Keep up the good work! But please don't ask me to help.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Pete
| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
| | +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Pete
| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
| |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
| |   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
| |    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
| |     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
| |      `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
| |       `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)A Friend
| |        `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk
     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
      `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<UBI20220111@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136629&group=rec.arts.tv#136629

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 09:30 UTC

I watched:

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"Give Them Lala". Katie and Ariana become business partners; Lala celebrates
her fiscal independence by throwing a party; James battles his controlling
impulses as Raquel's sister suggests a bachelorette party for the future
bride.

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"Unprogress Party". Schwartz & Sandoval throw a progress party to show off
their new bar to their friends; Lisa, Ariana & Katie brainstorm ideas for
their sandwich shop; Scheana embraces signing a prenuptial; Brock's attempt
to hold James accountable backfires.

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"Between a Brock and a Hard Place". Ariana and Katie convinces Randall to
invest in their sandwich shop; Sandoval is having second thoughts about
helping Brock with his plan to marry Scheana; the gang travel to a winery in
Santa Ynez for James and Raquel's engagement.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srmi82$a08$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136634&group=rec.arts.tv#136634

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 04:40:34 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 12:40 UTC

On 2022-01-12 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I mostly finished out "Dickinson"...:

soaps: DOOL - In a "shocking" development, Allie and NuChanel go to bed
together - is there literally *anyone on the planet* who did not see
this coming?!?!! - but in a twist, traditionalist Paulina spies them
and is shocked(!!). "Demon Johnny" somehow "mind-pods" silly Susan
Banks and has her leave town. No one cares, but Ciara and Ben are
trying to resist finding out the sex of their baby.
GH - ...Was interrupted by irrelevant, impotent blovioating by
sleepy Uncle Joe, so I had to pull Tues' ep off the ABC app. Willow,
trying to play peacemaker (and failing!), offers Nina a laughable
"deal", that Nina is about to rightly laugh out of the room. Britt and
Austin attempt to go out as prowling singles and strike out. Laura
confronts Victor Cassadine. Sonny (who has failed to refill the
prescription to his Lithium meds) tries to reconcile with FauxCarly,
but unsurprisingly the bitch wants nothing to do with it.

Dickinson (Apple TV+) - Last 3 episodes of the series. On balance, I
liked season #3 the least (by far!), but the series finale was decent
enough (though they pretty much massively hit "reset buttons" to make
that happen).
I do wonder what the series would have been like if they had tried
to run it, say, 5 seasons, and attempted to portray the backend of
Emily Dickinson's life...

In the evening, I put "Ant-Man" (on TNT) on as background noise -
either "Ant-Man" movie is always a fine choice for "background noise"!
;)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136687&group=rec.arts.tv#136687

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 12:19:08 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:19 UTC

On 1/12/2022 4:40 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-01-12 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I mostly finished out "Dickinson"...:
>
> soaps: DOOL - In a "shocking" development, Allie and NuChanel go to bed
> together - is there literally *anyone on the planet* who did not see
> this coming?!?!! - but in a twist, traditionalist Paulina spies them and
> is shocked(!!). "Demon Johnny" somehow "mind-pods" silly Susan Banks and
> has her leave town. No one cares, but Ciara and Ben are trying to resist
> finding out the sex of their baby.
>   GH - ...Was interrupted by irrelevant, impotent blovioating by sleepy
> Uncle Joe, so I had to pull Tues' ep off the ABC app. Willow, trying to
> play peacemaker (and failing!), offers Nina a laughable "deal", that
> Nina is about to rightly laugh out of the room. Britt and Austin attempt
> to go out as prowling singles and strike out. Laura confronts Victor
> Cassadine. Sonny (who has failed to refill the prescription to his
> Lithium meds) tries to reconcile with FauxCarly, but unsurprisingly the
> bitch wants nothing to do with it.
>
> Dickinson (Apple TV+) - Last 3 episodes of the series. On balance, I
> liked season #3 the least (by far!), but the series finale was decent
> enough (though they pretty much massively hit "reset buttons" to make
> that happen).
>   I do wonder what the series would have been like if they had tried to
> run it, say, 5 seasons, and attempted to portray the backend of Emily
> Dickinson's life...
>
> In the evening, I put "Ant-Man" (on TNT) on as background noise - either
> "Ant-Man" movie is always a fine choice for "background noise"! ;)

I'll revisit the Ant-Man movies before the next one. I agree they are
"background noise" types of movies, but I still like them.

