, "thinned" someone quite important to me).

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<q6alpgp2v03dctud4quq8okbjk6qu3v17k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125443&group=rec.arts.tv#125443

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:19:35 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 20:19 UTC

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 13:19:14 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 11/21/2021 12:35 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 1. Treatments are more knowledgable.
>>>
>>> 2. The herd has been thinned.
>>
>> As the father of someone who survived COVID (caught after double
>> vaccination) I find that second point unbelievably offensive.
>>
>> She credits her survival with her grabbing the opportunity to get her
>> second shot immediately rather than two weeks later when she was first
>> scheduled to get it. By the time she was supposed to get it she had
>> been diagnosed.
>>
>> Since then she has made two long international flights and generally
>> gotten on with her life including work.
>
>Not intended to be offensive. Afaik, "thinning the herd" has long been
>an apt, non-malicious metaphor for aspects of the Covid pandemic
>(...which, btw, "thinned" someone quite important to me).

Oh I definitely know the term - it's a bit different when it's applied
to one's own daughter.

I'm mostly wanting to make sure that sometime in the next 2-3 years
she actually marries her live-in boyfriend as to me he encompasses a
lot of the traits I like about myself and few of the traits I dislike
about myself and do think he supports the areas where she needs
support. She's been living in England since 2014 and now has dual
status as a Brit so I am resigned to the fact that if she has kids my
grandchildren are going to talk funny

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<doymJ.42756$IB7.19372@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125462&group=rec.arts.tv#125462

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:56:40 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 20:56 UTC

On 11/21/2021 3:19 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 13:19:14 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/2021 12:35 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:

>>> As the father of someone who survived COVID (caught after double
>>> vaccination) I find that second point unbelievably offensive.
>>>
>>> She credits her survival with her grabbing the opportunity to get her
>>> second shot immediately rather than two weeks later when she was first
>>> scheduled to get it. By the time she was supposed to get it she had
>>> been diagnosed.
>>>
>>> Since then she has made two long international flights and generally
>>> gotten on with her life including work.
>>
>> Not intended to be offensive. Afaik, "thinning the herd" has long been
>> an apt, non-malicious metaphor for aspects of the Covid pandemic
>> (...which, btw, "thinned" someone quite important to me).
>
> Oh I definitely know the term - it's a bit different when it's applied
> to one's own daughter.
>
> I'm mostly wanting to make sure that sometime in the next 2-3 years
> she actually marries her live-in boyfriend as to me he encompasses a
> lot of the traits I like about myself and few of the traits I dislike
> about myself and do think he supports the areas where she needs
> support. She's been living in England since 2014 and now has dual
> status as a Brit so I am resigned to the fact that if she has kids my
> grandchildren are going to talk funny

Hate to tell you, but... unless you raise them in straitjackets,
grandchildren *always* talk funny.

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<sned01$v2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125468&group=rec.arts.tv#125468

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 16:16:47 -0500
 by: Rhino - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 21:16 UTC

On 2021-11-21 12:35 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/21/2021 4:00 AM, RichA wrote:
>>> The percentage of those infected ending up in hospitals or dying is
>>> much lower than before, in some cases less than 0.5% death rates versus over 4% at the height of the pandemic.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256
>>
>> 1. Treatments are more knowledgable.
>>
>> 2. The herd has been thinned.
>
> As the father of someone who survived COVID (caught after double
> vaccination) I find that second point unbelievably offensive.
>
> She credits her survival with her grabbing the opportunity to get her
> second shot immediately rather than two weeks later when she was first
> scheduled to get it. By the time she was supposed to get it she had
> been diagnosed.
>
> Since then she has made two long international flights and generally
> gotten on with her life including work.
> Going back to the original point of the thread, I read recently that
COVID cases and deaths are unexpectedly low in Africa. Even though
vaccines are scarce there, medical infrastructure is typically poor, and
poverty still widespread, actual COVID infections and deaths are much
lower than anyone expected. The experts have speculated on why that is
and have several theories but none have actually been proven.

I was going to provide a link but I'm having trouble finding the story now.

--
Rhino

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<CEzmJ.116738$IW4.105724@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125531&group=rec.arts.tv#125531

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:22:25 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 22:22 UTC

On 11/21/2021 4:16 PM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2021-11-21 12:35 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 1. Treatments are more knowledgable.
>>>
>>> 2. The herd has been thinned.
>>
>> As the father of someone who survived COVID (caught after double
>> vaccination) I find that second point unbelievably offensive.
>>
>> She credits her survival with her grabbing the opportunity to get her
>> second shot immediately rather than two weeks later when she was first
>> scheduled to get it. By the time she was supposed to get it she had
>> been diagnosed.
>>
>> Since then she has made two long international flights and generally
>> gotten on with her life including work.
>> Going back to the original point of the thread, I read recently that
> COVID cases and deaths are unexpectedly low in Africa. Even though
> vaccines are scarce there, medical infrastructure is typically poor, and
> poverty still widespread, actual COVID infections and deaths are much
> lower than anyone expected. The experts have speculated on why that is
> and have several theories but none have actually been proven.
>
> I was going to provide a link but I'm having trouble finding the story now.

