arts / rec.arts.tv / Lexus... December to Remember

SubjectAuthor
* Lexus... December to RememberBTR1701
+- Re: Lexus... December to RememberAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Lexus... December to Rememberanim8rfsk
|+* Re: Lexus... December to Remembershawn
||+* Re: Lexus... December to Rememberanim8rfsk
|||`* Re: Lexus... December to RememberA Friend
||| `- Re: Lexus... December to Rememberanim8rfsk
||`- Re: Lexus... December to RememberMicky DuPree
|`* Re: Lexus... December to RemembermoviePig
| +* Re: Lexus... December to Remembershawn
| |+* Re: Lexus... December to Rememberanim8rfsk
| ||`- Re: Lexus... December to RemembermoviePig
| |+* Re: Lexus... December to RememberBTR1701
| ||+* Re: Lexus... December to Rememberanim8rfsk
| ||+* Re: Lexus... December to Remembershawn
| ||+- Re: Lexus... December to RemembermoviePig
| ||`* Re: Lexus... December to RememberEd Stasiak
| || `* Re: Lexus... December to Remembershawn
| ||  `* Re: Lexus... December to RememberAdam H. Kerman
| ||   `- Re: Lexus... December to Rememberanim8rfsk
| |`- Re: Lexus... December to RememberA Friend
| `- Re: Lexus... December to Remembertrotsky
`* Re: Lexus... December to Remembersuper70s
 `* Re: Lexus... December to RememberBTR1701
  `- Re: Lexus... December to RememberUbiquitous

Pages:12
Lexus... December to Remember

<hqidnfIMvaYR81b8nZ2dnUU7-efNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133417&group=rec.arts.tv#133417

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Lexus... December to Remember
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:07:40 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:07 UTC

"December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<sqfr60$rma$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133421&group=rec.arts.tv#133421

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Lexus... December to Remember
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:13:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:13 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>"December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
>financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.

Who keeps the car payments?

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<1317116973.662418623.658597.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133427&group=rec.arts.tv#133427

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:15:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:15 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.

My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually forgave
him.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<rm2nsgpe7sii61fcs64utq52j81vple5ak@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133432&group=rec.arts.tv#133432

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:09:47 -0500
 by: shawn - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:09 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:15:06 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
>> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.
>>

>My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
>telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
>and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
>nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually forgave
>him.

Sounds like it may have been his dream house but not hers. Which is
always the problem with something that isn't just for your use so it's
best to get input from everyone before making such a large purchase.
Even if they love the idea at least then they feel involved in the
decision.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<I7MyJ.23$jW.15@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133433&group=rec.arts.tv#133433

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500
 by: moviePig - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:23 UTC

On 12/28/2021 4:15 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
>> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.
>>

> My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
> nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually forgave
> him.

15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
living-room you can land a plane in..."

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<158nsg5kcq6hkeo2dgmraonbmbotldp9ue@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133439&group=rec.arts.tv#133439

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:44:59 -0500
 by: shawn - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:44 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 12/28/2021 4:15 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
>>> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.
>>>

>> My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
>> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
>> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
>> nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually forgave
>> him.
>
>15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
>living-room you can land a plane in..."

Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
individual rooms don't seem too huge.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<523531935.662428227.601271.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133440&group=rec.arts.tv#133440

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:04:52 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:04 UTC

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:

>>> My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
>>> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
>>> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
>>> nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually forgave
>>> him.
>>
>> 15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
>> living-room you can land a plane in..."
>
> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
> individual rooms don't seem too huge.

The master bedroom was huge (if I recall correctly it included a spa tub)
and the daughters bedrooms were a reasonable size for a teenager. They
seemed more expansive because they were upstairs and actually had windows
that opened onto a walkway on the inside of the house. The kitchen was
gigantic and had a servants quarters off of it. I think they had something
like eight people there full-time and up to 17 when the girls were home
from school and such!

