Old musicians never die, they just decompose.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

SubjectAuthor
* Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in GermanyBTR1701
+* Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in GermanymoviePig
|+* Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germanyshawn
||+* Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in GermanyThe Horny Goat
|||`* Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germanyshawn
||| `- Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in GermanymoviePig
||`- Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in GermanyAdam H. Kerman
|`- Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germanytrotsky
+- Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germanytrotsky
`- Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germanytrotsky

1
Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<9aadnXlQpb1Bxyz8nZ2dnUU7-K2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129617&group=rec.arts.tv#129617

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 19:24:44 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 01:24 UTC

If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad guy.

https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<%ResJ.40355$aY3.28275@fx21.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129637&group=rec.arts.tv#129637

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 22:37:31 -0500
 by: moviePig - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 03:37 UTC

On 12/8/2021 8:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad guy.
>
> https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20

Am I the only one who'd need more context here ...and fluent German?

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<nj63rgt3hs22f02fmcevgenfk4f5eppngr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129665&group=rec.arts.tv#129665

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 01:05:34 -0500
 by: shawn - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 06:05 UTC

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 22:37:31 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 12/8/2021 8:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad guy.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20
>
>Am I the only one who'd need more context here ...and fluent German?

The women apparently taking part in some protest. Seems like it was
both right-wing and left-wing extremists with the police trying to
prevent them from clashing.

The police stopped her and asked for her to identify herself and she
couldn't. Apparently under German law everyone needs to have some
means to identify themselves with them so the police detained her
because she lacked means to identify herself. At least this is what I
get from reading some of the comments.

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<sosvrd$11k2$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129690&group=rec.arts.tv#129690

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 07:20:45 -0600
 by: trotsky - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:20 UTC

On 12/8/2021 7:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad guy.
>
> https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20

No, that's not correct you white supremacist insurrectionist piece of
fucking garbage. Any questions, Derpshit?

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<sot0j7$1eae$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129691&group=rec.arts.tv#129691

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 07:33:26 -0600
 by: trotsky - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:33 UTC

On 12/8/2021 7:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad guy.
>
> https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20

Or, if you support people that are too motherfucking stupid to spell the
word "eerie" you're the bad guy.

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<81o4rgddrhqqr70fgv7d0c62v3o0bu5b2o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129760&group=rec.arts.tv#129760

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 12:08:04 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 20:08 UTC

On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 01:05:34 -0500, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 22:37:31 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 12/8/2021 8:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad guy.
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20
>>
>>Am I the only one who'd need more context here ...and fluent German?
>
>The women apparently taking part in some protest. Seems like it was
>both right-wing and left-wing extremists with the police trying to
>prevent them from clashing.
>
>The police stopped her and asked for her to identify herself and she
>couldn't. Apparently under German law everyone needs to have some
>means to identify themselves with them so the police detained her
>because she lacked means to identify herself. At least this is what I
>get from reading some of the comments.

So you're suggesting that last Monday had I been a German I could be
subject to arrest for taking my trash to the curb since I was wearing
sweatpants (no wallet) instead of my pants (with wallet)?

(From what you're saying they wouldn't have accepted "OK just a minute
officer, my wallet is in my other pants - I'll be right back"? Not
that I'm a big fan of being required to show ID without some suspicion
of some kind of infraction - though in holiday seasons local police DO
stop ALL cars in a roadblock on apparently random occasions, usually
after dark with the conversation normally going "had anything to drink
tonight sir?" "nothing stronger than coffee" "OK have a good evening
sir". On one occasion I had low tire pressure and the officer pointed
it out but that was as desperate as it ever got)

Mandatory joke: on one occasion traffic was bumper to bumper for 2
blocks and the police had a radar unit there you could see from a
block away. When I got to him I rolled down my window and said
"officer you have simply GOT to be kidding - do you think anybody's
speeding in THIS?!?", we both laughed and he lowered his radar gun and
I got through at the next light)

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<sotope$m6$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129772&group=rec.arts.tv#129772

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 20:26:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 20:26 UTC

>On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 22:37:31 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>>On 12/8/2021 8:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>>If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad guy.

>>>https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20

>>Am I the only one who'd need more context here ...and fluent German?

>The women apparently taking part in some protest. Seems like it was
>both right-wing and left-wing extremists with the police trying to
>prevent them from clashing.

>The police stopped her and asked for her to identify herself and she
>couldn't. Apparently under German law everyone needs to have some
>means to identify themselves with them so the police detained her
>because she lacked means to identify herself. At least this is what I
>get from reading some of the comments.

It's Germany. What do you expect?

In the United States, there have been a number of Supreme Court
decisions in which one must identify one's self to the police and show
ID, if carrying it. However, unless one is doing something that requires
ID be carried, like driving, one need not carry ID. A pedestrian is
under no obligation to carry ID.

