Baby On Board.

arts / rec.music.classical.guitar / Re: History of the guitar

SubjectAuthor
* History of the guitarJohn
`* Re: History of the guitarMatt Faunce
 `* Re: History of the guitarMurdick
  +- Re: History of the guitarMatt Faunce
  `* Re: History of the guitarJohn
   `- Re: History of the guitarSteven Bornfeld

1
History of the guitar

<62bf7879-c923-4d24-a0fe-26b1c2179296n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1339&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1339

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 11:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: History of the guitar
From: johnreth...@gmail.com (John)
 by: John - Tue, 11 May 2021 18:32 UTC

Or at least the last 5000 years. Interesting video.

https://www.openculture.com/2021/05/the-history-of-the-guitar-in-7-instruments.html

John R.

Re: History of the guitar

<s7pc31$143$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1350&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1350

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Subject: Re: History of the guitar
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 20:48:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:r18sizc+/Pm6p9SdQhLnbOZt2lA=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:48 UTC

John <johnrethorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or at least the last 5000 years. Interesting video.
>
> https://www.openculture.com/2021/05/the-history-of-the-guitar-in-7-instruments.html
>
> John R.

That court lutenists were spies made me laugh. I remember one time I was
playing guitar for a bridal shop, and right in front of me while I was
playing, some guests, a bride-to-be and her friend, were talking about
wanting to make their wedding invitations themselves by copying one of the
designs that were on display. They asked the owner if they could take some
samples of wedding invitations home with them so they can mull over their
decision of which one to buy. I listened carefully in case the owner okayed
their request, at which point I would have spoken up, but to my relief the
owner didn’t OK it. I told her about it afterwards.

Of course, in this case, I wasn’t the spy, but it struck me how carelessly
they plotted their scheme right in front of me, as if I wasn’t there. Or,
maybe they thought I was so concentrated on playing the music that I
wouldn’t be able to hear them.

--
Matt

Re: History of the guitar

<5fac9877-3778-4831-b54a-f1827eb5fec4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1361&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1361

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 06:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: lutem...@aol.com (Murdick)
 by: Murdick - Sun, 23 May 2021 13:52 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:48:36 PM UTC-5, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
> John <johnre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Or at least the last 5000 years. Interesting video.
> >
> > https://www.openculture.com/2021/05/the-history-of-the-guitar-in-7-instruments.html
> >
> > John R.
> >
> That court lutenists were spies made me laugh. I remember one time I was
> playing guitar for a bridal shop, and right in front of me while I was
> playing, some guests, a bride-to-be and her friend, were talking about
> wanting to make their wedding invitations themselves by copying one of the
> designs that were on display. They asked the owner if they could take some
> samples of wedding invitations home with them so they can mull over their
> decision of which one to buy. I listened carefully in case the owner okayed
> their request, at which point I would have spoken up, but to my relief the
> owner didn’t OK it. I told her about it afterwards.
>
> Of course, in this case, I wasn’t the spy, but it struck me how carelessly
> they plotted their scheme right in front of me, as if I wasn’t there. Or,
> maybe they thought I was so concentrated on playing the music that I
> wouldn’t be able to hear them.
>
> --
> Matt
It was my understanding that the lute and guitar had different lineages and were not related. John seems to contest that idea. May be my information is out of date.

Re: History of the guitar

<s8dv3d$779$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1362&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1362

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 16:15:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Mqfc3L6Akru3bUBdQ8PxjKSn7tQ=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sun, 23 May 2021 16:15 UTC

Murdick <lutemann@aol.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:48:36 PM UTC-5, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
>> John <johnre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Or at least the last 5000 years. Interesting video.
>>>
>>> https://www.openculture.com/2021/05/the-history-of-the-guitar-in-7-instruments.html
>>>
>>> John R.
>>>
>> That court lutenists were spies made me laugh. I remember one time I was
>> playing guitar for a bridal shop, and right in front of me while I was
>> playing, some guests, a bride-to-be and her friend, were talking about
>> wanting to make their wedding invitations themselves by copying one of the
>> designs that were on display. They asked the owner if they could take some
>> samples of wedding invitations home with them so they can mull over their
>> decision of which one to buy. I listened carefully in case the owner okayed
>> their request, at which point I would have spoken up, but to my relief the
>> owner didn’t OK it. I told her about it afterwards.
>>
>> Of course, in this case, I wasn’t the spy, but it struck me how carelessly
>> they plotted their scheme right in front of me, as if I wasn’t there. Or,
>> maybe they thought I was so concentrated on playing the music that I
>> wouldn’t be able to hear them.
>>
>> --
>> Matt
>
> It was my understanding that the lute and guitar had different lineages
> and were not related. John seems to contest that idea. May be my
> information is out of date.

That lutenists were spies is just a stray fact told in the video which John
linked to.

--
Matt

Re: History of the guitar

<4075751d-2196-4dbf-9b77-a71a0eff3a4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1363&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1363

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 21:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnreth...@gmail.com (John)
 by: John - Mon, 24 May 2021 04:03 UTC

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:52:43 AM UTC-7, Murdick wrote:

> It was my understanding that the lute and guitar had different lineages and were not related. John seems to contest that idea. May be my information is out of date.

I actually didn't mean to contest any idea, since I know very little about the topic beyond the video. I do have a general impression that a wide range of fretted instruments developed in different cultures, many independently, but my general impressions are often fuzzy.

Re: History of the guitar

<s8giaq$15sn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1368&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1368

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 11:56:11 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Mon, 24 May 2021 15:56 UTC

On 5/24/2021 12:03 AM, John wrote:
> On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:52:43 AM UTC-7, Murdick wrote:
>
>> It was my understanding that the lute and guitar had different lineages and were not related. John seems to contest that idea. May be my information is out of date.
>
> I actually didn't mean to contest any idea, since I know very little about the topic beyond the video. I do have a general impression that a wide range of fretted instruments developed in different cultures, many independently, but my general impressions are often fuzzy.

I seem to remember an issue of the old GuitArt magazine that reviewed
the evolution of the guitar. My rapidly decaying memory is that the
development of the two instruments (lute and guitar) diverged, and that
that separation was somehow related to the Inquisition (which, of
course, nobody expects).
I may still have that issue somewhere, if it wasn't destroyed in my last
move. I'll look for it.

Steve