"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum." -- Arthur C. Clarke

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Micky DuPree
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Micky DuPree
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Micky DuPree
|     `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)A Friend
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Ubiquitous
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)anim8rfsk
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Eddie Grove
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<sntnfi$ml4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126737&group=rec.arts.tv#126737

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 08:47:46 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 16:47 UTC

On a day when I actually made bona fide progress on my grading pile, I watched:

Sex, Lies and Murder (recorded off LMN, and earlier off Lifetime too!!)
- At first, I thought this Lindsay Hartley flick was pretty much a
straight ripoff of two earlier Gina Holden flicks (A Woman's Nightmare,
and Sleeping with My Student) - and it definitely shares similarities
with those - but this one goes off in a different direction.
In this, Hartley plays a women who as a teen (attractive newcomer
Alyssa Luna plays the younger version of Hartley's character) was
kidnapped and nearly murdered by a serial killer, but manages to
escape. 20-someodd years later, she's now a professor of aberrant
psychology (e.g. studying serial killers).
Her marriage is one the rocks, after her husband has been banging an
attractive co-ed (Grace Montie, whom I don't think can really pass as a
"co-ed" these days!), so of course she sleeps with a guy who happens to
be one of the students in her college class. Soon enough, Montie's
character is murdered, the husband is implicated, and the student
targets Hartley's daughter (Katie Kelly, from Deceived by My
Mother-In-Law) after she dumps the college student.
It was pretty obvious where this was heading, but the serial killer
angle gave this one some freshness.

Hanna (Prime) - Ep's #3.3 & 3.4.
OK, this seems to be heading towards a conclusion, though not before
putting our "heroes" through the wringer - Hanna has to once again bail
out her "love interest", who has a secret; while Marissa has to
confront her past. And, of course, Carmichael, having been caught, is
pretty much screwed.
Hanna does have a face-off with Sandy Phillips in these, though it
is disappointingly inconclusive - I want to see Hanna mop the floor
with Sandy!

Sinister Switch (LMN) - There wasn't much "suspense" to this one, as it
was clear what was going on, but this still wasn't bad.
After being kidnapped for 6 years, an estranged couple's "daughter"
(Natalie Jane) escapes captivity and returns home. And while the Mom
(Emily Alatalo) is kind of in denial, the daughter is acting weird, and
others pick up on it.
This is heading where you expect, but I wasn't bored getting there, so...

Recorded for later: DOOL.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<sntvnk$h92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126789&group=rec.arts.tv#126789

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:08:35 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 19:08 UTC

On 11/27/2021 8:47 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On a day when I actually made bona fide progress on my grading pile, I
> watched:
>
> Sex, Lies and Murder (recorded off LMN, and earlier off Lifetime too!!)
> - At first, I thought this Lindsay Hartley flick was pretty much a
> straight ripoff of two earlier Gina Holden flicks (A Woman's Nightmare,
> and Sleeping with My Student) - and it definitely shares similarities
> with those - but this one goes off in a different direction.
>   In this, Hartley plays a women who as a teen (attractive newcomer
> Alyssa Luna plays the younger version of Hartley's character) was
> kidnapped and nearly murdered by a serial killer, but manages to escape.
> 20-someodd years later, she's now a professor of aberrant psychology
> (e.g. studying serial killers).
>   Her marriage is one the rocks, after her husband has been banging an
> attractive co-ed (Grace Montie, whom I don't think can really pass as a
> "co-ed" these days!), so of course she sleeps with a guy who happens to
> be one of the students in her college class. Soon enough, Montie's
> character is murdered, the husband is implicated, and the student
> targets Hartley's daughter (Katie Kelly, from Deceived by My
> Mother-In-Law) after she dumps the college student.
>   It was pretty obvious where this was heading, but the serial killer
> angle gave this one some freshness.

Fail, if there weren't any videotapes in this movie.

> Hanna (Prime) - Ep's #3.3 & 3.4.
>   OK, this seems to be heading towards a conclusion, though not before
> putting our "heroes" through the wringer - Hanna has to once again bail
> out her "love interest", who has a secret; while Marissa has to confront
> her past. And, of course, Carmichael, having been caught, is pretty much
> screwed.
>   Hanna does have a face-off with Sandy Phillips in these, though it is
> disappointingly inconclusive - I want to see Hanna mop the floor with
> Sandy!
>
> Sinister Switch (LMN) - There wasn't much "suspense" to this one, as it
> was clear what was going on, but this still wasn't bad.
>   After being kidnapped for 6 years, an estranged couple's "daughter"
> (Natalie Jane) escapes captivity and returns home. And while the Mom
> (Emily Alatalo) is kind of in denial, the daughter is acting weird, and
> others pick up on it.
>   This is heading where you expect, but I wasn't bored getting there,
> so...
>

> Recorded for later: DOOL.
>

> What did you watch?

