You will give someone a piece of your mind, which you can ill afford.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

SubjectAuthor
* NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensBTR1701
+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensEd Stasiak
|+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensYour Name
||`* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensA Friend
|| `- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensmoviePig
|`- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
+- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
+- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
|`- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliensanim8rfsk
|+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensA Friend
||+- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliensanim8rfsk
||`* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensDavid Johnston
|| +* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensAdam H. Kerman
|| |+- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
|| |+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienssuzeeq
|| |`- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensThe Horny Goat
|| `- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensA Friend
|`* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensUbiquitous
| `* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliensanim8rfsk
|  +* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensA Friend
|  |+- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
|  |+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensAdam H. Kerman
|  ||+* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienschromebook test
|  |||`* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensA Friend
|  ||| `- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensmoviePig
|  ||`- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensA Friend
|  |`- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliensanim8rfsk
|  +- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensAdam H. Kerman
|  `* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensDavid Johnston
|   `- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensAdam H. Kerman
+- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienstrotsky
`* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensRichA
 `* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienstrotsky
  `* Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for AliensRichA
   `- Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Alienstrotsky

Pages:12
Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<111905183.662835890.826120.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134541&group=rec.arts.tv#134541

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:09:50 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:09 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <2049473853.662829763.088178.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> Did they ever "forgive" Galileo?
>>
>> Yeah, they undamned him a while back. They didn¹t go so far as to admit he
>> was right, but simply said that they shouldn¹t have sent him to hell for
>> having an opposing viewpoint. I take this to mean that the Vatican still
>> holds the official position that the sun goes around the earth.
>

> Close enough. It took the church until 1992 to apologize for the harm
> it had done. If you look, though, you will find then-contemporary
> articles by priests continuing to defend the church's condemnation of
> Galileo on the basis that he hadn't followed proper procedures.
>
> And people still pay attention to these assholes?

Amazeballs, isn’t it?

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqst67$m1h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134572&group=rec.arts.tv#134572

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:07:50 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:07 UTC

On 2022-01-01 4:12 a.m., A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <613718458.662704766.570553.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> How long until we start seeing endless links from Mime about how the aliens
>>> and the Jooz are conspiring together to dominate us all?
>>>

>>> https://www.indy100.com/science-tech/nasa-experts-prepare-alien-contact-b198
>>> 3352
>>>

>> The Vatican was running an observatory in Tucson decades ago for the stated
>> purpose of being the first one to spot the aliens incoming so that they
>> could be the ones to convert them.
>>
>> It always amazes me that they were so hypocritical they even let an
>> observatory run when it¹s based on stuff like the earth going around the
>> sun.
>

> It'd be hilarious if it hadn't been so tragic. The Vatican knew that
> Earth went around the sun, that the world was round, etc., but it felt
> that the populace had to be kept ignorant. The ensuing oppression by
> the Vatican drove the governments of northern Europe out of the church,
> which broke the church's power. That's when real political and
> scientific progress started in Europe. And here we are.

Yeah...that's not real. The Vatican never tried to suppress the
knowledge that the Earth is round and didn't know that the solar system
was heliocentric. The Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real
political and scientific progress in Europe has more to do with the
invention of movable type and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made
it work.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqstql$vh4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134574&group=rec.arts.tv#134574

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:18:44 -0700
 by: David Johnston - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:18 UTC

On 2022-01-02 8:32 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>> The Vatican was running an observatory in Tucson decades ago for the stated
>>> purpose of being the first one to spot the aliens incoming so that they
>>> could be the ones to convert them.
>>>
>>> It always amazes me that they were so hypocritical they even let an
>>> observatory run when it’s based on stuff like the earth going around the
>>> sun.
>>
>> Did they ever "forgive" Galileo?
>
> Yeah, they undamned him a while back. They didn’t go so far as to admit he
> was right, but simply said that they shouldn’t have sent him to hell for
> having an opposing viewpoint. I take this to mean that the Vatican still
> holds the official position that the sun goes around the earth.

The RCC conceded the issue in 1822 when they removed Galileo's Dialogue
from the Index Prohibitorum. Although the banning of it in the first
place had more to do with calling the Pope "Simplicio" than the
scientific theory. They didn't have a problem with Copernicus.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqt0kk$6al$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134584&group=rec.arts.tv#134584

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:06:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:06 UTC

David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2022-01-01 4:12 a.m., A Friend wrote:

>>>. . .
>>It'd be hilarious if it hadn't been so tragic. The Vatican knew that
>>Earth went around the sun, that the world was round, etc., but it felt
>>that the populace had to be kept ignorant. The ensuing oppression by
>>the Vatican drove the governments of northern Europe out of the church,
>>which broke the church's power. That's when real political and
>>scientific progress started in Europe. And here we are.

