From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: ASH: Shadow Girls #5 - Rising Stars
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 04:32:06 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 04:32 UTC

[The cover shows the four Morning Stars reflected in a black,
curved surface, with a gleaming yellow star behind them.]

.|, COHERENT COMICS PRESENTS An ASH Universe Story
--+-------------------------------------------------------------------------
'|` SHADOW GIRLS #5 - Rising Stars
copyright 2022 by Dave Van Domelen

The Morning Stars

Tetra-Red Xueli "Julie" Li - The Leader
Hexa-Blue Tamica "Tammy" Sullivan - The Brains
Octa-Green Dhriti "Tee" Singh - The Fighter
Icosa-Pink Olivia "Liv" Stuart - The Heart
Hellhound? Madelyn "Maddie" Chin - The Mentor...under protest

[May 3, 2027 - The Lair]

"No WAY are you Hellhound," Octa-Green snorted. "She had real powers,
you're too old for that."
Maddie, without removing the helmet, slipped on a somewhat bulky
motorcycling glove, which then crackled with electrical energy.
"Technology's wonderful, isn't it?"
Hexa-Blue frowned. "But it has limits."
"Like I told Julie," Maddie shed the glove and helmet, "there are
secrets here that aren't mine to share. I will say that while I genuinely
was Hellhound, I wasn't the only one. We shared the identity, covered for
each other to keep people from figuring out our secrets, that sort of thing."
She frowned. "Not that it stopped a few people from figuring out my
involvement. We probably would have been outed if we hadn't retired when we
did."
"So you know us and we know you, and how you got all this stuff," Julie
nodded, powering down and dismissing the shadows. "You already know I prefer
going by Julie, even though I know you can say Xueli correctly. And you know
Tammy goes by Tammy because of me."
"I'm Liv!" Icosa-Pink bounced up and down before dismissing her
shadows. Unsurprisingly, her leotard was bright pink. "And Dhriti goes by
'Tee!'"
"Pretty much the same reason Julie went with her nickname," Octa-Green
shrugged as she powered down as well.
Tammy narrowed her eyes, before sighing and joining the rest in being
unshadowed.
Maddie clapped her hands. "Okay! First order of business, I'm gonna
get all your retina scans into the system, that much doesn't change when
you're 'on,' I hope. Most of the security systems are passive alerts, but
there's a couple of locks and unpleasant diversions you'd rather not fall
into. Then I'll get your measurements in both 'modes' so I can make you some
proper outfits. I can have something basic ready in a few days...I got a lot
of practice on the armor-strength sewing machine back in the Hellhound days.
I have some ideas for fancier outfits, but that'll take parts I don't keep
around, and I'll want to see you in action a bit more first anyway."
"Why do we need fancy uniforms?" Tee asked. "I mean, I wouldn't say no
to better shoes, but our powers provide the rest."
"Anchors exist," Maddie shrugged. "And beyond that, do you know for
sure you won't involuntarily power down if you get stunned in a fight? If
the shadows drop at a bad time, you want at least some protection, both
physically and for your identities."
"So, you getting out the tape measure, yah?" Liv asked, looking around
as if trying to find tailoring gear.
"Pshaw, that's so TwenCen," Maddie smiled. "The cameras around this
room can do the job, just stand in the middle and make the poses I tell you
to, then power up and repeat. Oh, and take off your shoes first...the
leotards won't cause problems, but I will need good images of your bare feet
for the footwear."
Tee narrowed her eyes. "Are you sure the shadows won't cause problems
for the imaging?"
"No, but in that case I do have the old school stuff around here
somewhere," Maddie shrugged. "You're a lot more durable when powered up,
though, so I suspect that minor issues with fit won't be as noticeable then.
It's more important that you can comfortably wear these under your street
clothes when not powered up."

