From: gar...@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Subject: Song: "Energetic Monster"
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 11:03:38 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 15:03 UTC

Monster Energy, the drink company, is in the habit of making trademark
threats against publishers of games that use the word "monster." Here's
a short song for them, filking my own "Monster":

Energetic Monster
Lyric: Gary McGath, Copyright 2023
Music: Gary McGath, "Monster"

We opened our eyes to a game that was new.
We looked at its name and decided to sue.
We're writing to tell you that you should have paid
For using that word on the game that you made.
You haven't the right. It is just us alone
Who can make the use of this word that we own.
You stepped on our trademark. Just how do you dare?
We own the word "monster." We think it's just fair.

Now we've gone to court over what you have made.
You owe us a lot, and your debt is unpaid.
Would any good human so friv'lously sue?
But we're Monster Energy. That's what we do.
We'll drag it out till your money you've lost,
File nonsense motions to drive up the cost.
For we're trademark trolls who will make you despair.
Yes, we are the monsters. We think it's just fair.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Song: "Energetic Monster"

<eb15ec68-b2e4-4a4d-aeb2-9bb2e16c1ef7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14018&group=rec.music.filk#14018

Newsgroups: rec.music.filk
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 08:00:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Song: "Energetic Monster"
From: david.un...@gmail.com (david union)
 by: david union - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:00 UTC

On Friday, 7 April 2023 at 11:03:41 am UTC-4, Gary McGath wrote:
> Monster Energy, the drink company, is in the habit of making trademark
> threats against publishers of games that use the word "monster." Here's
> a short song for them, filking my own "Monster":
>

> Energetic Monster
> Lyric: Gary McGath, Copyright 2023
> Music: Gary McGath, "Monster"
>
> We opened our eyes to a game that was new.
> We looked at its name and decided to sue.
> We're writing to tell you that you should have paid
> For using that word on the game that you made.
> You haven't the right. It is just us alone
> Who can make the use of this word that we own.
> You stepped on our trademark. Just how do you dare?
> We own the word "monster." We think it's just fair.
>
> Now we've gone to court over what you have made.
> You owe us a lot, and your debt is unpaid.
> Would any good human so friv'lously sue?
> But we're Monster Energy. That's what we do.
> We'll drag it out till your money you've lost,
> File nonsense motions to drive up the cost.
> For we're trademark trolls who will make you despair.
> Yes, we are the monsters. We think it's just fair.
>
> --
> Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Nuance was probably worse with their litigation. They threw money at folks
that owned their own IP and were the originators until those people were broke and had to sell it to them.
With literally no legal leg to stand on: frivolous lawsuits to keep people from working and
force them to sell their products and IP to them.