A farm in the country side had several turkeys, it was known as the house of seven gobbles.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)suzeeq
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
 |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)A Friend
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
   +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<UBI20220122@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139343&group=rec.arts.tv#139343

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 04:30:41 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 09:30 UTC

I watched:

BATMAN:
This week's "Decades Binge".

DOCTOR WHO:
"Mawdryn Undead". The stories seems to be declining in quality. This is
where we are introduced to Turlough.

DOCTOR WHO:
"Caves of Androziri". I'm not quite sure what happened, but someone was
trying way too hard to be artsy in this one and the bad guy wearing a
black and white latex mask predictibly did a "Phantom of the Opera"
thing. At one point, another bad guy spoke to us for no reason. Oh
yeah, Peter Davidison's doctor regenerated at the end and was replaced
by the Asshole Doctor. This regeneration was bad. It had the disemboded
heads of his former companions floating around his head shouting words
of encouragement like midwifes and The Master's doing the opposite. Um,
what?

DOCTOR WHO:
Wow, forgot what an asshole the Collin Baker Doctor is. I bailed when
he throttled Peri.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<ssk28v$aia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139362&group=rec.arts.tv#139362

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 09:11:59 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:11 UTC

On 2022-01-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Yellowjackets (Showtime app) - "Blood Hive", "Saints", and "No Compass"
(ep's #1.5-1.7).
Three episodes on Saturday, so I expect to finish out the show
today. (Then on to either "Wheel of Time" or "Foundation"!...)
Anyway, Arthur turned out to be correct - they really start ramping
up the "supernatural" angle in these episodes, which I really don't
care for.
I also increasingly have a sinking feeling about Arthur's other
point - these episodes felt like they were piling on new questions,
without answering any of the other questions they've already posed!
About the only progress made here is that these episodes move closer to
confirming that Callie (Shauna's daughter) was born out in the wilds
(which may explain why she's kind of EVOL!!1! now, and why Shauna
doesn't like her), and the identity of the "blackmailer" sort of
becomes obvious in these epies.
They also, again, spend too much time on Taissa and her damn
political campaign!!
I do enjoy that they are doing more with Jane Widdop's Laura Lee
(the Christian girl) character - early on she was clearly supposed to
be a joke, but they've taken the character deeper in these epies.
In a development I did like, crazy Misty (Christina Ricci) takes the
"reporter"/investigator (Rekha Sharma) captive, to interrogate her.
Also, Adam (the cop who was teen Natalie's "best friend" before the
crash) has finally had enough of her bullshit, and then Natalie drives
him away (for his own protection? or hers?!).
And Natalie, Taissa and Shauan try to "trap" the blackmailer, but fail.
In 1996, Taissa takes a group, that involves Van (her lover) and
Misty, to try to find help, but it ends in a disastrous wolf attack (on
Van)... And Shauna has to admit the pregnancy to Jackie, but screws up
the details making Jackie suspicious enough to steal Shauna's diary and
discover the truth.
Just three more episodes (of season #1) to go.

football: Two close playoff games. In the first, Tennessee threw away a
game they should have won, and allowed Cincinnati to win at the last
minute and advance.
In the more important game, the 49ers special teams play allowed
them to come from behind, and they executed a near perfect final drive
to kick the final second-winning field goal - the '9ers advance!!

The Blacklist (recorded) - "Dr. Razmik Maier" (ep. #9.8). Well, this
mostly was not good. Red gets dumped!! by his squeeze, when he won't
drop investigating Liz's death; later, he explicitly blames poor Dembe
for being complicit in Liz's death. Ressler is still acting like a
dirty junky, disgusting Park, but eventually tries to "power through"
getting clean himself.
The "Blacklister-du-jour", which was a doctor who "dopes" athletes
for better performance, would have been OK, if the real "Big Bad"
hadn't been so obvious in trying to be super-extra "helpful".
Oh, and Cooper figures out that he was drugged on the day of the
murder, and even who drugged him, but finds the man dead, and is still
being taunted by his blackmailer.

