The sixth sheik's sixth sheep's sick. [so say said sentence sextuply...]

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

SubjectAuthor
* New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesBTR1701
+* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesBTR1701
| `* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesmoviePig
|  +* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesBTR1701
|  |`* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesmoviePig
|  | `- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Ratestrotsky
|  `* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesAdam H. Kerman
|   +- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Ratesdanny burstein
|   +* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesRhino
|   |+- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesAdam H. Kerman
|   |+* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesThe Horny Goat
|   ||`- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesAdam H. Kerman
|   |`- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesUbiquitous
|   `- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesUbiquitous
+* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesNyssa
|`* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesRhino
| `* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesNyssa
|  `* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesRhino
|   `* Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesNyssa
|    `- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesRhino
`- Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax RatesUbiquitous

1
New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<jNednfq7TrNh4n_8nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137277&group=rec.arts.tv#137277

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 02:04:12 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:04 UTC

"Soon after the efforts to discredit COVID-19 vaccinations began, in late
2020, Latinx people were among the groups more hesitant to get the shots.
Many researchers believe that misinformation campaigns are to blame."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-latinx-community-and-covid-disinformation-campaigns

Or it could be that there just aren't that many "Latinks" people around.
The WhiteX 'progressives' are apparently still clueless about Latinos.

The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently responded thusly to a
media person referring to her as a 'Latinks' LAPD detective:

"Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is showing. I am
Latina or Latino, you can use either one. Our entire language is gendered.
It is ancient and full of rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they can feel good
about themselves. The bed is female (la cama), the car is male (el coche)
etc. I'm offended that you are trying to appropriate my culture."

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<srvo34$asn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137435&group=rec.arts.tv#137435

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 00:15:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 00:15 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>"Soon after the efforts to discredit COVID-19 vaccinations began, in late
>2020, Latinx people were among the groups more hesitant to get the shots.
>Many researchers believe that misinformation campaigns are to blame."

>https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-latinx-community-and-covid-disinformation-campaigns

>Or it could be that there just aren't that many "Latinks" people around.
>The WhiteX 'progressives' are apparently still clueless about Latinos.

>The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently responded thusly to a
>media person referring to her as a 'Latinks' LAPD detective:

>"Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is showing. I am
>Latina or Latino, you can use either one. Our entire language is gendered.
>It is ancient and full of rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
>condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they can feel good
>about themselves. The bed is female (la cama), the car is male (el coche)
>etc. I'm offended that you are trying to appropriate my culture."

I love her.

How is your Canadianx former girlfriend doing these days?

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<wbidncHoXcrG7X78nZ2dnUU7-Y_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137442&group=rec.arts.tv#137442

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 19:09:47 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 01:09 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Soon after the efforts to discredit COVID-19 vaccinations began, in late
>> 2020, Latinx people were among the groups more hesitant to get the shots.
>> Many researchers believe that misinformation campaigns are to blame."
>
>> https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-latinx-community-and-covid-disinformation-campaigns
>
>> Or it could be that there just aren't that many "Latinks" people around.
>> The WhiteX 'progressives' are apparently still clueless about Latinos.
>
>> The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently responded thusly to a
>> media person referring to her as a 'Latinks' LAPD detective:
>
>> "Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is showing. I am
>> Latina or Latino, you can use either one. Our entire language is gendered.
>> It is ancient and full of rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
>> condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they can feel good
>> about themselves. The bed is female (la cama), the car is male (el coche)
>> etc. I'm offended that you are trying to appropriate my culture."
>
> I love her.

She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
himself on the other edge of the PC sword.

> How is your Canadianx former girlfriend doing these days?

She's gestating another human last I heard.

