Newsgroups: rec.music.experimental
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 15:52:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jon Hassell tributes/interviews, Angus MacLise (Velvet Underground) article
From: jgr...@pipeline.com (Jason Gross)
 by: Jason Gross - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 22:52 UTC

Greetings,

In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <http://www.furious.com/perfect/index0821.html>, you'll find (among other things):

JON HASSELL
Remembering the trumpeter/theorist/ethnomusicologist/visionary
As a way to honor one of the most extraordinary musicians, we assembled interviews of a group of musicians/collaborators that Hassell worked with from the start to the end of his career, an essay about his Fourth World concept, an early essay from Hassell himself about Fourth World and some related links to interviews we did with him.

ANGUS MACLISE
The Velvet's forgotten avatar by Mike Jinji Sunya Wood
"Angus MacLise, in his art, music, and spiritual life, sought the universal, the essence, the primal. Often his music was no more elaborate than the Woodpecker’s sound, using drone, percussion, chant, spontaneous guitars, or guests in his lessons. His lessons were probably meant more for himself and his friends than for a wider audience. While some of his music could be heard on bootlegs and soundtracks during his short life, most of his music was recorded on tapes, made inside and outside of wherever he was living. He joined in loose informal jams with a very early Velvet Underground."

We also have a Spotify playlist with most of the artists above here:
<https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5TnVJS3L3iI2OSPoFnGcHf?si=e9cc19f291a94b68>

We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

See you online,
Jason

arts / rec.music.experimental / Jon Hassell tributes/interviews, Angus MacLise (Velvet Underground) article