Nobody (HBO Max) - I did like this 2021 flick. But it does take too
long to get going. I also didn't really care for the bait-and-switch -
who "Nobody" ends up battling has nothing to do with the original home
invasion robbery. (Fun fact: One of the home invasion robbers is played
by hottie Canadian actress Humberly Gonzales!)
I also didn't like that they kept hinting that the wife (Connie
Nielsen) also had some kind of background like "Nobody's", but we see
no evidence of it, and she's basically nothing more than a "damsel in
distress" for a good chunk of the movie.
But beyond that, this is a "massive body count" movie like "John
Wick", except much more "low-key" (and more quasi-"realistic"(?)) than
a movie like "John Wick".
Wow - Michael Ironside is so old now, that he is basically
unrecognizable!! But fun to see Christopher Lloyd and Colin Salmon in
this.
They clearly seem to set up a sequel or a "franchise" for this
movie, so I'm surprised that while someone is writing a script for a
sequel, it hasn't been greenlit yet.

Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.
Aaron Eckhart plays a beat cop (with a later revealed "disgraced
past", 'natch) who has to track down a man (hey! it's Bejamin
McKenzie!) who has kidnapped the daughter of the police captain
(Giancarlo Esposito) out of Revenge! REVENGE!!
Forceably tagging along is an annoying young "live-streaming" local
internet newshawk played by Courtney Eaton. Her partner/tech nerd is
played by Jessica Lu of "Awkward." and "God Friended Me"... Meanwhile,
Dina Meyer plays a "Network"-esque news producer who laps up the
coverage of the ensuing crisis!!
After the first 10 or so minutes, this becomes a straight "real-time
race against time" thriller, with Eaton's character live-streaming most
of the events as she tahs along.
This is over-the-top in spots, but is still pretty enjoyable.
Fun fact: This movie was filmed in *Birmingham, Alabama*!! I can't
think of another movie that's been filmed in Birmingham!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<sskc35$g15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139402&group=rec.arts.tv#139402

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:59:30 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:59 UTC

On 1/23/2022 9:11 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-01-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yellowjackets (Showtime app) - "Blood Hive", "Saints", and "No Compass"
> (ep's #1.5-1.7).
>   Three episodes on Saturday, so I expect to finish out the show today.
> (Then on to either "Wheel of Time" or "Foundation"!...)
>   Anyway, Arthur turned out to be correct - they really start ramping
> up the "supernatural" angle in these episodes, which I really don't care
> for.
>   I also increasingly have a sinking feeling about Arthur's other point
> - these episodes felt like they were piling on new questions, without
> answering any of the other questions they've already posed! About the
> only progress made here is that these episodes move closer to confirming
> that Callie (Shauna's daughter) was born out in the wilds

That thought never crossed my mind. Then again, while watching I rarely
made the connection as to which character in the present was the same
character in the past.

(which may
> explain why she's kind of EVOL!!1! now, and why Shauna doesn't like
> her), and the identity of the "blackmailer" sort of becomes obvious in
> these epies.

I'm curious. Who do you think is the blackmailer? Don't worry, I won't
spoil if you're right or not.

> football: Two close playoff games. In the first, Tennessee threw away a
> game they should have won, and allowed Cincinnati to win at the last
> minute and advance.
>   In the more important game, the 49ers special teams play allowed them
> to come from behind, and they executed a near perfect final drive to
> kick the final second-winning field goal - the '9ers advance!!

I just found out yesterday that if the 49ers win their next game they
get to go to the Superbowl.

> The Blacklist (recorded) - "Dr. Razmik Maier" (ep. #9.8). Well, this
> mostly was not good.
Saved for later. I guess now I have something to not look forward to.

> Nobody (HBO Max) - I did like this 2021 flick. But it does take too long
> to get going. I also didn't really care for the bait-and-switch - who
> "Nobody" ends up battling has nothing to do with the original home
> invasion robbery. (Fun fact: One of the home invasion robbers is played
> by hottie Canadian actress Humberly Gonzales!)
>   I also didn't like that they kept hinting that the wife (Connie
> Nielsen) also had some kind of background like "Nobody's", but we see no
> evidence of it, and she's basically nothing more than a "damsel in
> distress" for a good chunk of the movie.
>   But beyond that, this is a "massive body count" movie like "John
> Wick", except much more "low-key" (and more quasi-"realistic"(?)) than a
> movie like "John Wick".