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<isMEJ.3987$uP.3024@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137496&group=rec.arts.tv#137496

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:39:57 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 03:39 UTC

On 1/15/2022 8:09 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> "Soon after the efforts to discredit COVID-19 vaccinations began, in late
>>> 2020, Latinx people were among the groups more hesitant to get the shots.
>>> Many researchers believe that misinformation campaigns are to blame."
>>
>>> https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-latinx-community-and-covid-disinformation-campaigns
>>
>>> Or it could be that there just aren't that many "Latinks" people around.
>>> The WhiteX 'progressives' are apparently still clueless about Latinos.
>>
>>> The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently responded thusly to a
>>> media person referring to her as a 'Latinks' LAPD detective:
>>
>>> "Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is showing. I am
>>> Latina or Latino, you can use either one. Our entire language is gendered.
>>> It is ancient and full of rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
>>> condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they can feel good
>>> about themselves. The bed is female (la cama), the car is male (el coche)
>>> etc. I'm offended that you are trying to appropriate my culture."
>>
>> I love her.
>
> She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
> himself on the other edge of the PC sword.

While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<srCdnfg52-CwCH78nZ2dnUU7-dHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137501&group=rec.arts.tv#137501

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 21:46:53 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 03:46 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> On 1/15/2022 8:09 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> I love her.
>>
>> She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
>> himself on the other edge of the PC sword.
>
> While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
> informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".

It doesn't matter if you're trying to do the right thing if you're actually
doing the wrong thing.

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss06lv$5uq$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137511&group=rec.arts.tv#137511

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 04:24:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 04:24 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>On 1/15/2022 8:09 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>>I love her.
>>She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
>>himself on the other edge of the PC sword.

>While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
>informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".

Apparently trying to do "the right thing"? How much more weaseling could
you do in the one sentence?

Latinx is a term that a mere handful of transgender/non-binary Latin yout'
and those sympathetic to use of the word use to describe themselves. She's
a woman. She isn't pretending otherwise. The reporter DELIBERATELY
misgendered her, a capital crime in New York City and Canadax.

Furthermore, she's a native Spanish speaker. He isn't. You don't correct
a native speaker of a language on word usage, especially with the use of
a recently made-up word foreign to that language.

He was ACTUALLY doing the wrong thing.

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<_hNEJ.299535$aF1.99496@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137514&group=rec.arts.tv#137514

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 23:37:14 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 04:37 UTC

On 1/15/2022 10:46 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
>>> himself on the other edge of the PC sword.
>>
>> While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
>> informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".
>
> It doesn't matter if you're trying to do the right thing if you're actually
> doing the wrong thing.

I'd think it'd matter to someone meting out punishment.

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss07hv$jh2$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137515&group=rec.arts.tv#137515

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 04:39:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 04:39 UTC

In <ss06lv$5uq$4@dont-email.me> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

[snippage throughout]

>>>She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
>>>himself on the other edge of the PC sword.

>Latinx is a term that a mere handful of transgender/non-binary Latin yout'
>and those sympathetic to use of the word use to describe themselves. She's
>a woman. She isn't pretending otherwise. The reporter DELIBERATELY
>misgendered her, a capital crime in New York City and Canadax.

>Furthermore, she's a native Spanish speaker. He isn't. You don't correct
>a native speaker of a language on word usage, especially with the use of
>a recently made-up word foreign to that language.

>He was ACTUALLY doing the wrong thing.

The first time I ran into the term "latinx" was in
that multi season CBS electioneering program for
Ms. Clinton, namely "Madam Secretary" [a]. One of the
tertiary, easily overlooked, characters was self
ID'ing using that term.

[a] some of the episodes were actually decent, and
the acting was generally pretty good. But really, it
was so transparent in its adulation that it should
have been cited by the Federal Election Commission.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss12g3$qq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137562&group=rec.arts.tv#137562

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 07:19:13 -0500
 by: Rhino - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:19 UTC

On 2022-01-15 11:24 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
>>> himself on the other edge of the PC sword.
>
>> While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
>> informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".
>
> Apparently trying to do "the right thing"? How much more weaseling could
> you do in the one sentence?
>
> Latinx is a term that a mere handful of transgender/non-binary Latin yout'
> and those sympathetic to use of the word use to describe themselves. She's
> a woman. She isn't pretending otherwise. The reporter DELIBERATELY
> misgendered her, a capital crime in New York City and Canadax.
>
> Furthermore, she's a native Spanish speaker. He isn't. You don't correct
> a native speaker of a language on word usage, especially with the use of
> a recently made-up word foreign to that language.
>
> He was ACTUALLY doing the wrong thing.

