We have lingered long enough on the shores of the Cosmic Ocean. -- Carl Sagan

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)Micky DuPree
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)BTR1701
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<UBI20211121@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125646&group=rec.arts.tv#125646

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 09:30 UTC

I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

RIPTIDE:
I watched this off and on today as the Decades Binge this weekend.
I remember liking it better when it first aired.
Hey, it's the daughter from Forbidden Planet living with a boat filled
with fabulous babes next door!

DARK SHADOWS:
(1242) Morgan lures Bramwell to the locked room at Collinwood and locks him
inside.

DARK SHADOWS:
(1243) Morgan decides to also take revenge on Catherine for her
unfaithfulness by locking her in the room with Bramwell.

LIFE, LIBERTY, & LEVIN:
Mark sits down with former President Donald Trump to discuss his life and
legacy. (Pre-empted)

FAMILY GUY:
"The Birthday Bootlegger". A new boss quells Peter's favorite part about
work: office birthdays. Stewie's stay in detention changhes him.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<sng7q0$ir1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125662&group=rec.arts.tv#125662

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 06:00:31 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 14:00 UTC

On 2021-11-22 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Family still in town, so just:

football - Saw various games yesterday: Minnesota vs. Green Bay, Dallas
vs. Kansas City, and some of Cinci vs. Las Vegas, and Pittsburgh vs.
the Chargers.
This is ironic, as I'm basically not watching the NFL otherwise this year...

Then, I had the following on in the background when I got home:

Kiss Before Christmas - James Denton gets "Eve Christmas"/"It's a
Wonderful Life"-d. This didn't seem too bad - Teri Hatcher actually
seemed to be putting in a "performance".

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<sngkfu$gdr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125703&group=rec.arts.tv#125703

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 09:36:59 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:36 UTC

On 11/22/2021 6:00 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2021-11-22 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Family still in town, so just:
>
> football - Saw various games yesterday: Minnesota vs. Green Bay, Dallas
> vs. Kansas City, and some of Cinci vs. Las Vegas, and Pittsburgh vs. the
> Chargers.
>   This is ironic, as I'm basically not watching the NFL otherwise this
> year...

The only football I care about is Cal beating Stanford. Not that I
watched, but I care.

> Then, I had the following on in the background when I got home:
>
> Kiss Before Christmas - James Denton gets "Eve Christmas"/"It's a
> Wonderful Life"-d. This didn't seem too bad - Teri Hatcher actually
> seemed to be putting in a "performance".

I watched:

2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (HBO) - It was 3 hours
long, but a pretty good show.

Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount+) - "Simply Murder" - I forgot to mention
it when I watched the first two episodes. Episode 3 deals with a
manhunt for a meth head who caused the death of a young child. The
police are determined that he die in custody and go to Hawkeye to use
his inmate connections to make sure that happens. They all ignore his
constant warnings that the cops would then be in debt to the prisoners.

Star Trek: Prodigy (Paramount+) - "Terror Firma" - I completely forgot
about Prodigy. That's the problem with streaming, if it's not sitting
on my DVR I'm likely to forget about it. Anyway picking up where last
week ended everyone is forced to team up to escape the "murder planet."
Gwynala also gets a first hand look at her father's priorities when he
arrives on the planet to recover the USS Protostar (which we learn is
powered by an actual protostar) and has to decide between saving her and
the ship, and chooses the ship.

Doom Patrol (HBOMax) - "Dead Patrol" - Picking up where episode 2 ended,
the dismembered bodies of the Patrol are shipped back to the mansion
where Larry reassembles the corpses and bandages them up. Dorothy also
returns (she was apparently burying her father last episode) and the two
of them call in the Dead Boy Detectives agency (cough, possible spin
off, cough) to go into the afterlife and bring back the Patrol's souls.
So when your soul is put back into your rotting corpse, does the
corpse suddenly get all better? I guess it does.

Big Sky - "Heart-shaped Charm" - Some stuff happening involving a man
wearing a dog's shock collar.