I watched:

Yellowjackets - "Doomcoming" - I think this was the penultimate episode.
It *finally* happened, what we've all been waiting for! The girls
went full "Lord of the Flies" in the last episode! Meanwhile in the
present, no one cares! Just focus on the island flashbacks!

Superman & Lois - "What Lies Beneath" - This was the season 2 premier (I
didn't realize that) which picks up a few months after the events of the
finale and properly introduces John Henry's alternate universe daughter.

Naomi - Pilot for the new CW superhero series. I was a little confused
at first because there was so much talk about Superman, and even
included Superman showing up to fight a villain. But then it turns out
Superman is just a comic book character and the fight was faked. Or
maybe not? I hope they aren't pulling a "Black Lighting" where other
super heroes aren't real, until they are. Anyway, this new series
follows a young girl who is a huge fan of comics, and Superman in
particular, and by the end of the episode it was revealed that she is an
alien and I guess has super powers.

Black-ish - "The Natural" - Mostly background noise.

This Is Us - "One Giant Leap" - Mostly background noise.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srnn7b$1npd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136727&group=rec.arts.tv#136727

From: neverl...@GoodeveCa.net (Pete)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:11:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: neverland@GoodeveCa.net (Pete)
 by: Pete - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:11 UTC

In article <srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Naomi - Pilot for the new CW superhero series. I was a little confused
>at first because there was so much talk about Superman, and even
>included Superman showing up to fight a villain. But then it turns out
>Superman is just a comic book character and the fight was faked. Or
>maybe not? I hope they aren't pulling a "Black Lighting" where other
>super heroes aren't real, until they are. Anyway, this new series
>follows a young girl who is a huge fan of comics, and Superman in
>particular, and by the end of the episode it was revealed that she is an
>alien and I guess has super powers.

Glad someone else watched it, too! Was afraid I might be the only one. (:-/)
I found I rather liked it. Pretty high on "diversity" -- Naomi is black
(well actually an alien, it seems...) with adoptive white military father
and Indian mother, and lots more diversity in the rest of the cast, but
-- unlike probably some here (:-/)-- that didn't bother my Anglo-Celtic
soul! I was similarly initially confused by the "Superman" bits, but
they cleared that up. I'm intrigued enough to continue with it.

I checked on IMDB afterward for others' opinions. Only one pro review,
which was pretty positive too, quite a few '1/10' reviews, mostly dated
before the screening (!) and a few '10/10's from people who'd actually
seen it, often pointing out that the phony 1/10s were expected!

-- Pete --

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srno6c$ueq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136734&group=rec.arts.tv#136734

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 15:28:08 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:28 UTC

On 1/12/2022 3:11 PM, Pete wrote:
> In article <srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>> Naomi - Pilot for the new CW superhero series. I was a little confused
>> at first because there was so much talk about Superman, and even
>> included Superman showing up to fight a villain. But then it turns out
>> Superman is just a comic book character and the fight was faked. Or
>> maybe not? I hope they aren't pulling a "Black Lighting" where other
>> super heroes aren't real, until they are. Anyway, this new series
>> follows a young girl who is a huge fan of comics, and Superman in
>> particular, and by the end of the episode it was revealed that she is an
>> alien and I guess has super powers.
>>
> Glad someone else watched it, too! Was afraid I might be the only one. (:-/)
> I found I rather liked it. Pretty high on "diversity" -- Naomi is black
> (well actually an alien, it seems...) with adoptive white military father
> and Indian mother, and lots more diversity in the rest of the cast, but
> -- unlike probably some here (:-/)-- that didn't bother my Anglo-Celtic
> soul! I was similarly initially confused by the "Superman" bits, but
> they cleared that up.

What was the clear up? I'm not buying guy with a jet pack! But if
Superman is real, then why does everyone think he's a fictional guy in a
comic? But before they said that, they were acting as if he was always
real. Or at least they seemed to be. I'm confused!!!!

Or maybe it was someone with powers pretending to be Superman?

I'm intrigued enough to continue with it.

