When people say nothing, they don't necessarily mean nothing.

arts / rec.music.classical.guitar / Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

SubjectAuthor
* Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”Matt Faunce
+* Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”JMF
|`* Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”Ken Blake
| `- Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”Ken Blake
`* Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”dsi1
 `* Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”Steven Bornfeld
  `* Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”dsi1
   `* Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”Steven Bornfeld
    `- Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”dsi1

1
Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<s7917n$pib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1335&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1335

From: mattfau...@gmail.com (Matt Faunce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Subject: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 16:05:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ShOltfixlRo0E51hBuFWUFW43VY=
 by: Matt Faunce - Sun, 9 May 2021 16:05 UTC

Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
rose.

--
Matt

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<s7aka8$1qe5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1336&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1336

From: favaro.j...@tiscali.it (JMF)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Subject: Re:_Rosewood_is_Called_“Rosewood”
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 08:36:58 +0200
 by: JMF - Mon, 10 May 2021 06:36 UTC

On 5/9/2021 6:05 PM, Matt Faunce wrote:
> Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
> rose.

Ah, what's in a name ...

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<ifsvd4FsoqiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1337&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1337

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 07:48:04 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 10 May 2021 14:48 UTC

On 5/9/2021 11:36 PM, JMF wrote:
> On 5/9/2021 6:05 PM, Matt Faunce wrote:
>> Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
>> rose.
>>
> Ah, what's in a name ...

....that which we call a rosewood...

--
Ken

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<ift90fF5r0U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1338&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1338

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 10:31:59 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 10 May 2021 17:31 UTC

On 5/10/2021 7:48 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 5/9/2021 11:36 PM, JMF wrote:
>> On 5/9/2021 6:05 PM, Matt Faunce wrote:
>>> Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
>>> rose.
>>>
>> Ah, what's in a name ...
>

> ...that which we call a rosewood...

or better, ...that which we call a rosewood smell...

--
Ken

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<0dc955f6-b4c1-4cad-b393-cda48e401fd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1370&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1370

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 13:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Mon, 24 May 2021 20:30 UTC

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 8:21:31 AM UTC-10, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
> rose.
>
> --
> Matt

It is a fragrant wood. To me, rosewood smells like Chinese preserved salted plum. It's a "dirty wood." The dust is awful - it gets in your nose and on your clothes. The same thing with ebony. I don't recall ebony having any smell. After working with these woods, you'll be blowing out dark red and black snot out of your nose for a while. It's a rather amusing sight.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0288/0130/2663/products/Red_Li_Hing_Mui_2048x.png?v=1586348506

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<s8h876$13sv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1371&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1371

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 18:09:45 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Mon, 24 May 2021 22:09 UTC

On 5/24/2021 4:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 8:21:31 AM UTC-10, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
>> rose.
>>
>> --
>> Matt
>
> It is a fragrant wood. To me, rosewood smells like Chinese preserved salted plum. It's a "dirty wood." The dust is awful - it gets in your nose and on your clothes. The same thing with ebony. I don't recall ebony having any smell. After working with these woods, you'll be blowing out dark red and black snot out of your nose for a while. It's a rather amusing sight.
>
> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0288/0130/2663/products/Red_Li_Hing_Mui_2048x.png?v=1586348506

As I'm sure you know, inhaling wood dust is bad. There is no specific
warning about rosewood or ebony dust being carcinogenic in this source,
they are for some reason only specifying nasopharyngeal cancers.
Hardwood dusts are particularly irritating.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<6fbd15ef-48f2-42de-b276-6dee9b82e6b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1372&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1372

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Mon, 24 May 2021 23:37 UTC

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 12:09:50 PM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 5/24/2021 4:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 8:21:31 AM UTC-10, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Rosewood is called “rosewood” because when you cut it it smells like a
> >> rose.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Matt
> >
> > It is a fragrant wood. To me, rosewood smells like Chinese preserved salted plum. It's a "dirty wood." The dust is awful - it gets in your nose and on your clothes. The same thing with ebony. I don't recall ebony having any smell. After working with these woods, you'll be blowing out dark red and black snot out of your nose for a while. It's a rather amusing sight.
> >
> > https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0288/0130/2663/products/Red_Li_Hing_Mui_2048x.png?v=1586348506
> >
> As I'm sure you know, inhaling wood dust is bad. There is no specific
> warning about rosewood or ebony dust being carcinogenic in this source,
> they are for some reason only specifying nasopharyngeal cancers.
> Hardwood dusts are particularly irritating.
>
> https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

