From: arspitz...@gmail.com (Arthur Spitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #229: LNH vII #53-54
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:50:54 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
d=1e100.net; s=20210112;
h=x-gm-message-state:path:newsgroups:date:injection-info
:nntp-posting-host:user-agent:mime-version:message-id:subject:from
:injection-date:to;
bh=6Bgo4Lg4B8DiFJnBr4zd4bZvWdjqcx9OJRVH5vphw2A=;
b=UuWu66AJnAdW6siCpCvwr/c4Zgg1fY+2+X6ZYMoYshoqYTaPxCkvbC7AkVwEUC+oGU
dBli6cSS900rmZPhlywZ8PAeZu+drdszkNF3vjJ+pfkV1s4OgGuuGZ0myms6wivZqOTB
iTQNzZ8YdgVj87JLc1f3Pov23clb7oZNoi+x8Bvsd/2sTUuv31+JJ9Ft79C3C3NXbEob
bQiOFs6kahRjIsJ2MouiD1WgXdbUpAJthbKHkBbPBxghlmq1Aijjc3Gwh9qoQ7wyuUQ1
iLbknowyYUt1lYYdw+eRmcAhA4TDBE6gW5+8becD2cAu1qjokBw7/Kf6g/0dp8m1pwxq
jTXg==
 by: Arthur Spitzer - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:50 UTC

You can sift through the racc list archive
https://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/
or you can try google groups racc for the issues of LNH vII.

And this week we have a Drew Nilium two parter: issues #53-54
of LNH vII! Is Kid Enthusiastic about to ruin the LNH -- FOREVER?!!!
But -- wait! Is this the Legion of Net.Heroes -- LNH we're talking
about -- or is perhaps one those other teams that shares the same
Letters? Maybe this is the League of Nutty Hopscotchers that's going
to be ruined forever -- so we shouldn't get to worked up about it?

Anyways...

_
| | Classic
| | =
| | ____ ____ _ ____ ___
| |__ | [] | | [] | | | | [] | | _ \

|____| \__] \__ | |_| \__/ |_|\_\
|_| OF NET.HEROES

ADVENTURES #229

=====================
LNH vII #53-54
=====================

From: Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Date: Mon Feb 25 07:41:00 PST 2013

___ ___________________________
| |-| \ #53
| |-| [] / 'Kid Enthusiastic Ruins The LNH
| | | [] egion of \ Forever!'
| | | []__ [] [] [] [] / (Part of High Concept Challenge #35)
| | | [___][ \[]et.[]__[]eroes \
| | | []\ ] [ __ ] / Written by and copyright
| |-| [] [] [] [] \ Andrew Perron, 2013
| |-|___________________________/
| |
| | [ The cover shows Kid Enthusiastic ripping apart a copy of The
| | Might Of Capt'n Quaalude #52. In a spiky speech bubble, he says,
| | "I'm coming for YOUR comics next!" ]
|_|

<---------------------->

[A Silver Age-style roster of characters in the form of a series of mug
shots in little circles runs down the side of the title page:]

Roll call for this issue:
o Kid Enthusiastic! Preteen scientific wonder with an eternally sunny
disposition and way too much energy!
o Footnote Girl! 19th-century schoolgirl with the power to create
helpful pointers!
o Masterplan Lad! Posthuman protector of time and space!

<---------------------->

"Man," said Kid Enthusiastic, "after we found out how the Actual Very
First Case of the LNH went down[*], I want to visit some of those
long-ago founders!"

[* - see LNH v2 #50, true believers! - Footnote Girl]

"Hey, Footnote Girl!" waved Kid E. "You want to come with?"

"Oh! Sure." Petina tossed the footnote over her shoulder.

"Kid Enthusiastic... you know I'm standing right here." Masterplan Lad
crossed his arms.

"Oh hi! Did you want to come too?"

"No!" He put his hands on his hips. "I'm going to stop you from causing
damage to the timeline!"

"What?" Kid Enthusiastic flailed like a Muppet! "Oh come on! I may be
eleven but I know enough about temporal mechanics to--"

"This issue is titled 'Kid Enthusiastic Ruins The LNH Forever!'!"

"...well, I'm sure it'll all work out in the end!"

Masterplan Lad posed dramatically with his umbrella. "I'm sorry, but I
can't take that chance. Even though the Knights Temporal no longer
exist, it is my duty to defend the timestream of the Looniverse.
History must be protected, and you can't just go gallivanting around
and--"

Masterplan Lad suddenly realized he was talking to thin air.

<---------------------->

"You know, I'm reasonably certain that was a bad idea," said Footnote
Girl.

"So why..." *pant* "...are you still following me?" panted Kid E.

She shrugged. "Half of me wants to minimize collateral damage, half
wants to see the fireworks."

"Good answer!" He leapt, punching the air, and flew thru the open
doorway into the LNH Plot Device Room, making a perfect three-point
landing before skidding on the Banana Peel of Destiny and crashing into
a rack of Stuff, which, naturally, buried him.