>Yeah...that's not real. The Vatican never tried to suppress the
>knowledge that the Earth is round and didn't know that the solar system
>was heliocentric.

Galileo was summoned before the Inquisition multiple times, warned not
to espouse heliocentrism, then finally put on trial and forced to
denounce his heresy. The Church suppressed publication of Copernicus's
most famous work.

>The Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real political and scientific
>progress in Europe has more to do with the invention of movable type
>and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made it work.

No, Johnston. The Reformation was about individual liberty to interpret
the Bible.

How did you fail to learn the most basic facts about European history in
elementary school?

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqt0ul$ip2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134586&group=rec.arts.tv#134586

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:12:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:12 UTC

David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2022-01-02 8:32 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
>>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>>Did they ever "forgive" Galileo?

>>Yeah, they undamned him a while back. They didn’t go so far as to admit he
>>was right, but simply said that they shouldn’t have sent him to hell for
>>having an opposing viewpoint. I take this to mean that the Vatican still
>>holds the official position that the sun goes around the earth.

>The RCC conceded the issue in 1822 when they removed Galileo's Dialogue
>from the Index Prohibitorum. Although the banning of it in the first
>place had more to do with calling the Pope "Simplicio" than the
>scientific theory. They didn't have a problem with Copernicus.

Other than banning Copernicus's book...

You're such a goddam liar, Johnston.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<022c1631-1004-445a-ba44-226463380b29n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134587&group=rec.arts.tv#134587

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:15:10 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:15 UTC

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 3:06:48 PM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>It'd be hilarious if it hadn't been so tragic. The Vatican knew that
> >>Earth went around the sun, that the world was round, etc., but it felt
> >>that the populace had to be kept ignorant. The ensuing oppression by
> >>the Vatican drove the governments of northern Europe out of the church,
> >>which broke the church's power. That's when real political and
> >>scientific progress started in Europe. And here we are.
>
> >Yeah...that's not real. The Vatican never tried to suppress the
> >knowledge that the Earth is round and didn't know that the solar system
> >was heliocentric.
> Galileo was summoned before the Inquisition multiple times, warned not
> to espouse heliocentrism, then finally put on trial and forced to
> denounce his heresy. The Church suppressed publication of Copernicus's
> most famous work.
> >The Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real political and scientific
> >progress in Europe has more to do with the invention of movable type
> >and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made it work.

> No, Johnston. The Reformation was about individual liberty to interpret
> the Bible.
>
> How did you fail to learn the most basic facts about European history in
> elementary school?

Martin Luther would nail Johnstons johnson to the door of the Vatican

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqt238$l4r$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134595&group=rec.arts.tv#134595

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:31:36 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:31 UTC

On 1/2/2022 12:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> It'd be hilarious if it hadn't been so tragic. The Vatican knew that
>>> Earth went around the sun, that the world was round, etc., but it felt
>>> that the populace had to be kept ignorant. The ensuing oppression by
>>> the Vatican drove the governments of northern Europe out of the church,
>>> which broke the church's power. That's when real political and
>>> scientific progress started in Europe. And here we are.
>
>> Yeah...that's not real. The Vatican never tried to suppress the
>> knowledge that the Earth is round and didn't know that the solar system
>> was heliocentric.
>
> Galileo was summoned before the Inquisition multiple times, warned not
> to espouse heliocentrism, then finally put on trial and forced to
> denounce his heresy. The Church suppressed publication of Copernicus's
> most famous work.
>
>> The Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real political and scientific
>> progress in Europe has more to do with the invention of movable type
>> and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made it work.
>
> No, Johnston. The Reformation was about individual liberty to interpret
> the Bible.
>
> How did you fail to learn the most basic facts about European history in
> elementary school?