At the time I thought it was in the John Wick universe, and even the
house at the end was John Wick's house, then I found out that even
though the movies have the same writer, they were made by different studios.

>   Wow - Michael Ironside is so old now, that he is basically
> unrecognizable!! But fun to see Christopher Lloyd and Colin Salmon in this.
>   They clearly seem to set up a sequel or a "franchise" for this movie,
> so I'm surprised that while someone is writing a script for a sequel, it
> hasn't been greenlit yet.
>
> Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
> seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.

Added to the queue.

I watched:

Cleopatra (TCM) The 4+ hour cut of the 1963 epic starring Elizabeth
Taylor, Richard Burtson, and hey, it's Roddy McDowall. I've never
watched this movie before now. It was actually pretty good. I think it
would probably pair very well with watching "Alexander" first (since
he's referenced multiple times throughout the movie) and maybe end with
"Gladiator."

Klute (TCM) 1971 crime thriller staring Donald Sutherland on a missing
person's case who gets help from a prostitute played by Jane Fonda. I
was vaguely aware this movie existed, but this was my first time
watching it. I didn't really care for the convoluted plot.

Looking For Mr. Goodbar (TCM) 1977 "crime drama" staring Diane Keaton as
a school teacher who hooks up with random men she meets at bars. This
was my first time watching this movie. I knew the movie existed, but
for some reason, I thought it was a pornographic movie. Then I saw it
was airing on TCM, and read it was a legit Oscar nominated Hollywood
movie. And Wiki said it was a "crime drama" about a murder and I
figured it would go well with Klute. Well, Wiki lied! This movie might
as well have been a prequel to Boogie Nights. I was expecting a police
procedural and got random hookups at a bar. Sure there's a murder, but
at the end right before the credits roll. This was not a good movie IMO.

MacGruber (Peacock) - "A Good Day to Die" First episode of the TV series
based on the movie, based on the SNL sketch. Will Forte, Kristen Wiig,
and Ryan Phillippe all reprise their roles from the movie. Picking up
10 years after the events of the movie the government once again needs
MacGruber's help, this time to stop Billy Zane. And Laurence Fishburne
joins the cast too. I guess the episode was OK. If you like the movie,
you'll like the show as being more of the same. But I'm in no hurry to
get to episode 2.

SNL - Will Forte hosts and of course brings back his MacGruber character.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<2011783153.664661388.173054.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139407&group=rec.arts.tv#139407

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 13:18:27 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:18 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-01-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>

> Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
> seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.
>
> Fun fact: This movie was filmed in *Birmingham, Alabama*!! I can't
> think of another movie that's been filmed in Birmingham!

List of feature films shot in Birmingham
This is a List of feature films shot in Birmingham:
Contents [hide]
1 1901-1980
2 1981-2000
3 2001-2010
4 2011-2020
5 2021–2030
6 References
1901-1980

Poster for Stay Hungry (1976)
"Moonshiner's Daughter" (1908-1910s, Kalem Company), Bluff Park, Hales
Springs
Coming Through (1925, Famous Players-Lasky Corp./Paramount Pictures),
Brookside, New Castle, Oxmoor Road
Things You Ought to Know About Birmingham (1925, Imperial Pictures),
Birmingham
Men of Steel (1926, First National Pictures), Ensley
All-Birmingham Movie (1927, unknown), Old Mill
Stay Hungry (1976, United Artists), several locations
Hooper (1978), scenes at the University of Alabama's Northington Campus,
Lynns Park Bridge and Locust Fork Bridge on U. S. Highway 78 in Walker
County
Ravagers (1978, Columbia Pictures), scenes at Sloss Furnaces and Morris
Avenue
Norma Rae (1979), filmed in Opelika
Jaws of Satan (1980, United Artists), Bama Rock Gardens in Vance,
Greenetrack in Eutaw and DeSoto Caverns in Childersburg
1981-2000