I can mentally picture moviepig protesting "But his *heart* was in the
right place and that's more important than any piddly fact about the
Spanish language!"

moviepig's whole raison d'etre (reason for being) is to rationalize
ANYTHING "progressives" do, no matter what.

--
Rhino

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<16cac010e10fb2bd$1$3239489$50d51a61@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137567&group=rec.arts.tv#137567

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 06:29:52 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:29 UTC

On 1/15/2022 10:37 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 1/15/2022 10:46 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
>>> informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".
>>
>> It doesn't matter if you're trying to do the right thing if you're
>> actually
>> doing the wrong thing.
>
> I'd think it'd matter to someone meting out punishment.

Yes but you're cheating by thinking. Right wing assholes mostly don't
do this. When they "think" it's very poorly as in their planning of the
insurrection.

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss1fse$e7a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137593&group=rec.arts.tv#137593

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:07:50 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:07 UTC

BTR1701 wrote:

> "Soon after the efforts to discredit COVID-19 vaccinations
> began, in late 2020, Latinx people were among the groups
> more hesitant to get the shots. Many researchers believe
> that misinformation campaigns are to blame."
>
> https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-latinx-community-and-
covid-disinformation-campaigns

> Or it could be that there just aren't that many "Latinks"
> people around. The WhiteX 'progressives' are apparently
> still clueless about Latinos.
>
> The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently
> responded thusly to a media person referring to her as a
> 'Latinks' LAPD detective:
>
> "Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is
> showing. I am Latina or Latino, you can use either one.
> Our entire language is gendered. It is ancient and full of
> rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
> condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they
> can feel good about themselves. The bed is female (la
> cama), the car is male (el coche) etc. I'm offended that
> you are trying to appropriate my culture."

HA! Good on her!

I think she and I would get along really well if we ever
met IRL. A couple of feisty women telling it like it is.

Treasure her!

Nyssa, who has "told it like it is" to some fairly important
people over the years and it was a very satisfying thing to do

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss1opo$k6k$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137615&group=rec.arts.tv#137615

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:39:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:39 UTC

>>. . .

>I can mentally picture moviepig protesting "But his *heart* was in the
>right place and that's more important than any piddly fact about the
>Spanish language!"

>moviepig's whole raison d'etre (reason for being) is to rationalize
>ANYTHING "progressives" do, no matter what.

I cannot detect support of any political philosophy. He opposed free
speech and free press. He twists words to be disagreeable. He uses more
words arguing for nothing than the next 20 people.

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss1qju$87g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137626&group=rec.arts.tv#137626

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:10:53 -0500
 by: Rhino - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:10 UTC

On 2022-01-16 11:07 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> BTR1701 wrote:
>
>> "Soon after the efforts to discredit COVID-19 vaccinations
>> began, in late 2020, Latinx people were among the groups
>> more hesitant to get the shots. Many researchers believe
>> that misinformation campaigns are to blame."
>>
>> https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-latinx-community-and-
> covid-disinformation-campaigns
>>
>> Or it could be that there just aren't that many "Latinks"
>> people around. The WhiteX 'progressives' are apparently
>> still clueless about Latinos.
>>
>> The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently
>> responded thusly to a media person referring to her as a
>> 'Latinks' LAPD detective:
>>
>> "Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is
>> showing. I am Latina or Latino, you can use either one.
>> Our entire language is gendered. It is ancient and full of
>> rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
>> condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they
>> can feel good about themselves. The bed is female (la
>> cama), the car is male (el coche) etc. I'm offended that
>> you are trying to appropriate my culture."
>
> HA! Good on her!Did it ever
>
> I think she and I would get along really well if we ever
> met IRL. A couple of feisty women telling it like it is.
>
> Treasure her!
>
> Nyssa, who has "told it like it is" to some fairly important
> people over the years and it was a very satisfying thing to do

Did it ever seem to make any difference in their pronouncements, either
immediately or later?