> I checked on IMDB afterward for others' opinions. Only one pro review,
> which was pretty positive too, quite a few '1/10' reviews, mostly dated
> before the screening (!) and a few '10/10's from people who'd actually
> seen it, often pointing out that the phony 1/10s were expected!
>
> -- Pete --

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srnpju$jfd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136743&group=rec.arts.tv#136743

From: neverl...@GoodeveCa.net (Pete)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:52:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Pete - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:52 UTC

In article <srno6c$ueq$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 1/12/2022 3:11 PM, Pete wrote:
>> In article <srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Naomi - Pilot for the new CW superhero series. I was a little confused
>>> at first because there was so much talk about Superman, and even
>>> included Superman showing up to fight a villain. But then it turns out
>>> Superman is just a comic book character and the fight was faked. Or
>>> maybe not? I hope they aren't pulling a "Black Lighting" where other
>>> super heroes aren't real, until they are. Anyway, this new series
>>> follows a young girl who is a huge fan of comics, and Superman in
>>> particular, and by the end of the episode it was revealed that she is an
>>> alien and I guess has super powers.
>>>
>> Glad someone else watched it, too! Was afraid I might be the only one. (:-/)
>> I found I rather liked it. Pretty high on "diversity" -- Naomi is black
>> (well actually an alien, it seems...) with adoptive white military father
>> and Indian mother, and lots more diversity in the rest of the cast, but
>> -- unlike probably some here (:-/)-- that didn't bother my Anglo-Celtic
>> soul! I was similarly initially confused by the "Superman" bits, but
>> they cleared that up.
>

>What was the clear up? I'm not buying guy with a jet pack! But if
>Superman is real, then why does everyone think he's a fictional guy in a
>comic? But before they said that, they were acting as if he was always
>real. Or at least they seemed to be. I'm confused!!!!

I guess it depends on your definition of "clear up"! They at least
made it clear that it wasn't "Superman" (or a guy with a jet-pack!),
but I admit that the early sequence, before I knew anything about
the show, was confusing. Needs a rewatch.

>Or maybe it was someone with powers pretending to be Superman?

It was established that it wasn't "Superman", anyway!
Hopefully things will become clearer in future episodes.

-- Pete --

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<1284708091.663728309.245437.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136755&group=rec.arts.tv#136755

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:20:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 01:20 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 1/12/2022 3:11 PM, Pete wrote:
>> In article <srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Naomi - Pilot for the new CW superhero series. I was a little confused
>>> at first because there was so much talk about Superman, and even
>>> included Superman showing up to fight a villain. But then it turns out
>>> Superman is just a comic book character and the fight was faked. Or
>>> maybe not? I hope they aren't pulling a "Black Lighting" where other
>>> super heroes aren't real, until they are. Anyway, this new series
>>> follows a young girl who is a huge fan of comics, and Superman in
>>> particular, and by the end of the episode it was revealed that she is an
>>> alien and I guess has super powers.
>>>
>> Glad someone else watched it, too! Was afraid I might be the only one. (:-/)
>> I found I rather liked it. Pretty high on "diversity" --

That’s the entire point of the Naomi comic

Naomi is black
>> (well actually an alien, it seems...) with adoptive white military father
>> and Indian mother, and lots more diversity in the rest of the cast, but
>> -- unlike probably some here (:-/)-- that didn't bother my Anglo-Celtic
>> soul! I was similarly initially confused by the "Superman" bits, but
>> they cleared that up.
>

> What was the clear up? I'm not buying guy with a jet pack! But if
> Superman is real, then why does everyone think he's a fictional guy in a
> comic? But before they said that, they were acting as if he was always
> real. Or at least they seemed to be. I'm confused!!!!
>
> Or maybe it was someone with powers pretending to be Superman?
>

> I'm intrigued enough to continue with it.

I am not sure “alien“ is the right word for her. In the comics she seems to
have pretty much the exact same origin as John Henry’s daughter on Superman
and Lois. Last survivor of an alternate Earth. And in the comic she comes
to Earth zero which I’m going to have to look up but sounds like it’s the
main Earth and has Superman, Batman etc. So if people doubt Superman on the
planet she’s on they’ve already gone far afield of the original.

Also, does this mean that despite them denying there’s a multi-verse, all
the DC shows are now set on alternate Earths? Superman must be on its own
little planet. Apparently so is Naomi. I guess the Flash and Batteredwoman
are on the same planet now (they didn’t used to be) but he won’t be around
much longer. Supergirl is gone. Doom Patrol is on two different Earths, the
original being on Earth Titan. Stargirl SG1 is on her own planet isn’t
she? So once the Flash closes his doors every DC show I can think of will
be in its own reality.

