Subject: Happy (late) 80th, Ann Whitford Paul! (If Animals Kissed Goodnight, 2008)
From: Lenona
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 20:50 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 12:50:29 -0800 (PST)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
Her birthday was on Feb. 1st.

A former social worker, she was born in Evanston, Illinois and now lives in Los Angeles.

https://annwhitfordpaul.com/
 (her site)

https://biography.jrank.org/pages/2156/Paul-Ann-Whitford-1941.html
 (includes awards, booklist, and long article about her work)

Excerpt:

"As the oldest of five children, I lived a normal, happy and uneventful life in the Midwest. Although I once entertained the idea of being a writer, it was quickly repressed in the seventh grade when a neighbor girl stole my diary and read all the nasty things I'd written about her! It put a big damper on our friendship and watching the hurt and angry expression on my first reader's face discouraged my writing ambition. In addition, no matter how hard I tried in school, I never got above a B on any creative writing assignment--final proof that I was not cut out to write. I turned my sights to a more attainable goal and graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in sociology and then attended Columbia University School of Social Work, where I received an M.S.W.

"It was not until I was thirty-five years old and had just given birth to the third of my four children that I began to think about writing books. The inspiration came from my children..."

https://twitter.com/annwhitfordpaul?lang=en

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/ann-whitford-paul/
 (16 Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/142845.Ann_Whitford_Paul?from_search=true&from_srp=true
 (reader reviews)

http://www.kirbylarson.com/ann-whitford-paul/
 (long 2009 interview)

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS940&ei=1IkpYNf7B7-u5NoPv5ymkAo&q=ann+whitford+paul+interview&oq=ann+whitford+paul+interview&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKABMgUIIRCgATIFCCEQoAEyBQghEKABOgoILhCwAxBDEJMCOgcILhCwAxBDOgcIABCwAxBDOgUIABCwAzoJCAAQsAMQBxAeOgcIABCwAxAeOgIIADoECAAQQzoGCAAQFhAeOgUIIRCrAlCbCVjgFmD6GWgBcAB4AIABfIgBwASSAQM0LjKYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjXteSaneruAhU_F1kFHT-OCaIQ4dUDCA4&uact=5
 (more interviews, including more recent ones)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ann+whitford+paul&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS940&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu1Yntn-ruAhWSMlkFHcAsBCkQ_AUoAHoECAkQCg&biw=1111&bih=625
 (videos about Paul's books)

WRITINGS:

Owl at Night, Putnam (New York, NY), 1985.

Eight Hands Round: A Patchwork Alphabet, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1991..
Shadows Are About, Scholastic (New York, NY), 1992.
The Seasons Sewn: A Year in Patchwork, illustrated by Michael McCurdy, Browndeer Press/ Harcourt Brace (San Diego, CA), 1996.
Hello Toes! Hello Feet!, DK Ink (New York, NY), 1998.
Silly Sadie, Silly Samuel, illustrated by Sylvie Wickstrom, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (New York, NY), 1998.
All by Herself: 14 Girls Who Made a Difference: Poems, illustrated by Michael Steirnagle, Browndeer Press/Harcourt Brace (San Diego, CA), 1999.
Everything to Spend the Night: From A to Z, DK Publishing (New York, NY), 1999.

Little Monkey Says Good Night, illustrated by David Walker, Melanie Kroupa Books (New York, NY), 2003.
MaƱana, Iguana, illustrated by Ethan Long, Holiday House (New York, NY), 2004.
Hop! Hop! Hop!, illustrated by Jan Gerardi, Random House (New York, NY), 2005.
Fiesta Fiasco, 2007;
Snail's Good Night, 2007;
Count on Culebra, 2008;
If Animals Kissed Good Night, 2008;
Writing Picture Books: A Hands-on Guide from Story Creation to Publication, 2009;
Word Builder, 2009;
Tortuga in Trouble, 2009;
Twas the Late Night of Christmas, 2014.

"Also author of In My Yard, Scholastic. Contributor to Poems for Grandmothers and Dog Poems, both edited by Myra Cohn Livingston; Snuffles and Snouts, edited by Laura Robb; Hannukkah Lights; Oh, No! Where Are My Pants?; and Hoofbeats, Claws & Rippled Fins, Wonderful Words, My America, and Home to Me, all edited by Lee Bennett Hopkins. Contributor to Cricket and Spider."

Lenona.