It takes all kinds to fill the freeways. -- Crazy Charlie

arts / rec.arts.drwho / [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

SubjectAuthor
* [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedYour Name
+* [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedYour Name
|`- [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedBlueshirt
+- [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedYour Name
+* [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedYour Name
|`- [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedDaniel65
+- [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedDaniel65
+* [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedThe Last Doctor
|+- [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedThe Last Doctor
|`- [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedDaniel65
`- [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned%

1
[RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm0eb3$qg9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13409&group=rec.arts.drwho#13409

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:38:11 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:38 UTC

To be taken with a large hill of salt ...

Doctor Who villains Cybermen and Daleks
to get spin-off series in huge Disney deal
Doctor Who villains like the Weeping Angels and the dreaded
Daleks are as iconic as the time traveller himself and his
police box tardis, and we will be soon seeing more of them,
according to an insider.

Doctor Who adversaries such as the Cybermen and Daleks are
to get their own series, an insider says.

Showrunner Russell T Davies is pushing ahead with plans to
expand the "Whoniverse" with Marvel-style spin-offs.

It comes after the BBC struck a deal with Disney+ worth
"tens of millions"last month.

The Beeb sold the US giant the global streaming rights to
Doctor Who outside the UK. The deal means budgets on the
2024 series starring the 15th Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa, could
triple.

A source said: "Fans can expect to see Sontarans, Weeping
Angels and Sea Devils in separate series showing what they
get up to when the Doctor isn't there to stop them, along
with Daleks and Cybermen."

Speaking last year Davies said that these exciting new
projects were part of what lured him back to the BBC -
and he suggested there was even scope for a Doctor Who
dedicated channel.

"There are things coming up that are brand new ways of
telling stories that have never been done before," he
explained. "So it just feels new, I wouldn't have gone
back if it wasn't feeling new."

The showrunner already has form for expanding the Doctor
Who universe - in his first tenure as the re-boot boss
from 2005 he was behind Torchwood, starring John
Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness and The Sarah Jane
Adventures, featuring Elisabeth Sladen in the title role.

"We should be sitting here announcing The Nyssa
Adventures or The Return of Donna Noble," Davies said
last year.

"The whole science fiction world is so creative and so
money-making right now, I think your wildest dreams can
come true."

His ambitions sit well with the Disney strategy of
maximising content within franchises by creating a whole
expanded universe of overlapping characters and
timeframes.

Former showrunner Stephen Moffat expressed concerns after
he left in 2017 that without bigger budgets, Doctor Who
would be left behind by shows like Game of Thrones.

"A show that generates as much money as Doctor Who should
be getting more of it back, frankly," he declared.

Disney Plus has capitalised on Star Wars and Marvel with
spin-off series including Andor, The Mandolorian and
Loki.

The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans.

<https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-villains-cybermen-daleks-28586897>

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm0gj9$1okt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13410&group=rec.arts.drwho#13410

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 09:16:42 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:16 UTC

On 2022-11-27 19:59:14 +0000, tsbr...@gmail.com said:
> On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 11:38:19 AM UTC-8, Your Name wrote:
>> To be taken with a large hill of salt ...
>
> But it might be true, since we are far away from April Fools Day!

It's from the "Mirror" tabloid rag ... think stories like "an alien ate
my baby" and "I married my haunted car".

>> Doctor Who villains Cybermen and Daleks
>> to get spin-off series in huge Disney deal
>> Doctor Who villains like the Weeping Angels and the dreaded
>> Daleks are as iconic as the time traveller himself and his
>> police box tardis, and we will be soon seeing more of them,
>> according to an insider.
>>
>> Doctor Who adversaries such as the Cybermen and Daleks are
>> to get their own series, an insider says.
>
> So we would be seeing Cybermen assimilate people, and Daleks
> exterminate people. How could we possibly root for them?

There would probably be others to stop them, like in the other spin-off shows.

>> A source said: "Fans can expect to see Sontarans, Weeping
>> Angels and Sea Devils in separate series showing what they
>> get up to when the Doctor isn't there to stop them, along
>> with Daleks and Cybermen."
>
> Why not Silents as well?

As with the other spin-off shows, it would likely include various
baddies. They would probably also add more new baddies, who might then
appear in the "Doctor Who" episodes as well.

If Disney *is* really involved / pushing this, then it wouldn't be a
surprise for each set of baddies to have their own spin-off shows, and
cause the franchise to become a heavily fractured, contradictory, and
confusing mess, like Marvel already is and Star Wars is fast becoming.

>> <https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-villains-cybermen-daleks-28586897>

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm0gol$1rab$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13411&group=rec.arts.drwho#13411

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 09:19:33 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:19 UTC

On 2022-11-27 20:16:41 +0000, tsbr...@gmail.com said:
<snip>
> But the original post is under an hour old, so the above paragraph does
> not apply.

The Mirror's news story is dated at "20:00, 25 Nov 2022" (their time).