Unfortunately the guy who built the subdivision was a crook and they
actually came and got him and the news cameras caught him jumping in to a
car with a small suitcase and making a run for the border.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<760729786.662428530.907809.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133441&group=rec.arts.tv#133441

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:04:52 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:04 UTC

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:15:06 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
>>> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.
>>>

>> My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
>> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
>> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
>> nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually forgave
>> him.
>
> Sounds like it may have been his dream house but not hers. Which is
> always the problem with something that isn't just for your use so it's
> best to get input from everyone before making such a large purchase.
> Even if they love the idea at least then they feel involved in the
> decision.

They did get divorced eventually and he traded down for a truly evil woman.
I recently asked her on the Facebook if she was truly evil or simply insane
and the bitch blocked me.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<WbmdnQU7lMWxL1b8nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133444&group=rec.arts.tv#133444

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:56:12 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:56 UTC

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:

>>> My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
>>> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
>>> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
>>> nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually forgave
>>> him.
>>
>> 15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
>> living-room you can land a plane in..."
>
> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
> individual rooms don't seem too huge.

I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the Palace of
Versailles. When I was at Oprah's place in Montecito, I kept thinking to
myself, why? Even if I had a billion dollars, the last thing I'd want is a
house so big it requires a 20-person staff to run it. Never having a moment
when it's just you in your own home, always having to make sure you put
pants on before leaving your bedroom because there are maids and cooks and
butlers everywhere. Just not for me. It'd be like living in a hotel full
time.

I'd spend the money on the land rather than the house. I'd much prefer
something like Kevin Costner's character has on YELLOWSTONE-- a relatively
modest home nestled on a ranch in a valley between two mountain ranges and
owning everything as far as he can see.

Or a normal house set on a gorgeous beach-front lot in Hawaii where I can
string a hammock between two palm trees and my Golden Retriever and I can
watch the world go by between naps and snorkeling and paddle boarding
sessions.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<912818403.662432743.480924.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133445&group=rec.arts.tv#133445

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:07:23 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:07 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
>>> living-room you can land a plane in..."
>>
>> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
>> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
>> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
>> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
>> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
>> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
>> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
>> individual rooms don't seem too huge.
>
> I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the Palace of
> Versailles. When I was at Oprah's place in Montecito, I kept thinking to
> myself, why? Even if I had a billion dollars, the last thing I'd want is a
> house so big it requires a 20-person staff to run it. Never having a moment
> when it's just you in your own home, always having to make sure you put
> pants on before leaving your bedroom because there are maids and cooks and
> butlers everywhere. Just not for me. It'd be like living in a hotel full
> time.
>
> I'd spend the money on the land rather than the house. I'd much prefer
> something like Kevin Costner's character has on YELLOWSTONE-- a relatively
> modest home nestled on a ranch in a valley between two mountain ranges and
> owning everything as far as he can see.
>
> Or a normal house set on a gorgeous beach-front lot in Hawaii where I can
> string a hammock between two palm trees and my Golden Retriever and I can
> watch the world go by between naps and snorkeling and paddle boarding
> sessions.

But once you have 17 people living with you you’re pretty much running a
hotel anyway.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<fninsgd78390eieisnmh4dl8ivik5c957k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133451&group=rec.arts.tv#133451

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:07:35 -0500
 by: shawn - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:07 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:56:12 -0600, BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
>>> living-room you can land a plane in..."
>>
>> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
>> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
>> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
>> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
>> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
>> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
>> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
>> individual rooms don't seem too huge.
>
>I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the Palace of
>Versailles. When I was at Oprah's place in Montecito, I kept thinking to
>myself, why? Even if I had a billion dollars, the last thing I'd want is a
>house so big it requires a 20-person staff to run it. Never having a moment
>when it's just you in your own home, always having to make sure you put
>pants on before leaving your bedroom because there are maids and cooks and
>butlers everywhere. Just not for me. It'd be like living in a hotel full
>time.

I get it to some degree for the mega-celebrities. The people who can't
go anywhere without being recognized. For them going out for
entertainment is always going to be a bit of a hassle so having
everything from a basketball/tennis court to a bowling alley or small
movie theater in the home can make sense. Even so it helps if the
rooms are built on a more normal scale as even the largest of homes
can feel somewhat comfy if designed right.

