From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: George Will on NewsNation
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:52:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:52 UTC

I really should mention that NewsNation has hired George Will to help
cover midterm elections. I have no idea how often he'll be on the air
but that might be a reason to try watching again.

NewsNation is owned by Nexstar Media which bought the broadcast licenses
owned by Trib Media, now defunct, and other television programming assets.
NewsNation is based at the WGN broadcast studios. The studio was last
used for local news programming provided for cable distribution and not
seen on broadcast.

NewsNation has been a huge embarassment. What began as a professional
news operation run by news professionals that was trying to carve out
viewpoint neutral reporting morphed into Fox News lite. The original
producers were forced to resign as more and more former Fox News
executives were hired.

No one watches. It has a few hundred thousand viewers total. I thought
the original incarnation, while viewpoint neutral, was hopelessly bland,
but it was fascinating that they had set up thousands of television
reporters who were full time at local tv stations to contribute as
stringers to the national broadcast. I wasn't interested in what they
chose to cover as it was little more than If It Bleeds, It Leads. Lots
and lots of major storm damage coverage thought as that's always
visually appealing for television.

I haven't bothered to tune in but it looks like they might be changing
direction again.

George Will is a conservative commentator, with some libertarian leanings,
who writes a column distributed by Washington Post. Chicago Tribune used
to regularly feature the column but for the last few years he almost
never appears.

Here are some recent columns:

Why threatening Putin with sanctions over Ukraine won't be enough
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/12/threatening-sanctions-on-putin-over-ukraine-not-enough/

As Putin bullies Ukraine, signs rise of European unity in opposition
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/10/signs-of-european-unity-against-putin-bullying-ukraine/

Two cheers for the first college football national championship of the
name-image-likeness era
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/07/alabama-georgia-ncaa-national-championship-nil/

The brutal racial politics of the Indian Child Welfare Act
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/05/brutal-indian-child-welfare-act/

In an acrimonious time, some welcome fresh attention to Socrates and the
art of civilized arguing
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/12/31/harvard-classics-socrates-how-to-argue/

Farewell, 2021, year of weird speaking
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/12/29/end-of-2021-weird-speaking-progressive-jargon/

The Supreme Court has a fresh chance to rein in police lawlessness
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/12/22/supreme-court-has-fresh-chance-rein-police-lawlessness/