--
Rhino

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss1vcg$brs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137646&group=rec.arts.tv#137646

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 15:32:15 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:32 UTC

Rhino wrote:

> On 2022-01-16 11:07 AM, Nyssa wrote:
>> BTR1701 wrote:
>>
>>> "Soon after the efforts to discredit COVID-19
>>> vaccinations began, in late 2020, Latinx people were
>>> among the groups more hesitant to get the shots. Many
>>> researchers believe that misinformation campaigns are to
>>> blame."
>>>
>>> https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-latinx-community-and-
>> covid-disinformation-campaigns
>>>
>>> Or it could be that there just aren't that many
>>> "Latinks" people around. The WhiteX 'progressives' are
>>> apparently still clueless about Latinos.
>>>
>>> The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently
>>> responded thusly to a media person referring to her as a
>>> 'Latinks' LAPD detective:
>>>
>>> "Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is
>>> showing. I am Latina or Latino, you can use either one.
>>> Our entire language is gendered. It is ancient and full
>>> of rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
>>> condescending white people trying to fix it for us so
>>> they can feel good about themselves. The bed is female
>>> (la cama), the car is male (el coche) etc. I'm offended
>>> that you are trying to appropriate my culture."
>>
>> HA! Good on her!Did it ever
>>
>> I think she and I would get along really well if we ever
>> met IRL. A couple of feisty women telling it like it is.
>>
>> Treasure her!
>>
>> Nyssa, who has "told it like it is" to some fairly
>> important people over the years and it was a very
>> satisfying thing to do
>>
> Did it ever seem to make any difference in their
> pronouncements, either immediately or later?

Split decision on that one.

I do remember shutting up a colonel that got in my
face when I was in Korea as a software consultant during
a joint US-ROK exercise.

He told me strongly what he thought the software *should*
do and what he wanted it to do and acted like he expected me
to hop to it immediately to implement his demands and start
slinging code on the closest compatible computer.

I proceeded to politely, but firmly, explain to him that
his ideas might be good ones, but in order to have them
implemented he had to submit a software change request to
the proper Army department just like anyone else and hope
once his request was reviewed, accepted, budgeted, and then
handed down for action and implementation it would make it
back to my team for the work.

I also pointed out that my company's contract was with
that Army department, not with his command, and they
ran the show both in determining the software's functionality
and in prioritizing changes to it.

I refrained from pointing out that by the time all of
the above was done and the software ready for acceptance
testing he would likely be rotated out of his current
command.

Yeah, so sometimes it both feels good and works to put
someone in their place in the true pecking order.

Nyssa, who doesn't miss those days of dealing with asshats
who think that their title or rank makes them my boss

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss20ca$j6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137654&group=rec.arts.tv#137654

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 15:49:12 -0500
 by: Rhino - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:49 UTC

On 2022-01-16 3:32 PM, Nyssa wrote:
> Rhino wrote:

>>> covid-disinformation-campaigns

>>> HA! Good on her!Did it ever
>>>
>>> I think she and I would get along really well if we ever
>>> met IRL. A couple of feisty women telling it like it is.
>>>
>>> Treasure her!
>>>
>>> Nyssa, who has "told it like it is" to some fairly
>>> important people over the years and it was a very
>>> satisfying thing to do
>>>
>> Did it ever seem to make any difference in their
>> pronouncements, either immediately or later?
>>

> Split decision on that one.
>
> I do remember shutting up a colonel that got in my
> face when I was in Korea as a software consultant during
> a joint US-ROK exercise.
>
> He told me strongly what he thought the software *should*
> do and what he wanted it to do and acted like he expected me
> to hop to it immediately to implement his demands and start
> slinging code on the closest compatible computer.
>
> I proceeded to politely, but firmly, explain to him that
> his ideas might be good ones, but in order to have them
> implemented he had to submit a software change request to
> the proper Army department just like anyone else and hope
> once his request was reviewed, accepted, budgeted, and then
> handed down for action and implementation it would make it
> back to my team for the work.
>
> I also pointed out that my company's contract was with
> that Army department, not with his command, and they
> ran the show both in determining the software's functionality
> and in prioritizing changes to it.
>
> I refrained from pointing out that by the time all of
> the above was done and the software ready for acceptance
> testing he would likely be rotated out of his current
> command.

So did he ultimately accept what you told him and maybe even apologize?
Or did he just keep making demands?

I'm a little surprised he had to be told ANY of what you said. I would
have thought any officer who'd had to work with equipment that used
software to control it would have already known all of that. It's been
the standard way of doing IT for decades.