It's those homes that are like The One in California that make zero
sense to me as the scale of each room is off the charts. They are
designed more like museums or malls. The video I linked below shows an
example of something that was built without considering it as a place
people would actually live in. It's more of a show place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H2xmRseiDw

>I'd spend the money on the land rather than the house. I'd much prefer
>something like Kevin Costner's character has on YELLOWSTONE-- a relatively
>modest home nestled on a ranch in a valley between two mountain ranges and
>owning everything as far as he can see.

Or what Walt Longmire had. Though I don't think Ted Turner is hurting
either as he has both the huge home AND the huge property. Now this is
another alternative that I could deal with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UiokDqeUS0

This is a lovely place that used to be owned by John Travolta has
plenty of space between you and your neighbors. More if you keep all
three homes and just use the two extras for guests/family. Though with
the amount of space inside and outside that needs to be maintained
there's still a need for a staff.

>Or a normal house set on a gorgeous beach-front lot in Hawaii where I can
>string a hammock between two palm trees and my Golden Retriever and I can
>watch the world go by between naps and snorkeling and paddle boarding
>sessions.

Speaking of which how the hell is that Special Agent on NCIS Hawaii
supposed to be able to afford the home she and her family are living
in. It may not be on the beach but oh my is it a spacious home for a
place like Hawaii.

Here is another example where you need a staff but the home is at
least on a more human level of the mega mansion and it's owned by
Oprah and it's in Hawaii.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLz4vwM5pGI

Or this compound in Hawaii that looks lovely but is again so large it
requires a staff to maintain it. That said given that it was owned by
Pierce Brosnan I can see why he would want to stay on the property
most of the time and avoid the crowds that would likely gather where
ever he went.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAdwq2lfgU

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<c8knsgp7bja4gertr55lsd053jo06b7hsi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133453&group=rec.arts.tv#133453

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:11:08 -0500
 by: shawn - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:11 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:07:23 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
>>> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
>>> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
>>> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
>>> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
>>> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
>>> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
>>> individual rooms don't seem too huge.
>>
>> I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the Palace of
>> Versailles. When I was at Oprah's place in Montecito, I kept thinking to
>> myself, why? Even if I had a billion dollars, the last thing I'd want is a
>> house so big it requires a 20-person staff to run it. Never having a moment
>> when it's just you in your own home, always having to make sure you put
>> pants on before leaving your bedroom because there are maids and cooks and
>> butlers everywhere. Just not for me. It'd be like living in a hotel full
>> time.
>>
>> I'd spend the money on the land rather than the house. I'd much prefer
>> something like Kevin Costner's character has on YELLOWSTONE-- a relatively
>> modest home nestled on a ranch in a valley between two mountain ranges and
>> owning everything as far as he can see.
>>
>> Or a normal house set on a gorgeous beach-front lot in Hawaii where I can
>> string a hammock between two palm trees and my Golden Retriever and I can
>> watch the world go by between naps and snorkeling and paddle boarding
>> sessions.
>>

>But once you have 17 people living with you you’re pretty much running a
>hotel anyway.

True, but typically I imagine it is much like on the mega-yachts where
there is a house manager that handles all of the day to day routine
decisions and there are areas that are dedicated to the owner where
the staff won't go unless they know the owner isn't around. So the
owner can sleep in knowing they won't be bothered and yet still end up
having their bed made and clothes washed when they aren't around. It
seems strange but somehow they manage it so that the owner may only
end up seeing/dealing with one person that brings them their
coffee/food even though there may be multiple people working around
them.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<281220212215172040%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133455&group=rec.arts.tv#133455

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:15:17 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:15 UTC

In article
<760729786.662428530.907809.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:15:06 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> > wrote:

> >> My dad¹s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
> >> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
> >> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
> >> nicest house I¹ve ever been in but I don¹t think she ever actually forgave
> >> him.
> >
> > Sounds like it may have been his dream house but not hers. Which is
> > always the problem with something that isn't just for your use so it's
> > best to get input from everyone before making such a large purchase.
> > Even if they love the idea at least then they feel involved in the
> > decision.
> >

> They did get divorced eventually and he traded down for a truly evil woman.
> I recently asked her on the Facebook if she was truly evil or simply insane
> and the bitch blocked me.

