From: lia...@valentijn.nu (Wouter Valentijn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: Ticking Nukes And Nightmare In Silver
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 09:19:16 +0100
 by: Wouter Valentijn - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 08:19 UTC

Op 10-11-2022 om 22:42 schreef tsbr...@gmail.com:
> How Chris Everett at Quora would have dealt with a ticking nuke as of 6 years ago:
>
> What should you do if you find a ticking nuke with only a few minutes left on the clock?
> Smash the ever living shit out of it with anything you have.
>
> If possible, I'd avoid the timer mechanism, and attack the core itself. If it's an implosion device (most are) it's going to have a core surrounded with a bunch of shaped pieces of high explosives, more or less like a soccer ball. Cut the wires going to as many of those segments as possible. While it's possible that you might detonate one when you cut the wire, this will prevent a nuclear explosion. You will die, but you'll have a high school named after you, at least. I'd cut as many as possible, and then try and get some distance away.
>
> If you can't get access to the core, attack the closest point you can.
>
> IMHO, the Cybermen should have done the above to the planet busting bomb at the end of Nightmare in Silver.
>
> 47.9K views
> View 784 upvotes

What makes you think that would have worked?

--
Wouter Valentijn

Kirk: "No beach to walk on..."
Star Trek (s01e07): The Naked Time

http://www.nksf.nl/

liam=mail

Re: Ticking Nukes And Nightmare In Silver

<jta8n2F134nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=12817&group=rec.arts.drwho#12817

From: lia...@valentijn.nu (Wouter Valentijn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 19:58:41 +0100
 by: Wouter Valentijn - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 18:58 UTC

Op 12-11-2022 om 10:07 schreef tsbr...@gmail.com:
> On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 12:19:19 AM UTC-8, Wouter Valentijn wrote:
>> Op 10-11-2022 om 22:42 schreef tsbr...@gmail.com:
>>> How Chris Everett at Quora would have dealt with a ticking nuke as of 6 years ago:
>>>
>>> What should you do if you find a ticking nuke with only a few minutes left on the clock?
>>> Smash the ever living shit out of it with anything you have.
>>>
>>> If possible, I'd avoid the timer mechanism, and attack the core itself. If it's an implosion device (most are) it's going to have a core surrounded with a bunch of shaped pieces of high explosives, more or less like a soccer ball. Cut the wires going to as many of those segments as possible. While it's possible that you might detonate one when you cut the wire, this will prevent a nuclear explosion. You will die, but you'll have a high school named after you, at least. I'd cut as many as possible, and then try and get some distance away.
>>>
>>> If you can't get access to the core, attack the closest point you can.
>>>
>>> IMHO, the Cybermen should have done the above to the planet busting bomb at the end of Nightmare in Silver.
>>>
>>> 47.9K views
>>> View 784 upvotes
>> What makes you think that would have worked?
>
> If you didn't have time to call in the Bomb Squad, and you weren't a bomb expert yourself, you would have nothing to lose by trying Chris' suggestion. After all, the bomb is already close to exploding, so you might as well try a Hail Mary.

Which pretty much sounds like an emotional response.

--
Wouter Valentijn

Kirk: "No beach to walk on..."
Star Trek (s01e07): The Naked Time

http://www.nksf.nl/

liam=mail

Re: Ticking Nukes And Nightmare In Silver

<jtbtsaF8pbmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=12844&group=rec.arts.drwho#12844

From: lia...@valentijn.nu (Wouter Valentijn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:06:01 +0100
 by: Wouter Valentijn - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 10:06 UTC

Op 13-11-2022 om 00:51 schreef tsbr...@gmail.com:
> On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 10:58:46 AM UTC-8, Wouter Valentijn wrote:

>>> If you didn't have time to call in the Bomb Squad, and you weren't a bomb expert yourself, you would have nothing to lose by trying Chris' suggestion. After all, the bomb is already close to exploding, so you might as well try a Hail Mary.
>> Which pretty much sounds like an emotional response.
>
> What would a Vulcan do?

You are thinking about the episode "The Galileo 7"?

Vulcans try to master their emotions, they do not lack in that
department. Unless they go all kolinahr.
BTW, I consider Spock's action to be highly logical.

Cybermen have ALL emotions removed from them. They probably figured that
such an action would yield zero result.