Doctor Who (BBCA) - "Village of the Angels" - A Weeping Angels episode,
and a good one at that. With a jaw dropping ending that makes you say,
I don't care if it retcons things and doesn't make sense, it was good
anyway.

Succession - "What It Takes" - The family sits around a picks the next
U.S. President. But Shiv has some serious issues with the guy they pick.

Queenpins (Showtime) - The movie says it's based on a true story, but I
can' verify that. It stars Kristen Bell and Kirby Howell-Baptiste as a
pair of subborben women who like to use coupons. But things get
slightly out of control when Bell suggest they take things to the next
level and with a little help become international criminals raking in
millions from selling fake coupons. Vince Vaughn co-stars as a postal
inspector hot on their trail along with Paul Walter Hauser who plays a
ridiculously overzealous store loss prevention officer who is the first
to catch on to their scheme. I guess it was OK. This originally popped
up on Paramount+, and I meant to watch it there but kept forgetting.
This shows yet another advantage of cable/DVR over streaming.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<593863931.659299400.415906.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125714&group=rec.arts.tv#125714

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:53:40 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:53 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 11/22/2021 6:00 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2021-11-22 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

> I watched:
>

> Star Trek: Prodigy (Paramount+) - "Terror Firma" - I completely forgot
> about Prodigy. That's the problem with streaming, if it's not sitting
> on my DVR I'm likely to forget about it.

That keeps happening to me with GHOSTS.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<bYCdnTxAU67JlwH8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125743&group=rec.arts.tv#125743

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 15:23:32 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:23 UTC

On Nov 22, 2021 at 1:30:41 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY "Kobayashi Maru" - Paramount

Now that they know what caused The Burn and have prevented it from ever
happening again, Starfleet has an entire planet made of dilithium that they're
suing to reestablish the Federation.

Burnham and the crew are on a planet of warlike butterfly people on a mission
to reestablish contact and get them to come back into the Federation fold.
They're suspicious and attack them until Burnham gives them free dilithium to
power their planetary satellite array, which they need to fly straight.

Starfleet Academy is re-opening for the first time in a century. Burnham
delivers the keynote speech and introduces the new Federation president, who's
one of those stock TV characters that's like, "I know you people have
sacrificed almost everything for us and without you, the Federation wouldn't
even exist, but I still don't like you and I'm suspicious of you despite
having no evidence whatsoever on which to base that judgement."

So when Starfleet receives a distress call from a Deep Space outpost which is
too far away for warp drive, and the admiral assigns Discovery to assist, the
president decides to pull rank and join the mission to 'observe', which is
code for 'question all of Burnham's command decisions'.

Discovery arrives to find the deep space station spinning wildly out of
control. It has been hit by some kind of gravitational anomaly. They set about
trying to evacuate all the personnel without being able to use transporters
and while under bombardment from giant chunks of frozen methane-- the system's
Oort Cloud which was also thrown higgledy-piggledy by the gravitational
anomaly.

Meanwhile, on the coincidentally nearby Kwajein, Book is visiting his family
when he notices local wildlife behaving strangely. He takes off in his ship to
investigate but is almost immediately sent spinning out of control by the
anomaly. Later, after being picked up by Discovery, he asks them to bring him
back home and they can't locate his planet. When they get there, they realize
his planet has been Alderaaned by the anomaly.

Decent season opener. I like Burnham's look. Martin-Green looks a lot better
with hair than she did with that boyish military haircut.

The Federation president is clearly going to be something of an antagonist
from here on out, which would be fine if she actually had a reason to be one.
As it stands, her attitude seems evidence-free and therefore merely petty.

The episode had very little social justicey elements, which was great. The
Trill, who is basically the vehicle for the writers to shove the tranny agenda
at us, was there, having been given a field commission into Starfleet by
Burnham. But she/he/it spent the episode doing her/his/its job rather than
angsting about gender issues, so that was fine. The gay doctor and engineer
were also there, and also doing their jobs, rather than spending all their
time worrying about their gay relationship, so that was fine.