At least your question got answered.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<0sQyJ.37243$a24.12148@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133457&group=rec.arts.tv#133457

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:18:20 -0500
 by: moviePig - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:18 UTC

On 12/28/2021 7:04 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
>>> living-room you can land a plane in..."
>>
>> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
>> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
>> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
>> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
>> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
>> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
>> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
>> individual rooms don't seem too huge.
>>

> The master bedroom was huge (if I recall correctly it included a spa tub)
> and the daughters bedrooms were a reasonable size for a teenager. They
> seemed more expansive because they were upstairs and actually had windows
> that opened onto a walkway on the inside of the house. The kitchen was
> gigantic and had a servants quarters off of it. I think they had something
> like eight people there full-time and up to 17 when the girls were home
> from school and such!
>
> Unfortunately the guy who built the subdivision was a crook and they
> actually came and got him and the news cameras caught him jumping in to a
> car with a small suitcase and making a run for the border.

Should've hidden in one of the 23 bedrooms...

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<281220212219045665%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133458&group=rec.arts.tv#133458

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:19:04 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:19 UTC

In article <158nsg5kcq6hkeo2dgmraonbmbotldp9ue@4ax.com>, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
> wrote:

> >> My dad¹s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
> >> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family into it
> >> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
> >> nicest house I¹ve ever been in but I don¹t think she ever actually forgave
> >> him.
> >
> >15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
> >living-room you can land a plane in..."
>
> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
> individual rooms don't seem too huge.

We had a Maryland lottery winner from around here who got talked into
building a huge house near the border with Pennsylvania. It's at the
intersection of two "blue highways" and I just don't see how people can
live in that kind of thing. It comes off like a not particularly
inviting ski lodge.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<IuQyJ.37244$a24.30784@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133459&group=rec.arts.tv#133459

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:21:12 -0500
 by: moviePig - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:21 UTC

On 12/28/2021 7:56 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:23:36 -0500, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 15,000 sq. ft.? To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
>>> living-room you can land a plane in..."
>>
>> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
>> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
>> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
>> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
>> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
>> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
>> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
>> individual rooms don't seem too huge.
>
> I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the Palace of
> Versailles. When I was at Oprah's place in Montecito, I kept thinking to
> myself, why? Even if I had a billion dollars, the last thing I'd want is a
> house so big it requires a 20-person staff to run it. Never having a moment
> when it's just you in your own home, always having to make sure you put
> pants on before leaving your bedroom because there are maids and cooks and
> butlers everywhere. Just not for me. It'd be like living in a hotel full
> time.
>
> I'd spend the money on the land rather than the house. I'd much prefer
> something like Kevin Costner's character has on YELLOWSTONE-- a relatively
> modest home nestled on a ranch in a valley between two mountain ranges and
> owning everything as far as he can see.
>
> Or a normal house set on a gorgeous beach-front lot in Hawaii where I can
> string a hammock between two palm trees and my Golden Retriever and I can
> watch the world go by between naps and snorkeling and paddle boarding
> sessions.

Where you can slip off your shoes, and dangle your feet in the lava...

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<ReWdnTR_-dWVQ1b8nZ2dnUU7-I_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133464&group=rec.arts.tv#133464

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:03:20 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 04:03 UTC

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:56:12 -0600, BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Having used Youtube videos on these sorts of Super Mansions as a way
>>> to relax I can say it's all too common for them to be built on a scale
>>> that isn't for normal humans. Then there are the rare homes that are
>>> built on a human scale even though they include a tremendous amount of
>>> space. The same thing shows up in those mega yachts. While a ship like
>>> Octopus (Paul Allen of Msft fame's former ship) is huge and includes
>>> everything you might see on a cruise ship as entertainment, the
>>> individual rooms don't seem too huge.
>>
>> I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the Palace of
>> Versailles. When I was at Oprah's place in Montecito, I kept thinking to
>> myself, why? Even if I had a billion dollars, the last thing I'd want is a
>> house so big it requires a 20-person staff to run it. Never having a moment
>> when it's just you in your own home, always having to make sure you put
>> pants on before leaving your bedroom because there are maids and cooks and
>> butlers everywhere. Just not for me. It'd be like living in a hotel full
>> time.
>
> I get it to some degree for the mega-celebrities. The people who can't
> go anywhere without being recognized. For them going out for
> entertainment is always going to be a bit of a hassle so having
> everything from a basketball/tennis court to a bowling alley or small
> movie theater in the home can make sense. Even so it helps if the
> rooms are built on a more normal scale as even the largest of homes
> can feel somewhat comfy if designed right.
>
> It's those homes that are like The One in California that make zero
> sense to me as the scale of each room is off the charts. They are
> designed more like museums or malls. The video I linked below shows an
> example of something that was built without considering it as a place
> people would actually live in. It's more of a show place.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H2xmRseiDw