You might want to look for the thread titled 'COVID in Africa'
(...unless, of course, you've got all the participants killfiled).

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<60f86a08-d07e-4b3f-8791-6c9418bb2d5bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125550&group=rec.arts.tv#125550

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:20:52 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:20 UTC

On Sunday, 21 November 2021 at 09:51:19 UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/21/2021 4:00 AM, RichA wrote:
> > The percentage of those infected ending up in hospitals or dying is
> > much lower than before, in some cases less than 0.5% death rates versus over 4% at the height of the pandemic.
> >
> > https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256
> 1. Treatments are more knowledgable.
>
> 2. The herd has been thinned.

Right! So why the B.S. return to "lock-downs?"

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<d0949c2b-b4a0-4b8c-9af3-d66b19f066fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125553&group=rec.arts.tv#125553

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:26:00 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:26 UTC

On Sunday, 21 November 2021 at 13:19:19 UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/21/2021 12:35 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0500, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
> > wrote:

> >> 1. Treatments are more knowledgable.
> >>
> >> 2. The herd has been thinned.
> >
> > As the father of someone who survived COVID (caught after double
> > vaccination) I find that second point unbelievably offensive.
> >
> > She credits her survival with her grabbing the opportunity to get her
> > second shot immediately rather than two weeks later when she was first
> > scheduled to get it. By the time she was supposed to get it she had
> > been diagnosed.
> >
> > Since then she has made two long international flights and generally
> > gotten on with her life including work.
> Not intended to be offensive. Afaik, "thinning the herd" has long been
> an apt, non-malicious metaphor for aspects of the Covid pandemic
> (...which, btw, "thinned" someone quite important to me).

Why sugar-coat it? Covid kills people which chronic medical problems. Had it been allowed
to run its course (no lock-downs, no vaccines) it would have killed a lot more people. Had that
happened, we would not have incurred the astronomical costs associated with the lock-downs, we
would have avoided much of the supply-chain issues we see, we would have saved the hundreds of billions of
$$$ the people with chronic medical conditions cost the STATE in the long-term anyway.

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<tdtlpg9gdmainvqd4bg76dtbhe0vu8j5pm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125599&group=rec.arts.tv#125599

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:45:03 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:45 UTC

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:56:40 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>> I'm mostly wanting to make sure that sometime in the next 2-3 years
>> she actually marries her live-in boyfriend as to me he encompasses a
>> lot of the traits I like about myself and few of the traits I dislike
>> about myself and do think he supports the areas where she needs
>> support. She's been living in England since 2014 and now has dual
>> status as a Brit so I am resigned to the fact that if she has kids my
>> grandchildren are going to talk funny
>
>Hate to tell you, but... unless you raise them in straitjackets,
>grandchildren *always* talk funny.

Yes but when you live on the west coast of Canada and your daughter
and her beau live in London, England that's a different grade of
'talking funny'

About 2 years ago I and the kids pooled our money to get the missus an
iPad for her birthday and I'm discouraged she seldom uses it for
anything but Facetiming with England...

Re: Covid rises in Europe, but DEATH RATES far below 1 year ago.

<snf8vr$16ja$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125631&group=rec.arts.tv#125631

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:14:35 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 05:14 UTC

On 2021-11-22 01:45:03 +0000, The Horny Goat said:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:56:40 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm mostly wanting to make sure that sometime in the next 2-3 years
>>> she actually marries her live-in boyfriend as to me he encompasses a
>>> lot of the traits I like about myself and few of the traits I dislike
>>> about myself and do think he supports the areas where she needs
>>> support. She's been living in England since 2014 and now has dual
>>> status as a Brit so I am resigned to the fact that if she has kids my
>>> grandchildren are going to talk funny
>>
>> Hate to tell you, but... unless you raise them in straitjackets,
>> grandchildren *always* talk funny.
>
> Yes but when you live on the west coast of Canada and your daughter
> and her beau live in London, England that's a different grade of
> 'talking funny'

Despite being a fairly small landsize, England (not even including the
rest of the UK or immigrants) has a wide range of accents. Watching the
TV quiz shows where contestants come from all over the UK shows that.
:-)

> About 2 years ago I and the kids pooled our money to get the missus an
> iPad for her birthday and I'm discouraged she seldom uses it for
> anything but Facetiming with England...

My mother uses her gifted iPad Pro for email, simple web browsing, and
playing Solitaire - that's all. She uses her Samsung smartphone mostly
for messaging vai various apps with different people.