I watched:

Legends of Tomorrow - "A Woman's Place is in the War Effort!" - The
legends continue to mess up established history. But next week looks
like it could be good.

Dexter: New Blood Episode 3 - "Smoke Signals" - A new CSI shows up and
to Dexter's shock and horror, the guy is competent. I was annoyed with
the lazy writing that always had Dexter in the room to hear key pieces
of information, "so the plot can happen." But otherwise it was a good
episode. And I'm starting to think *maybe* the Kurgan isn't a secret
serial killer. But he *is* the Kurgan, so I won't be surprised if he
is. Meanwhile, Dexter's kid is looking like he might just be a chip off
the old block.

Yellowjackets - "F Sharp" Episode 2 picks up with events right after the
plane crash, meanwhile in the present some background noise stuff happened.

Doom Patrol (HBOMax) - I binged through a few episodes, including one I
watched yesterday and forgot to mention.

"Undead Patrol" - The team is turned into brain eating zombies.

"Dada Patrol" - I have *no* idea what the heck was happening in this
one. It was mostly background noise.

"1917 Patrol" - I'm not sure if I finished this one or not. I might
have only started it. Regardless it was pure background noise. I did
notice in either this episode, or maybe "Dada Patrol" a breaking the 4th
wall joke when they referred to Michelle Gomez's mysterious time
traveling character as "Doctor Who." Michelle Gomez of course is best
known (to me at least) as playing the Master on Doctor Who.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (blu-ray) - I forgot to mention I watched
this on Thanksgiving. It's the classic 1987 John Hughes comedy staring
Steve Martin as a stuffy business man trying to get home for
Thanksgiving, but his life gets complicated when he runs into John Candy.

The Great Outdoors (blu-ray) - I forgot this one too. I watched it
after PTAA. It's a 1988 comedy staring John Candy as a average guy
taking his family on vacation in the woods, when his obnoxious cousin
(Dan Aykroyd) crashes his vacation. I didn't know it while watching,
but it was written and produced by John Hughes. Although I could see
lots of very obvious John Hughes references that made me think they were
ripping Hughes, so I guess now I know they weren't. I haven't seen this
since it came out. But I remembered liking it, and in particular I
remembered the movie featured scenes with a family of raccoons whose
dialogue was subtitled. Those racoon scene probably still remain the
funniest part of the movie. The rest was OK.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<2037980457.659731252.517371.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126805&group=rec.arts.tv#126805

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:57:34 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 19:57 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On a day when I actually made bona fide progress on my grading pile, I watched:
>

> “What did you watch?”

Hey, thanks for asking!

An absolutely atrocious movie on (I think) HBO max, VOYAGERS starring
Johnny Depp’s daughter and written and directed by the same guy who isn’t
capable of doing either much less both.

After earth that was is used up (no, really) we search the universe to find
a new galaxy of earths and finally find one in 2063 or something. They
decide to send a generation ship on the 86 year scout voyage but to speed
it up instead of Sending existing people they decide to grow new Khan
Noonian Singh disciples because yes if the writer had half a brain he’d
know that would take more time not less. And they’ll keep the space kids
drugged so they won’t want sex because that’s how generation ships work.
So with the premise ripped off of firefly and science from Star Trek and
set design from 2001 they are on their way.

The planet they are headed for has false colors with areas of red and blue
(there’s a lot of really stupid woke references in this) with the blue
being water and the red being… Oxygen. Yes this planet has scattered lumps
of water and oxygen that don’t overlap. Outback steakhouse couldn’t make a
rancid onion of stupidity bloom any harder.

They stop taking the lobotomizing drug and all go crazy and kill each other
because that’s what happens on a mission of this type and it’s Not
avoidable. He never says why.

The preshow warnings promise RAPE because “boob squeeze“ isn’t harsh
enough.

In the end the survivors agree to vote on everything. The first thing they
vote on is a leader. Why do they need a leader if they are going to vote
on everything?