I've driven past that place many times. It's right down the street from
Trump's SecTreas, Steve Mnuchin's house. I used to pick up OT volunteering
to drive the limo in the motorcade when he'd come home to L.A. on the
weekends and I'd see that monstrosity every time. The helipad is especially
ridiculous because it's illegal to land and take off in a helicopter in
L.A. anywhere except at an airport. (Yes, all those mega-rich celebrities
and movie moguls have to sit in traffic just like everyone else.) So the
helipad and the helicopter that sits on it are just huge useless
decorations.

> Or this compound in Hawaii that looks lovely but is again so large it
> requires a staff to maintain it. That said given that it was owned by
> Pierce Brosnan I can see why he would want to stay on the property
> most of the time and avoid the crowds that would likely gather where
> ever he went.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAdwq2lfgU

I wonder if he's one of those Malibu jerks who thinks he owns the beach in
front of his house and has his staff chase off any normals who come
along...

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<2057509014.662452468.062027.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133484&group=rec.arts.tv#133484

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:46:27 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:46 UTC

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:07:23 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the Palace of
>>> Versailles. When I was at Oprah's place in Montecito, I kept thinking to
>>> myself, why? Even if I had a billion dollars, the last thing I'd want is a
>>> house so big it requires a 20-person staff to run it. Never having a moment
>>> when it's just you in your own home, always having to make sure you put
>>> pants on before leaving your bedroom because there are maids and cooks and
>>> butlers everywhere. Just not for me. It'd be like living in a hotel full
>>> time.
>>>
>>> I'd spend the money on the land rather than the house. I'd much prefer
>>> something like Kevin Costner's character has on YELLOWSTONE-- a relatively
>>> modest home nestled on a ranch in a valley between two mountain ranges and
>>> owning everything as far as he can see.
>>>
>>> Or a normal house set on a gorgeous beach-front lot in Hawaii where I can
>>> string a hammock between two palm trees and my Golden Retriever and I can
>>> watch the world go by between naps and snorkeling and paddle boarding
>>> sessions.
>>>

>> But once you have 17 people living with you you’re pretty much running a
>> hotel anyway.
>
> True, but typically I imagine it is much like on the mega-yachts where
> there is a house manager that handles all of the day to day routine
> decisions and there are areas that are dedicated to the owner where
> the staff won't go unless they know the owner isn't around. So the
> owner can sleep in knowing they won't be bothered and yet still end up
> having their bed made and clothes washed when they aren't around. It
> seems strange but somehow they manage it so that the owner may only
> end up seeing/dealing with one person that brings them their
> coffee/food even though there may be multiple people working around
> them.

My friends house, I don’t think there was ever privacy or anything but
chaos at any time in any room. The parents bedroom might have been an
exception. As far as I know the staff was only two people, a couple. I
think the 17 kids probably all had chores to do.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<1772314304.662452677.839554.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133485&group=rec.arts.tv#133485

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:46:28 -0700

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <760729786.662428530.907809.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds like it may have been his dream house but not hers. Which is
>>> always the problem with something that isn't just for your use so it's
>>> best to get input from everyone before making such a large purchase.
>>> Even if they love the idea at least then they feel involved in the
>>> decision.
>>>

>> They did get divorced eventually and he traded down for a truly evil woman.
>> I recently asked her on the Facebook if she was truly evil or simply insane
>> and the bitch blocked me.
>

> At least your question got answered.