I made my guitar back in the early 70's. We did a lot of things that were bad back in those days - like not eating gluten-free, eating foods without pull dates, and skateboarding on metal wheels. It's a miracle we survived. I remember my guitar teacher watching me while chain-smoking Marlboros. He wouldn't say a word. He just watched me with an amused look on his face, like he was remembering a particularly funny incident in his life.
These days we know better. I would insist on wearing a face mask the next time I find myself sanding dirty wood. OTOH, since the guitar I built was pretty much a unmitigated disaster, there's little chance of me finding myself in that position again. It's also a good idea that kids remember to wear a respirator if their guitar teacher loves to chain smoke. That's Guitar 101 right there.

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<s8ja4a$1mes$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1373&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1373

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 12:54:37 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Tue, 25 May 2021 16:54 UTC

On 5/24/2021 7:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 12:09:50 PM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

>>> It is a fragrant wood. To me, rosewood smells like Chinese preserved salted plum. It's a "dirty wood." The dust is awful - it gets in your nose and on your clothes. The same thing with ebony. I don't recall ebony having any smell. After working with these woods, you'll be blowing out dark red and black snot out of your nose for a while. It's a rather amusing sight.
>>>
>>> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0288/0130/2663/products/Red_Li_Hing_Mui_2048x.png?v=1586348506
>>>
>> As I'm sure you know, inhaling wood dust is bad. There is no specific
>> warning about rosewood or ebony dust being carcinogenic in this source,
>> they are for some reason only specifying nasopharyngeal cancers.
>> Hardwood dusts are particularly irritating.
>>
>> https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/
>
> I made my guitar back in the early 70's. We did a lot of things that were bad back in those days - like not eating gluten-free, eating foods without pull dates, and skateboarding on metal wheels. It's a miracle we survived. I remember my guitar teacher watching me while chain-smoking Marlboros. He wouldn't say a word. He just watched me with an amused look on his face, like he was remembering a particularly funny incident in his life.
> These days we know better. I would insist on wearing a face mask the next time I find myself sanding dirty wood. OTOH, since the guitar I built was pretty much a unmitigated disaster, there's little chance of me finding myself in that position again. It's also a good idea that kids remember to wear a respirator if their guitar teacher loves to chain smoke. That's Guitar 101 right there.

LOL--well yes, that youthful feeling of invulnerability left me a long
time ago.
Take care, David!

Steve

Re: Rosewood is Called “Rosewood”

<b0624fd6-24da-4147-ae6a-e87d936a0235n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1374&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1374

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 13:22:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@yahoo.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:22 UTC

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 6:54:40 AM UTC-10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> On 5/24/2021 7:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> As I'm sure you know, inhaling wood dust is bad. There is no specific
> >> warning about rosewood or ebony dust being carcinogenic in this source,
> >> they are for some reason only specifying nasopharyngeal cancers.
> >> Hardwood dusts are particularly irritating.
> >>
> >> https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/
> >
> > I made my guitar back in the early 70's. We did a lot of things that were bad back in those days - like not eating gluten-free, eating foods without pull dates, and skateboarding on metal wheels. It's a miracle we survived. I remember my guitar teacher watching me while chain-smoking Marlboros. He wouldn't say a word. He just watched me with an amused look on his face, like he was remembering a particularly funny incident in his life.
> > These days we know better. I would insist on wearing a face mask the next time I find myself sanding dirty wood. OTOH, since the guitar I built was pretty much a unmitigated disaster, there's little chance of me finding myself in that position again. It's also a good idea that kids remember to wear a respirator if their guitar teacher loves to chain smoke. That's Guitar 101 right there.
> >
> LOL--well yes, that youthful feeling of invulnerability left me a long
> time ago.
> Take care, David!
>
> Steve

Me too. That's one heck of a chart, BTW. If trees had any brains, they would all be too poisonous to handle - like tambootie. It's a funny sounding wood that could make you go blind! I like that - a guitar made only to be played by blind folks. :)