We didn't have european history in elementary school except in passing.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<3bb72523-99db-44f1-95ea-b2949b02feffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134597&group=rec.arts.tv#134597

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:33:34 -0800 (PST)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:33 UTC

On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 3:31:42 PM UTC-5, suzeeq wrote:
> On 1/2/2022 12:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> > David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah...that's not real. The Vatican never tried to suppress the
> >> knowledge that the Earth is round and didn't know that the solar system
> >> was heliocentric.
> >
> > Galileo was summoned before the Inquisition multiple times, warned not
> > to espouse heliocentrism, then finally put on trial and forced to
> > denounce his heresy. The Church suppressed publication of Copernicus's
> > most famous work.
> >
> >> The Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real political and scientific
> >> progress in Europe has more to do with the invention of movable type
> >> and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made it work.
> >
> > No, Johnston. The Reformation was about individual liberty to interpret
> > the Bible.
> >
> > How did you fail to learn the most basic facts about European history in
> > elementary school?
> >

> We didn't have european history in elementary school except in passing.

How can you pass a course you didn't have?

--------

Johnston should know the answer to this question...

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqt3a5$20s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134601&group=rec.arts.tv#134601

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:52:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:52 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 1/2/2022 12:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>Yeah...that's not real. The Vatican never tried to suppress the
>>>knowledge that the Earth is round and didn't know that the solar system
>>>was heliocentric.

>>Galileo was summoned before the Inquisition multiple times, warned not
>>to espouse heliocentrism, then finally put on trial and forced to
>>denounce his heresy. The Church suppressed publication of Copernicus's
>>most famous work.

>>>The Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real political and scientific
>>>progress in Europe has more to do with the invention of movable type
>>>and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made it work.

>>No, Johnston. The Reformation was about individual liberty to interpret
>>the Bible.

>>How did you fail to learn the most basic facts about European history in
>>elementary school?
>We didn't have european history in elementary school except in passing.

Whatever age you were, did you or did you not learn that the Church
suppressed publication of scientific findings in order to retain its
ability to have the final word on all thought?

Surely Johnston learned it as well, but he's being his usual nasty self.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<020120221646395112%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134616&group=rec.arts.tv#134616

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 16:46:39 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:46 UTC

In article <sqshug$vfr$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> A Friend wrote:
> >anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> >>Yeah, they undamned him a while back. They didn't go so far as to admit he
> >>was right, but simply said that they shouldn't have sent him to hell for
> >>having an opposing viewpoint. I take this to mean that the Vatican still
> >>holds the official position that the sun goes around the earth.
>
> >Close enough. It took the church until 1992 to apologize for the harm
> >it had done. If you look, though, you will find then-contemporary
> >articles by priests continuing to defend the church's condemnation of
> >Galileo on the basis that he hadn't followed proper procedures.
>
> >And people still pay attention to these assholes?
>
> Jews are all still going to Hell, right?

I'm going to hell for supporting abortion rights, so see ya there.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<020120221650017184%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134621&group=rec.arts.tv#134621

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 16:50:01 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:50 UTC

In article <47bb2938-6d23-428d-959e-986318048834n@googlegroups.com>,
chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, January 2, 2022 at 10:56:04 AM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> > A Friend wrote:

> > >Close enough. It took the church until 1992 to apologize for the harm
> > >it had done. If you look, though, you will find then-contemporary
> > >articles by priests continuing to defend the church's condemnation of
> > >Galileo on the basis that he hadn't followed proper procedures.
> >
> > >And people still pay attention to these assholes?
> > Jews are all still going to Hell, right?
>

> Jesus was a Jew. According to tradition, after the crucifixion and before
> ascending to the heavenly throne, Jesus went to hell for a couple days.

I don't know how the hell they knew, but the nuns said Jesus toured
purgatory (which is a thing they made up) and brought all the
unbaptized souls with him to heaven. One of the kids asked if this
also meant cavemen, and the nun said yes. And there goeth the
neighborhood.

> Besides, hell is more fun than heaven anyway, especially for professional
> Hollywood writers whose stock and trade has 'conflict' at it's core.
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/J944LEQXy3E/m/YcCx32BlDgAJ

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<020120221653068289%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134623&group=rec.arts.tv#134623

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 16:53:06 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:53 UTC

In article <sqst67$m1h$1@gioia.aioe.org>, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2022-01-01 4:12 a.m., A Friend wrote:
> > In article
> > <613718458.662704766.570553.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> >> The Vatican was running an observatory in Tucson decades ago for the stated
> >> purpose of being the first one to spot the aliens incoming so that they
> >> could be the ones to convert them.
> >>
> >> It always amazes me that they were so hypocritical they even let an
> >> observatory run when it1s based on stuff like the earth going around the
> >> sun.
> >

> > It'd be hilarious if it hadn't been so tragic. The Vatican knew that
> > Earth went around the sun, that the world was round, etc., but it felt
> > that the populace had to be kept ignorant. The ensuing oppression by
> > the Vatican drove the governments of northern Europe out of the church,
> > which broke the church's power. That's when real political and
> > scientific progress started in Europe. And here we are.
>
> Yeah...that's not real.

