From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Ray Donovan post-series movie 1/14/2022 (spoilers)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 07:09:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 07:09 UTC

p o
i l
e r

p a
c e

On Showtime

I guess it was a little satisfying. It's the immediate aftermath of
the unsatisfying final season.

I didn't recall specific plot details, but it's something about teenage
Ray worked for a Southie gangster who had something to do with Bridget
(his sister), manipulating her into sex. She became pregnant by him.
He's responsible for her death.

See, originally, she was doing drugs with a boy who got them from Mickey,
and "flew" off a building while stoned. In season 7, it was changed to
outright killing herself and not Micky's fault.

This, of course, gives Ray less motive for having framed Mickey.

I guess as an apology to viewers for retconning who was at fault in
Bridget's death, we get backstory on teenage Ray meeting Ezra and the actor
(who came from Hollywood and isn't supposed to be from Boston). They are
on location in South Boston. Mickey somehow got hired as the actor's
personal consultant who keeps changing the script on Mickey's advice.
The actor starts doing Mickey's drugs. The stoned actor starts waiving a
gun around a la Alec Baldwin and accidentally shoots the prostitute Ray
liked in her head; she was also partying with them at the closed bar.

This is the murder Mickey has been set up for.

This part largely fits with backstory we already knew.

Did I mention that Ray wants to kill Mickey in this episode? That's like
most of the episodes.

Terry, Bunchy, and Daryll have very little to do. Kathryn Moennig shows
up to help get Daryll to a non-extradition country. We're truly
expecting Daryll to fuck up, ignoring Lena's instructions, but he
doesn't. Terry has a nice moment at the end, preparing a dinner and
pretending that their teenage selves are sitting around the table.
Bunchy follows Ray to Boston with Bridget (Ray's daughter) as they think
he's going to murder Mickey. In Boston he finds the house they grew up
in for sale and is tempted to buy it, but is talked out of it by Teresa.
Are they still married? I have no idea.

Early, the brothers sit around talking about the past and laughing at
war stories and kind of decide that Mickey is an enormous shithead
because of his childhood spent in a whorehouse. I didn't quite follow
that. Of course, anyone who watched this show for 7 seasons is well
aware that Mickey manipulates everyone, in particular weak-minded
Daryll, into participating in his crimes. Mickey still wants to make his
adult children happy and buying their forgiveness for having been a
terrible father and a worse husband with proceeds of some robbery.

But for 7 seasons, every single scheme of Mickey's goes down in flames
and people he loves get hurt and some of them die. Not real sure how
that has anything to do with his childhood.

Molly (the gangster's daughter that Ray was friends with when they were
teenagers) lets Ray know Mickey is coming to the house to sell back
their own stock shares for a huge payout. Ray refuses the money Mickey
left for him. Molly pretty much assumes Ray buried her father. I do not
recall if she knows her father had raped Ray's sister but she blames
Ray, shooting him in the stomach.

In real life, Ray would have bled out within minutes even if he were
shot whilst lying in an operating theater with a surgical team at hand.
On tv, there's a big set piece of Ray chasing Mickey while barely
conscious, passing out while driving, and Mickey helping Ray back to his
motel room.

I'm really not sure Mickey called for help. He was going to watch his
son bleed out. Bunchy can't show up quickly because Bridget stole his
car and has decided to murder Mickey herself in revenge for Smitty's
death.

She does.

Ray takes the blame for her crime. He has a long telephone therapy
session with Dr. Amiot (Alan Alda) and finally has him call the police.

Ray's son Connor is never mentioned. AJ Michalka shows up briefly as
teenage Abby.

I think teenage Ray was recast. The guy playing Ezra in no way reminded
me of Elliot Gould, especially the voice.

Re: Ray Donovan post-series movie 1/14/2022 (spoilers)

<jukdughlcembl7v3beovr4uu0i1h6d0ggf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138133&group=rec.arts.tv#138133

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 10:07:28 -0500
 by: EGK - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 15:07 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 07:09:57 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>

> [...]
>On tv, there's a big set piece of Ray chasing Mickey while barely
>conscious, passing out while driving, and Mickey helping Ray back to his
>motel room.
>
>I'm really not sure Mickey called for help. He was going to watch his
>son bleed out. Bunchy can't show up quickly because Bridget stole his
>car and has decided to murder Mickey herself in revenge for Smitty's
>death.
>
>She does.
>
>Ray takes the blame for her crime. He has a long telephone therapy
>session with Dr. Amiot (Alan Alda) and finally has him call the police.
>
>Ray's son Connor is never mentioned. AJ Michalka shows up briefly as
>teenage Abby.
>
>I think teenage Ray was recast. The guy playing Ezra in no way reminded
>me of Elliot Gould, especially the voice.

Good synopsis.
This was ok and at least gave some closure but definitely not worthy of a
movie. If they cut all the time showing Ray driving around it would have
been quite a bit shorter and it was only about an hour and a half running
time as it was. It played like a tacked on final episode of the final
season expanded with multiple scenes that could have easily been cut..

It was nice seeing them come full circle and show us Ray's frame-up that
sent Mickey to prison but like you, I think they retconned things to make it
fit the final "Mickey didn't deserve that" lines from Ray. Basically it
ended up being Ray framed his father because his father was an absentee
parent and selfish asshole and not for anything in particular he did.