I don’t even understand the purpose of their mission. This is a scouting
party. Why does it have to be a big population? Why don’t they just freeze
embryos? So they are going to spend 86 years getting there (they never say
how long it will be on earth) and then, and we have to guess at everything
else that’s going to happen, send a radio message back which will take
another 86 years and say yay or nay, and then if anybody is left alive on
earth that was they’ll spend the next 86 years coming to the new earth.
Seriously people if earth that was can last another half millennium waiting
to see where they can go they’re probably OK staying where they are.

As a bonus everybody but Johnny Depp‘s daughter talks like a robot. I’d
like to think it’s a directorial choice but I think it’s just that none of
them can act. So why doesn’t she talk like a robot? Apparently because she
can’t act either.

Buzz, click.

Fred Bob says “run away screaming“ which is easy because they have all
these endlessly long over lit hallways With ventilator grids that don’t
close that go between rooms and the halls to make sure that there’s no
possible way to seal off an air leak.. Shades of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF
THE SEA!

DEXTER NEW BLOOD on the SHOWTIME
Episodes one, two, and three; four is set to record hopefully before the
free preview runs out.

Well it’s fun to see Dexter again even if the first thing they do is kill
Yvonne Strahotski off offscreen. The picture quality is terrible, it’s all
washed out and has almost no color saturation. I have no idea if that’s
intentional or not. I also think they cheated on his sons age.

Most of the stuff I try to watch is in the wrong aspect ratio or edited or
both. They seem to be just center cutting everything to 169 and not only is
a lot of the image missing what is presented is grainy as hell.

I joined BABYLON A. D. In progress on THMXHDP whatever the hell that is.
Maybe it would’ve helped to see the beginning but as is it was
incomprehensible. Vin Diesel runs around in a California made snowcapped by
global warming that didn’t seem to affect New York trying to save some
magic kid.

I watched the original THE TRANSPORTER on I have no idea what channel. All
of these wide-open premium channels are behaving differently. Some will let
me record, some don’t allow it, some will ask if I want to watch something
that says it’s not going to show until tomorrow right now and will go and
get it. Some bounce me to a different channel and some to on demand. Anyway
this was a very nice copy of THE TRANSPORTER even if there are a couple
completely incomprehensible and Inexplicable set pieces and if I never did
figure out what the truth of the cute girl was.

Recorded for later
FATALE
BROKEN CITY

And I continue to check the upcoming preview schedules Which are too
extensive to scroll efficiently.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<snu8lm$gd1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126821&group=rec.arts.tv#126821

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 13:41:10 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 21:41 UTC

On 2021-11-27 19:57:34 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On a day when I actually made bona fide progress on my grading pile, I watched:
>>

>> “What did you watch?”
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> An absolutely atrocious movie on (I think) HBO max, VOYAGERS starring
> Johnny Depp’s daughter and written and directed by the same guy who isn’t
> capable of doing either much less both.
> [snip]
> Fred Bob says “run away screaming“ which is easy because they have all
> these endlessly long over lit hallways With ventilator grids that don’t
> close that go between rooms and the halls to make sure that there’s no
> possible way to seal off an air leak.. Shades of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF
> THE SEA!

I actually intend to get to this at some point!... ;)

> I watched the original THE TRANSPORTER on I have no idea what channel.

One of the HBOs, as HBO has "1" and "2" right now.

> All
> of these wide-open premium channels are behaving differently. Some will let
> me record, some don’t allow it, some will ask if I want to watch something
> that says it’s not going to show until tomorrow right now and will go and
> get it. Some bounce me to a different channel and some to on demand. Anyway
> this was a very nice copy of THE TRANSPORTER even if there are a couple
> completely incomprehensible and Inexplicable set pieces and if I never did
> figure out what the truth of the cute girl was.
>
> Recorded for later
> FATALE
> BROKEN CITY

"Fatale" is also on my list - I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<snu99j$kga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126825&group=rec.arts.tv#126825

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 13:51:45 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 21:51 UTC

On 11/27/2021 11:57 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On a day when I actually made bona fide progress on my grading pile, I watched:
>>

>> “What did you watch?”
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> An absolutely atrocious movie on (I think) HBO max, VOYAGERS starring
> Johnny Depp’s daughter and written and directed by the same guy who isn’t
> capable of doing either much less both.

I guess I liked this a lot more than you did. Or at least I didn't hate
it. It's just a remake of "Lord of the Flies" but set in space.