> Yeah, so sometimes it both feels good and works to put
> someone in their place in the true pecking order.
>
> Nyssa, who doesn't miss those days of dealing with asshats
> who think that their title or rank makes them my boss

I assume you were working for an independent defense contractor as a
civilian and were not a service member yourself otherwise he might well
have had some reasonable expectation that he could boss you around,
although certainly not by demanding specific updates of you directly
without them going through the usual process of adding them to the
requirements, be evaluated, budgeted, etc.

--
Rhino

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<nu69ugh96gjpgn8l8k5m6ni8ibeu653hcv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137673&group=rec.arts.tv#137673

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:30:18 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:30 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 07:19:13 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>> Furthermore, she's a native Spanish speaker. He isn't. You don't correct
>> a native speaker of a language on word usage, especially with the use of
>> a recently made-up word foreign to that language.
>>
>> He was ACTUALLY doing the wrong thing.
>
>I can mentally picture moviepig protesting "But his *heart* was in the
>right place and that's more important than any piddly fact about the
>Spanish language!"
>
>moviepig's whole raison d'etre (reason for being) is to rationalize
>ANYTHING "progressives" do, no matter what.

I told a gay friend about 2 years ago that most people in society
today are fairly openminded but got REALLY uncomfortable when GLBLQ
etc gets mentioned since while their heart is in the right place they
know darned well how some people go over the top when "last week's
initials get used"

I also told him most people would just say 'gay' and if that offended
the listener then they could "blow it up their ..."

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss2j54$lkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137742&group=rec.arts.tv#137742

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 02:09:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 02:09 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 07:19:13 -0500, Rhino
><no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>>> Furthermore, she's a native Spanish speaker. He isn't. You don't correct
>>> a native speaker of a language on word usage, especially with the use of
>>> a recently made-up word foreign to that language.
>>>
>>> He was ACTUALLY doing the wrong thing.
>>
>>I can mentally picture moviepig protesting "But his *heart* was in the
>>right place and that's more important than any piddly fact about the
>>Spanish language!"
>>
>>moviepig's whole raison d'etre (reason for being) is to rationalize
>>ANYTHING "progressives" do, no matter what.
>
>I told a gay friend about 2 years ago that most people in society
>today are fairly openminded but got REALLY uncomfortable when GLBLQ
>etc gets mentioned since while their heart is in the right place they
>know darned well how some people go over the top when "last week's
>initials get used"
>
>I also told him most people would just say 'gay' and if that offended
>the listener then they could "blow it up their ..."

What if they'd like that?

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss3u60$9n2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137825&group=rec.arts.tv#137825

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:23:55 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:23 UTC

Rhino wrote:

> On 2022-01-16 3:32 PM, Nyssa wrote:
>> Rhino wrote:

>>> Did it ever seem to make any difference in their
>>> pronouncements, either immediately or later?
>>>

>> Split decision on that one.
>>
>> I do remember shutting up a colonel that got in my
>> face when I was in Korea as a software consultant during
>> a joint US-ROK exercise.
>>
>> He told me strongly what he thought the software *should*
>> do and what he wanted it to do and acted like he expected
>> me to hop to it immediately to implement his demands and
>> start slinging code on the closest compatible computer.
>>
>> I proceeded to politely, but firmly, explain to him that
>> his ideas might be good ones, but in order to have them
>> implemented he had to submit a software change request to
>> the proper Army department just like anyone else and hope
>> once his request was reviewed, accepted, budgeted, and
>> then handed down for action and implementation it would
>> make it back to my team for the work.
>>
>> I also pointed out that my company's contract was with
>> that Army department, not with his command, and they
>> ran the show both in determining the software's
>> functionality and in prioritizing changes to it.
>>
>> I refrained from pointing out that by the time all of
>> the above was done and the software ready for acceptance
>> testing he would likely be rotated out of his current
>> command.
>>
> So did he ultimately accept what you told him and maybe
> even apologize? Or did he just keep making demands?

No apology, but he did back off.

IMHO he was putting on a show for his aides/junior
officers and NCOs that were standing around. It didn't
go the way he had hoped.

> I'm a little surprised he had to be told ANY of what you
> said. I would have thought any officer who'd had to work
> with equipment that used software to control it would have
> already known all of that. It's been the standard way of
> doing IT for decades.