I guess Ray's final penance to pay for sending his father to the big house
is framing himself. He set himself up to take the wrap for killing Mickey
so Bridget doesn't have to.

The scenes with Molly Sullivan seemed totally surreal and out of place in
this movie. I honestly don't know why they included them other than to
stretch the running time. It's not like they couldn't have come up with a
myriad of ways to have Ray on his deathbed.

When Ray Donovan first started I liked it quite a bit with him as a
Hollywood fixer and always wished they had stayed with that. As the
seasons wore on the ability to suspend disbelief grew. Ray was taking down
powerful mobsters, cops and politicians with what seemed like an
inexhaustible supply of money behind him. Then the Donovan family soap
opera took over the show.

Re: Ray Donovan post-series movie 1/14/2022 (spoilers)

<ss6pv4$jvc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138144&group=rec.arts.tv#138144

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:30:27 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:30 UTC

On 2022-01-18 10:07 AM, EGK wrote:
> [...]
> parent and selfish asshole and not for anything in particular he did.
>
> I guess Ray's final penance to pay for sending his father to the big house
> is framing himself. He set himself up to take the wrap for killing Mickey
> so Bridget doesn't have to.
>
> The scenes with Molly Sullivan seemed totally surreal and out of place in
> this movie. I honestly don't know why they included them other than to
> stretch the running time. It's not like they couldn't have come up with a
> myriad of ways to have Ray on his deathbed.
>
> When Ray Donovan first started I liked it quite a bit with him as a
> Hollywood fixer and always wished they had stayed with that. As the
> seasons wore on the ability to suspend disbelief grew. Ray was taking down
> powerful mobsters, cops and politicians with what seemed like an
> inexhaustible supply of money behind him. Then the Donovan family soap

What was the actual title of this movie? I've been trying to find it but
don't know what I'm looking for....

--
Rhino

Re: Ray Donovan post-series movie 1/14/2022 (spoilers)

<oardugl5ulpobd0v6448m46u4ngp5ev5kh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138146&group=rec.arts.tv#138146

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:40:55 -0500
 by: EGK - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:40 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:30:27 -0500, Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

>On 2022-01-18 10:07 AM, EGK wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 07:09:57 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> p
>>> o
>>> i
>>> l
>>> e

>>> p
>>> a
>>> c

> [...]
>> is framing himself. He set himself up to take the wrap for killing Mickey
>> so Bridget doesn't have to.
>>
>> The scenes with Molly Sullivan seemed totally surreal and out of place in
>> this movie. I honestly don't know why they included them other than to
>> stretch the running time. It's not like they couldn't have come up with a
>> myriad of ways to have Ray on his deathbed.
>>
>> When Ray Donovan first started I liked it quite a bit with him as a
>> Hollywood fixer and always wished they had stayed with that. As the
>> seasons wore on the ability to suspend disbelief grew. Ray was taking down
>> powerful mobsters, cops and politicians with what seemed like an
>> inexhaustible supply of money behind him. Then the Donovan family soap
>> opera took over the show.
>
>What was the actual title of this movie? I've been trying to find it but

Ray Donovan: The Movie [2022]

It was on Showtime but
https://rarbg.to/torrent/h3s2umb

Re: Ray Donovan post-series movie 1/14/2022 (spoilers)

<ss6qul$vtb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138148&group=rec.arts.tv#138148

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:47:14 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:47 UTC

On 2022-01-18 11:40 AM, EGK wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:30:27 -0500, Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-01-18 10:07 AM, EGK wrote:

>>> Good synopsis.
>>> This was ok and at least gave some closure but definitely not worthy of a
>>> movie. If they cut all the time showing Ray driving around it would have
>>> been quite a bit shorter and it was only about an hour and a half running
>>> time as it was. It played like a tacked on final episode of the final
>>> season expanded with multiple scenes that could have easily been cut..
>>>
>>> It was nice seeing them come full circle and show us Ray's frame-up that
>>> sent Mickey to prison but like you, I think they retconned things to make it
>>> fit the final "Mickey didn't deserve that" lines from Ray. Basically it
>>> ended up being Ray framed his father because his father was an absentee
>>> parent and selfish asshole and not for anything in particular he did.
>>>
>>> I guess Ray's final penance to pay for sending his father to the big house
>>> is framing himself. He set himself up to take the wrap for killing Mickey
>>> so Bridget doesn't have to.
>>>
>>> The scenes with Molly Sullivan seemed totally surreal and out of place in
>>> this movie. I honestly don't know why they included them other than to
>>> stretch the running time. It's not like they couldn't have come up with a
>>> myriad of ways to have Ray on his deathbed.
>>>
>>> When Ray Donovan first started I liked it quite a bit with him as a
>>> Hollywood fixer and always wished they had stayed with that. As the
>>> seasons wore on the ability to suspend disbelief grew. Ray was taking down
>>> powerful mobsters, cops and politicians with what seemed like an
>>> inexhaustible supply of money behind him. Then the Donovan family soap
>>> opera took over the show.
>>
>> What was the actual title of this movie? I've been trying to find it but
>> don't know what I'm looking for....
>
> Ray Donovan: The Movie [2022]
>
> It was on Showtime but
> https://rarbg.to/torrent/h3s2umb