Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:15:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The Jimmy Kimmel Kids plan to pay off the national debt
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:15 UTC

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 12:01:50 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Previously on, "The Plan"
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073802/characters/nm0731772
>
> "Fact is, there was nothing wrong with the plan. The plan was all right. The plan would've worked."

> And now ... THE PLAN

Jimmy Kimmel apologizes for ‘killing everyone in China’ skit

> https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/showbiz/jimmy-kimmel-china-apology/index.html

HONG KONG/NEW YORK (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase Chief Executive Jamie Dimon said on Wednesday he regretted his remarks that the Wall Street bank would last longer than China's Communist Party, moving quickly to avoid any longer-term fall out.

Dimon's comments had risked jeopardizing JPMorgan's growth ambitions in China where it won regulatory approval in August to become the first full foreign owner of a securities brokerage in the country. Academics said his quick apology would have been made to ensure no serious damage was done.

"I regret and should not have made that comment. I was trying to emphasize the strength and longevity of our company," Dimon said in a statement issued by the bank.

In a later statement, Dimon said: "I regret my recent comment because it's never right to joke about or denigrate any group of people, whether it's a country, its leadership, or any part of a society and culture. Speaking in that way can take away from constructive and thoughtful dialogue in society, which is needed now more than ever."

Speaking at a Boston College series of CEO interviews on Tuesday, Dimon said: "I made a joke the other day that the Communist Party is celebrating its 100th year - so is JPMorgan. I'd make a bet that we last longer."

"I can't say that in China. They are probably listening anyway," he added.

Beijing's approval for JPMorgan to take full ownership of its securities business had been seen as a milestone in the opening up of China's capital markets after years of gradual moves and pressure from Washington.

Beijing sees the involvement of foreign banks as important for China's domestic financial development, academics say. However, they add, Western companies doing business in China still need to tread carefully.

"Dimon's apology shows the degree of deference foreign businesses have to show to the Chinese government in order to remain in its good graces and maintain access to the country’s markets," said Eswar Prasad, a professor at Cornell University.

Dimon's comments sparked reaction from commentators in China.

JPMorgan's Dimon says he regrets China Communist Party comment
Scott Murdoch and Matt Scuffham November 24, 2021
https://news.yahoo.com/jamie-dimon-walks-back-china-132318241.html

Re: The Jimmy Kimmel Kids plan to pay off the national debt

<iictpg1sjtqnvmhl0ufg74turo09oq8a2g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126180&group=rec.arts.tv#126180

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:50:08 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:50 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:15:38 -0800 (PST), chromebook test
<chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:

>HONG KONG/NEW YORK (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase Chief Executive Jamie Dimon s=
>aid on Wednesday he regretted his remarks that the Wall Street bank would l=
>ast longer than China's Communist Party, moving quickly to avoid any longer=
>-term fall out.

With all due respect, particularly with the prevalence of mergers in
the banking industry what percentage of the major banks pre-date 1949?
Or even 1921 when the Chinese Communist Party was founded?

A >minimum< of half I suspect (I would expect the number to be in the
70-80% range) and that would be true of most major banks in both the
US, UK, Canada and EU.

Yes it was a lame joke. No it is not a 'necktie party' offence.