arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
  |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)A Friend
  | +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)BTR1701
  |  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  |  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)A Friend
  |  |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)BTR1701
  |  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)Nyssa
  |   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)BTR1701
  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)A Friend
  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)Micky DuPree

1
What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<UBI20211227@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133368&group=rec.arts.tv#133368

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 09:30 UTC

I watched:

FAMILY GUY:
FXX was playing every ep.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<1378829300.662387829.801599.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133377&group=rec.arts.tv#133377

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 05:57:14 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 12:57 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> I watched:
>
> FAMILY GUY:
> FXX was playing every ep.
>
> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking.

Almost nothing. People kept dying on me yesterday and I was helping the
families. Finally at bedtime I settled in for The two part THE BIONIC BOY
from season four of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN.

Originally a very special two hour episode, TBB was for some inexplicable
reason filmed on location in Kanab Utah featuring locals that had never
seen a camera before. Greg Evigan plays a high school football player!
Vincent Van Patten plays a teenager (at least he really was a teenager) who
is the only person in the world eligible for Rudy wells new bionic
breakthrough which involves putting a couple little devices the size of “to
sugar cubes“ (they must have huge sugar cubes) in his back to bypass a
couple of severed nerve junctions. Somehow this gives him sporadic super
strength which he can use without just shattering his legs. His half uncle
Dick Van Patten as a pointless cameo as a shoe salesman. The bionic boy
wiggles his toes and Bursts right through a pair of shoes. Joan Van Ark
plays the obligatory local hot babe for Steve to romance. Of course the
bionics backfire and of course the bionic boy keeps that he’s having
problems a secret.
In the end he uses his failing legs to learn the secret of haunted
mountain, which is just outside of town and the site of where he was
injured. The mountain has man-size boulders rolling down the side of it
constantly. I have no idea why there’s any mountain left by this point.
Steve follows him and they find a fabled Indian burial cave which is just
sitting there in plain sight. Steve robs the grave and carries the Boyd
back down the mountain. In the end they managed to turn down the bionics so
he can walk normally but isn’t super powered anymore. Steve tells Joan Van
Ark that they won’t be able to tell anybody about the bionic operation
until they can find a second eligible person.
These are from the batch of episodes where Steve has a mustache. Lee Majors
is in the best shape he was ever in in his life and wears little short
shorts and half cut off T-shirts to prove it.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<sqff0c$8g3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133395&group=rec.arts.tv#133395

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:46:01 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:46 UTC

On 12/28/2021 4:57 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> I watched:
>>
>> FAMILY GUY:
>> FXX was playing every ep.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking.
>
> Almost nothing. People kept dying on me yesterday and I was helping the
> families. Finally at bedtime I settled in for The two part THE BIONIC BOY
> from season four of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN.

I'm pretty sure I never saw this episode. Then again I'm pretty sure I
never saw most episode of TSMDM.

> Originally a very special two hour episode, TBB was for some inexplicable
> reason filmed on location in Kanab Utah featuring locals that had never
> seen a camera before. Greg Evigan

TekWar!

plays a high school football player!
> Vincent Van Patten plays a teenager (at least he really was a teenager) who
> is the only person in the world eligible for Rudy wells new bionic
> breakthrough which involves putting a couple little devices the size of “to
> sugar cubes“ (they must have huge sugar cubes) in his back to bypass a
> couple of severed nerve junctions. Somehow this gives him sporadic super
> strength which he can use without just shattering his legs. His half uncle
> Dick Van Patten as a pointless cameo as a shoe salesman. The bionic boy
> wiggles his toes and Bursts right through a pair of shoes.

So does he have bionic toes too? Or how does that work?

Joan Van Ark
> plays the obligatory local hot babe for Steve to romance. Of course the
> bionics backfire and of course the bionic boy keeps that he’s having
> problems a secret.
> In the end he uses his failing legs to learn the secret of haunted
> mountain, which is just outside of town and the site of where he was
> injured. The mountain has man-size boulders rolling down the side of it
> constantly. I have no idea why there’s any mountain left by this point.
> Steve follows him and they find a fabled Indian burial cave which is just
> sitting there in plain sight. Steve robs the grave and carries the Boyd
> back down the mountain. In the end they managed to turn down the bionics so
> he can walk normally but isn’t super powered anymore. Steve tells Joan Van
> Ark that they won’t be able to tell anybody about the bionic operation
> until they can find a second eligible person.
> These are from the batch of episodes where Steve has a mustache. Lee Majors
> is in the best shape he was ever in in his life and wears little short
> shorts and half cut off T-shirts to prove it.

I watched:

The Man with One Red Shoe (Cinemax) 1985 spy comedy starring Tom Hanks
as an average guy who gets used as a decoy by one branch of the CIA
trying to mislead another branch of the CIA during a scandal. Hanks is
randomly picked out of a crowd because he happens to be wearing one red
shoe. A rogue branch of the CIA (lead by Dabney Coleman) spies on him
and ultimately tries to kill him while another branch secretly protects
him. I remember watching this all the time when I was a kid, but I'm
guessing I haven't watched this since 85/86. I wasn't sure if I would
still like it or not, but it held up very well. I'm also surprised by
just how much of this movie I remembered while watching. I still find
it weird how I can so vividly remember these movies I saw as a kid 30+
years ago, yet movies I watched 2 or 3 years ago are complete blanks.

One thing, and I don't know if it's a plot hole or not, but at the end
of the movie Dabney Coleman runs into a room where the senators are
holding a hearing and points his gun trying to shoot Hanks. My first
thought was how could he have gotten the gun past the metal detectors.
But now I'm wondering, could someone have walked into the U.S. capitol
in 1985 with a gun without needing to pass through metal detectors? Did
they even use them back then?

Dragnet (blu-ray) 1987 comedy based on the old TV series staring Dan
Aykroyd and Tom Hanks. Dabney Coleman, who co-starred with Hanks in The
Man with One Red Shoe is in this as well. I could have sworn this came
out in the 90s. I was shocked to see this movie came out in the 80s,
and I'm pretty sure I haven't watched it since it originally came out.
Hey it's Jack O'Halloran (Non from Superman II). So that's what his
voice sounds like.

Real Men (blu-ray) 1987 spy comedy starring James Belushi (who also
starred in The Man with One Red Shoe) and John Ritter. Ritter plays an
average guy who gets used as a decoy by one branch of the CIA trying to
mislead another branch of the CIA during a meeting with aliens. After
the original CIA agent is murdered during a training run by rogue CIA
agents, the CIA brings in their best agent (Belushi) to escort a look
alike (Ritter) to a drop site. But Ritter doesn't believe a word out of
Belushi's mouth after he explains he's CIA and the mission involves
meeting with aliens. I remember this movie being ridiculously funny! I
haven't watched it in forever. I'm guessing the late 80s when it first
came out. I actually had plans to watch it with a different set of
movies, but when I saw Belushi's name pop up during The Man with One Red
Shoe opening credits, then thought about the plot, I figured it would be
better to watch it now. It holds up well enough.

Don't Look Up (Netflix streaming) This is a new sci-fi comedy from
writer and director Adam McKay. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer
Lawrence as a pair of scientists who discover a giant asteroid is going
to crash into Earth and wipe out all life. They desperately try to warn
the public but things quickly get politicized with a large part of the
country not believing the threat and a larger part more interested in
the latest celebrity gossip on social media. It's a very good movie,
but depressing. Somehow it managed to be simultaneously funny and
depressing at the same time.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<sqfr45$rma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133420&group=rec.arts.tv#133420

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:12:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:12 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>The Man with One Red Shoe (Cinemax) 1985 spy comedy starring Tom Hanks
>as an average guy who gets used as a decoy by one branch of the CIA
>trying to mislead another branch of the CIA during a scandal.

This was made during an era in which Hollywood was inexplicably remaking
French movies that had gotten distributed in the United States. Now,
this one was from a dozen or so years earlier, but there were plenty of
such movies that were remade within a year or two, like Cousins.

>. . .

>One thing, and I don't know if it's a plot hole or not, but at the end
>of the movie Dabney Coleman runs into a room where the senators are
>holding a hearing and points his gun trying to shoot Hanks. My first
>thought was how could he have gotten the gun past the metal detectors.
>But now I'm wondering, could someone have walked into the U.S. capitol
>in 1985 with a gun without needing to pass through metal detectors? Did
>they even use them back then?

Magnetometers were not in widespread use. I certainly remember walking
into federal courthouses without the search and without Magnetometers.
The county courthouses adopted them earlier.

You could just walk in to my State Capitol until a guy shooting at his
girlfriend killed a well-liked guard instead.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<281220211747273281%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133435&group=rec.arts.tv#133435

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:47:27 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:47 UTC

In article <sqff0c$8g3$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> But now I'm wondering, could someone have walked into the U.S.
> capitol in 1985 with a gun without needing to pass through metal
> detectors?

No.

> Did they even use them back then?

Yes.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<281220211754288561%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133436&group=rec.arts.tv#133436

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:54:28 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:54 UTC

In article <sqfr45$rma$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> >The Man with One Red Shoe (Cinemax) 1985 spy comedy starring Tom Hanks
> >as an average guy who gets used as a decoy by one branch of the CIA
> >trying to mislead another branch of the CIA during a scandal.
>
> This was made during an era in which Hollywood was inexplicably remaking
> French movies that had gotten distributed in the United States. Now,
> this one was from a dozen or so years earlier, but there were plenty of
> such movies that were remade within a year or two, like Cousins.

I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France flight to Paris in
1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at the front of
the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no subtitles. It was
odd listening to people laughing at God knows what.

> >One thing, and I don't know if it's a plot hole or not, but at the end
> >of the movie Dabney Coleman runs into a room where the senators are
> >holding a hearing and points his gun trying to shoot Hanks. My first
> >thought was how could he have gotten the gun past the metal detectors.
> >But now I'm wondering, could someone have walked into the U.S. capitol
> >in 1985 with a gun without needing to pass through metal detectors? Did
> >they even use them back then?
>
> Magnetometers were not in widespread use. I certainly remember walking
> into federal courthouses without the search and without Magnetometers.
> The county courthouses adopted them earlier.
>
> You could just walk in to my State Capitol until a guy shooting at his
> girlfriend killed a well-liked guard instead.

I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and just walking
onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a Greyhound. That
changed pretty quickly, of course.

I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of what a
nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of obligations that
involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to fly. That's
not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever works. Just
don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to that kind of
bullshit.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<1615362711.662428939.481337.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133442&group=rec.arts.tv#133442

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:04:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:04 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <sqfr45$rma$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The Man with One Red Shoe (Cinemax) 1985 spy comedy starring Tom Hanks
>>> as an average guy who gets used as a decoy by one branch of the CIA
>>> trying to mislead another branch of the CIA during a scandal.
>>
>> This was made during an era in which Hollywood was inexplicably remaking
>> French movies that had gotten distributed in the United States. Now,
>> this one was from a dozen or so years earlier, but there were plenty of
>> such movies that were remade within a year or two, like Cousins.
>

> I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France flight to Paris in
> 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at the front of
> the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no subtitles. It was
> odd listening to people laughing at God knows what.
>

>>> One thing, and I don't know if it's a plot hole or not, but at the end
>>> of the movie Dabney Coleman runs into a room where the senators are
>>> holding a hearing and points his gun trying to shoot Hanks. My first
>>> thought was how could he have gotten the gun past the metal detectors.
>>> But now I'm wondering, could someone have walked into the U.S. capitol
>>> in 1985 with a gun without needing to pass through metal detectors? Did
>>> they even use them back then?
>>
>> Magnetometers were not in widespread use. I certainly remember walking
>> into federal courthouses without the search and without Magnetometers.
>> The county courthouses adopted them earlier.
>>
>> You could just walk in to my State Capitol until a guy shooting at his
>> girlfriend killed a well-liked guard instead.
>

> I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and just walking
> onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a Greyhound. That
> changed pretty quickly, of course.

I used to do that Phoenix to Burbank in the 1980s. It was exactly like
taking a bus except it wasn’t full of awful people. It was the same
aircraft and it just shuttled back-and-forth maybe four times a day.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<WbmdnQQ7lMWxL1b8nZ2dnUU7-etQAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133443&group=rec.arts.tv#133443

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:56:12 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:56 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <sqfr45$rma$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The Man with One Red Shoe (Cinemax) 1985 spy comedy starring Tom Hanks
>>> as an average guy who gets used as a decoy by one branch of the CIA
>>> trying to mislead another branch of the CIA during a scandal.
>>
>> This was made during an era in which Hollywood was inexplicably remaking
>> French movies that had gotten distributed in the United States. Now,
>> this one was from a dozen or so years earlier, but there were plenty of
>> such movies that were remade within a year or two, like Cousins.
>

> I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France flight to Paris in
> 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at the front of
> the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no subtitles. It was
> odd listening to people laughing at God knows what.
>

>>> One thing, and I don't know if it's a plot hole or not, but at the end
>>> of the movie Dabney Coleman runs into a room where the senators are
>>> holding a hearing and points his gun trying to shoot Hanks. My first
>>> thought was how could he have gotten the gun past the metal detectors.
>>> But now I'm wondering, could someone have walked into the U.S. capitol
>>> in 1985 with a gun without needing to pass through metal detectors? Did
>>> they even use them back then?
>>
>> Magnetometers were not in widespread use. I certainly remember walking
>> into federal courthouses without the search and without Magnetometers.
>> The county courthouses adopted them earlier.
>>
>> You could just walk in to my State Capitol until a guy shooting at his
>> girlfriend killed a well-liked guard instead.
>

> I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and just walking
> onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a Greyhound. That
> changed pretty quickly, of course.
>
> I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of what a
> nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of obligations that
> involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to fly. That's
> not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever works. Just
> don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to that kind of
> bullshit.

Yep. After spending 20+ years almost constantly on planes for work, I've
resolved never to get on one again. Only exception I'll make is for visits
to Hawaii (for obvious reasons). Now that I'm retired and have all the time
in the world, I'll just drive. Who cares if it takes me a couple days to
get there?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<115725053.662432798.734545.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133446&group=rec.arts.tv#133446

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:07:24 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:07 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>> In article <sqfr45$rma$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> This was made during an era in which Hollywood was inexplicably remaking
>>> French movies that had gotten distributed in the United States. Now,
>>> this one was from a dozen or so years earlier, but there were plenty of
>>> such movies that were remade within a year or two, like Cousins.
>>

>> I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France flight to Paris in
>> 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at the front of
>> the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no subtitles. It was
>> odd listening to people laughing at God knows what.

>>> Magnetometers were not in widespread use. I certainly remember walking
>>> into federal courthouses without the search and without Magnetometers.
>>> The county courthouses adopted them earlier.
>>>
>>> You could just walk in to my State Capitol until a guy shooting at his
>>> girlfriend killed a well-liked guard instead.
>>

>> I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and just walking
>> onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a Greyhound. That
>> changed pretty quickly, of course.
>>
>> I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of what a
>> nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of obligations that
>> involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to fly. That's
>> not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever works. Just
>> don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to that kind of
>> bullshit.
>
> Yep. After spending 20+ years almost constantly on planes for work, I've
> resolved never to get on one again. Only exception I'll make is for visits
> to Hawaii (for obvious reasons). Now that I'm retired and have all the time
> in the world, I'll just drive. Who cares if it takes me a couple days to
> get there?

Some friends and I always thought that taking a cruise ship to Hawaii might
be interesting. I’m not sure if they ever got that run working or not.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<281220212213054117%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133454&group=rec.arts.tv#133454

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:13:05 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:13 UTC

In article <WbmdnQQ7lMWxL1b8nZ2dnUU7-etQAAAA@giganews.com>, BTR1701
<no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article <sqfr45$rma$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> > <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> >> This was made during an era in which Hollywood was inexplicably remaking
> >> French movies that had gotten distributed in the United States. Now,
> >> this one was from a dozen or so years earlier, but there were plenty of
> >> such movies that were remade within a year or two, like Cousins.
> >

> > I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France flight to Paris in
> > 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at the front of
> > the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no subtitles. It was
> > odd listening to people laughing at God knows what.

> >> Magnetometers were not in widespread use. I certainly remember walking
> >> into federal courthouses without the search and without Magnetometers.
> >> The county courthouses adopted them earlier.
> >>
> >> You could just walk in to my State Capitol until a guy shooting at his
> >> girlfriend killed a well-liked guard instead.
> >

> > I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and just walking
> > onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a Greyhound. That
> > changed pretty quickly, of course.
> >
> > I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of what a
> > nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of obligations that
> > involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to fly. That's
> > not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever works. Just
> > don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to that kind of
> > bullshit.
>
> Yep. After spending 20+ years almost constantly on planes for work, I've
> resolved never to get on one again. Only exception I'll make is for visits
> to Hawaii (for obvious reasons). Now that I'm retired and have all the time
> in the world, I'll just drive. Who cares if it takes me a couple days to
> get there?

Exactly! I hardly ever went on vacation (usually I just stayed home
and slept in when they made me take one), but one time I did fly to
L.A., rented a car, and drove a 2400-mile route around the southwest.
I hit most of the high spots and finished up in San Francisco. Very
laid back, very nice. Had a great time; I felt like Then Came Bronson.
Nowadays, I wish I'd done more of that kind of thing, but in different
parts of the country.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<aNCdnayjd_JpRFb8nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133463&group=rec.arts.tv#133463

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:45:56 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:45 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <WbmdnQQ7lMWxL1b8nZ2dnUU7-etQAAAA@giganews.com>, BTR1701
> <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France flight to Paris in
>>> 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at the front of
>>> the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no subtitles. It was
>>> odd listening to people laughing at God knows what.

>>> I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and just walking
>>> onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a Greyhound. That
>>> changed pretty quickly, of course.
>>>
>>> I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of what a
>>> nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of obligations that
>>> involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to fly. That's
>>> not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever works. Just
>>> don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to that kind of
>>> bullshit.
>>
>> Yep. After spending 20+ years almost constantly on planes for work, I've
>> resolved never to get on one again. Only exception I'll make is for visits
>> to Hawaii (for obvious reasons). Now that I'm retired and have all the time
>> in the world, I'll just drive. Who cares if it takes me a couple days to
>> get there?
>

> Exactly! I hardly ever went on vacation (usually I just stayed home
> and slept in when they made me take one), but one time I did fly to
> L.A., rented a car, and drove a 2400-mile route around the southwest.
> I hit most of the high spots and finished up in San Francisco. Very
> laid back, very nice. Had a great time; I felt like Then Came Bronson.
> Nowadays, I wish I'd done more of that kind of thing, but in different
> parts of the country.

My next planned journey is to drive from L.A. to Alaska. Have to wait until
the border crossings are back to normal though.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<1688323438.662452841.881031.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133486&group=rec.arts.tv#133486

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:46:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:46 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <WbmdnQQ7lMWxL1b8nZ2dnUU7-etQAAAA@giganews.com>, BTR1701
> <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France flight to Paris in
>>> 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at the front of
>>> the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no subtitles. It was
>>> odd listening to people laughing at God knows what.

>>> I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and just walking
>>> onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a Greyhound. That
>>> changed pretty quickly, of course.
>>>
>>> I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of what a
>>> nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of obligations that
>>> involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to fly. That's
>>> not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever works. Just
>>> don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to that kind of
>>> bullshit.
>>
>> Yep. After spending 20+ years almost constantly on planes for work, I've
>> resolved never to get on one again. Only exception I'll make is for visits
>> to Hawaii (for obvious reasons). Now that I'm retired and have all the time
>> in the world, I'll just drive. Who cares if it takes me a couple days to
>> get there?
>

> Exactly! I hardly ever went on vacation (usually I just stayed home
> and slept in when they made me take one), but one time I did fly to
> L.A., rented a car, and drove a 2400-mile route around the southwest.
> I hit most of the high spots and finished up in San Francisco. Very
> laid back, very nice. Had a great time; I felt like Then Came Bronson.
> Nowadays, I wish I'd done more of that kind of thing, but in different
> parts of the country.

I have recently retired friends that are doing that. They live in
Pennsylvania but she has a grown daughter and grandkids in California so
they fly to California and then Rent-A-Car and this last time took a
driving trip through Phoenix to see me and then headed on down to tombstone
and places like that. They seem to be having a great time. They just got
back from driving to DC and spending Christmas at the Ritz Carlton. I took
too many driving vacations with my parents where I was stuck in the
backseat for a couple weeks at a time to really want to revisit those days!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<sqhqim$iqg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133515&group=rec.arts.tv#133515

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:15:27 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:15 UTC

BTR1701 wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>> In article <sqfr45$rma$1@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> This was made during an era in which Hollywood was
>>> inexplicably remaking French movies that had gotten
>>> distributed in the United States. Now, this one was from
>>> a dozen or so years earlier, but there were plenty of
>>> such movies that were remade within a year or two, like
>>> Cousins.
>>

>> I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France
>> flight to Paris in
>> 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at
>> the front of
>> the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no
>> subtitles. It was odd listening to people laughing at
>> God knows what.

>>> Magnetometers were not in widespread use. I certainly
>>> remember walking into federal courthouses without the
>>> search and without Magnetometers. The county courthouses
>>> adopted them earlier.
>>>
>>> You could just walk in to my State Capitol until a guy
>>> shooting at his girlfriend killed a well-liked guard
>>> instead.
>>

>> I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and
>> just walking
>> onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a
>> Greyhound. That changed pretty quickly, of course.
>>
>> I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of
>> what a
>> nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of
>> obligations that
>> involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to
>> fly. That's
>> not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever
>> works. Just
>> don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to
>> that kind of bullshit.
>
> Yep. After spending 20+ years almost constantly on planes
> for work, I've resolved never to get on one again. Only
> exception I'll make is for visits to Hawaii (for obvious
> reasons). Now that I'm retired and have all the time in
> the world, I'll just drive. Who cares if it takes me a
> couple days to get there?

Plus if you drive yourself you don't have the hassles of
car rental, worrying about overweight or large luggage,
and you can stop for breaks/snacks/pitstops whenever and
wherever you want on the way.

Yep, driving beats flying unless you're planning on
leaving the continent.

Nyssa, who would not want to take a car or a tramp
steamer to Seoul

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<2MidnVPOb5AKFlH8nZ2dnUU7-VfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133528&group=rec.arts.tv#133528

Followup: rec.arts.tv
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:23:51 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:23 UTC

Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
> BTR1701 wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> I was stuck "watching" the original on an Air France
>>> flight to Paris in
>>> 1973. The film was playing on a middlin' large screen at
>>> the front of
>>> the tourist section. No English dialogue track, no
>>> subtitles. It was odd listening to people laughing at
>>> God knows what.

>>> I remember flying somewhere toward the end of 1970 and
>>> just walking
>>> onto the plane and finding my seat, like it was a
>>> Greyhound. That changed pretty quickly, of course.
>>>
>>> I haven't flown since 1996 so I have only a hazy idea of
>>> what a
>>> nightmare flying has become. I've refused a couple of
>>> obligations that
>>> involved flying, so word got around that I was afraid to
>>> fly. That's
>>> not the case but, man, I don't care anymore. Whatever
>>> works. Just
>>> don't ask me again. I won't let myself be subjected to
>>> that kind of bullshit.
>>
>> Yep. After spending 20+ years almost constantly on planes
>> for work, I've resolved never to get on one again. Only
>> exception I'll make is for visits to Hawaii (for obvious
>> reasons). Now that I'm retired and have all the time in
>> the world, I'll just drive. Who cares if it takes me a
>> couple days to get there?
>
> Plus if you drive yourself you don't have the hassles of
> car rental, worrying about overweight or large luggage,
> and you can stop for breaks/snacks/pitstops whenever and
> wherever you want on the way.

And no having to worry about what you can and cannot pack in your luggage
because of security or worrying that you don't have enough room in your
bags to bring back souvenirs or being constantly hectored by sky-nazis to
put a mask on even while you're eating or having your flight canceled and
being stuck in some strange city... the list goes on.

The government and the airlines have done such a thorough job of turning
flying into a special level of hell that sane people want nothing to do
with it. I

> Yep, driving beats flying unless you're planning on
> leaving the continent.
>
> Nyssa, who would not want to take a car or a tramp
> steamer to Seoul

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<749450768.662405515.540820.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=133674&group=rec.arts.tv#133674

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:16:43 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 04:16 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 12/28/2021 4:57 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> FAMILY GUY:
>>> FXX was playing every ep.
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking.
>>
>> Almost nothing. People kept dying on me yesterday and I was helping the
>> families. Finally at bedtime I settled in for The two part THE BIONIC BOY
>> from season four of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN.
>>

> I'm pretty sure I never saw this episode. Then again I'm pretty sure I
> never saw most episode of TSMDM.

I thought I had seen them all. I don’t remember half of them at all and
half of the half I do remember I don’t remember very well. I also remember
thinking it was a good show. Seems that I have been wrong on several
counts.

>> Originally a very special two hour episode, TBB was for some inexplicable
>> reason filmed on location in Kanab Utah featuring locals that had never
>> seen a camera before. Greg Evigan
>
> TekWar!

Alexa Doig

> plays a high school football player!
>> Vincent Van Patten plays a teenager (at least he really was a teenager) who
>> is the only person in the world eligible for Rudy wells new bionic
>> breakthrough which involves putting a couple little devices the size of “to
>> sugar cubes“ (they must have huge sugar cubes) in his back to bypass a
>> couple of severed nerve junctions. Somehow this gives him sporadic super
>> strength which he can use without just shattering his legs. His half uncle
>> Dick Van Patten as a pointless cameo as a shoe salesman. The bionic boy
>> wiggles his toes and Bursts right through a pair of shoes.
>

> So does he have bionic toes too? Or how does that work?

It makes no sense. All that he has in him are two little clear capsules in
the small of his back with wires that run north and south along the spinal
column connecting his brain to his legs. Somehow this malfunctions and
gives him super strength in said legs. That’s not going to let you burst
through the top of a pair of shoes by wiggling your toes!

> Joan Van Ark
>> plays the obligatory local hot babe for Steve to romance. Of course the
>> bionics backfire and of course the bionic boy keeps that he’s having
>> problems a secret.
>> In the end he uses his failing legs to learn the secret of haunted
>> mountain, which is just outside of town and the site of where he was
>> injured. The mountain has man-size boulders rolling down the side of it
>> constantly. I have no idea why there’s any mountain left by this point.
>> Steve follows him and they find a fabled Indian burial cave which is just
>> sitting there in plain sight. Steve robs the grave and carries the Boyd
>> back down the mountain. In the end they managed to turn down the bionics so
>> he can walk normally but isn’t super powered anymore. Steve tells Joan Van
>> Ark that they won’t be able to tell anybody about the bionic operation
>> until they can find a second eligible person.
>> These are from the batch of episodes where Steve has a mustache. Lee Majors
>> is in the best shape he was ever in in his life and wears little short
>> shorts and half cut off T-shirts to prove it.
>

> I watched:
>

> Dragnet (blu-ray) 1987 comedy based on the old TV series staring Dan
> Aykroyd and Tom Hanks. Dabney Coleman, who co-starred with Hanks in The
> Man with One Red Shoe is in this as well. I could have sworn this came
> out in the 90s. I was shocked to see this movie came out in the 80s,
> and I'm pretty sure I haven't watched it since it originally came out.
> Hey it's Jack O'Halloran (Non from Superman II). So that's what his
> voice sounds like.

A friend of mine‘s mom plays Aykroyd‘s “whacked out hoes Monster“ elderly
grandmother. She’s always looked much older than she was so she got a lot
of rules as sweet old ladies. :-)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2021-12-27 (Monday)

<srj1a3$r7s$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136405&group=rec.arts.tv#136405

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 04:33:07 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 04:33 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> The Man with One Red Shoe (Cinemax) 1985 spy comedy starring Tom Hanks
> as an average guy who gets used as a decoy by one branch of the CIA
> trying to mislead another branch of the CIA during a scandal. Hanks
> is randomly picked out of a crowd because he happens to be wearing one
> red shoe. A rogue branch of the CIA (lead by Dabney Coleman) spies on
> him and ultimately tries to kill him while another branch secretly
> protects him. I remember watching this all the time when I was a kid,
> but I'm guessing I haven't watched this since 85/86. I wasn't sure if
> I would still like it or not, but it held up very well. I'm also
> surprised by just how much of this movie I remembered while watching.
> I still find it weird how I can so vividly remember these movies I saw
> as a kid 30+ years ago, yet movies I watched 2 or 3 years ago are
> complete blanks.

Heh. Early memories tend to be deep memories.

At first I was thinking that Gene Wilder starred in this film, but that
was a remake (_The Woman in Red_; not that great) of a different French
film (_Pardon Mon Affaire_). I saw the French original of this one
(English title: _The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe_) with subtitles
and found it mildly amusing. Now I'm thinking that maybe I never saw
the English version at all, and maybe I should.

> One thing, and I don't know if it's a plot hole or not, but at the end
> of the movie Dabney Coleman runs into a room where the senators are
> holding a hearing and points his gun trying to shoot Hanks. My first
> thought was how could he have gotten the gun past the metal detectors.
> But now I'm wondering, could someone have walked into the U.S. capitol
> in 1985 with a gun without needing to pass through metal detectors?
> Did they even use them back then?

My initial guess was they were installed post-9/11, but it turns out
that for the public, it was much earlier:

"It wasn't until a bomb exploded in the Capitol in March 1971
that metal detectors were placed at the doors of the building."

<https://dc.curbed.com/2016/3/29/11323940/capitol-security-visitor-center-shooting>

Of course, members were not required to go through metal detectors until
post-1/6. Maybe the character in the movie brazened his way through one
of those entrances.

> Don't Look Up (Netflix streaming) This is a new sci-fi comedy from
> writer and director Adam McKay. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio and
> Jennifer Lawrence as a pair of scientists who discover a giant
> asteroid is going to crash into Earth and wipe out all life. They
> desperately try to warn the public but things quickly get politicized
> with a large part of the country not believing the threat and a larger
> part more interested in the latest celebrity gossip on social media.
> It's a very good movie, but depressing. Somehow it managed to be
> simultaneously funny and depressing at the same time.

Yeah, I chuckled some -- the bronteroc made me laugh -- but mostly
landed on the depressing side. As absurd as some of the behavior was,
it wasn't very far off from the (un)real world today. And I don't care
what the critics thought, I got a little misty at the "last supper"
scene.

-Micky