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<9ls4rgpfdssg9hb0b5tjite7262fblck7j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129785&group=rec.arts.tv#129785

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 16:20:16 -0500
 by: shawn - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 21:20 UTC

On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 12:08:04 -0800, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 01:05:34 -0500, shawn
><nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 22:37:31 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Am I the only one who'd need more context here ...and fluent German?
>>
>>The women apparently taking part in some protest. Seems like it was
>>both right-wing and left-wing extremists with the police trying to
>>prevent them from clashing.
>>
>>The police stopped her and asked for her to identify herself and she
>>couldn't. Apparently under German law everyone needs to have some
>>means to identify themselves with them so the police detained her
>>because she lacked means to identify herself. At least this is what I
>>get from reading some of the comments.
>
>So you're suggesting that last Monday had I been a German I could be
>subject to arrest for taking my trash to the curb since I was wearing
>sweatpants (no wallet) instead of my pants (with wallet)?

My understanding is that yes, they COULD do that. That said I think
it's the particular situation with the potentially violent protest
(with both right and left wing extremists protesting in the same area)
that led to them deciding that detaining the woman was acceptable.

>(From what you're saying they wouldn't have accepted "OK just a minute
>officer, my wallet is in my other pants - I'll be right back"? Not
>that I'm a big fan of being required to show ID without some suspicion
>of some kind of infraction - though in holiday seasons local police DO
>stop ALL cars in a roadblock on apparently random occasions, usually
>after dark with the conversation normally going "had anything to drink
>tonight sir?" "nothing stronger than coffee" "OK have a good evening
>sir". On one occasion I had low tire pressure and the officer pointed
>it out but that was as desperate as it ever got)
>
>Mandatory joke: on one occasion traffic was bumper to bumper for 2
>blocks and the police had a radar unit there you could see from a
>block away. When I got to him I rolled down my window and said
>"officer you have simply GOT to be kidding - do you think anybody's
>speeding in THIS?!?", we both laughed and he lowered his radar gun and
>I got through at the next light)

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<sou14v$1ar4$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129805&group=rec.arts.tv#129805

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 16:49:03 -0600
 by: trotsky - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 22:49 UTC

On 12/8/2021 9:37 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/8/2021 8:24 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> If you support this sort of behavior by the government, you're the bad
>> guy.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1468346292363571201?s=20
>
> Am I the only one who'd need more context here ...and fluent German?

Context went the way of facts with right wing assholes.

Re: Being Outside in Public Without Your Papers in Germany

<HJvsJ.69132$IB7.61558@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=129807&group=rec.arts.tv#129807

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 17:49:10 -0500
 by: moviePig - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 22:49 UTC

On 12/9/2021 4:20 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 12:08:04 -0800, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 01:05:34 -0500, shawn
>> <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> The women apparently taking part in some protest. Seems like it was
>>> both right-wing and left-wing extremists with the police trying to
>>> prevent them from clashing.
>>>
>>> The police stopped her and asked for her to identify herself and she
>>> couldn't. Apparently under German law everyone needs to have some
>>> means to identify themselves with them so the police detained her
>>> because she lacked means to identify herself. At least this is what I
>>> get from reading some of the comments.
>>
>> So you're suggesting that last Monday had I been a German I could be
>> subject to arrest for taking my trash to the curb since I was wearing
>> sweatpants (no wallet) instead of my pants (with wallet)?
>
> My understanding is that yes, they COULD do that. That said I think
> it's the particular situation with the potentially violent protest
> (with both right and left wing extremists protesting in the same area)
> that led to them deciding that detaining the woman was acceptable.
>
>> (From what you're saying they wouldn't have accepted "OK just a minute
>> officer, my wallet is in my other pants - I'll be right back"? Not
>> that I'm a big fan of being required to show ID without some suspicion
>> of some kind of infraction - though in holiday seasons local police DO
>> stop ALL cars in a roadblock on apparently random occasions, usually
>> after dark with the conversation normally going "had anything to drink
>> tonight sir?" "nothing stronger than coffee" "OK have a good evening
>> sir". On one occasion I had low tire pressure and the officer pointed
>> it out but that was as desperate as it ever got)
>>
>> Mandatory joke: on one occasion traffic was bumper to bumper for 2
>> blocks and the police had a radar unit there you could see from a
>> block away. When I got to him I rolled down my window and said
>> "officer you have simply GOT to be kidding - do you think anybody's
>> speeding in THIS?!?", we both laughed and he lowered his radar gun and
>> I got through at the next light)

I'm deducing that a demand for ID in Germany is not so common that this
woman carried hers, yet common enough that the cops felt okay to ask it.