Poster for Verne Miller (1976)
Benny's Place (1982, Titus Productions/ABC), scenes at American Cast Iron
Pipe Company, Southside (The Garages) and West End
Six Pack (1982, Lion Share/20th Century Fox)
Stroker Ace (1983, Warner Brothers/Universal Pictures), Talladega
The River (1984, Universal Pictures), scenes at former Clow Corp. pipe
plant, Tarrant, North Birmingham
Rebel Love, originally Shadow Waltz (1985, Ravencliff Productsions),
Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park
Verne Miller (1986, Alive/UAA Productions), scenes at the Woodward
residence, Alabama Theatre, Tutwiler Hotel, Springville, Shades Cahaba
Elementary School pedestrian underpass, Romeo's on 7th Avenue South and the
Bessemer Hall of History
Roses Are for the Rich (1987, Phoenix Productions), scenes at the Hallmark
farm
Elvis' Grave (1989, Westbrook Productions)
25x5: The Continuing Adventures of the Rolling Stones, interviews with
members of the band recorded at Straight Furrow Productions in Lakeview,
October 4 & 6, 1989 (1989, BBC)
A Perfect World (1993, Malpaso Productions/Warner Brothers)
Cobb (1994, Warner Brothers), scenes at Rickwood Field
Soul of the Game (1995, Gary Hoffman Productions/HBO)
Space Jam (1996, Warner Bros.), Michael Jordan's opening scene shot at
Hoover Metropolitan Stadium
Four Little Girls (1997, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks/HBO)
Her Maiden Name (1997, Pam White Productions)
Steel Chariots (1997, Walt Disney), Talladega
Main Street (1998, Weaver Productions)
Rustin (1999, Grabba-Bat Productions), Springville
2001-2010

Poster for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious
Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
World Traveler (2001, Wit Productions)
Alabama Love Story (2001, R & G Productions), Tuscaloosa
Johnny Flynton (2002, Red Corner Productions)
Under the Sidewalk Moon (2002, Crescent Moon Films)
Camp D.O.A. (2004, Magic City Films)
Hide and Creep (2004, Crewless Productions), Leeds and Thorsby
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006, Columbia Pictures),
Talladega
Murderball (2005, Paramount Pictures/MTV Films), scenes at Lakeshore
Rehabilitation Center
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of
Kazakhstan (2006, Four by Two Productions/20th Century Fox), Birmingham and
Helena
Failure to Launch (2006, Paramount), some scenes shot in Gadsden
Brüno (2009, Everyman Pictures), Wald Park Lodge in Vestavia Hills
Good Hair (2009, Chris Rock Entertainment), Pedestals Salon
Lifted (2010, Hunter Films), Irondale, the Alys Stephens Center, the
Alabama National Cemetery
2011-2020

Poster for 42 (2013)
October Baby (2011, Erwin Brothers), Morris Avenue, Bibb Medical Center,
and Alabama Theatre
Life Tracker (2012, Sarju Patel), tornado-damaged areas of Clay
42 (2013, Legendary Pictures), Rickwood Field, Tutwiler Hotel, 5th Avenue
North
After (2012, Seabourne Pictures), St Andrew's Episcopal Church, John's City
Diner, and locations in Bessemer, Clanton and Decatur
Grace Unplugged (2013, Coram Deo Studios, Birchwood Pictures & Primary Wave
Entertainment), Alabama Theatre, Dreamcakes, Liberty Park Baptist Church,
WorkPlay, The Club
Tinker (2015, KoCreo Productions), Clay
Moms' Night Out (2014, Affirm Films)
Woodlawn (2015, Crescent City Pictures), Legion Field, Bush Middle School,
Hueytown
Let There be Light (2017, LTBL Productions/Atlas Distribution), Cooper
Green Mercy Health Services, Lyric Theatre, Avondale Park
Trading Paint (2018, Ambi Pictures/Paradox Studios), Hueytown High School,
Golden Rule Bar-B-Q in Hoover, UAB Medical West, Town & Country Ford, Harry
& Billie's Bar in Bessemer
Bigger (2018) Morris Avenue, 1st Avenue North, Alabama Theatre, Lyric
Theatre, 3rd Avenue North, Temple Emanu-El
Inherit the Viper (2018, Barry Films)
Into the Ashes (n.d.), Bessemer, Fairfield
Moose (2018) , Birmingham, What's on 2nd
Hale County This Morning, This Evening (2018), Hale County
Run the Race (2019, Reserve Entertainment / Roadside Attractions), Bessemer
Academy, Birmingham-Southern College, Homer Smiles Field
Embattled (Blitz Films/Straight Up Films) (2019) Alabama Theatre,
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport, Elyton Hotel, Collins Bar,
Ramsay High School
Hell on the Border (2019, Sweet Unknown Studios/WrenLee Pictures) downtown
Bessemer, Old York Farms
Sword of Trust (2019, Forager Films/IFC Films)
The Death of Dick Long (2019, A24 Films) Bessemer and Birmingham
Line of Duty (November 2019,Saban Films), downtown Birmingham
Inheritance (2020, Southpaw Entertainment)
The Devil All the Time (2020, Borderline Films / Ninestory), Forest Park,
Cliff Road, Anniston
Collection (2020, Warner Davis Company), The Murals on Niazuma apartments
2021–2030