Yeah ... it sure as hell is.

> The Vatican never tried to suppress the knowledge that the Earth is
> round and didn't know that the solar system was heliocentric. The
> Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real political and scientific
> progress in Europe has more to do with the invention of movable type
> and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made it work.

I don't know where that stuff is coming from. It sounds like apologist
garbage.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqt84o$gecp$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134634&group=rec.arts.tv#134634

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 14:14:47 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:14 UTC

On 1/2/2022 12:52 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Galileo was summoned before the Inquisition multiple times, warned not
>>> to espouse heliocentrism, then finally put on trial and forced to
>>> denounce his heresy. The Church suppressed publication of Copernicus's
>>> most famous work.

>>> No, Johnston. The Reformation was about individual liberty to interpret
>>> the Bible.
>
>>> How did you fail to learn the most basic facts about European history in
>>> elementary school?
>
>> We didn't have european history in elementary school except in passing.
>
> Whatever age you were, did you or did you not learn that the Church
> suppressed publication of scientific findings in order to retain its
> ability to have the final word on all thought?

I didn't learn it in school, but after I left college.

> Surely Johnston learned it as well, but he's being his usual nasty self.

Maybe he didn't.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<020120221721436264%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134638&group=rec.arts.tv#134638

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 17:21:43 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:21 UTC

In article <sqt84o$gecp$1@solani.org>, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

> On 1/2/2022 12:52 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> > suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

> >> We didn't have european history in elementary school except in passing.
> >
> > Whatever age you were, did you or did you not learn that the Church
> > suppressed publication of scientific findings in order to retain its
> > ability to have the final word on all thought?
>
> I didn't learn it in school, but after I left college.
>
> > Surely Johnston learned it as well, but he's being his usual nasty self.
> >
> Maybe he didn't.

I went to Catholic school, so of course they taught us nothing about
this, except to call it the Protestant Revolt instead of the
Reformation.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<sqt9ld$gf57$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134646&group=rec.arts.tv#134646

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 14:40:44 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:40 UTC

On 1/2/2022 2:21 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <sqt84o$gecp$1@solani.org>, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Whatever age you were, did you or did you not learn that the Church
>>> suppressed publication of scientific findings in order to retain its
>>> ability to have the final word on all thought?
>>
>> I didn't learn it in school, but after I left college.
>>
>>> Surely Johnston learned it as well, but he's being his usual nasty self.
>>>
>> Maybe he didn't.
>

> I went to Catholic school, so of course they taught us nothing about
> this, except to call it the Protestant Revolt instead of the
> Reformation.

Yeah, it may have been mentioned in my parochial elementary school. I
read a lot of historical fiction in high school so learned an
alternative version of the heretical uprising.

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<aWpAJ.134223$SR4.49737@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134649&group=rec.arts.tv#134649

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:45:26 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:45 UTC

On 1/2/2022 4:50 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <47bb2938-6d23-428d-959e-986318048834n@googlegroups.com>,
> chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Jews are all still going to Hell, right?
>>

>> Jesus was a Jew. According to tradition, after the crucifixion and before
>> ascending to the heavenly throne, Jesus went to hell for a couple days.
>

> I don't know how the hell they knew, but the nuns said Jesus toured
> purgatory (which is a thing they made up) and brought all the
> unbaptized souls with him to heaven. One of the kids asked if this
> also meant cavemen, and the nun said yes. And there goeth the
> neighborhood.

Not so(eth). There are worse visions of Heaven than a giant man-cave...

Re: NASA Hires Religious Experts to Prepare Humanity for Aliens

<ldb6tgh99aerbsk6fka2mc2r1sqop73bpu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=134763&group=rec.arts.tv#134763

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 09:14:44 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 17:14 UTC

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:06:44 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>The Reformation wasn't about astronomy and real political and scientific
>>progress in Europe has more to do with the invention of movable type
>>and the sticky ink and cheap paper that made it work.
>
>No, Johnston. The Reformation was about individual liberty to interpret
>the Bible.
>
>How did you fail to learn the most basic facts about European history in
>elementary school?

While you're right I think it's now quite clear the power of the
Reformers' message was amplified by the printing press and may well
have been suppressed as previous would-be reformers had been before
the era of the printing press.

Would Jan Hus have been burned had his ideas been distributed by the
press? Would Martin Luther have been burned without it? I'd argue the
answers are no and yes respectively.