You will visit the Dung Pits of Glive soon.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report on

SubjectAuthor
* BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report onRichA
`* Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report onmoviePig
 +- Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report onRichA
 `* Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report onYour Name
  `- Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report onA Friend

1
BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report on

<93f68f96-f4fe-4c8c-8a06-024abdb60aaen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133396&group=rec.arts.tv#133396

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:55:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report on
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:55 UTC

They'll rarely if ever even mention cause of death with people who are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, but they bring it up in an article of a man who died at age 92??!
He obviously died of old age so the question is pretty much moot anyway, but even so, why hide the causes of deaths of younger people they way they do?

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59803766

Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report on

<3HIyJ.75932$Gco3.56921@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133406&group=rec.arts.tv#133406

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:28:14 -0500
 by: moviePig - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:28 UTC

On 12/28/2021 11:55 AM, RichA wrote:
> They'll rarely if ever even mention cause of death with people who are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, but they bring it up in an article of a man who died at age 92??!
> He obviously died of old age so the question is pretty much moot anyway, but even so, why hide the causes of deaths of younger people they way they do?
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59803766

Maybe because a younger death is more likely "controversial".

Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report on

<106c2e44-180d-4e7e-ad48-db50e02fc4fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133407&group=rec.arts.tv#133407

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:33:33 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:33 UTC

On Tuesday, 28 December 2021 at 13:28:20 UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> On 12/28/2021 11:55 AM, RichA wrote:
> > They'll rarely if ever even mention cause of death with people who are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, but they bring it up in an article of a man who died at age 92??!
> > He obviously died of old age so the question is pretty much moot anyway, but even so, why hide the causes of deaths of younger people they way they do?
> >
> > https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59803766
> Maybe because a younger death is more likely "controversial".

Censorship

Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report on

<sqfttc$2ac$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133425&group=rec.arts.tv#133425

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:00:28 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:00 UTC

On 2021-12-28 18:28:14 +0000, moviePig said:
> On 12/28/2021 11:55 AM, RichA wrote:
>>
>> They'll rarely if ever even mention cause of death with people who are
>> in their 20s, 30s, 40s, but they bring it up in an article of a man who
>> died at age 92??!
>> He obviously died of old age so the question is pretty much moot
>> anyway, but even so, why hide the causes of deaths of younger people
>> they way they do?
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59803766
>
> Maybe because a younger death is more likely "controversial".

Probably linked with "Politically Correctness" stupidity, most media
news coverage in recent years has made it a point of not ever saying
anything about someone committing suicide. They instead just say the
person "died" (and then have some text telling you places to phone for
help if you are feeling depressed, etc., which simply emphasises the
fact that is was actually suicide).

Re: BBC is weird about causes of deaths of people they report on

<281220211706228727%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133431&group=rec.arts.tv#133431

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:06:22 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:06 UTC

In article <sqfttc$2ac$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2021-12-28 18:28:14 +0000, moviePig said:
> > On 12/28/2021 11:55 AM, RichA wrote:
> >>
> >> They'll rarely if ever even mention cause of death with people who are
> >> in their 20s, 30s, 40s, but they bring it up in an article of a man who
> >> died at age 92??!
> >> He obviously died of old age so the question is pretty much moot
> >> anyway, but even so, why hide the causes of deaths of younger people
> >> they way they do?
> >>
> >> https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59803766
> >
> > Maybe because a younger death is more likely "controversial".
>
> Probably linked with "Politically Correctness" stupidity,

Speaking of stupidity, you don't just report that someone has committed
suicide unless you're sure it's a fact, e.g., there are reliable
witnesses, or there's a finding from the medical examiner or a
coroner's jury.

> most media news coverage in recent years has made it a point of not
> ever saying anything about someone committing suicide.

"Most media news coverage" doesn't mention most people's obits at all.
Only the well-known or formerly well-known get that kind of treatment.

> They instead just say the person "died" (and then have some text
> telling you places to phone for help if you are feeling depressed,
> etc., which simply emphasises the fact that is was actually suicide).

Not really, no.