> DEXTER NEW BLOOD on the SHOWTIME
> Episodes one, two, and three; four is set to record hopefully before the
> free preview runs out.
>
> Well it’s fun to see Dexter again even if the first thing they do is kill
> Yvonne Strahotski off offscreen. The picture quality is terrible, it’s all
> washed out and has almost no color saturation. I have no idea if that’s
> intentional or not. I also think they cheated on his sons age.

Oh, they definitely cheated on the son's age! I didn't notice any
issues with the picture quality. Trying streaming it or taking a look
on YouTube to see if the picture quality is the same. You might have
been watching off of a non HD channel.

> Most of the stuff I try to watch is in the wrong aspect ratio or edited or
> both. They seem to be just center cutting everything to 169 and not only is
> a lot of the image missing what is presented is grainy as hell.
>

> I joined BABYLON A. D. In progress on THMXHDP whatever the hell that is.
> Maybe it would’ve helped to see the beginning but as is it was
> incomprehensible. Vin Diesel runs around in a California made snowcapped by
> global warming that didn’t seem to affect New York trying to save some
> magic kid.

I noticed this was going to be airing and thought about watching it.
Then I remembered I saw this when it first came out, and although I
don't actually remember anything that happens in it, I *know* the movie
is crap, so I changed my mind about giving it a second chance.

> I watched the original THE TRANSPORTER on I have no idea what channel. All
> of these wide-open premium channels are behaving differently. Some will let
> me record, some don’t allow it, some will ask if I want to watch something
> that says it’s not going to show until tomorrow right now and will go and
> get it. Some bounce me to a different channel and some to on demand. Anyway
> this was a very nice copy of THE TRANSPORTER even if there are a couple
> completely incomprehensible and Inexplicable set pieces and if I never did
> figure out what the truth of the cute girl was.
>
> Recorded for later
> FATALE
> BROKEN CITY
>
> And I continue to check the upcoming preview schedules Which are too
> extensive to scroll efficiently.
>
> —
> “The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it’s still on my list.”

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<snuaun$tp0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126832&group=rec.arts.tv#126832

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 14:20:09 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:20 UTC

On 11/27/2021 11:08 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> Planes, Trains and Automobiles (blu-ray) - I forgot to mention I watched
> this on Thanksgiving.  It's the classic 1987 John Hughes comedy staring
> Steve Martin as a stuffy business man trying to get home for
> Thanksgiving, but his life gets complicated when he runs into John Candy.

In development at Paramount....
"Will Smith and Kevin Hart are buddying up to remake Planes, Trains and
Automobiles. Aeysha Carr updates the screenplay."

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<87sfvhnsll.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126835&group=rec.arts.tv#126835

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 14:25:58 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:25 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> writes:

> Hanna (Prime) - Ep's #3.3 & 3.4.

> Hanna does have a face-off with Sandy Phillips in these, though it
> is disappointingly inconclusive - I want to see Hanna mop the floor
> with Sandy!

Shirley, they are saving that for the finale.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<1801021648.659746716.536564.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126844&group=rec.arts.tv#126844

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 16:08:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:08 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-11-27 19:57:34 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>> On a day when I actually made bona fide progress on my grading pile, I watched:
>>>

>>> “What did you watch?”
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> An absolutely atrocious movie on (I think) HBO max, VOYAGERS starring
>> Johnny Depp’s daughter and written and directed by the same guy who isn’t
>> capable of doing either much less both.
>> [snip]
>> Fred Bob says “run away screaming“ which is easy because they have all
>> these endlessly long over lit hallways With ventilator grids that don’t
>> close that go between rooms and the halls to make sure that there’s no
>> possible way to seal off an air leak.. Shades of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF
>> THE SEA!
>
> I actually intend to get to this at some point!... ;)

Condolences in advance

>> I watched the original THE TRANSPORTER on I have no idea what channel.
>
> One of the HBOs, as HBO has "1" and "2" right now.

I watched number 2 which gave way to JOHNNY ENGLISH STRIKES AGAIN

I also watched the end of CROCODILE DUNDEE VERSUS FLIPPER MEETS THE HOBBIT

>> All
>> of these wide-open premium channels are behaving differently. Some will let
>> me record, some don’t allow it, some will ask if I want to watch something
>> that says it’s not going to show until tomorrow right now and will go and
>> get it. Some bounce me to a different channel and some to on demand. Anyway
>> this was a very nice copy of THE TRANSPORTER even if there are a couple
>> completely incomprehensible and Inexplicable set pieces and if I never did
>> figure out what the truth of the cute girl was.
>>
>> Recorded for later
>> FATALE
>> BROKEN CITY
>
> "Fatale" is also on my list - I just haven't gotten to it yet.

