From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Subject: Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:45:03 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:45 UTC

Your Name wrote:

> From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
> Subject: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:38:11 +1300
>
> To be taken with a large hill of salt ...
>

> Doctor Who villains Cybermen and Daleks
> to get spin-off series in huge Disney deal
> Doctor Who villains like the Weeping Angels and the dreaded
> Daleks are as iconic as the time traveller himself and his
> police box tardis, and we will be soon seeing more of them,
> according to an insider.
>
> Doctor Who adversaries such as the Cybermen and Daleks are
> to get their own series, an insider says.
>
> Showrunner Russell T Davies is pushing ahead with plans to
> expand the "Whoniverse" with Marvel-style spin-offs.
>
> It comes after the BBC struck a deal with Disney+ worth
> "tens of millions"last month.
>
> The Beeb sold the US giant the global streaming rights to
> Doctor Who outside the UK. The deal means budgets on the
> 2024 series starring the 15th Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa, could
> triple.
>
> A source said: "Fans can expect to see Sontarans, Weeping
> Angels and Sea Devils in separate series showing what they
> get up to when the Doctor isn't there to stop them, along
> with Daleks and Cybermen."
>
> Speaking last year Davies said that these exciting new
> projects were part of what lured him back to the BBC -
> and he suggested there was even scope for a Doctor Who
> dedicated channel.
>
> "There are things coming up that are brand new ways of
> telling stories that have never been done before," he
> explained. "So it just feels new, I wouldn't have gone
> back if it wasn't feeling new."
>
> The showrunner already has form for expanding the Doctor
> Who universe - in his first tenure as the re-boot boss
> from 2005 he was behind Torchwood, starring John
> Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness and The Sarah Jane
> Adventures, featuring Elisabeth Sladen in the title role.
>
> "We should be sitting here announcing The Nyssa
> Adventures or The Return of Donna Noble," Davies said
> last year.
>
> "The whole science fiction world is so creative and so
> money-making right now, I think your wildest dreams can
> come true."
>
> His ambitions sit well with the Disney strategy of
> maximising content within franchises by creating a whole
> expanded universe of overlapping characters and
> timeframes.
>
> Former showrunner Stephen Moffat expressed concerns after
> he left in 2017 that without bigger budgets, Doctor Who
> would be left behind by shows like Game of Thrones.
>
> "A show that generates as much money as Doctor Who should
> be getting more of it back, frankly," he declared.
>
> Disney Plus has capitalised on Star Wars and Marvel with
> spin-off series including Andor, The Mandolorian and
> Loki.
>
> The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans.

<https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-villains-cybermen-daleks-28586897>

Too early to say if the Mirror article has any substance, but I've
always thought that the Disney+ deal was likely to be more than just a
Doctor Who streaming deal long term. It's logical that Disney would
want to capitalise on having Doctor Who on its platform, so spin-offs
would make perfect sense to them.

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<XnsAF5C8866BD21Ataustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=13418&group=rec.arts.drwho#13418

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.drwho
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:24:31 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:24 UTC

"Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote in

> [...]
>> he left in 2017 that without bigger budgets, Doctor Who
>> would be left behind by shows like Game of Thrones.
>>
>> "A show that generates as much money as Doctor Who should
>> be getting more of it back, frankly," he declared.
>>
>> Disney Plus has capitalised on Star Wars and Marvel with
>> spin-off series including Andor, The Mandolorian and
>> Loki.
>>
>> The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans.
>>

> <https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-villains-cybermen
> -daleks-28586897>
>
> Too early to say if the Mirror article has any substance, but
> I've always thought that the Disney+ deal was likely to be more
> than just a Doctor Who streaming deal long term. It's logical
> that Disney would want to capitalise on having Doctor Who on its
> platform, so spin-offs would make perfect sense to them.

Indeed. They have made it clear their business model is to beat
dead horses until there's nothing left but a grease stain on the
sidewalk. Then buy another horse, becuase they clearly have no
breeding stock of their own.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn: