Rubber bands have snappy endings!

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)A Friend
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)A Friend
|    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)A Friend
|      `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|       +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)BTR1701
|       |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|       `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)A Friend
|        `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|         `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)A Friend
|          +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
|          |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|          | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)A Friend
|          |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|          `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)anim8rfsk
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<UBI20220110@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136448&group=rec.arts.tv#136448

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 09:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
Shout Factory was playing MST3K all day:

"Swamp Diamonds". Four women break out of prison, hoping to recover a cache
of stolen diamonds.

"Mad Monster". A mad scientist turns a man into a werewolf in an attempt to
silence his critics.

"Wild rebels". A retired race car driver, talked into going undercover by the
police, joins a biker gang and must serve as the getaway car driver.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<632156962.663608560.919414.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136479&group=rec.arts.tv#136479

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 09:14:44 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:14 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>
> MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
> Shout Factory was playing MST3K all day:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I also watched an MST 3K episode, a classic from the “first“ season
A FANTASTIC VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PLANET OF THE PREHISTORIC WILD WILD
WOMEN
Or something like that.
I’ve never understood this movie but it’s possible that it’s not possible
to understand this movie. I thought that they crashed on the original
planet of the Asians that they came from but if that’s what happened then
nothing else makes sense.
The scene where they explain relativity to one of the dumber crewman is one
of the most painful things I’ve ever had to endure. Fortunately he doesn’t
live long after that.
With Stuart Margolin as angel.
I fondly remember costar Irene Tsu as the Chevron wiki wiki girl half a
century ago. I looked her up and even found vintage erotica of her! And an
old hey boy from HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL is in there too. How did he get old?
This isn’t exactly a long time after his role on paladin.
I swear some of the background paintings got re-used for the second Star
Trek pilot, or maybe it’s the other way around.

I finished watching THE MANDALORIAN on the Disney+. Of the 16 episodes all
but three or four were very good to excellent. That’s a hell of a batting
average. Unfortunately I overshot and started reading behind the scenes
stuff like the star of the series saying all Republicans are Nazis which
Disney didn’t punish him for and then Gina Carano saying that the cancel
culture people are closer to the Nazis than the Republicans are and the
cancel culture people pouncing on her and getting her fired ironically
proving her point. Anyway I won’t be watching the show again.

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
My ex gave me the Blu-ray (from a 4K transfer) of one of my favorite movies
with a bunch of behind-the-scenes interviews and commentary throughout. I
watched it with the commentary which was pretty good although it was more
about filmmaking in general and had a lot of weird omissions and mistakes.
The one thing I really really really didn’t like was one of the
commentators kept talking about the sequel novel saying that he hadn’t been
able to find a copy of it anywhere but he did score a synopsis which is
what he was referring to. What the hell? AFTER WORLDS COLLIDE is still in
freaking print. There are copies all over Amazon.
I also got as a gift from someone else two newly written sequel books I
need to take a look at.

NCIS Los Angeles S 13 E08 “a land of wolves“
Last week Kenzie wasn’t in it because she was directing. This week Callan
isn’t in it but he wasn’t directing so I don’t know why. They brought in a
new agent du jour which is kind of annoying because they have several
better ones they’ve used in the past including two from the Nookie. One of
the many team Muslims was MIA as well. The episode wasn’t very good.
Somehow Kenzie got involved in illegals trying to cross over from Mexico
and being turned back by redneck militia. There was this “girl“ she helped
who looked to be about 25 to me. They set it up so that apparently Kenzie
and Deeks who have been wanting a baby are going to adopt her. This is just
stupid.

CELEBRITY WHEEL OF FORTUNE
This weeks celebrities were some ball player I’ve never heard of and hope
to never hear of again, Anthony Anderson from law and order, and Marcia
Cross so there was some thing for Ian. I got as far as the ball player
blathering about his charity which seeks justice but only for people of
race. He said that by making sure only people of race get justice then
everybody does. Sajak must’ve been fuming. I pushed delete.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<srkd70$i65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136486&group=rec.arts.tv#136486

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 09:02:25 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:02 UTC

On 2022-01-11 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Having finished out "Snowpiercer", I took it mostly easy yesterday, and
focused on my annual financial check-up, and trying to finish out
"Dickinson" on Apple TV+:

soaps: DOOL - Fallout from "Demon Johnny" telling the assembled that he
wants to divorce Chanel. This of course ended exactly where you
expected it to: with NuChanel and Allie making out, and probably "doing
it", with poor Tripp clueless as to what is going on. Meanwhile, silly
ol' Susan Banks figures out that the Devil is in Johnny, and goes to
confront the Devil!!
GH - I enjoyed Nina mostly putting FauxCarly in her place! EVOL!!1!
Esme was just about to seduce Spencer again, when they are interrupted
by Victor Cassadine. One of Lizzie's kids is sabotaging her
relationship with Finn - my alternate theory: Lizzie is cracking up,
and is dissociating and sabotaging things by herself!

Dickinson (Apple TV+) - Ep's #3.5-3.7.
Overall, I have not cared for season #3 - too much "drama" (and not
the good kind).
But there have been a couple of good episodes so far - in this batch
was "A little Madness in the Spring" (ep. #3.6) which was actually
funny. Looking for a "job" opportunity, Mr. Dickinson takes the Mrs.
and two daughters to a nearby women's "sanitarium". Mrs. Dickinson is
paranoid that Mr. Dickinson has planned all of this and intends to
leave her there! I thought the joke was going to be that Mr. Dickinson
actually intended to leave *Emily* there, but they've defanged the
character since season #1, so the joke was instead that the sanitarium
director became convinced that Emily belongs there! Meanwhile, Mrs.
Dickinson discovers that some of the inmates get to lounge around and
have no responsibilities and decides she want to stay there after all!!
(This ends with Mrs. Dickinson retreating to her bedroom, so I guess
this is how she becomes "bedridden" as far as the TV series is
concerned!...) And Emily discovers Abby Wood has been committed to the
sanitarium by her EVOL!!1! husband (though Abby seems pretty chipper
about it!!), so Emily organizes a patient protest, and springs Abby.
The other two episodes were mostly consumed by Dickinson family
drama. In ep. #3.7, Emily has a vision of the future where she (and
Lavinia) meet 1950s Smith College student Silvia Plath (Chloe Fineman),
and Plath does a pretty good job of speaking the truth about Emily
Dickinson's life.
However, I do like the subplot with Henry (Chinaza Uche) trying to
train the freed slaves for the 1st South Carolina Volunteers - that's a
storyline that could be obnoxious (and, indeed, their satirical
portrayal of Thomas Wentworth Higginson as "super-woke" generally falls
flat), but the interplay among the freed slave characters is actually
pretty good.
But, by this point, I'm really tired of the Emily/Sue drama.

Otherwise, I mostly left LMN movies on in the background yesterday, and
worked on my annual financial check-up.

Recorded for later: Ordinary Joe.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136532&group=rec.arts.tv#136532

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:17:09 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:17 UTC

On 1/11/2022 8:14 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> After an arduous workout, I watched:
>>
>> MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
>> Shout Factory was playing MST3K all day:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
snip

> WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
> My ex gave me the Blu-ray (from a 4K transfer) of one of my favorite movies
> with a bunch of behind-the-scenes interviews and commentary throughout. I
> watched it with the commentary which was pretty good although it was more
> about filmmaking in general and had a lot of weird omissions and mistakes.
> The one thing I really really really didn’t like was one of the
> commentators kept talking about the sequel novel saying that he hadn’t been
> able to find a copy of it anywhere but he did score a synopsis which is
> what he was referring to. What the hell? AFTER WORLDS COLLIDE is still in
> freaking print. There are copies all over Amazon.
> I also got as a gift from someone else two newly written sequel books I
> need to take a look at.

You might want to take a look at The Wandering earth on Netflix.

I watched:

Ghosts - "Sam's Mom" - Sam and Jay take a trip to see if her mom is now
a ghost. Meanwhile those wacky ghosts are forced to entertain
themselves after the TV turns off.

The Equalizer - "Bout That Life" - mostly background noise.

Family Guy - "Mister Act" - Lois gets an exercise bike.

The Righteous Gemstones (HBO) - "I Speak in the Tongues of Men and
Angels" and "After I Leave, Savage Wolves Will Come" - Season two kicks
off with Eric Roberts joining the show. And Danny McBride's character
scheming to join a real estate scheme that another TV evangelist asked
him to join. Both episodes were funny.

My Way (Netflix rental) 2011 South Korean WWII movie based on real
events. I don't know how much of the movie is true, but it's based on
the life of a Korean man who during WWII fought as a soldier with the
Japanese army, the Russian army, and the Nazi army.

The movie follows two men, one Korean (Kim Jun-shik), and one Japanese
(Tatsuo) who meet each other as children during Japan's occupation of
Korea. They are both professional marathon runners and by the time they
are adults, the Korean man has beat the Japanese man several times. The
hopes of occupied Korea are with the young athlete and they cheer as he
beats the Japanese man for the Olympic tryouts, in spite of the Japanese
athletes opening cheating to stop him from winning. But the Japanese
officials just award the victory to the Japanese athlete anyway, causing
a riot amongst the Korean population in attendance. Kim and his friends
are then sentenced to serve in the Japanese army and are sent to the
front lines. The Japanese army is depicted as being pretty awful, then
when Tasuo shows up as a Japanese officer, he's even worse. The two men
*hate* each other with a burning passion, but wind up captured and
serving in a Russian POW camp. When Germany declares war on Russia, the
Russians decide to empty their prisons and give the prisoners a choice,
join the Russian army or get a bullet in the head. So the two enemies
wind up fighting for Russia but in another twist of fate they see an
opportunity to escape and join up with the Nazis. Japan and Germany
were allies after all. And as luck would have it they are sent by the
Germans to the front lines of Normandy. I found this to be a very
entertaining movie. And it was dubbed so I didn't have to read subtitles.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<110120221650565372%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136542&group=rec.arts.tv#136542

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:50:56 -0500
 by: A Friend - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:50 UTC

In article <srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 1/11/2022 8:14 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> >> After an arduous workout, I watched:
> >>
> >> MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
> >> Shout Factory was playing MST3K all day:
> >>

> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > Hey, thanks for asking!
> snip
> >
> > WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
> > My ex gave me the Blu-ray (from a 4K transfer) of one of my favorite movies
> > with a bunch of behind-the-scenes interviews and commentary throughout. I
> > watched it with the commentary which was pretty good although it was more
> > about filmmaking in general and had a lot of weird omissions and mistakes.
> > The one thing I really really really didn¹t like was one of the
> > commentators kept talking about the sequel novel saying that he hadn¹t been
> > able to find a copy of it anywhere but he did score a synopsis which is
> > what he was referring to. What the hell? AFTER WORLDS COLLIDE is still in
> > freaking print. There are copies all over Amazon.
> > I also got as a gift from someone else two newly written sequel books I
> > need to take a look at.

If memory serves (and I think it does). one of the co-authors of the
novel wrote that weird The Name of the Game episode that was set in a
post-apocalyptic 2017. It was a Gene Barry ep and co-starred Sharon
Farrell, who had a brain aneurysm or something during filming and
completely forgot the details of her entire life before that day. She
completed the episode anyway. What a trooper.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136562&group=rec.arts.tv#136562

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:33:18 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:33 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>> snip
>>>
>>> WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
>>> My ex gave me the Blu-ray (from a 4K transfer) of one of my favorite movies
>>> with a bunch of behind-the-scenes interviews and commentary throughout. I
>>> watched it with the commentary which was pretty good although it was more
>>> about filmmaking in general and had a lot of weird omissions and mistakes.
>>> The one thing I really really really didn¹t like was one of the
>>> commentators kept talking about the sequel novel saying that he hadn¹t been
>>> able to find a copy of it anywhere but he did score a synopsis which is
>>> what he was referring to. What the hell? AFTER WORLDS COLLIDE is still in
>>> freaking print. There are copies all over Amazon.
>>> I also got as a gift from someone else two newly written sequel books I
>>> need to take a look at.
>

> If memory serves (and I think it does). one of the co-authors of the
> novel wrote that weird The Name of the Game episode that was set in a
> post-apocalyptic 2017. It was a Gene Barry ep and co-starred Sharon
> Farrell, who had a brain aneurysm or something during filming and
> completely forgot the details of her entire life before that day. She
> completed the episode anyway. What a trooper.

I hadn’t heard that story about Farrell. Wow!

Philip Wylie
Yeah, he had an amaze balls career; he wrote GLADIATOR (Superman is ripped
off that and Doc Savage) and THE SAVAGE GENTLEMAN (which Doc Savage is
supposedly based on although I’ve never read that) and of course WHEN
WORLDS COLLIDE which sources say Buck Rogers is based on although that’s
pretty much of a stretch but a lot of other things are including Deep
Impact.

LA 2017 was his last script (he died fairly young). He also wrote a
novelization of it. The TV show was directed by some kid named Spielberg.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<110120222235566027%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136591&group=rec.arts.tv#136591

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 22:35:56 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 03:35 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article <srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
> > <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> >> snip

> > If memory serves (and I think it does). one of the co-authors of the
> > novel wrote that weird The Name of the Game episode that was set in a
> > post-apocalyptic 2017. It was a Gene Barry ep and co-starred Sharon
> > Farrell, who had a brain aneurysm or something during filming and
> > completely forgot the details of her entire life before that day. She
> > completed the episode anyway. What a trooper.
> >

> I hadn¹t heard that story about Farrell. Wow!
>
> Philip Wylie
> Yeah, he had an amaze balls career; he wrote GLADIATOR (Superman is ripped
> off that and Doc Savage) and THE SAVAGE GENTLEMAN (which Doc Savage is
> supposedly based on although I¹ve never read that) and of course WHEN
> WORLDS COLLIDE which sources say Buck Rogers is based on although that¹s
> pretty much of a stretch but a lot of other things are including Deep
> Impact.

I once had a cheap hardback that combined When Worlds Collide and After
Worlds Collide. A number of nations had managed to launch ships to
Bronson Beta, including the Nazis (who were presented in thin
disguise), and of course there's a big fight.

> LA 2017 was his last script (he died fairly young). He also wrote a
> novelization of it. The TV show was directed by some kid named Spielberg.

I read the novelization of L.A. 2017. Lots and lots of casual sex in
amounts impossible for television. Also, Sharon Farrell's character
does it with women. Something for the kids!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136599&group=rec.arts.tv#136599

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:04:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 04:04 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> If memory serves (and I think it does). one of the co-authors of the
>>> novel wrote that weird The Name of the Game episode that was set in a
>>> post-apocalyptic 2017. It was a Gene Barry ep and co-starred Sharon
>>> Farrell, who had a brain aneurysm or something during filming and
>>> completely forgot the details of her entire life before that day. She
>>> completed the episode anyway. What a trooper.
>>>

>> I hadn¹t heard that story about Farrell. Wow!
>>
>> Philip Wylie
>> Yeah, he had an amaze balls career; he wrote GLADIATOR (Superman is ripped
>> off that and Doc Savage) and THE SAVAGE GENTLEMAN (which Doc Savage is
>> supposedly based on although I¹ve never read that) and of course WHEN
>> WORLDS COLLIDE which sources say Buck Rogers is based on although that¹s
>> pretty much of a stretch but a lot of other things are including Deep
>> Impact.
>

> I once had a cheap hardback that combined When Worlds Collide and After
> Worlds Collide. A number of nations had managed to launch ships to
> Bronson Beta, including the Nazis (who were presented in thin
> disguise), and of course there's a big fight.

I’ve got an expensive soft bound. Same story. :-)

There’s a third book that was written in recent years. It’s the worst book
ever written. It’s completely unreadable. I’ve never made it past the first
chapter which was so awful I have to walk away from the book for so long
that I forget it and have to read it again.

The Terrans of Beta: Book Three in the When Wolds Collide Series (When
Worlds Collide) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1461020638/

Plus the two recently written sequels that I think are going to mix in war
of the worlds as well. Haven’t read a word of those yet.

>> LA 2017 was his last script (he died fairly young). He also wrote a
>> novelization of it. The TV show was directed by some kid named Spielberg.
>

> I read the novelization of L.A. 2017. Lots and lots of casual sex in
> amounts impossible for television. Also, Sharon Farrell's character
> does it with women. Something for the kids!

Wow

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<120120220714552064%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136633&group=rec.arts.tv#136633

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 07:14:55 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 12:14 UTC

In article
<1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> >> I hadn1t heard that story about Farrell. Wow!
> >>
> >> Philip Wylie
> >> Yeah, he had an amaze balls career; he wrote GLADIATOR (Superman is ripped
> >> off that and Doc Savage) and THE SAVAGE GENTLEMAN (which Doc Savage is
> >> supposedly based on although I1ve never read that) and of course WHEN
> >> WORLDS COLLIDE which sources say Buck Rogers is based on although that1s
> >> pretty much of a stretch but a lot of other things are including Deep
> >> Impact.
> >

> > I once had a cheap hardback that combined When Worlds Collide and After
> > Worlds Collide. A number of nations had managed to launch ships to
> > Bronson Beta, including the Nazis (who were presented in thin
> > disguise), and of course there's a big fight.
>
> I¹ve got an expensive soft bound. Same story. :-)
>
> There¹s a third book that was written in recent years. It¹s the worst book
> ever written. It¹s completely unreadable. I¹ve never made it past the first
> chapter which was so awful I have to walk away from the book for so long
> that I forget it and have to read it again.
>
> The Terrans of Beta: Book Three in the When Wolds Collide Series (When
> Worlds Collide) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1461020638/
>
> Plus the two recently written sequels that I think are going to mix in war
> of the worlds as well. Haven¹t read a word of those yet.

Thanks. I had no idea there'd been a third book. Unfortunately, my
tastes have changed pretty radically since I read the first two, what,
50 or 55 years ago?

BTW Cecil B. de Mille was supposed to make When Worlds Collide, which
is why Paramount bought the rights. The de Mille version would have
been awesome.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136637&group=rec.arts.tv#136637

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 07:14:10 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:14 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

>>> I once had a cheap hardback that combined When Worlds Collide and After
>>> Worlds Collide. A number of nations had managed to launch ships to
>>> Bronson Beta, including the Nazis (who were presented in thin
>>> disguise), and of course there's a big fight.
>>
>> I¹ve got an expensive soft bound. Same story. :-)
>>
>> There¹s a third book that was written in recent years. It¹s the worst book
>> ever written. It¹s completely unreadable. I¹ve never made it past the first
>> chapter which was so awful I have to walk away from the book for so long
>> that I forget it and have to read it again.
>>
>> The Terrans of Beta: Book Three in the When Wolds Collide Series (When
>> Worlds Collide) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1461020638/
>>
>> Plus the two recently written sequels that I think are going to mix in war
>> of the worlds as well. Haven¹t read a word of those yet.
>

> Thanks. I had no idea there'd been a third book. Unfortunately, my
> tastes have changed pretty radically since I read the first two, what,
> 50 or 55 years ago?
>
> BTW Cecil B. de Mille was supposed to make When Worlds Collide, which
> is why Paramount bought the rights. The de Mille version would have
> been awesome.

One thing the commentary guys talk about on the Blu-ray is how little
actual distraction we see and how most of it is from the first wave. As far
as the actual destruction of earth we see a quick shot on the view screen
and that’s it.

One assumes DeMille would have photographed a little more courage.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<_6udnbNA_faWfkP8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136641&group=rec.arts.tv#136641

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 08:17:47 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:17 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>> In article
>> <1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> I¹ve got an expensive soft bound. Same story. :-)
>>>
>>> There¹s a third book that was written in recent years. It¹s the worst book
>>> ever written. It¹s completely unreadable. I¹ve never made it past the first
>>> chapter which was so awful I have to walk away from the book for so long
>>> that I forget it and have to read it again.
>>>
>>> The Terrans of Beta: Book Three in the When Wolds Collide Series (When
>>> Worlds Collide) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1461020638/
>>>
>>> Plus the two recently written sequels that I think are going to mix in war
>>> of the worlds as well. Haven¹t read a word of those yet.
>>

>> Thanks. I had no idea there'd been a third book. Unfortunately, my
>> tastes have changed pretty radically since I read the first two, what,
>> 50 or 55 years ago?
>>
>> BTW Cecil B. de Mille was supposed to make When Worlds Collide, which
>> is why Paramount bought the rights. The de Mille version would have
>> been awesome.
>>

> One thing the commentary guys talk about on the Blu-ray is how little
> actual distraction we see and how most of it is from the first wave. As far
> as the actual destruction of earth we see a quick shot on the view screen
> and that’s it.
>
> One assumes DeMille would have photographed a little more courage.

And with all the bravery, maybe some carnage, too. ;-)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<1210646413.663691395.560987.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136646&group=rec.arts.tv#136646

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 07:49:59 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:49 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

>>> Thanks. I had no idea there'd been a third book. Unfortunately, my
>>> tastes have changed pretty radically since I read the first two, what,
>>> 50 or 55 years ago?
>>>
>>> BTW Cecil B. de Mille was supposed to make When Worlds Collide, which
>>> is why Paramount bought the rights. The de Mille version would have
>>> been awesome.
>>>

>> One thing the commentary guys talk about on the Blu-ray is how little
>> actual distraction we see and how most of it is from the first wave. As far
>> as the actual destruction of earth we see a quick shot on the view screen
>> and that’s it.
>>
>> One assumes DeMille would have photographed a little more courage.
>
> And with all the bravery, maybe some carnage, too. ;-)

Lol

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<120120221355262558%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136679&group=rec.arts.tv#136679

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <UBI20220110@dont-email.me> <632156962.663608560.919414.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me> <110120221650565372%nope@noway.com> <486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <110120222235566027%nope@noway.com> <1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <120120220714552064%nope@noway.com> <666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:55:26 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:55 UTC

In article
<666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> One thing the commentary guys talk about on the Blu-ray is how little
> actual distraction we see and how most of it is from the first wave. As far
> as the actual destruction of earth we see a quick shot on the view screen
> and that¹s it.
>
> One assumes DeMille would have photographed a little more courage.

You've reminded me of something that's always pissed me off. In the
2002 remake of The Time Machine, the moon breaks up because greedy moon
barons have been carving out huge residential caverns. When the
traveler arrives in 800,000 Holy Crap, the moon is still just a spray
of rubble across the night sky. In fact, the moon would have largely
reformed as a sphere within a century or so.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136809&group=rec.arts.tv#136809

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 21:17:42 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 04:17 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> One thing the commentary guys talk about on the Blu-ray is how little
>> actual distraction we see and how most of it is from the first wave. As far
>> as the actual destruction of earth we see a quick shot on the view screen
>> and that¹s it.
>>
>> One assumes DeMille would have photographed a little more courage.
>

> You've reminded me of something that's always pissed me off. In the
> 2002 remake of The Time Machine, the moon breaks up because greedy moon
> barons have been carving out huge residential caverns. When the
> traveler arrives in 800,000 Holy Crap, the moon is still just a spray
> of rubble across the night sky. In fact, the moon would have largely
> reformed as a sphere within a century or so.

Nobody ever gets that right. In Thundarr the barbarian the moon was
floating in two big pieces separated by maybe a few hundred miles.

https://fromthewastes11811.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/thundarr-the-barbarian-opening-moon-broken.jpg

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<130120220818148797%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136884&group=rec.arts.tv#136884

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <UBI20220110@dont-email.me> <632156962.663608560.919414.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me> <110120221650565372%nope@noway.com> <486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <110120222235566027%nope@noway.com> <1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <120120220714552064%nope@noway.com> <666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <120120221355262558%nope@noway.com> <1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:18:14 -0500
 by: A Friend - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:18 UTC

In article
<1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> One thing the commentary guys talk about on the Blu-ray is how little
> >> actual distraction we see and how most of it is from the first wave. As far
> >> as the actual destruction of earth we see a quick shot on the view screen
> >> and that1s it.

IIRC the scene with Times Square being flooded was added after the film
was completed because George Pal had failed to show any dramatic damage
caused by the passing of Bronson Alpha. They set up photographs of NYC
buildings in a tank and let loose. Worked like gangbusters.

> >> One assumes DeMille would have photographed a little more courage.
> >

> > You've reminded me of something that's always pissed me off. In the
> > 2002 remake of The Time Machine, the moon breaks up because greedy moon
> > barons have been carving out huge residential caverns. When the
> > traveler arrives in 800,000 Holy Crap, the moon is still just a spray
> > of rubble across the night sky. In fact, the moon would have largely
> > reformed as a sphere within a century or so.
> >

> Nobody ever gets that right. In Thundarr the barbarian the moon was
> floating in two big pieces separated by maybe a few hundred miles.
>
> https://fromthewastes11811.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/thundarr-the-barbarian-opening-moon-broken.jpg

Now I want to know when North Moon went to war with South Moon.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<srpiea$r9o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136903&group=rec.arts.tv#136903

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:02:18 -0800
<srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me> <110120221650565372%nope@noway.com>
<486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<110120222235566027%nope@noway.com>
<1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<120120220714552064%nope@noway.com>
<666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<120120221355262558%nope@noway.com>
<1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
<130120220818148797%nope@noway.com>
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 16:02 UTC

On 1/13/2022 5:18 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

> IIRC the scene with Times Square being flooded was added after the film
> was completed because George Pal had failed to show any dramatic damage
> caused by the passing of Bronson Alpha. They set up photographs of NYC
> buildings in a tank and let loose. Worked like gangbusters.

I don't remember that. Then again, I haven't watched the movie in forever.

>>> You've reminded me of something that's always pissed me off. In the
>>> 2002 remake of The Time Machine, the moon breaks up because greedy moon
>>> barons have been carving out huge residential caverns. When the
>>> traveler arrives in 800,000 Holy Crap, the moon is still just a spray
>>> of rubble across the night sky. In fact, the moon would have largely
>>> reformed as a sphere within a century or so.
>>>

>> Nobody ever gets that right. In Thundarr the barbarian the moon was
>> floating in two big pieces separated by maybe a few hundred miles.
>>
>> https://fromthewastes11811.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/thundarr-the-barbarian-opening-moon-broken.jpg
>

> Now I want to know when North Moon went to war with South Moon.

LOL

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<1590949804.663786403.259967.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136923&group=rec.arts.tv#136923

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:11:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 17:11 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 1/13/2022 5:18 AM, A Friend wrote:
>> In article
>> <1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>> IIRC the scene with Times Square being flooded was added after the film
>> was completed because George Pal had failed to show any dramatic damage
>> caused by the passing of Bronson Alpha. They set up photographs of NYC
>> buildings in a tank and let loose. Worked like gangbusters.
>>

> I don't remember that. Then again, I haven't watched the movie in forever.

https://youtu.be/9_cJoBm1bCg

5:42

Note this is the second wave (ha, ha) as the street is already flooded.

>>> Nobody ever gets that right. In Thundarr the barbarian the moon was
>>> floating in two big pieces separated by maybe a few hundred miles.
>>>
>>> https://fromthewastes11811.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/thundarr-the-barbarian-opening-moon-broken.jpg
>>

>> Now I want to know when North Moon went to war with South Moon.
>
> LOL

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<239413805.663785791.415550.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136924&group=rec.arts.tv#136924

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:11:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 17:11 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

> IIRC the scene with Times Square being flooded was added after the film
> was completed because George Pal had failed to show any dramatic damage
> caused by the passing of Bronson Alpha. They set up photographs of NYC
> buildings in a tank and let loose. Worked like gangbusters.

That shot has always perplexed me. There are at least three cuts of it in
the film that look to be identical set-ups. One where it’s high and dry and
deserted. One where the water is crashing through that looks like they did
what you said, flooded the model. And the most spectacular one where the
water has obvious matte lines. My best guess was that they built an
undetailed model matching actual footage to flood for the third shot but
then I haven’t got the slightest idea how they did the second shot. If
they did the second shot the way we think that I have no idea why they had
to go for a different technique for the third shot!

>>> You've reminded me of something that's always pissed me off. In the
>>> 2002 remake of The Time Machine, the moon breaks up because greedy moon
>>> barons have been carving out huge residential caverns. When the
>>> traveler arrives in 800,000 Holy Crap, the moon is still just a spray
>>> of rubble across the night sky. In fact, the moon would have largely
>>> reformed as a sphere within a century or so.
>>>

>> Nobody ever gets that right. In Thundarr the barbarian the moon was
>> floating in two big pieces separated by maybe a few hundred miles.
>>
>> https://fromthewastes11811.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/thundarr-the-barbarian-opening-moon-broken.jpg
>

> Now I want to know when North Moon went to war with South Moon.

Lol

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<130120221343174175%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136942&group=rec.arts.tv#136942

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <UBI20220110@dont-email.me> <632156962.663608560.919414.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <srks4o$23t$1@dont-email.me> <110120221650565372%nope@noway.com> <486787604.663635847.058590.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <110120222235566027%nope@noway.com> <1207398012.663651630.570137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <120120220714552064%nope@noway.com> <666117519.663688617.049741.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <120120221355262558%nope@noway.com> <1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <130120220818148797%nope@noway.com> <srpiea$r9o$1@dont-email.me> <1590949804.663786403.259967.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:43:17 -0500
 by: A Friend - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 18:43 UTC

In article
<1590949804.663786403.259967.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> > On 1/13/2022 5:18 AM, A Friend wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <1123416770.663739994.061114.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

> >> IIRC the scene with Times Square being flooded was added after the film
> >> was completed because George Pal had failed to show any dramatic damage
> >> caused by the passing of Bronson Alpha. They set up photographs of NYC
> >> buildings in a tank and let loose. Worked like gangbusters.
> >>

> > I don't remember that. Then again, I haven't watched the movie in forever.
> >

> https://youtu.be/9_cJoBm1bCg
>
> 5:42
>
> Note this is the second wave (ha, ha) as the street is already flooded.

Thanks!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-10 (Monday)

<531598759.663793270.139054.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136946&group=rec.arts.tv#136946

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:16:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:16 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1590949804.663786403.259967.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I don't remember that. Then again, I haven't watched the movie in forever.
>>>

>> https://youtu.be/9_cJoBm1bCg
>>
>> 5:42
>>
>> Note this is the second wave (ha, ha) as the street is already flooded.
>

> Thanks!

NP