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<nnd$7422beec$1158c279@17995adda9bc9a18>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13413&group=rec.arts.drwho#13413

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:36:28 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:36 UTC

Your Name wrote:

> On 2022-11-27 19:59:14 +0000, tsbr...@gmail.com said:
> > On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 11:38:19 AM UTC-8, Your Name wrote:
> > > To be taken with a large hill of salt ...
> >
> > But it might be true, since we are far away from April Fools Day!
>
> It's from the "Mirror" tabloid rag ... think stories like "an alien
> ate my baby" and "I married my haunted car".

The Daily Mirror hasn't been too bad with it's Doctor Who stories...
not always 100% correct, but there's generally been something behind
their enthusiastic journalism.

And "An Alien Ate My Baby" sounds more like the efforts of a Sun
journalist than The Mirror's!

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm100q$1npi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13421&group=rec.arts.drwho#13421

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:39:54 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 00:39 UTC

On 2022-11-28 00:03:52 +0000, tsbr...@gmail.com said:
> On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 2:07:13 PM UTC-8, netk...@gmail.com wrote:
>> In article <tm0gol$1rab$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>> On 2022-11-27 20:16:41 +0000, tsbr...@gmail.com said:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> The Mirror's news story is dated at "20:00, 25 Nov 2022" (their time).
>>
>> 2 days ago!
>
> Far less than the month specified in your spamtrolling specification.
> You keep saying "If the original post is over a month old,
> Tim's desparate spamtrolling, noted!". 2 days is less than a month!

Maybe not if you're a time traveller - you could have been gone 2 days
local time, but in your time it was months or years. ;-)

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm21a8$1uscs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13433&group=rec.arts.drwho#13433

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 21:08:11 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 10:08 UTC

The Doctor wrote on 28/11/22 7:02 am:
> In article <tm0eb3$qg9$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

<Snip>

>> <https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-villains-cybermen-daleks-28586897>
>>

> VERY large hiils of salt!

"hiils"??
--
Daniel

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm2fk3$2003i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13435&group=rec.arts.drwho#13435

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 14:12:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Nm24Q9bPxqw/asOoe4wiIjj5g24=
 by: The Last Doctor - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 14:12 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbrueni@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 11:38:19 AM UTC-8, Your Name wrote:
>> To be taken with a large hill of salt ...
>
> But it might be true, since we are far away from April Fools Day!

We’re never far from a Fool’s Day while we have you and Dave Yadallee
around, Tim.

In fact, has there ever been a day when neither of you has posted?

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.

They must be /fought/.

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<4MidnXjhxuUBiBj-nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13438&group=rec.arts.drwho#13438

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
From: pursent...@gmail.com (%)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:10:03 -0700
 by: % - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 20:10 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, November 28, 2022 at 7:26:05 AM UTC-8, netk...@gmail.com wrote:
>> In article <747ad6b9-5b43-4818...@googlegroups.com>,
>> tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I was going by the timing of Your Name's post (11:38 AM my time on Nov
>>> 27, 2022).
>> And based on GMt ...
>
> 7:38 PM. But still November 27.

and a perfect time to take your medicine

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm34mh$21osq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13439&group=rec.arts.drwho#13439

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 20:12:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FW0kiGxxD1eRppMo7NsrlnN0VWk=
 by: The Last Doctor - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 20:12 UTC

The Idiot <idiot@idiot.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:
>> tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbrueni@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But it might be true, since we are far away from April Fools Day!
>>
>> We’re never far from a Fool’s Day while we have you and Dave Yadallee
>> around, Tim.
>>
>> In fact, has there ever been a day when neither of you has posted?
>
> And if Tim leaves ....

Then if you do not post on a day, that will indeed not be a Fool’s Day. But
if you do, it still will be.

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.
Things which act against everything we believe in.

They must be /fought/.

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm4hb5$282dg$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13449&group=rec.arts.drwho#13449

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 19:54:01 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 08:54 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com wrote on 28/11/22 9:23 pm:
> On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 5:29:03 PM UTC-8, netk...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>> In article <tm100q$1npi$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
>> <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe not if you're a time traveller - you could have been gone 2
>>> days local time, but in your time it was months or years. ;-)
>>>
>> Good one!
>
> Are you sating that you are a time traveler?

"sating??
--
Daniel

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm4hjo$282dg$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13450&group=rec.arts.drwho#13450

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 19:58:36 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 08:58 UTC

The Doctor wrote on 29/11/22 2:27 am:
> In article <tm2fk3$2003i$1@dont-email.me>, The Last Doctor
> <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:
>> tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbrueni@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But it might be true, since we are far away from April Fools
>>> Day!
>>
>> We’re never far from a Fool’s Day while we have you and Dave
>> Yadallee around, Tim.
>>
>> In fact, has there ever been a day when neither of you has posted?
>
> And if Tim leaves ....

"And if Tim leaves ....", WILL YOU LEAVE, TOO, asswipe??
--
Daniel