A few minutes later, the scans were done to Maddie's satisfaction.
"Yeah, just being stretchy won't be enough, some of you actually get
smaller in some measurements. I've never actually designed a uniform for
someone who changes shape, but I know some people in the field who I can ask,
carefully." Technically, the "field" of superhero uniform design was only a
handful of people, but Beth had put Maddie in touch with a couple of the
armorers for the Marshals program, who had to deal with a wide variety of
powers while ensuring a common look for the NAC Marshals.
"This place doesn't have a changing room does it?" Tammy asked, looking
a little self-conscious.
"Actually, it does. There's a small training dojo durable enough for
people with your powers, but really meant for one man. And I emphasize *man*
here, since I had to do some renovation on the locker room beyond just making
it big enough for a few women. I'll give you a tour next, but I also have
some homework for you."
Liv groaned.
"You've had your data files for over a month now, I'm sure you've read
over them pretty thoroughly. I want you to put your heads together and pick
someone to go after. Someone who should be an easy target, and who you can
take down without getting the Hangmen OR Bathory on your backs right away,"
Maddie said. "Anything overt is going to get targets on your backs, but it's
best to start small anyway."
"And I take it you have one in mind already, and will grade our work?"
Tammy arched an eyebrow.
"I have a few, but I still need to spend more time with the data myself,
you may come up with one I haven't thought of yet. We'll get back together
here on Friday night, I'll pass out the outfits, and you'll present your
attack plan to me. Okay?"
"Okay," they chorused, with varying levels of enthusiasm.

After the tour, Maddie sent them home with warnings about spending too
much time exploring the tunnels, then sat staring at the Hellhound helmet.
"Time for Hellhound to ride again?" she muttered to her distorted
reflection in the visor. "Or do I take the suggestion and become the new
Professor Shade?"
She stood and paced a bit, then headed for a locked room she hadn't
shown the girls, the one that held a lot of the things she'd moved out of the
way in order to turn the hideout into her own place.
She picked up another helmet, this one of featureless black armor
glass. "No, if I'm going to be a TwenCen legacy, it'll be my OWN."

* * * *

[May 4, 2027 - Albany, New York Sector]

The Academy had still been working on formalized tracks when Beth had
been there, but they'd already put in place a few "non-optional electives"
for anyone who had combat-ready powers, including a course almost everyone
hated: Survey of Legal and Regulatory Processes. Basically, it was a class
about how to do paperwork, the kind of paperwork that fills the time between
fight scenes for a government-backed supernormal.
And, frankly, it had been the most useful course Beth had ever taken.
Which Professor Blake said it would be...not that anyone believed him at the
time.
Beth's graycell pinged, rescuing her from the latest page of red tape,
if only for a few minutes. The tone indicated it was "personal," which meant
it wouldn't be actively monitored...probably. No one believed that, either.
"Heya, Mads," Beth directed the call to her headpiece after pressing
answer.
"You busy?"
"Just paperwork, New York Sector's been relatively quiet lately." Which
was to say, none of the Manhattan Autonomous Sector fun had spilled over into
the boroughs that had stayed in America recently. "What's up?"
"Well, it's been a busy week *here*, I tell you, and it's not helping
that I let myself get roped into some community service stuff for the local
high school. Good publicity, but...you know that we've got two actual high
schools on the island now, right?"
"I do keep up with the old hangouts, yes," Beth replied carefully.
Because they knew they couldn't talk without observers, the three former
Hellhounds had a few codewords arranged to give each other a heads-up when
being too open was a bad idea, and Maddie'd just told her that there was
paranormal trouble at the high schools. Given how many of the less dedicated
paragangers had "reformed" and entered the school population, but declined to
leave the Autonomous Sector and go to the Academy, it was the main reason she
still kept up with the old hangouts.
"Well, there's some talk about getting an intramural Paraball team
going, since not everyone wants to race motorcycles," Maddie explained. "And
I might have kinda agreed to help with uniforms. I'm not bad with a sewing
machine, but I don't really know how to deal with powered kids who might get
bigger or smaller or catch fire...okay, I can probably do that one, plenty of
fireproof fabrics. But could you put me in touch with your tailor so I can
get some help?"
Beth nodded, "Sure, I can do that. No guarantee he'll be allowed to
tell you much, but I'm sure he'll have some tips." This was all a dodge.
Maddie had her own way of getting ahold of the armorer who'd helped out with
some of the trickier bits of the Hellhound costumes. This was purely for
Beth's information...somehow Maddie had gotten stuck with mentoring a
teenaged superhero team, which was going to be all SORTS of fun.
"When can you come visit next? I got hassled by some Snow Leopards the
other day, I think Bathory's getting her back up over something or other,"
Maddie complained, sending a chill down Beth's spine. The signal crackled
slightly before she got her electromagnetism back under control. "Bring
friends? And maybe a light armored column?"
Beth schooled her voice to sound bored, in an Oh This Again way. "Mads,
you know the MAS is *autononous*, it's in the name. We can't go in unless
Umbrae specifically asks us for help, and last I heard, he hadn't. And trust
me, I'd hear. You can still move out, you know...Umbrae didn't set up a wall
or anything, he's trying to play nice for the cameras." Beth knew Maddie
would never leave, but part of their public cover was that Beth was always
trying to get her to sell Grocery Store and move to at least a safer
(American) part of New York City. These arguments were great places to hide
codewords, too.
"Now now, Beth, I'm a big girl. Heck, I'm older than you. Chinatown is
my home, it's gonna take more than a few kitties and a problem customer or
two to make me turn tail and run," Maddie replied.
Problem customer. That meant someone who knew that at least Maddie had
been Hellhound. The "or two" indicated that Maddie wasn't sure if it was the
same person who'd sent the woman into Grocery Store last year. It also meant
that Beth really needed to decide soon if she wanted to come clean to her
superiors about her extracurricular activities prior to becoming a Marshal.
That secret identity was rapidly approaching its expiration date.
"Well, hope you get it ironed out," Beth sighed. "Unfortunately, I have
forms that aren't going to fill themselves, so I guess I should get back to
them." That, sadly, was not code.
"Ah, paperwork. The price of success, I know it so well. Have fun,
talk to you later!"
"Later."
Maddie hung up.
Once those forms were dealt with, Beth was going to go over the latest
intel from MAS with a fine-toothed comb and see if there was anything she
could pass up the chain beyond, "My friend in Manhattan thinks stuff's gonna
happen." And maybe find hints about what the kids Maddie had gotten herself
involved with had been up to....