Lol

Seriously, she has some kind of voodoo bullshit shop in Sedona and a multi
million dollar house and she lurks on Facebook and tells people who just
got diagnosis of cancer not to go to a doctor but to buy her magic juju
beads instead.

She really belongs in prison.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<sqhiuu$u1g$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133502&group=rec.arts.tv#133502

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:05:53 -0600
 by: trotsky - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:05 UTC

On 12/28/2021 4:23 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/28/2021 4:15 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
>>> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.
>>>

>> My dad’s best friend bought a 15,000 square-foot dream house without
>> telling his wife who is out of town and moved their extended family
>> into it
>> and then brought her there from the airport when she got home. It was the
>> nicest house I’ve ever been in but I don’t think she ever actually
>> forgave
>> him.
>
> 15,000 sq. ft.?  To quote Dudley Moore in ARTHUR: "I *like* a
> living-room you can land a plane in..."

My favorite was "It's a very small country, they recently had it carpeted."

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<super70s-7DE34A.14471829122021@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133574&group=rec.arts.tv#133574

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:47:18 -0600
 by: super70s - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 20:47 UTC

In article <hqidnfIMvaYR81b8nZ2dnUU7-efNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.

How about the GMC one -- the husband gives a wife a puppy (200 bucks at
most maybe) and the wife gives the husband a monster $60K GMC truck.

Let's hope the puppy is kept out of the driveway because there's no way
you could see it backing out in a tank like that.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<vtudnaRh3phBRVH8nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133589&group=rec.arts.tv#133589

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:53:32 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:53 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

> In article <hqidnfIMvaYR81b8nZ2dnUU7-efNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "December to Remember" - the event where your spouse makes a massive
>> financial decision without your input and then y'all get a divorce.
>
> How about the GMC one -- the husband gives a wife a puppy (200 bucks at
> most maybe) and the wife gives the husband a monster $60K GMC truck.
>
> Let's hope the puppy is kept out of the driveway because there's no way
> you could see it backing out in a tank like that.

Turns out SNL did the joke before me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEylCwkSxE

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<b9b5b2ac-e84b-4a6a-8a16-75417b97ce9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133603&group=rec.arts.tv#133603

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:26:45 -0800 (PST)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 22:26 UTC

> BTR1701
>
> I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the
> Palace of Versailles.

Yeah, same here.

I was watching S03 of "Narcos Mexico" and there's a scene
where drug lord Amado Fuentes builds this huge mansion
and the morning after moving in, he's wandering around in
circles and has to ask the maid where the kitchen is, so he
can get a cup of coffee...

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<berpsgproemuem05sg584jvmoi81g14lj6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133624&group=rec.arts.tv#133624

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 18:24:35 -0500
 by: shawn - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 23:24 UTC

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:26:45 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
<edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>> BTR1701
>>
>> I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the
>> Palace of Versailles.
>
>Yeah, same here.
>
>I was watching S03 of "Narcos Mexico" and there's a scene
>where drug lord Amado Fuentes builds this huge mansion
>and the morning after moving in, he's wandering around in
>circles and has to ask the maid where the kitchen is, so he
>can get a cup of coffee...

I think that may be why so many of these mega-mansions have a little
breakfast area in or right outside the main bedroom where they
have a coffee maker and a little fridge. All so the home owner doesn't
have to spend ten minutes walking to the kitchen to get their morning
coffee.

Re: Lexus... December to Remember

<sqitv3$c7v$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133633&group=rec.arts.tv#133633

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 00:19:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 00:19 UTC

>Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:26:45 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com>:

>>>BTR1701

>>>I've never understood the desire to have a house as big as the
>>>Palace of Versailles.

>>Yeah, same here.

>>I was watching S03 of "Narcos Mexico" and there's a scene
>>where drug lord Amado Fuentes builds this huge mansion
>>and the morning after moving in, he's wandering around in
>>circles and has to ask the maid where the kitchen is, so he
>>can get a cup of coffee...

>I think that may be why so many of these mega-mansions have a little
>breakfast area in or right outside the main bedroom where they
>have a coffee maker and a little fridge. All so the home owner doesn't
>have to spend ten minutes walking to the kitchen to get their morning
>coffee.

Walking? They take the fully-automated monorail from room to room.