OK, Siri says that Earth zero is one of several designations given to the
main Earth that used to be Earth one and sometimes Earth prime. That’s
where Supergirl was post Crisis and I guess the Flash and Batteredwoman
currently are. So it doesn’t sound like that’s where Naomi is on TV.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<sro1pu$ge1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136765&group=rec.arts.tv#136765

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:12:11 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 02:12 UTC

On 1/12/2022 5:20 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 1/12/2022 3:11 PM, Pete wrote:

>>> Glad someone else watched it, too! Was afraid I might be the only one. (:-/)
>>> I found I rather liked it. Pretty high on "diversity" --
>
> That’s the entire point of the Naomi comic
>

> Naomi is black
>>> (well actually an alien, it seems...) with adoptive white military father
>>> and Indian mother, and lots more diversity in the rest of the cast, but
>>> -- unlike probably some here (:-/)-- that didn't bother my Anglo-Celtic
>>> soul! I was similarly initially confused by the "Superman" bits, but
>>> they cleared that up.
>>

>> What was the clear up? I'm not buying guy with a jet pack! But if
>> Superman is real, then why does everyone think he's a fictional guy in a
>> comic? But before they said that, they were acting as if he was always
>> real. Or at least they seemed to be. I'm confused!!!!
>>
>> Or maybe it was someone with powers pretending to be Superman?
>>

>> I'm intrigued enough to continue with it.
>>>

> I am not sure “alien“ is the right word for her. In the comics she seems to
> have pretty much the exact same origin as John Henry’s daughter on Superman
> and Lois.

This is sounding spoilerish. I'll save for later. :-)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<1047779617.663686950.948736.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136791&group=rec.arts.tv#136791

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:40:03 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 02:40 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

SUPERMAN AND HIS SKANKY ASS UGLY SLUT BITCH WIFE S02E01
I have no idea how this ended up on the DVR. It didn’t tell me it was going
to record it and it didn’t tell me it had recorded it it just sort of
automatically showed up like around the world in 80 days does.
I have no idea what the hell was going on in most of this. They do know
there are parallel worlds although they call them dimensions. Some black
guy and his daughter show up from a dimension that was destroyed by crazy
kryptonians. Apparently in his dimension he was married to Lois and she’s
the girls mother. In this dimension Lois was a big old slut and used to
whore around and laughs about it still and got pregnant with this
universe‘s version of the daughter and lost it and spends the entire
episode screaming at her sons for wanting to have smoochies because she
doesn’t want them being garbage like she was which is probably a good call.
Also she’s so thin that even in pants she looks like her ankles would just
snap under her weight except she can’t weigh 100 pounds. At the end they
invite the two people from the other universe to live with them in the Kent
home in Smallville because sure they have extra bedrooms in that little
house right?
On the superman front he rescues a Korean submarine and the US government
is mad at him for giving it back to the Koreans. Somebody should have
noticed that since he just set it on the ground it will probably never sail
again anyway. Meanwhile he’s having headaches and what the previews for
next week referred to as visions.
Lana Lang‘s daughter comes back from a month (!) At summer camp fat and
wearing jeans she really really can’t get away with anymore. She’s also
clearly been emulating Lois while she was at camp and doesn’t want to tell
her boyfriend, Lois‘s creepy son, what she’s been doing so she tells him
she’s all crampy instead.
This was really really really awful.
Oh yeah and there’s some Superman merchandise for sale in Smallville and
for some bizarre reason it’s all the real costume from the silver age
comics and doesn’t look much like what the guy in the show here wears at
all. I assume they were just too cheap to come up with merchandise that
matches the show. Maybe they haven’t ever made any.

At the end of it I caught the first couple minutes of their new show Naomi.
They were talking about superman a lot but then they said he’s not real so
I guess she’s in yet another of the dimensions that the flash continues to
insist no longer exist.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<1054728862.663715119.254709.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136793&group=rec.arts.tv#136793

