A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!

SubjectAuthor
* Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!Peter Trei
`* Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!Gary McGath
 `* Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!Mike Van Pelt
  `- Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!Jay E. Morris

1
Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!

<a8bd34bb-2e74-4f33-960d-48ed1793c9b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1288

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 12:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!
From: petert...@gmail.com (Peter Trei)
 by: Peter Trei - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:53 UTC

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/babylon-5-reboot-the-cw-j-michael-straczynski-1235075236/

A “Babylon 5” reboot is in development at The CW, Variety has learned.

Original series creator J. Michael Straczynski is onboard to write the project. He will also executive producer under his Studio JMS banner. Warner Bros. Television, which produced the original series, will produce the reboot..

The new iteration of the sci-fi series is described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot.”

Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!

<sj5nca$cnl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1289&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1289

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 21:13:42 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 01:13 UTC

On 9/30/21 3:53 PM, Peter Trei wrote:
> https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/babylon-5-reboot-the-cw-j-michael-straczynski-1235075236/
>
> A “Babylon 5” reboot is in development at The CW, Variety has learned.
>
> Original series creator J. Michael Straczynski is onboard to write the project. He will also executive producer under his Studio JMS banner. Warner Bros. Television, which produced the original series, will produce the reboot.
>
> The new iteration of the sci-fi series is described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot.”

While I don't like reboots in general (and refuse to watch Abrams'
reboot of Star Trek), this has some hope. From what JMS has said, he
intends to start with the same basic premise but build a new story line
around it, taking advantage of his years of experience since then and
the technical tools that have become available.

I've seen much better articles on the plan than that Variety article. It
talks about the basic premise without being clear whether it's
describing the original B5 or the new one. Since I haven't seen that
level of detail anywhere else, it's likely just a capsule summary of the
old series.

It says "none of the original series stars are attached to the project"
without mentioning that half of them are dead and the rest are a lot
older than they were in B5.

Babylon 5.1 (remember you heard that name here first) could be really
good. Whether I'll ever see it, since I don't have cable and currently
subscribe just to two niche streaming video services, is unclear.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!

<sj7gim$d4k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1292&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1292

From: mvp...@shell.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:29:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:29 UTC

In article <sj5nca$cnl$1@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>On 9/30/21 3:53 PM, Peter Trei wrote:
>>
>https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/babylon-5-reboot-the-cw-j-michael-straczynski-1235075236/
>> A Babylon 5 reboot is in development at The CW, Variety has learned.
>
>While I don't like reboots in general (and refuse to watch Abrams'
>reboot of Star Trek), this has some hope. From what JMS has said, he
>intends to start with the same basic premise but build a new story line
>around it, taking advantage of his years of experience since then and
>the technical tools that have become available.

My first reaction was a sinking feeling, and saying "Why!??!"

But it sounds like JMS is heavily involved.

My concern is, is CW going to give him a free hand, or are
they meddle it to death the way Fox (?) did to "Crusade".
Does he have "You can't continue it without me" creative
control, or can they kick him off and make Babylon 90210
out of it.

Part of the fun of Babylon 5 was slowly figuring out what was
really going on. But then, knowing what I do of JMS, "what's
really going on" is likely very different in this version, and
if you're expecting the old WRGO, you're in for a shock.

I really wish this were JMS's long-promised treatment of
the Lensman saga, but I'll certainly give this a watch.

Unless it turns out to be Babylon 90210.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: Babylon 5 reboot in the works, with JMS!

<sj9v7o$inn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1295&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1295

From: morr...@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:52:23 -0500
 by: Jay E. Morris - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:52 UTC

On 10/1/2021 12:29 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> My concern is, is CW going to give him a free hand, or are
> they meddle it to death the way Fox (?) did to "Crusade".
> Does he have "You can't continue it without me" creative
> control, or can they kick him off and make Babylon 90210
> out of it.

He has said that he's very much in control. If that will last is the
question. Hopefully it's written into an ironclad contract.