"Oh <expletive appropriate for a character whose roots lie in 19th-
century school adventure>!" Footnote Girl dug frantically at the pile
of Stuff before Kid E popped out, completely unharmed and holding a
pair of armbands.

"Here we go!" he said, putting them on.

"What are those?" FG said, looking askance at the fashion accessories.

"The Bands of Timeslide! As you know, in many works of fiction that
maintain a coherent cast of characters for long enough (such as the
universe we live in), there's a sliding timescale that adjusts for the
fact that the amount of time that's passed since the work began in the
real world isn't the same amount of time that's passed in-story. These
bands allow one to use that effect as a way of traveling in time -
essentially, instead of traveling into the past, you can bring the past
to you!"

Footnote Girl reached up and pulled the Goggles of Extraneous
Exposition off Kid Enthusiastic's face. "Okay, so how do they work?"

"Hmmmm... looks like you tweak this knob to pick an event in LNH
history... Beige Midnight... Retcon Hour... the Valentine's Day Ball...
that time Carmen Sanfrancisco stole the LNHQ... the day Cheesecake-Eater
Lad served pop-rocks-and-coke flavor... Anything-You-Can-Do-I-Can-Do-
Better Lad's bar mitzvah... Young Americans..."

"That's Omega."

"Right, sorry.... Here we go! Shortly Before The Cosmic Plot Device
Caper!" He raised the bands in the air dramatically.

"WAIT!" Masterplan Lad skidded in, covered in honey and feathers.

"..."

"Um, you've got a little..."

"Never mind that!" He pointed at the bands. "If you use those to bring
the founding LNHers into the year of this story's publication--"

"2013!"

"Yes, that-- you'll sap them of their powers that are based on the
early Internet and 1990s comics fandom!"

Kid E's eyes widened. "Oh <expletive appropriate for a character whose
roots lie in anime and post-Dark Age comics, which I guess would just
be 'crap' or something>! Get 'em off get 'em off!"

"Okay, yes, let me just--"

"But first, get this open box of Sneezing Powder That Works Even On
Cosmic Beings out of my hand!"

Masterplan Lad squinted. He sniffed. His face screwed up, he took a
deep breath, and...

"Haaaaa-CHOO!" CLANGG! His fingers slipped, the bands crashed together,
and there was a violent burst of light...

When it cleared, they were still in the Plot Device Room of the LNHQ,
but the rack of Stuff had hopped back up on the wall, and was filled
with unfamiliar items.

Masterplan Lad blinked, clearing his eyes. He looked up... "The Push-
Button Doomsday Weapon? The VW Scarab? The amulet of the Feminine
Mystic? Oh, no..."

"Hey," said Kid Enthusiastic, "I think maybe you tweaked the knob a
little-- why are those plot devices going all shimmery?"

"That's the effect of time catching up with us!" said Masterplan Lad.
"Fifty years of time, to be precise! Look!"

They looked out the open doorway into the hall. There were net.heroes
there, wearing long beards, psychedelic clothing, and symbols of love
and peace - and they were shimmering, changing...

"These are backstory characters, created specifically to be tied to
this one time period! Dragging them into the present shouldn't even be
possible, but you've done it!"

Footnote Girl held the band up to her face. The indicator above the
knob just read "1963". "Oh, no..."

"You've RUINED THE LEGION OF NET.HIPPIES FOREVER!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

<---------------------->

Author's Note: Oddly enough, this issue started with an image that
didn't make it in: the characters meeting the pre-CPDC LNH, where
members were popping in and out of existence all the time, as later
writers changed things to fit the needs of later stories. I'll give
that one up to whoever wants it.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, jumpin' jet age!

From: Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Date: Sun Mar 3 23:12:47 PST 2013

___ ___________________________
| |-| \ #54
| |-| [] / 'Fix Fic'
| | | [] egion of \ (Kinda Sorta Part of High Concept
| | | []__ [] [] [] [] / Challenge #35)
| | | [___][ \[]et.[]__[]eroes \
| | | []\ ] [ __ ] / Written by and copyright
| |-| [] [] [] [] \ Andrew Perron, 2013
| |-|___________________________/
| |
| | [ The cover is Kid Enthusiastic carefully taping The Might of
| | Cap'n Quaalude #52 back together. At the left and right edges,
| | Masterplan Lad and Footnote Girl can be seen from the chest down;
| | their arms are crossed, and their poses are stern. A tiny speech
| | bubble says, "heh... sorry..." ]
|_|

Click here to read the complete article
Re: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #229: LNH vII #53-54

<sumsl0$3ui$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1361&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1361

From: mrfantas...@gmail.com (Jeanne Morningstar)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: Re: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #229: LNH vII #53-54
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 01:27:08 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Jeanne Morningstar - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 01:27 UTC

A really fun story, and one that set up one of the best long-running
plots we've had. I loved the way MPL is written here. I really enjoyed
Drew's conclusion to it in HHS, too, and it's fitting they got to wrap
it up considering they started it here.

(I'm definitely going to use the Time Door for something someday, though.)

It's also another example of a plotline that worked a lot better than
its Big Two comics equivalent (the time travelling O5 X-Men).

Jeanne Morningstar