I’ll let you know

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<988833471.659746998.606820.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=126845&group=rec.arts.tv#126845

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 16:08:08 -0700

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 11/27/2021 11:57 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>> On a day when I actually made bona fide progress on my grading pile, I watched:
>>>

>>> “What did you watch?”
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> An absolutely atrocious movie on (I think) HBO max, VOYAGERS starring
>> Johnny Depp’s daughter and written and directed by the same guy who isn’t
>> capable of doing either much less both.
>>

> I guess I liked this a lot more than you did. Or at least I didn't hate
> it. It's just a remake of "Lord of the Flies" but set in space.

I hated it. I mean they didn’t even give me any rape. After they promised
and everything!

>> DEXTER NEW BLOOD on the SHOWTIME
>> Episodes one, two, and three; four is set to record hopefully before the
>> free preview runs out.
>>
>> Well it’s fun to see Dexter again even if the first thing they do is kill
>> Yvonne Strahotski off offscreen. The picture quality is terrible, it’s all
>> washed out and has almost no color saturation. I have no idea if that’s
>> intentional or not. I also think they cheated on his sons age.
>>

> Oh, they definitely cheated on the son's age! I didn't notice any
> issues with the picture quality. Trying streaming it or taking a look
> on YouTube to see if the picture quality is the same. You might have
> been watching off of a non HD channel.
>

>> Most of the stuff I try to watch is in the wrong aspect ratio or edited or
>> both. They seem to be just center cutting everything to 169 and not only is
>> a lot of the image missing what is presented is grainy as hell.
>>

>> I joined BABYLON A. D. In progress on THMXHDP whatever the hell that is.
>> Maybe it would’ve helped to see the beginning but as is it was
>> incomprehensible. Vin Diesel runs around in a California made snowcapped by
>> global warming that didn’t seem to affect New York trying to save some
>> magic kid.
>>

> I noticed this was going to be airing and thought about watching it.
> Then I remembered I saw this when it first came out, and although I
> don't actually remember anything that happens in it, I *know* the movie
> is crap, so I changed my mind about giving it a second chance.

I’d say you made the right decision.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<so7v33$m7t$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=127689&group=rec.arts.tv#127689

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:30:55 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:30 UTC

In article <sntnfi$ml4$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch?

On Black Friday, November 26th, I watched:

MST3K:
I left the MST3K channel running all day, but it wasn't a "turkey day" rerun,
as far as I could tell. Oh yeah, they included bits from the newest iteration
of the show and I didn't really like them or find them amusing.

JUPITER'S LEGACY:
"Dawn's Early Light".
"Paper and Stone".
"Painting the Clouds With Sunshine".
I like this show, but... I get the feeling they're dragging out the origin
story and I really do not care about Chloe. Oh yeah, I'm also perplexed about
Utopia's insistance on his "no kill" part of The Rules.

NAILED IT!:
A competitive reality show based on the eponymous meme. Basically, people
who don't know what they're doing try to imitate fancy cakes made by
professionals, like a cake shaped like a bust of President Trump or a cake
that looks like a castle tower with Rapunzel, or cakes that look like sushi.
Needless to say, theirs look terrible!

MOVIES THAT MADE US:
A Netflix behind the scenes look at classic movies. This ep was about Friday
The 13TH. Damn, there was no script?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<so7v7g$m7t$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=127690&group=rec.arts.tv#127690

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:30:56 -0500

In article <sntvnk$h92$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>The Great Outdoors (blu-ray) - I forgot this one too. I watched it
>after PTAA. It's a 1988 comedy staring John Candy as a average guy
>taking his family on vacation in the woods, when his obnoxious cousin
>(Dan Aykroyd) crashes his vacation.

I never watched it, but I thought John Candy was playing the obnoxious one.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<so7vfo$m7t$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=127691&group=rec.arts.tv#127691

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:30:56 -0500

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>I also watched the end of CROCODILE DUNDEE VERSUS FLIPPER MEETS THE HOBBIT

Is that a double-feature with MARY POPPING MEETS FRANKENSTEIN?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<sp3om1$52b$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=130266&group=rec.arts.tv#130266

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 03:01:21 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 03:01 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> Dexter: New Blood Episode 3 - "Smoke Signals" - A new CSI shows up and
> to Dexter's shock and horror, the guy is competent. I was annoyed
> with the lazy writing that always had Dexter in the room to hear key
> pieces of information, "so the plot can happen." But otherwise it was
> a good episode.