Survivor Girls (2021, Half Fool Motion Pictures), Bibb County, Gadsden
The Integrity of Joseph Chambers (2021, 433/Back40 Pictures), Pell City
Castle Falls (2021, BondIt Media Capital, Buffalo 8 Productions, VMI
Worldwide), Birmingham
Die Like Lovers (2022), Bessemer

https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_feature_films_shot_in_Birmingham

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<sskdes$2pir$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139411&group=rec.arts.tv#139411

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 12:22:51 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:22 UTC

On 1/23/2022 11:59 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> [...]
> was vaguely aware this movie existed, but this was my first time
> watching it.  I didn't really care for the convoluted plot.
>

> Looking For Mr. Goodbar (TCM) 1977 "crime drama" staring Diane Keaton as
> a school teacher who hooks up with random men she meets at bars.  This
> was my first time watching this movie.  I knew the movie existed, but
> for some reason, I thought it was a pornographic movie.  Then I saw it
> was airing on TCM, and read it was a legit Oscar nominated Hollywood
> movie.  And Wiki said it was a "crime drama" about a murder and I
> figured it would go well with Klute.  Well, Wiki lied!  This movie might
> as well have been a prequel to Boogie Nights.  I was expecting a police
> procedural and got random hookups at a bar.  Sure there's a murder, but
> at the end right before the credits roll.  This was not a good movie IMO.

It was based on a book, can't remember if it was a real life story or not.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<1494977946.664662338.414640.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139414&group=rec.arts.tv#139414

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 13:31:09 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:31 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 1/23/2022 9:11 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-01-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

>> Nobody (HBO Max) - I did like this 2021 flick.
>>   Wow - Michael Ironside is so old now, that he is basically
>> unrecognizable!!

He looks more like John Saxon every day.

>> Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
>> seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.
>
> Added to the queue.

I think you should add all movies shot in Birmingham Alabama. If you’d
like, Ian can get you a list!

> I watched:
>
> Cleopatra (TCM) The 4+ hour cut of the 1963 epic starring Elizabeth
> Taylor, Richard Burtson, and hey, it's Roddy McDowall. I've never
> watched this movie before now. It was actually pretty good. I think it
> would probably pair very well with watching "Alexander" first (since
> he's referenced multiple times throughout the movie) and maybe end with
> "Gladiator."

I don’t think I’ve ever made it all the way through.

> Klute (TCM) 1971 crime thriller staring Donald Sutherland on a missing
> person's case who gets help from a prostitute played by Jane Fonda. I
> was vaguely aware this movie existed, but this was my first time
> watching it. I didn't really care for the convoluted plot.

I saw it first run at a drive-in. It wasn’t worth it for the brief nudity.