Considering that there was a representative of both
the functional and technical (who were more of the
dis-functional and non-technical types when it came down
to actually doing any work....civil servants) sides of
the agency he needed to work with on the trip, he
could have asked one of them for info on how to submit
his "suggestions."

I was there at the moment and they weren't. And there was
the "put on a show for the troops" factor that I think
was uppermost in his mind anyway.

>> Yeah, so sometimes it both feels good and works to put
>> someone in their place in the true pecking order.
>>
>> Nyssa, who doesn't miss those days of dealing with
>> asshats who think that their title or rank makes them my
>> boss
>>
> I assume you were working for an independent defense
> contractor as a civilian and were not a service member
> yourself otherwise he might well have had some reasonable
> expectation that he could boss you around, although
> certainly not by demanding specific updates of you
> directly without them going through the usual process of
> adding them to the requirements, be evaluated, budgeted,
> etc.

Yep, a civilian contractor. I miss the occasional travel
to interesting places, but not the people I had to deal
with.

Nyssa, who is glad that she's not out traveling these days
at all

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss4a93$fou$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=137861&group=rec.arts.tv#137861

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:50:26 -0500
 by: Rhino - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:50 UTC

On 2022-01-17 9:23 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> Rhino wrote:

> and-

>>> Split decision on that one.
>>>
>>> I do remember shutting up a colonel that got in my
>>> face when I was in Korea as a software consultant during
>>> a joint US-ROK exercise.
>>>
>>> He told me strongly what he thought the software *should*
>>> do and what he wanted it to do and acted like he expected
>>> me to hop to it immediately to implement his demands and
>>> start slinging code on the closest compatible computer.
>>>
>>> I proceeded to politely, but firmly, explain to him that
>>> his ideas might be good ones, but in order to have them
>>> implemented he had to submit a software change request to
>>> the proper Army department just like anyone else and hope
>>> once his request was reviewed, accepted, budgeted, and
>>> then handed down for action and implementation it would
>>> make it back to my team for the work.
>>>
>>> I also pointed out that my company's contract was with
>>> that Army department, not with his command, and they
>>> ran the show both in determining the software's
>>> functionality and in prioritizing changes to it.
>>>
>>> I refrained from pointing out that by the time all of
>>> the above was done and the software ready for acceptance
>>> testing he would likely be rotated out of his current
>>> command.
>>>
>> So did he ultimately accept what you told him and maybe
>> even apologize? Or did he just keep making demands?
>
> No apology, but he did back off.
>
> IMHO he was putting on a show for his aides/junior
> officers and NCOs that were standing around. It didn't
> go the way he had hoped.

That seems like a reasonable theory; some people in positions of
power/authority really seem to feel the need to show that power. I
suspect it comes from insecurity.

>> I'm a little surprised he had to be told ANY of what you
>> said. I would have thought any officer who'd had to work
>> with equipment that used software to control it would have
>> already known all of that. It's been the standard way of
>> doing IT for decades.
>
> Considering that there was a representative of both
> the functional and technical (who were more of the
> dis-functional and non-technical types when it came down
> to actually doing any work....civil servants) sides of
> the agency he needed to work with on the trip, he
> could have asked one of them for info on how to submit
> his "suggestions."
>
> I was there at the moment and they weren't. And there was
> the "put on a show for the troops" factor that I think
> was uppermost in his mind anyway.

It sounds like you were a "target of opportunity" for him to vent his
frustrations with whatever system you were building....

Mind you, I can imagine his point of view, too. I'm picturing some
senior officer with a technical bent coming up with some idea for a
nifty system but lesser officers - like the guy that was haranguing you
- maybe perceiving that their legitimate and reasonable objections
and/or proposed improvements were getting ignored. That could make him
try to pressure you into making changes on the fly.

>>> Yeah, so sometimes it both feels good and works to put
>>> someone in their place in the true pecking order.
>>>
>>> Nyssa, who doesn't miss those days of dealing with
>>> asshats who think that their title or rank makes them my
>>> boss
>>>
>> I assume you were working for an independent defense
>> contractor as a civilian and were not a service member
>> yourself otherwise he might well have had some reasonable
>> expectation that he could boss you around, although
>> certainly not by demanding specific updates of you
>> directly without them going through the usual process of
>> adding them to the requirements, be evaluated, budgeted,
>> etc.
>>

> Yep, a civilian contractor. I miss the occasional travel
> to interesting places, but not the people I had to deal
> with.