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:40:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 02:40 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 1/12/2022 4:40 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-01-12 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I mostly finished out "Dickinson"...:
>>
>> soaps: DOOL - In a "shocking" development, Allie and NuChanel go to bed
>> together - is there literally *anyone on the planet* who did not see
>> this coming?!?!! - but in a twist, traditionalist Paulina spies them and
>> is shocked(!!). "Demon Johnny" somehow "mind-pods" silly Susan Banks and
>> has her leave town. No one cares, but Ciara and Ben are trying to resist
>> finding out the sex of their baby.
>>   GH - ...Was interrupted by irrelevant, impotent blovioating by sleepy
>> Uncle Joe, so I had to pull Tues' ep off the ABC app. Willow, trying to
>> play peacemaker (and failing!), offers Nina a laughable "deal", that
>> Nina is about to rightly laugh out of the room. Britt and Austin attempt
>> to go out as prowling singles and strike out. Laura confronts Victor
>> Cassadine. Sonny (who has failed to refill the prescription to his
>> Lithium meds) tries to reconcile with FauxCarly, but unsurprisingly the
>> bitch wants nothing to do with it.
>>
>> Dickinson (Apple TV+) - Last 3 episodes of the series. On balance, I
>> liked season #3 the least (by far!), but the series finale was decent
>> enough (though they pretty much massively hit "reset buttons" to make
>> that happen).
>>   I do wonder what the series would have been like if they had tried to
>> run it, say, 5 seasons, and attempted to portray the backend of Emily
>> Dickinson's life...
>>
>> In the evening, I put "Ant-Man" (on TNT) on as background noise - either
>> "Ant-Man" movie is always a fine choice for "background noise"! ;)
>>

> I'll revisit the Ant-Man movies before the next one. I agree they are
> "background noise" types of movies, but I still like them.

I think that excellent chase sequence and fight on the docks where they
keep changing size rises a little bit above background noise.

> I watched:
>

> Yellowjackets - "Doomcoming" - I think this was the penultimate episode.
> It *finally* happened, what we've all been waiting for! The girls
> went full "Lord of the Flies" in the last episode! Meanwhile in the
> present, no one cares! Just focus on the island flashbacks!
>

> Superman & Lois - "What Lies Beneath" - This was the season 2 premier (I
> didn't realize that) which picks up a few months after the events of the
> finale and properly introduces John Henry's alternate universe daughter.

Oh, that’s who that is. Thanks, I never caught his name. I thought maybe it
was the other Lex Luthor which shows you how long it has been since I
watched this wretched show.

> Naomi - Pilot for the new CW superhero series. I was a little confused
> at first because there was so much talk about Superman, and even
> included Superman showing up to fight a villain. But then

I had long since turned it off. Was the superman they saw the one from the
CW show?

it turns out
> Superman is just a comic book character and the fight was faked. Or
> maybe not? I hope they aren't pulling a "Black Lighting" where other
> super heroes aren't real, until they are. Anyway, this new series
> follows a young girl who is a huge fan of comics, and Superman in
> particular, and by the end of the episode it was revealed that she is an
> alien and I guess has super powers.
>

> Black-ish - "The Natural" - Mostly background noise.
>

> This Is Us - "One Giant Leap" - Mostly background noise.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<57168306.663735148.805444.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136800&group=rec.arts.tv#136800

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:01:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 03:01 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 1/12/2022 5:20 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> That’s the entire point of the Naomi comic
>>

>> Naomi is black
>>>

>>> What was the clear up? I'm not buying guy with a jet pack! But if
>>> Superman is real, then why does everyone think he's a fictional guy in a
>>> comic? But before they said that, they were acting as if he was always
>>> real. Or at least they seemed to be. I'm confused!!!!
>>>
>>> Or maybe it was someone with powers pretending to be Superman?
>>>

>>> I'm intrigued enough to continue with it.
>>>>

>> I am not sure “alien“ is the right word for her. In the comics she seems to
>> have pretty much the exact same origin as John Henry’s daughter on Superman
>> and Lois.
>
> This is sounding spoilerish. I'll save for later. :-)

OK that’ll save me having to put a spoiler warning on this. :-) Although
it’s partly speculative and not much of a spoiler no matter what.

I have now watched the episode on the CW app or on demand or whatever the
DVR invokes and read a couple outside articles and watched an interview
with the star.

She is in a different Earth than the other shows. If and when Superman
shows up even if he’s played by the guy from Superman and Lois it won’t be
the same character. I guess maybe the same actor plays Superman in all
these universities but isn’t really the same guy. They are being cagey
about whether there are any other superheroes on her earth.

I can’t believe they’re doing the “her glasses suppress her powers“ bit
from stupidgirl.

It’s pretty much the same group dynamic as first season Supergirl as well.

That said it’s not a bad show and the lead actress is certainly engaging.
It’s just incredibly derivative.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srp4cf$h5t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136859&group=rec.arts.tv#136859

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 07:02:22 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:02 UTC

In article <srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Naomi - Pilot for the new CW superhero series. I was a little confused
>at first because there was so much talk about Superman, and even
>included Superman showing up to fight a villain. But then it turns out
>Superman is just a comic book character and the fight was faked. Or
>maybe not? I hope they aren't pulling a "Black Lighting" where other
>super heroes aren't real, until they are. Anyway, this new series
>follows a young girl who is a huge fan of comics, and Superman in
>particular, and by the end of the episode it was revealed that she is an
>alien and I guess has super powers.

I saw a LOT of commercials for this show!
I think it's based on a real comic book.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srp4rl$h5t$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136862&group=rec.arts.tv#136862

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 07:10:29 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:10 UTC

And Superman.
https://superheroeseveryday.com/2021/12/20/superman-1-76/

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srp5cd$h5t$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136863&group=rec.arts.tv#136863

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 07:19:24 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:19 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
>Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>SUPERMAN AND HIS SKANKY ASS UGLY SLUT BITCH WIFE S02E01
>I have no idea how this ended up on the DVR. It didn�t tell me it was going
>to record it and it didn�t tell me it had recorded it it just sort of
>automatically showed up like around the world in 80 days does.
>I have no idea what the hell was going on in most of this. They do know
>there are parallel worlds although they call them dimensions. Some black
>guy and his daughter show up from a dimension that was destroyed by crazy
>kryptonians. Apparently in his dimension he was married to Lois and she�s
>the girls mother. In this dimension Lois was a big old slut and used to
>whore around and laughs about it still and got pregnant with this
>universe�s version of the daughter and lost it and spends the entire
>episode screaming at her sons for wanting to have smoochies because she
>doesn�t want them being garbage like she was which is probably a good call.
> Also she�s so thin that even in pants she looks like her ankles would just
>snap under her weight except she can�t weigh 100 pounds. At the end they
>invite the two people from the other universe to live with them in the Kent
>home in Smallville because sure they have extra bedrooms in that little
>house right?
>On the superman front he rescues a Korean submarine and the US government
>is mad at him for giving it back to the Koreans. Somebody should have
>noticed that since he just set it on the ground it will probably never sail
>again anyway. Meanwhile he�s having headaches and what the previews for
>next week referred to as visions.
>Lana Lang�s daughter comes back from a month (!) At summer camp fat and
>wearing jeans she really really can�t get away with anymore. She�s also
>clearly been emulating Lois while she was at camp and doesn�t want to tell
>her boyfriend, Lois�s creepy son, what she�s been doing so she tells him
>she�s all crampy instead.
>This was really really really awful.
>Oh yeah and there�s some Superman merchandise for sale in Smallville and
>for some bizarre reason it�s all the real costume from the silver age
>comics and doesn�t look much like what the guy in the show here wears at
>all. I assume they were just too cheap to come up with merchandise that
>matches the show. Maybe they haven�t ever made any.

I only watched the last 30 mimutes or so of the pilot. but I remember someone
saying this Superman chnaged his costume several times, matching the comics.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<214298852.663772706.707900.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136917&group=rec.arts.tv#136917

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:48:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 16:48 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> SUPERMAN AND HIS SKANKY ASS UGLY SLUT BITCH WIFE S02E01
>> I have no idea how this ended up on the DVR. It didn’t tell me it was going
>> to record it and it didn’t tell me it had recorded it it just sort of
>> automatically showed up like around the world in 80 days does.
>> I have no idea what the hell was going on in most of this. They do know
>> there are parallel worlds although they call them dimensions. Some black
>> guy and his daughter show up from a dimension that was destroyed by crazy
>> kryptonians. Apparently in his dimension he was married to Lois and she’s
>> the girls mother. In this dimension Lois was a big old slut and used to
>> whore around and laughs about it still and got pregnant with this
>> universe‘s version of the daughter and lost it and spends the entire
>> episode screaming at her sons for wanting to have smoochies because she
>> doesn’t want them being garbage like she was which is probably a good call.
>> Also she’s so thin that even in pants she looks like her ankles would just
>> snap under her weight except she can’t weigh 100 pounds. At the end they
>> invite the two people from the other universe to live with them in the Kent
>> home in Smallville because sure they have extra bedrooms in that little
>> house right?
>> On the superman front he rescues a Korean submarine and the US government
>> is mad at him for giving it back to the Koreans. Somebody should have
>> noticed that since he just set it on the ground it will probably never sail
>> again anyway. Meanwhile he’s having headaches and what the previews for
>> next week referred to as visions.
>> Lana Lang‘s daughter comes back from a month (!) At summer camp fat and
>> wearing jeans she really really can’t get away with anymore. She’s also
>> clearly been emulating Lois while she was at camp and doesn’t want to tell
>> her boyfriend, Lois‘s creepy son, what she’s been doing so she tells him
>> she’s all crampy instead.
>> This was really really really awful.
>> Oh yeah and there’s some Superman merchandise for sale in Smallville and
>> for some bizarre reason it’s all the real costume from the silver age
>> comics and doesn’t look much like what the guy in the show here wears at
>> all. I assume they were just too cheap to come up with merchandise that
>> matches the show. Maybe they haven’t ever made any.
>
> I only watched the last 30 mimutes or so of the pilot. but I remember someone
> saying this Superman chnaged his costume several times, matching the comics.