> Looking For Mr. Goodbar (TCM) 1977 "crime drama" staring Diane Keaton as
> a school teacher who hooks up with random men she meets at bars. This
> was my first time watching this movie. I knew the movie existed, but
> for some reason, I thought it was a pornographic movie. Then I saw it
> was airing on TCM, and read it was a legit Oscar nominated Hollywood
> movie. And Wiki said it was a "crime drama" about a murder and I
> figured it would go well with Klute. Well, Wiki lied! This movie might
> as well have been a prequel to Boogie Nights. I was expecting a police
> procedural and got random hookups at a bar. Sure there's a murder, but
> at the end right before the credits roll. This was not a good movie IMO.

No

> MacGruber (Peacock) - "A Good Day to Die" First episode of the TV series
> based on the movie, based on the SNL sketch. Will Forte, Kristen Wiig,
> and Ryan Phillippe all reprise their roles from the movie. Picking up
> 10 years after the events of the movie the government once again needs
> MacGruber's help, this time to stop Billy Zane. And Laurence Fishburne
> joins the cast too. I guess the episode was OK. If you like the movie,
> you'll like the show as being more of the same. But I'm in no hurry to
> get to episode 2.

Something for Ian now that he gets the Peacock Prime PPlus

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<sskebr$vsn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139416&group=rec.arts.tv#139416

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 12:38:19 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:38 UTC

On 2022-01-23 20:18:27 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2022-01-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

>> Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
>> seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.
>>
>> Fun fact: This movie was filmed in *Birmingham, Alabama*!! I can't
>> think of another movie that's been filmed in Birmingham!
>
> List of feature films shot in Birmingham
> This is a List of feature films shot in Birmingham:
> Contents [hide]
> 1 1901-1980
> 2 1981-2000
> 3 2001-2010
> 4 2011-2020
> 5 2021–2030
> 6 References
> 1901-1980
>

> [snip a lot of movies no one has ever seen!]
>

> The River (1984, Universal Pictures), scenes at former Clow Corp. pipe
> plant, Tarrant, North Birmingham

Would not have expected that one...

> Space Jam (1996, Warner Bros.), Michael Jordan's opening scene shot at
> Hoover Metropolitan Stadium

I call "trivial"!! :p

> Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006, Columbia Pictures),
> Talladega

OK, fine - I *should* have thought of that one!! :p

> October Baby (2011, Erwin Brothers), Morris Avenue, Bibb Medical Center,
> and Alabama Theatre

Really?!...

> Line of Duty (November 2019,Saban Films), downtown Birmingham

That's the one!! ;)

> Inheritance (2020, Southpaw Entertainment)
> The Devil All the Time (2020, Borderline Films / Ninestory), Forest Park,
> Cliff Road, Anniston

Wow - would never have picked either of these!

> https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_feature_films_shot_in_Birmingham

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<sskelr$2gl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139419&group=rec.arts.tv#139419

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 12:43:39 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:43 UTC

On 2022-01-23 19:59:30 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 1/23/2022 9:11 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-01-23 09:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Yellowjackets (Showtime app) - "Blood Hive", "Saints", and "No Compass"
>> (ep's #1.5-1.7).
>>   Three episodes on Saturday, so I expect to finish out the show today.
>> (Then on to either "Wheel of Time" or "Foundation"!...)
>>   Anyway, Arthur turned out to be correct - they really start ramping
>> up the "supernatural" angle in these episodes, which I really don't
>> care for.
>>   I also increasingly have a sinking feeling about Arthur's other point
>> - these episodes felt like they were piling on new questions, without
>> answering any of the other questions they've already posed! About the
>> only progress made here is that these episodes move closer to
>> confirming that Callie (Shauna's daughter) was born out in the wilds
>
> That thought never crossed my mind. Then again, while watching I
> rarely made the connection as to which character in the present was the
> same character in the past.

You know what? - I think I'm wrong about that. The finale is their
"25th reunion", and Callie is supposed to be 16, I think, so the math
doesn't work.

That means Shauna's original baby is unaccounted for....

> > (which may
>> explain why she's kind of EVOL!!1! now, and why Shauna doesn't like
>> her), and the identity of the "blackmailer" sort of becomes obvious in
>> these epies.
>
> I'm curious. Who do you think is the blackmailer? Don't worry, I
> won't spoil if you're right or not.

