Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: START TV
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 09:24:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:24 UTC

We picked up a new channel over the weekend which I found out about because
the Alicia Witt hook picked up an absolutely terrible show called
Nashville.

It seems to be entirely “reruns of crappy old shows with female
protagonists”

To that end it features genuinely offensive programming such as:
(BAD) TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
GHOST WHISPERER
MEDIUM
RIZZOLI‘S ISLES
IN PLAIN SIGHT (At least in the later seasons)
NASHVILLE

I’ll definitely be avoiding this. Also I need to tell the magic DVR to
never record Nashville again. I’m not sure what will happen when I do that
since it’s just looking for things with Alicia Witt in them. Either it’s
smart enough to know to avoid the subset of Nashville or it will completely
kill my Witt hook, which at this point I’m willing to risk.

Re: START TV

<snghm5$3cu$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125694&group=rec.arts.tv#125694

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: START TV
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:49:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:49 UTC

In <1090445689.659290607.460149.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:

[snip... regarding Start TV]

>To that end it features genuinely offensive programming such as:
>(BAD) TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
>GHOST WHISPERER
>MEDIUM
>RIZZOLI and ISLES
>IN PLAIN SIGHT (At least in the later seasons)
>NASHVILLE

>I'll definitely be avoiding this. Also I need to tell the magic DVR to
>never record Nashville again.

Re: R&I. Last week they had an episode where ADA Carmichael
was stalked by one of those ever present psycho types.

That short scene of her tied spread eagle on his bed
made up for plenty of wasted hours.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: START TV

<sngj7p$u2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125697&group=rec.arts.tv#125697

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:15:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:15 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>We picked up a new channel over the weekend which I found out about because
>the Alicia Witt hook picked up an absolutely terrible show called
>Nashville.

>It seems to be entirely "reruns of crappy old shows with female
>protagonists"

That's exactly what it is. It's three years old. Weigel broadcasting is
airing police procedurals from the '80s and later, and a few other
dramas. It all stars women. It's anything not currently in second run
syndication on a satellite channel although I have no idea if they have
contractually exclusive national syndication rights.

4:3 programming on Weigel is typically in the wrong aspect ratio too.

It's broadcast on digital subchannels of Weigel's licenses and CBS
affiliates and some others.

>To that end it features genuinely offensive programming such as:
>(BAD) TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
>GHOST WHISPERER
>MEDIUM
>RIZZOLI'S ISLES
>IN PLAIN SIGHT (At least in the later seasons)
>NASHVILLE

>I'll definitely be avoiding this. Also I need to tell the magic DVR to
>never record Nashville again. I'm not sure what will happen when I do that
>since it's just looking for things with Alicia Witt in them. Either it's
>smart enough to know to avoid the subset of Nashville or it will completely
>kill my Witt hook, which at this point I'm willing to risk.

You don't know about Nashville? It was created by Callie Khouri and had
something to do with it for the first few seasons. You know who she is:
Thelma & Louise screenwriter.

ABC aired it in 2012-13, then forced a change of showrunners for season 2 but
cancelled it anyway. CMT picked it up for seasons 2-6.

Re: START TV

<sngj9g$u2f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125698&group=rec.arts.tv#125698

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:16:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:16 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>Re: R&I. Last week they had an episode where ADA Carmichael
>was stalked by one of those ever present psycho types.

>That short scene of her tied spread eagle on his bed
>made up for plenty of wasted hours.

Hehehehe

Re: START TV

<45764903.659298577.860250.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125709&group=rec.arts.tv#125709

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:32:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:32 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> In <1090445689.659290607.460149.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:
>
> [snip... regarding Start TV]
>
>> To that end it features genuinely offensive programming such as:
>> (BAD) TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
>> GHOST WHISPERER
>> MEDIUM
>> RIZZOLI and ISLES
>> IN PLAIN SIGHT (At least in the later seasons)
>> NASHVILLE
>
>> I'll definitely be avoiding this. Also I need to tell the magic DVR to
>> never record Nashville again.
>
> Re: R&I. Last week they had an episode where ADA Carmichael
> was stalked by one of those ever present psycho types.
>
> That short scene of her tied spread eagle on his bed
> made up for plenty of wasted hours.

Yowsers!

I recall liking that show until the horrible mother showed up.

I still vastly prefer WOMEN’S MURDER CLUB though.