And everyone has finally put on their actual Starfleet uniforms rather than
running around in their 950-year-old uniforms.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<990406220.659340225.631798.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125810&group=rec.arts.tv#125810

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 23:19:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 06:19 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I watched the first episodes of the regular series of the $6 million man
WINE, WOMEN, AND WAR.
Man was this a mess. They must’ve only had Lee Majors for like three days
of the shooting and padded the rest of it out with stock footage and hand
and torso doubles. There’s an entire and entirely pointless sport fishing
sequence that’s made up of a shot of Steve listening to Brett Eklund talk
from the scene before and stock footage of fish jumping and inserts of
somebody else’s hands working the tackle. They use the sub from ice station
zebra in the wrong aspect ratio for two different subs and the show and the
sequence where they lower Ernest Borgnine from a helicopter on to the
submarine twice in the episode, once forward, and once backward. Did they
really think we were going to forget they showed this Half an hour before?
While they are flying along keeping the ocean to their left Steve says that
as long as they keep their ocean to their right they can’t miss the evil
hideout. The evil hideout is on a tourist island in the Bahamas and Steve
destroys it by sitting off an atomic bomb. In an inhabited area on a
tourist island in the Bahamas. And they even cut the Dusty Springfield
song. They had not figured out yet but Steve didn’t have two bionic arms so
he kept doing stuff with both hands on the wrong hand.

NCIS Los Angeles S13E06 “sundown“
A guy who thinks his Navy daughter was murdered builds a bomb and takes a
bunch of people hostage on a bus and shoots one of them and it’s up to NCIS
to get them out. They all feel sorry for the guy for no reason I can figure
although he may have been Muslim which would’ve done it and there was no
reason for his bomb to be real. An empty threat would have done as much
good. Meanwhile The dabbling Deeks spend the whole episode worrying about
adopting a kid and Gen Simon is all angst about losing a daughter and
you’re expecting there’s going to be a reveal but there isn’t. Another
lousy ep.

THE TENDER TRAP TCM
As I predicted I watched the opening and ending song and skip the guts.

FANTASY ISLAND S05E04
Stuart Whitman wants to be a cowboy in the old west but as usual Roarke
tricks him. And he decides to stay and they let him. This begs some
questions about where are the ranch he’s been working on actually is.
Meanwhile Lynda Day George is a doctor named Frankenstein who wants to
visit the castle of the real Dr. Frankenstein so Rourke has it
reconstructed on fantasy Island complete with the monster which makes no
sense. She wants to take the monster back to civilization but Roarke won’t
let her so she’s going to build a clinic to study him they there on the
island. This also begs questions about how all this works.
Tattoo is a voice cameo only as this is the last season where Wendy Schall
splits duty as the assistant.

> —> Let’’ go Brandon

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<snilrp$1gf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=125860&group=rec.arts.tv#125860

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:12:40 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 12:12 UTC

In article <sngkfu$gdr$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Queenpins (Showtime) - The movie says it's based on a true story, but I
>can' verify that. It stars Kristen Bell and Kirby Howell-Baptiste as a
>pair of subborben women who like to use coupons. But things get
>slightly out of control when Bell suggest they take things to the next
>level and with a little help become international criminals raking in
>millions from selling fake coupons.

I am not 100% certain, but during the golden age of couponing, I remember
hearing about rampant coupon fraud requiring the coupon authorities to crack
down.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-21 (Sunday)

<sojrnt$hl8$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=128857&group=rec.arts.tv#128857

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 02:15:25 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 02:15 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> Doctor Who (BBCA) - "Village of the Angels" - A Weeping Angels
> episode, and a good one at that. With a jaw dropping ending that
> makes you say, I don't care if it retcons things and doesn't make
> sense, it was good anyway.

I guess I'm the only Who fan that doesn't care for the Weeping Angels.
I agree with, I think it was one of the DW newsgroup people, that this
whole arc is an everything-including-the-kitchen-sink story, and that
kind of kills it for me. It feels like the Doctor has to exposit to
thin air more than even usual, because she's often separated from anyone
she can more reasonably explain things to. I'm just waiting out
Chibnall at this point.

-Micky