I also thought it was Shauna's boyfriend. I have to say, I was a little
annoyed at the "twist" they pulled here. :|

I'll review this more tomorrow, but I am disappointed with how the
finale went...

>> football: Two close playoff games. In the first, Tennessee threw away a
>> game they should have won, and allowed Cincinnati to win at the last
>> minute and advance.
>>   In the more important game, the 49ers special teams play allowed them
>> to come from behind, and they executed a near perfect final drive to
>> kick the final second-winning field goal - the '9ers advance!!
>
> I just found out yesterday that if the 49ers win their next game they
> get to go to the Superbowl.

Correct!

>> The Blacklist (recorded) - "Dr. Razmik Maier" (ep. #9.8). Well, this
>> mostly was not good.
>
> Saved for later. I guess now I have something to not look forward to.

My guess is that you and Adam will hate it way more than I did!! ;p

>> Nobody (HBO Max) - I did like this 2021 flick. But it does take too
>> long to get going. I also didn't really care for the bait-and-switch -
>> who "Nobody" ends up battling has nothing to do with the original home
>> invasion robbery. (Fun fact: One of the home invasion robbers is played
>> by hottie Canadian actress Humberly Gonzales!)
>>   I also didn't like that they kept hinting that the wife (Connie
>> Nielsen) also had some kind of background like "Nobody's", but we see
>> no evidence of it, and she's basically nothing more than a "damsel in
>> distress" for a good chunk of the movie.
>>   But beyond that, this is a "massive body count" movie like "John
>> Wick", except much more "low-key" (and more quasi-"realistic"(?)) than
>> a movie like "John Wick".
>
> At the time I thought it was in the John Wick universe, and even the
> house at the end was John Wick's house, then I found out that even
> though the movies have the same writer, they were made by different
> studios.

It sounds like they may want to link them, but it may or may not happen...

I'm still curious to see if there's ever a sequel, or not. But after
what happened with "6 Underground", I've lost faith that a lot of
sequels that should happen actually will... :/

>>   Wow - Michael Ironside is so old now, that he is basically
>> unrecognizable!! But fun to see Christopher Lloyd and Colin Salmon in
>> this.
>>   They clearly seem to set up a sequel or a "franchise" for this movie,
>> so I'm surprised that while someone is writing a script for a sequel,
>> it hasn't been greenlit yet.
>>
>> Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
>> seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.
>
> Added to the queue.
>

> I watched:
>
> Looking For Mr. Goodbar (TCM) 1977 "crime drama" staring Diane Keaton
> as a school teacher who hooks up with random men she meets at bars.
> This was my first time watching this movie. I knew the movie existed,
> but for some reason, I thought it was a pornographic movie. Then I saw
> it was airing on TCM, and read it was a legit Oscar nominated Hollywood
> movie. And Wiki said it was a "crime drama" about a murder and I
> figured it would go well with Klute. Well, Wiki lied! This movie
> might as well have been a prequel to Boogie Nights. I was expecting a
> police procedural and got random hookups at a bar. Sure there's a
> murder, but at the end right before the credits roll. This was not a
> good movie IMO.

This is one of those movies you couldn't pay me to watch!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<230120221628029130%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139436&group=rec.arts.tv#139436

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:28:02 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:28 UTC

In article <sskc35$g15$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> I watched:

> Klute (TCM) 1971 crime thriller staring Donald Sutherland on a missing
> person's case who gets help from a prostitute played by Jane Fonda. I
> was vaguely aware this movie existed, but this was my first time
> watching it. I didn't really care for the convoluted plot.

This flick was a big deal when it was originally released. I'm not
sure why. Maybe it was because Fonda was playing gritty.

> Looking For Mr. Goodbar (TCM) 1977 "crime drama" staring Diane Keaton as
> a school teacher who hooks up with random men she meets at bars. This
> was my first time watching this movie. I knew the movie existed, but
> for some reason, I thought it was a pornographic movie. Then I saw it
> was airing on TCM, and read it was a legit Oscar nominated Hollywood
> movie. And Wiki said it was a "crime drama" about a murder and I
> figured it would go well with Klute. Well, Wiki lied! This movie might
> as well have been a prequel to Boogie Nights. I was expecting a police
> procedural and got random hookups at a bar. Sure there's a murder, but
> at the end right before the credits roll. This was not a good movie IMO.

