From: sei...@eilertech.com (Scott Eiler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: META: Pay It Forward
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:39:49 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Scott Eiler - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:39 UTC

An online writers' workshop is available this weekend. This is
organized by C Stuart Hardwick <contact@cStuartHardwick.com>, who's been
published in Analog Science Fiction/Science Fact.

FREE WORKSHOP FOR WRITERS!

It was Robert Heinlein who gave us (or at least widely popularized) the
concept of "paying it forward." When I was in Hollywood at the writer's
workshop after winning the Writers of the Future Contest, the great Mike
Resnick explained it like this:

It’s a given in this and every other field that when you’ve had a
successful career you pay back, but in this field, it’s almost
impossible because by the time you’ve been a remarkable success,
everybody who helped you is either rich or dead or both. So you pay forward.

Not only did he say it, Mike lived that philosophy, and much of what I
learned at the workshop came from sitting up till the wee hours at the
bar with Mike, both of us sipping soda to keep our voice boxes running,
as he put it in to practice.

Mike is sadly no longer with us, but the idea marches on, and now the
baton has passed to me. I have been asked to open the first-ever Mike
Resnick memorial "Pay-it-Forward day," a writer's professional workshop
to be held online for free, this weekend, Saturday, March 5th, starting
at 11:45 a.m. Eastern Time.

Tell all your writer friends to sign up quick. What Pay It Forward Day
for writers. Where: Online via Zoom. When: Saturday, March 5, 2022.
Cost: Free.

Schedule:

11:45 a.m. to 12:00 noon Eastern time: Martin L. Shoemaker. Topic:
Welcome remarks.
12:00 noon to 12:50 p.m. Eastern time: C. Stuart Hardwick. Topic:
Career Lessons for New Writers.
1:00 p.m. to 1:50 p.m. Eastern time: Mike Jack Stoumbos. Topic: The
Quick and Dirty Novel Plan.
2:00 p.m. to 2:50 p.m. Eastern time: Melissa F. Kaelin. Topic:
Revise to Impress Your Readers: Getting Constructive Feedback & Finding
Writers Groups.
3:00 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. Eastern time: Kevin McLaughlin. Topic: The
Coffee Break Novelist.
4:00 p.m. to 4:50 p.m. Eastern Time: Andrea Stewart and Marina
Lostetter discuss world building. Moderated by Tina Gower.
5:00 p.m. to 5:50 p.m. Eastern Time: Crystal Renee Bechler on
Kindle Vella.
5:50 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time: Martin L. Shoemaker. Topic:
Closing remarks.

Follow the instructions at the link to sign up, and forward this to
anyone you know who writes or is thinking of writing in any genre or
form. It promised to be of tremendous value, and it's free!

https://shoemaker.space/pay-it-forward-day/

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler 8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal. From "The golden age of
Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.

Re: META: Pay It Forward

<t0b11d$mf5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1393&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1393

From: sei...@eilertech.com (Scott Eiler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: Re: META: Pay It Forward
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:00:49 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Scott Eiler - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:00 UTC

I wound up not signing up. There wasn't a sign-up form, only "Give the
writer your email address". Which is okay for that one writer who
already has my email address, but that's about my limit.