Click here to read the complete article
Re: ASH: Shadow Girls #5 - Rising Stars

<tq02ah$297a0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1648&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1648

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: Re: ASH: Shadow Girls #5 - Rising Stars
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 05:18:15 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 05:18 UTC

On 1/12/22 11:32 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> [The cover shows the four Morning Stars reflected in a black,
> curved surface, with a gleaming yellow star behind them.]

oooooooh :o

> The Morning Stars
>
> Tetra-Red Xueli "Julie" Li - The Leader
> Hexa-Blue Tamica "Tammy" Sullivan - The Brains
> Octa-Green Dhriti "Tee" Singh - The Fighter
> Icosa-Pink Olivia "Liv" Stuart - The Heart
> Hellhound? Madelyn "Maddie" Chin - The Mentor...under protest

eeeeeeeheeheehee. :D

> "No WAY are you Hellhound," Octa-Green snorted. "She had real powers,
> you're too old for that."
> Maddie, without removing the helmet, slipped on a somewhat bulky
> motorcycling glove, which then crackled with electrical energy.
> "Technology's wonderful, isn't it?"

:3

> "I'm Liv!" Icosa-Pink bounced up and down before dismissing her
> shadows. Unsurprisingly, her leotard was bright pink. "And Dhriti goes by
> 'Tee!'"

D'awwwww

> "Why do we need fancy uniforms?" Tee asked. "I mean, I wouldn't say no
> to better shoes, but our powers provide the rest."
> "Anchors exist," Maddie shrugged. "And beyond that, do you know for
> sure you won't involuntarily power down if you get stunned in a fight? If
> the shadows drop at a bad time, you want at least some protection, both
> physically and for your identities."

Excellent point.

> Oh, and take off your shoes first...the
> leotards won't cause problems, but I will need good images of your bare feet
> for the footwear."

Something something fetish reference

> "Yeah, just being stretchy won't be enough, some of you actually get
> smaller in some measurements.

Innnnnteresting.

> Technically, the "field" of superhero uniform design was only a
> handful of people, but Beth had put Maddie in touch with a couple of the
> armorers for the Marshals program, who had to deal with a wide variety of
> powers while ensuring a common look for the NAC Marshals.

Noice. :o

> We'll get back together
> here on Friday night, I'll pass out the outfits, and you'll present your
> attack plan to me. Okay?"
> "Okay," they chorused, with varying levels of enthusiasm.

Heeheehee cute

> "Time for Hellhound to ride again?" she muttered to her distorted
> reflection in the visor. "Or do I take the suggestion and become the new
> Professor Shade?"
> She stood and paced a bit, then headed for a locked room she hadn't
> shown the girls, the one that held a lot of the things she'd moved out of the
> way in order to turn the hideout into her own place.
> She picked up another helmet, this one of featureless black armor
> glass. "No, if I'm going to be a TwenCen legacy, it'll be my OWN."