That didn't annoy me as much as it might in another series for two
reasons. One is that it's a small-town police station/sheriff's office
(I forget which), a town, for that matter, where most of the townspeople
all know one another and trust one another. The other reason is that
Dexter is evidently the long-term boyfriend of the top cop. Trust just
oozes out of the station, despite the fact that by now, the girlfriend
ought to suspect someone local of being behind all those women
disappearing.

> And I'm starting to think *maybe* the Kurgan isn't a secret serial
> killer. But he *is* the Kurgan, so I won't be surprised if he is.

I think I missed a step, because the IMDb does not reveal a Kurgan. But
Clancy Brown? He's definitely off the beaten track even if he doesn't
fit the standard definition of a psychosexual serial killer.

> Meanwhile, Dexter's kid is looking like he might just be a chip off
> the old block.

C'mon, you remember the old series. Kids that are forced to witness the
bloody murders of their mothers always end up as serial killers (even
though I'm sure that's not how it works in real life).

-Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<sp5bub$382$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=130360&group=rec.arts.tv#130360

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 09:36:09 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 17:36 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kurgan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnZsTslN7k

He's definitely off the beaten track even if he doesn't
> fit the standard definition of a psychosexual serial killer.
>
>> Meanwhile, Dexter's kid is looking like he might just be a chip off
>> the old block.
>
> C'mon, you remember the old series. Kids that are forced to witness the
> bloody murders of their mothers always end up as serial killers (even
> though I'm sure that's not how it works in real life).
>
> -Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<sqbfts$bdd$3@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133143&group=rec.arts.tv#133143

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 04:37:16 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 04:37 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> On 12/11/2021 7:01 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:

>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

>>> Dexter: New Blood Episode 3 - "Smoke Signals"

>>> And I'm starting to think *maybe* the Kurgan isn't a secret serial
>>> killer. But he *is* the Kurgan, so I won't be surprised if he is.
>>
>> I think I missed a step, because the IMDb does not reveal a Kurgan.
>> But Clancy Brown?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kurgan
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnZsTslN7k

Ah. He didn't achieve name recognition for me until he played the
avatar of evil on HBO's interesting failure _Carnivale_.

-Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<sqd0ak$kq2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133239&group=rec.arts.tv#133239

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:23:13 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 18:23 UTC

On 12/26/2021 8:37 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

>>> I think I missed a step, because the IMDb does not reveal a Kurgan.
>>> But Clancy Brown?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kurgan
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnZsTslN7k
>
> Ah. He didn't achieve name recognition for me until he played the
> avatar of evil on HBO's interesting failure _Carnivale_.
>
> -Micky

I think the first time I noticed him in something else was "Earth 2" and
I remember at the time thinking seeing him play a nice guy felt so wrong
on so many levels.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<sri3jm$kfl$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136288&group=rec.arts.tv#136288

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:06:14 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:06 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> On 12/26/2021 8:37 PM, Micky DuPree wrote:

>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kurgan
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnZsTslN7k
>>
>> Ah. He didn't achieve name recognition for me until he played the
>> avatar of evil on HBO's interesting failure _Carnivale_.
>
> I think the first time I noticed him in something else was "Earth 2"
> and I remember at the time thinking seeing him play a nice guy felt so
> wrong on so many levels.

I'm open to seeing him play a good guy, but when I check his credits,
almost all the ones I recognize are villains. He's been DC animation's
go-to guy for Lex Luthor for many years.

One thing's for sure: he's not going to be able to play the little guy
in the back that no one notices. He's physically big, his voice is big,
he's just a looming presence. And omg, he's younger than I am. I could
have sworn he was about ten years older.

-Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-11-26 (Friday)

<100120221546263817%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136315&group=rec.arts.tv#136315

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:46:26 -0500
 by: A Friend - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:46 UTC

In article <sri3jm$kfl$1@pcls7.std.com>, Micky DuPree
<MDuPree@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> >> Ah. He didn't achieve name recognition for me until he played the
> >> avatar of evil on HBO's interesting failure _Carnivale_.

I knew his voice work before I saw him in The Shawshank Redemption.
What a great actor.