Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 15:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Discrimination Against Beauty
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 22:47 UTC

While it may be wrong to discriminate in favor of beauty, it is certainly wrong to discriminate against it.

Unfortunately we see such a thing all around us.

Women who are beautiful are thought of as being bad or sick, and conscientious people are being told to stay away from them in relationships, leaving them with nobody to go to except men who are blatantly abusive.

I’ve been with and loved women who were beautiful; however beauty was not the only thing that they had going for them. They also were kind, compassionate and wise. It is completely wrong to discriminate against them or to fail to honor their good qualities. That they are beautiful does not mean that that is all that they are. They were also good people, and that should count for something.

Of course I’ve also known women whom I did not find attractive, whom I respected and even loved for their personal qualities. I cannot be accused of being shallow or anything of the sort. I value beauty in all sorts of things besides women. I value beauty in nature. I value beauty in art. And yes, I also value “inner beauty,” whether or not it is matched by physical beauty.

This is the case for women to whom I’m attracted. This is also the case for women to whom I am not attracted, such as my female relatives. Standing up for them is a labor of love. I refuse to see these women being mistreated or discriminated against over them possessing what is a good quality – a quality that is in no way incompatible with being a good person.

Many men are attracted to such women, but they are not willing to treat them right. Their likes and their values are in discord. They are attracted to beauty, but their beliefs do not value beauty. So they get what they want and are dissatisfied with it, resulting in them being unhappy and treating the woman badly.

So that while one should not treat unattractive women badly, neither should one treat attractive women badly. Physical beauty co-exists with other good traits all the time. Being beautiful doesn’t mean that that you don’t have good personal qualities. I know many women who are both good and beautiful, and they do not deserve to be treated this way.