Hell yeah. :D

> The Academy had still been working on formalized tracks when Beth had
> been there, but they'd already put in place a few "non-optional electives"
> for anyone who had combat-ready powers, including a course almost everyone
> hated: Survey of Legal and Regulatory Processes. Basically, it was a class
> about how to do paperwork, the kind of paperwork that fills the time between
> fight scenes for a government-backed supernormal.
> And, frankly, it had been the most useful course Beth had ever taken.
> Which Professor Blake said it would be...not that anyone believed him at the
> time.

Heeheehee. n.n Of course.

> "Just paperwork, New York Sector's been relatively quiet lately." Which
> was to say, none of the Manhattan Autonomous Sector fun had spilled over into
> the boroughs that had stayed in America recently.

Yeah fair. o3o

> "I do keep up with the old hangouts, yes," Beth replied carefully.
> Because they knew they couldn't talk without observers, the three former
> Hellhounds had a few codewords arranged to give each other a heads-up when
> being too open was a bad idea, and Maddie'd just told her that there was
> paranormal trouble at the high schools. Given how many of the less dedicated
> paragangers had "reformed" and entered the school population, but declined to
> leave the Autonomous Sector and go to the Academy, it was the main reason she
> still kept up with the old hangouts.

Oooooh, nice. Such goodgoodgood worldbuilding, I'm always impressed TBH |>

> "Well, there's some talk about getting an intramural Paraball team
> going, since not everyone wants to race motorcycles," Maddie explained. "And
> I might have kinda agreed to help with uniforms. I'm not bad with a sewing
> machine, but I don't really know how to deal with powered kids who might get
> bigger or smaller or catch fire...okay, I can probably do that one, plenty of
> fireproof fabrics. But could you put me in touch with your tailor so I can
> get some help?"

Heeheehee very nice very nice. :>

> This was all a dodge.
> Maddie had her own way of getting ahold of the armorer who'd helped out with
> some of the trickier bits of the Hellhound costumes. This was purely for
> Beth's information...somehow Maddie had gotten stuck with mentoring a
> teenaged superhero team, which was going to be all SORTS of fun.

X3

> "When can you come visit next? I got hassled by some Snow Leopards the
> other day, I think Bathory's getting her back up over something or other,"
> Maddie complained, sending a chill down Beth's spine.

oooooooh.

> Beth knew Maddie
> would never leave, but part of their public cover was that Beth was always
> trying to get her to sell Grocery Store and move to at least a safer
> (American) part of New York City. These arguments were great places to hide
> codewords, too.

:3

> It also meant
> that Beth really needed to decide soon if she wanted to come clean to her
> superiors about her extracurricular activities prior to becoming a Marshal.
> That secret identity was rapidly approaching its expiration date.

Hmmmmm, yes, good point, one way or another.

> "Unfortunately, I have
> forms that aren't going to fill themselves, so I guess I should get back to
> them." That, sadly, was not code.

X3

Awwwwww. *nodnods*

> Definitely "whatever," Maddie thought as she closed the door and headed
> for the hidden passageway that Leon had either never found, or had kept his
> mouth shut about (and managed to not trigger any of the sensors...in which
> case she might have another job for him).

Heeheehee

> "Welcome to Plato's Cave," Julie smiled. "That's what Tammy's been
> calling it, anyway."

Niiiiiice.

> I suppose Plato's Cave is a decent name. It's where we watch the shadows on
> the wall."

Yesssss :D

> "They're in the changing room...you each have a locker
> there now, so you can stick your street clothes there. Probably not enough
> room for you to all change at once unless you're really flexible, though."
> Julie and Tammy blushed, Liv giggled, and Tee rolled her eyes. "Dibs!"
> Liv shouted.

X3

> "Just a sec, speedy," Maddie held up her hand. "So, these uniforms are
> basically armored leotards with some elastic panels, so they should fit you
> in both forms. None of your hands changed noticeably, so the gloves are made
> of tougher material, with armored panels on the backs of the forearms to help
> with blocking. Also, they're really important for making sure you don't
> leave fingerprints or obvious DNA samples. Right now, the shoes are just
> off-the-shelf running shoes, but I added stretch panels in the middle.
> They're the kind with individual toes, so you should have a bit more
> flexibility for things like jumping around on roofs."
> "Toe-shoes are so WEIRD," Julie shuddered.

X3 I love that that's the takeaway.