It was supposed to be shocking because it was about a woman looking for
casual hookups. I guess that, for some people, that alone was
shocking.

It's been so long that I can't remember why it was Mr. Goodbar and not,
say, Three Musketeers or Zagnut.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<606748090.664665459.345474.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139442&group=rec.arts.tv#139442

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 14:34:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:34 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-01-23 20:18:27 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
>>> seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.
>>>
>>> Fun fact: This movie was filmed in *Birmingham, Alabama*!! I can't
>>> think of another movie that's been filmed in Birmingham!
>>
>> List of feature films shot in Birmingham
>> This is a List of feature films shot in Birmingham:
>> Contents [hide]
>> 1 1901-1980
>> 2 1981-2000
>> 3 2001-2010
>> 4 2011-2020
>> 5 2021–2030
>> 6 References
>> 1901-1980
>>

>> [snip a lot of movies no one has ever seen!]
>>

>> The River (1984, Universal Pictures), scenes at former Clow Corp. pipe
>> plant, Tarrant, North Birmingham
>
> Would not have expected that one...
>
>> Space Jam (1996, Warner Bros.), Michael Jordan's opening scene shot at
>> Hoover Metropolitan Stadium
>
> I call "trivial"!! :p
>
>> Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006, Columbia Pictures),
>> Talladega
>
> OK, fine - I *should* have thought of that one!! :p
>
>> October Baby (2011, Erwin Brothers), Morris Avenue, Bibb Medical Center,
>> and Alabama Theatre
>
> Really?!...
>
>> Line of Duty (November 2019,Saban Films), downtown Birmingham
>
> That's the one!! ;)
>
>> Inheritance (2020, Southpaw Entertainment)
>> The Devil All the Time (2020, Borderline Films / Ninestory), Forest Park,
>> Cliff Road, Anniston
>
> Wow - would never have picked either of these!
>

>> https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_feature_films_shot_in_Birmingham

:D

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-01-22 (Saturday)

<sski3v$qd8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=139449&group=rec.arts.tv#139449

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 13:42:20 -0800
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:42 UTC

On 1/23/2022 12:38 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-01-23 20:18:27 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Line of Duty (Prime) - This 2019 flick was a pretty decent edge-of-your
>>> seat "thrill ride" kind of actioner.
>>>
>>> Fun fact: This movie was filmed in *Birmingham, Alabama*!! I can't
>>> think of another movie that's been filmed in Birmingham!
>>
>> List of feature films shot in Birmingham
>> This is a List of feature films shot in Birmingham:
>> Contents [hide]
>> 1 1901-1980
>> 2 1981-2000
>> 3 2001-2010
>> 4 2011-2020
>> 5 2021–2030
>> 6 References
>> 1901-1980
>>

>> [snip a lot of movies no one has ever seen!]
>>

>> The River (1984, Universal Pictures), scenes at former Clow Corp. pipe
>> plant, Tarrant, North Birmingham
>
> Would not have expected that one...
>
>> Space Jam (1996, Warner Bros.), Michael Jordan's opening scene shot at
>> Hoover Metropolitan Stadium
>
> I call "trivial"!!  :p
>
>> Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006, Columbia Pictures),
>> Talladega
>
> OK, fine - I *should* have thought of that one!!  :p
>
>> October Baby (2011, Erwin Brothers), Morris Avenue, Bibb Medical Center,
>> and Alabama Theatre
>
> Really?!...
>
>> Line of Duty (November 2019,Saban Films), downtown Birmingham
>
> That's the one!!  ;)
>
>> Inheritance (2020, Southpaw Entertainment)
>> The Devil All the Time (2020, Borderline Films / Ninestory), Forest Park,
>> Cliff Road, Anniston
>
> Wow - would never have picked either of these!
>

>> https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/List_of_feature_films_shot_in_Birmingham

I find it interesting that the Reese Witherspoon movie, Sweet Home
Alabama wasn't filmed in Alabama.