From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, nf.general, soc.culture.irish, ie.general
Subject: "banish ghosts and goblins"
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 03:55:48 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 06:25 UTC

"In the merry month of June from me home I started
Left the girls of Tuam nearly broken hearted
Saluted Father dear, kissed me darling mother
Drank a pint of beer, me grief and tears to smother
Then off to reap the corn, leave where I was born
Cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins
A brand new pair of brogues, rattlin' o'er the bogs
Frightenin' all the dogs on the rocky road to Dublin

One two three four five
Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
And all the way to Dublin, Whack fol lol le rah!”

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;

Re: "banish ghosts and goblins"

<0001HW.2AF1770F002903E170000EA0A38F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14011&group=rec.music.folk#14011

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: rec.music.celtic, rec.music.folk, uk.music.folk, nf.general, soc.culture.irish, ie.general
Subject: Re: "banish ghosts and goblins"
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 15:25:27 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 17:55 UTC

On Oct 31, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2AF0D56C0013255C7000040B638F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> "In the merry month of June from me home I started
> Left the girls of Tuam nearly broken hearted
> Saluted Father dear, kissed me darling mother
> Drank a pint of beer, me grief and tears to smother
> Then off to reap the corn, leave where I was born
> Cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins
> A brand new pair of brogues, rattlin' o'er the bogs
> Frightenin' all the dogs on the rocky road to Dublin
>
> One two three four five
> Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
> And all the way to Dublin, Whack fol lol le rah!”

The way to banish ghosts and goblins who show up on
your doorstep this evening is to give them a sweet treat. :-)

Samhain Blessings to any readers!