I only remember two costumes. He had one that looked like the comics when
he first appeared and said his mother made it for him and then they jumped
forward and he was in the ugly stupid costume that looks like stupid girls
ugly stupid costume.

Now stupid girl tried out several different outfits in her Pilot.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<252492532.663772639.109498.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136918&group=rec.arts.tv#136918

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:48:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 16:48 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> This is sounding spoilerish. I'll save for later. :-)
>>
>> OK that'll save me having to put a spoiler warning on this. :-) Although
>> it's partly speculative and not much of a spoiler no matter what.
>>
>> I have now watched the episode on the CW app or on demand or whatever the
>> DVR invokes and read a couple outside articles and watched an interview
>> with the star.
>>
>> She is in a different Earth than the other shows. If and when Superman
>> shows up even if he's played by the guy from Superman and Lois it won’t be
>> the same character. I guess maybe the same actor plays Superman in all
>> these universities but isn't really the same guy. They are being cagey
>> about whether there are any other superheroes on her earth.
>>
>> I can't believe they're doing the “her glasses suppress her powers“ bit
>> from stupidgirl.
>
> And Superman.
> https://superheroeseveryday.com/2021/12/20/superman-1-76/

Wow. Just … wow.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<srq0jp$t0q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136954&group=rec.arts.tv#136954

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:04:08 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:04 UTC

Yeah.

I thought this came up before.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<130120221705577045%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=136971&group=rec.arts.tv#136971

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <UBI20220111@dont-email.me> <srmi82$a08$1@dont-email.me> <srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me> <srnn7b$1npd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srno6c$ueq$1@dont-email.me> <1284708091.663728309.245437.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <sro1pu$ge1$1@dont-email.me> <57168306.663735148.805444.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <srp4rl$h5t$3@dont-email.me> <252492532.663772639.109498.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <srq0jp$t0q$2@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 17:05:57 -0500
 by: A Friend - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 22:05 UTC

In article <srq0jp$t0q$2@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> >> And Superman.
> >> https://superheroeseveryday.com/2021/12/20/superman-1-76/
> >
> >Wow. Just ... wow.
>
> Yeah.
>
> I thought this came up before.

I used to know the writer. This was a story Julie wanted and the
writer thought it was a terrible idea, but here we are 50 years later
still talking about it.

The glasses disguise worked because it *did*. It's as simple as flying.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<n7adnW5TsbZmo3z8nZ2dnUU7-dudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137063&group=rec.arts.tv#137063