Re: START TV

<371579095.659298689.601755.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125710&group=rec.arts.tv#125710

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:38:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:38 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> We picked up a new channel over the weekend which I found out about because
>> the Alicia Witt hook picked up an absolutely terrible show called
>> Nashville.
>
>> It seems to be entirely "reruns of crappy old shows with female
>> protagonists"
>
> That's exactly what it is. It's three years old. Weigel broadcasting is
> airing police procedurals from the '80s and later, and a few other
> dramas. It all stars women. It's anything not currently in second run
> syndication on a satellite channel although I have no idea if they have
> contractually exclusive national syndication rights.
>
> 4:3 programming on Weigel is typically in the wrong aspect ratio too.

Gah

> It's broadcast on digital subchannels of Weigel's licenses and CBS
> affiliates and some others.

Yeah it looks like Cox is picking it up off of some channel. I don’t know
if it replaced something else or if it had just been hidden to me until now
or what.

>> To that end it features genuinely offensive programming such as:
>> (BAD) TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
>> GHOST WHISPERER
>> MEDIUM
>> RIZZOLI’S ISLES
>> IN PLAIN SIGHT (At least in the later seasons)
>> NASHVILLE
>
>> I'll definitely be avoiding this. Also I need to tell the magic DVR to
>> never record Nashville again. I'm not sure what will happen when I do that
>> since it's just looking for things with Alicia Witt in them. Either it's
>> smart enough to know to avoid the subset of Nashville or it will completely
>> kill my Witt hook, which at this point I'm willing to risk.
>
> You don't know about Nashville?

No, but Connie Britton makes me wistful for Jennifer Esposito back when she
had black hair.

It was created by Callie Khouri and had
> something to do with it for the first few seasons. You know who she is:
> Thelma & Louise screenwriter

Ick

> ABC aired it in 2012-13, then forced a change of showrunners for season 2 but
> cancelled it anyway. CMT picked it up for seasons 2-6.

Thanks. I’d never heard of it. They dumped me into the middle of season
four. Bad soap opera with people doing bad twangy accents. With bad twangy
musical interludes.

As near as I can tell the magic DVR was smart enough to modify its command
to “record anything with Alicia Witt in it unless it’s that horrible
Nashville show and then terminate it with prejudice”

I won’t know for sure until the occasion actually arises though.

Re: START TV

<hlabadie-3A2FF6.20160822112021@aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125779&group=rec.arts.tv#125779

From: hlaba...@nospam.com (Horace LaBadie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 20:16:08 -0500
 by: Horace LaBadie - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 01:16 UTC

In article
<45764903.659298577.860250.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> > In <1090445689.659290607.460149.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:
> >
> > [snip... regarding Start TV]
> >
> >> To that end it features genuinely offensive programming such as:
> >> (BAD) TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL
> >> GHOST WHISPERER
> >> MEDIUM
> >> RIZZOLI and ISLES
> >> IN PLAIN SIGHT (At least in the later seasons)
> >> NASHVILLE
> >
> >> I'll definitely be avoiding this. Also I need to tell the magic DVR to
> >> never record Nashville again.
> >
> > Re: R&I. Last week they had an episode where ADA Carmichael
> > was stalked by one of those ever present psycho types.
> >
> > That short scene of her tied spread eagle on his bed
> > made up for plenty of wasted hours.
>
> Yowsers!
>
> I recall liking that show until the horrible mother showed up.

That would be the first episode, then.

It was okay until they botched dealing with Lee Thompson Young's
suicide by pretending Det. Frost was "on vacation" for two episodes.

> I still vastly prefer WOMEN’S MURDER CLUB though.
>
> —
> “The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it’s still on my list.”

Re: START TV

<snhlhp$gjo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125794&group=rec.arts.tv#125794

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 03:01:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 03:01 UTC

Horace LaBadie <hlabadie@nospam.com> wrote:
>In article
><45764903.659298577.860250.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>> > In <1090445689.659290607.460149.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
>> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:
>> >
>> > [snip... regarding Start TV]

>> > Re: R&I. Last week they had an episode where ADA Carmichael
>> > was stalked by one of those ever present psycho types.
>> >
>> > That short scene of her tied spread eagle on his bed
>> > made up for plenty of wasted hours.
>>
>> Yowsers!
>>
>> I recall liking that show until the horrible mother showed up.
>
>That would be the first episode, then.
>
>It was okay until they botched dealing with Lee Thompson Young's
>suicide by pretending Det. Frost was "on vacation" for two episodes.

I forgot about that. Isn't the reason that the two episodes were already
in production and he hadn't finished his scenes?

It would be a lot classier if the producer or star just reads a brief
note addressing the audience that they offer condolenses to the family.
Episodes are just going to be awkward for a couple of weeks.