I can imagine :-)

> Nyssa, who is glad that she's not out traveling these days
> at all

Particularly today! We had quite a dump of snow overnight - it's still
trailing off now - and it's resulted in a snow day for the school kids
(and school bus drivers).

--
Rhino

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss9m6j$4mr$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138515&group=rec.arts.tv#138515

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:44:35 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:44 UTC

no_email@invalid.invalid wrote:

>The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently responded thusly to a
>media person referring to her as a 'Latinks' LAPD detective:
>
>"Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is showing. I am
>Latina or Latino, you can use either one. Our entire language is gendered.
>It is ancient and full of rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
>condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they can feel good
>about themselves. The bed is female (la cama), the car is male (el coche)
>etc. I'm offended that you are trying to appropriate my culture."

++

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss9md2$4mr$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138516&group=rec.arts.tv#138516

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:48:02 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:48 UTC

In article <ss06lv$5uq$4@dont-email.me>, ahk@chinet.com wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>>On 1/15/2022 8:09 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>>The girlfriend, who is of Colombian descent, recently responded thusly to a
>>>media person referring to her as a 'Latinks' LAPD detective:
>>>
>>>"Please do not call me "Latinx". Your white privilege is showing. I am
>>>Latina or Latino, you can use either one. Our entire language is gendered.
>>>It is ancient and full of rich and beautiful history and it doesn't need
>>>condescending white people trying to fix it for us so they can feel good
>>>about themselves. The bed is female (la cama), the car is male (el coche)
>>>etc. I'm offended that you are trying to appropriate my culture."
>>>
>>>I love her.
>>>
>>>She was highly amused watching the stammer and stutter, for once finding
>>>himself on the other edge of the PC sword.
>>
>>While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
>>informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".
>
>Apparently trying to do "the right thing"? How much more weaseling could
>you do in the one sentence?
>
>Latinx is a term that a mere handful of transgender/non-binary Latin yout'
>and those sympathetic to use of the word use to describe themselves. She's
>a woman. She isn't pretending otherwise. The reporter DELIBERATELY
>misgendered her, a capital crime in New York City and Canadax.
>
>Furthermore, she's a native Spanish speaker. He isn't. You don't correct
>a native speaker of a language on word usage, especially with the use of
>a recently made-up word foreign to that language.
>
>He was ACTUALLY doing the wrong thing.

++

[Kerman's worse than usual incorrect formatting fixed.]

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: New Yorker: The Mystery of Low Hispanic Vax Rates

<ss9mi6$4mr$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=138518&group=rec.arts.tv#138518

Followup: alt.troll.adam-h-kerman
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:50:45 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:50 UTC

no_offline_contact@example.com wrote:
>On 2022-01-15 11:24 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> While she's right (by definition), she's punishing someone who's less
>>> informed than she, but who's apparently trying to do "the right thing".
>>
>> Apparently trying to do "the right thing"? How much more weaseling could
>> you do in the one sentence?
>>
>> Latinx is a term that a mere handful of transgender/non-binary Latin yout'
>> and those sympathetic to use of the word use to describe themselves. She's
>> a woman. She isn't pretending otherwise. The reporter DELIBERATELY
>> misgendered her, a capital crime in New York City and Canadax.
>>
>> Furthermore, she's a native Spanish speaker. He isn't. You don't correct
>> a native speaker of a language on word usage, especially with the use of
>> a recently made-up word foreign to that language.
>>
>> He was ACTUALLY doing the wrong thing.
>
>I can mentally picture moviepig protesting "But his *heart* was in the
>right place and that's more important than any piddly fact about the
>Spanish language!"
>
>moviepig's whole raison d'etre (reason for being) is to rationalize
>ANYTHING "progressives" do, no matter what.

Think of it as moviepig's way of conceding the debate.

[Kerman's incorrect formatting fixed.]

--
Let's go Brandon!