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:04:09 -0500

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> SUPERMAN AND HIS SKANKY ASS UGLY SLUT BITCH WIFE S02E01
>>> I have no idea how this ended up on the DVR. It didn't tell me it was going
>>> to record it and it didn't tell me it had recorded it it just sort of
>>> automatically showed up like around the world in 80 days does.
>>> I have no idea what the hell was going on in most of this. They do know
>>> there are parallel worlds although they call them dimensions. Some black
>>> guy and his daughter show up from a dimension that was destroyed by crazy
>>> kryptonians. Apparently in his dimension he was married to Lois and she's
>>> the girls mother. In this dimension Lois was a big old slut and used to
>>> whore around and laughs about it still and got pregnant with this
>>> universe's version of the daughter and lost it and spends the entire
>>> episode screaming at her sons for wanting to have smoochies because she
>>> doesn't want them being garbage like she was which is probably a good call.
>>> Also she's so thin that even in pants she looks like her ankles would just
>>> snap under her weight except she can’t weigh 100 pounds. At the end they
>>> invite the two people from the other universe to live with them in the Kent
>>> home in Smallville because sure they have extra bedrooms in that little
>>> house right?
>>> On the superman front he rescues a Korean submarine and the US government
>>> is mad at him for giving it back to the Koreans. Somebody should have
>>> noticed that since he just set it on the ground it will probably never sail
>>> again anyway. Meanwhile he's having headaches and what the previews for
>>> next week referred to as visions.
>>> Lana Lang's daughter comes back from a month (!) At summer camp fat and
>>> wearing jeans she really really can't get away with anymore. She's also
>>> clearly been emulating Lois while she was at camp and doesn't want to tell
>>> her boyfriend, Lois's creepy son, what she's been doing so she tells him
>>> she's all crampy instead.
>>> This was really really really awful.
>>> Oh yeah and there's some Superman merchandise for sale in Smallville and
>>> for some bizarre reason it’s all the real costume from the silver age
>>> comics and doesn't look much like what the guy in the show here wears at
>>> all. I assume they were just too cheap to come up with merchandise that
>>> matches the show. Maybe they haven't ever made any.
>>
>> I only watched the last 30 mimutes or so of the pilot. but I remember
>> someone saying this Superman chnaged his costume several times, matching
>> the comics.
>
>I only remember two costumes. He had one that looked like the comics when
>he first appeared and said his mother made it for him and then they jumped
>forward and he was in the ugly stupid costume that looks like stupid girls
>ugly stupid costume.
>
>Now stupid girl tried out several different outfits in her Pilot.

Dean Kane's Superman did the same, but better.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<721347035.663860713.290743.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137082&group=rec.arts.tv#137082

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 06:46:38 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 13:46 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> I only watched the last 30 mimutes or so of the pilot. but I remember
>>> someone saying this Superman chnaged his costume several times, matching
>>> the comics.
>>
>> I only remember two costumes. He had one that looked like the comics when
>> he first appeared and said his mother made it for him and then they jumped
>> forward and he was in the ugly stupid costume that looks like stupid girls
>> ugly stupid costume.
>>
>> Now stupid girl tried out several different outfits in her Pilot.
>
> Dean Kane's Superman did the same, but better.

They kept changing Cain’s outfit all the time. Especially the Cape.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<282dnXvA_vw8EHv8nZ2dnUU7-aednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138094&group=rec.arts.tv#138094

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
References: <UBI20220111@dont-email.me> <srmi82$a08$1@dont-email.me> <srnd3v$ig6$1@dont-email.me> <srnn7b$1npd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srno6c$ueq$1@dont-email.me> <1284708091.663728309.245437.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <sro1pu$ge1$1@dont-email.me> <57168306.663735148.805444.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <srp4rl$h5t$3@dont-email.me> <252492532.663772639.109498.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <srq0jp$t0q$2@dont-email.me> <130120221705577045%nope@noway.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 04:30:42 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:30 UTC

nope@noway.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>> Wow. Just ... wow.
>>
>> Yeah.
>>
>> I thought this came up before.
>
>I used to know the writer. This was a story Julie wanted and the
>writer thought it was a terrible idea, but here we are 50 years later
>still talking about it.
>
>The glasses disguise worked because it *did*. It's as simple as flying.

I knew it was a trope of the genre and didn't care.

I could have acepted the explaination, but then they doubled down on it and
claimed that photoes and images of him had a residual heepnotic effect...

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<282dnXTA_vwuDXv8nZ2dnUU7-aednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138098&group=rec.arts.tv#138098

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 04:30:45 -0500

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>>> I only remember two costumes. He had one that looked like the comics when
>>> he first appeared and said his mother made it for him and then they jumped
>>> forward and he was in the ugly stupid costume that looks like stupid girls
>>> ugly stupid costume.
>>>
>>> Now stupid girl tried out several different outfits in her Pilot.
>>
>> Dean Kane's Superman did the same, but better.
>
>They kept changing Cain's outfit all the time. Especially the Cape.

They did? I do not remember!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-11 (Tuesday)

<295391744.664197535.215521.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138120&group=rec.arts.tv#138120

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 04:26:42 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:26 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> Dean Kane's Superman did the same, but better.
>>
>> They kept changing Cain's outfit all the time. Especially the Cape.
>
> They did? I do not remember!

Yeah, they had (at least) different cape attachments and different
variations on the \S/. Even after they settled on the costume pictures of
the less accurate ones were still in the series opening.