If you wish to succeed, consult three old people.

arts / rec.music.folk / Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

SubjectAuthor
* Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok FestivalDavid Dalton
+* Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok FestivalDavid Dalton
|+- Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok FestivalDavid Dalton
|+- Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok FestivalDavid Dalton
|+- Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok FestivalDavid Dalton
|`- Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok FestivalDavid Dalton
`- Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok FestivalDavid Dalton

1
Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

<0001HW.2B62D62D0027AC94700006BB238F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14031&group=rec.music.folk#14031

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.folk, alt.music.alternative.female, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.artists.emmylou-harris, alt.music.s-mclachlan
Subject: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:17:25 -0330
 by: David Dalton - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:47 UTC

The 48th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
headliner is Emmylou Harris. She will play the night of
Saturday, July 13, in Bannerman Park in downtown
St. John’s, Newfoundland.

The rest of the lineup will be announced soon, and
Early Bird tickets will go on sale soon, and I will post
on here again when each of those occurs, or you
could check the webpage https://nlfolk.com/ or the
Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
Facebook page for updates.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill

Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

<0001HW.2B80404700B84D5B7000083BA38F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14032&group=rec.music.folk#14032

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.folk, alt.music.alternative.female, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.artists.emmylou-harris, alt.music.s-mclachlan
Subject: Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 21:45:51 -0330
 by: David Dalton - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 01:15 UTC

On Jan 25, 2024, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B62D62D0027AC94700006BB238F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> The 48th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
> headliner is Emmylou Harris. She will play the night of
> Saturday, July 13, in Bannerman Park in downtown
> St. John’s, Newfoundland.
>
> The rest of the lineup will be announced soon, and
> Early Bird tickets will go on sale soon, and I will post
> on here again when each of those occurs, or you
> could check the webpage https://nlfolk.com/ or the
> Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
> Facebook page for updates.

There is currently a lot of outcry on Facebook locally.

The festival has since its inception been very family-oriented,
with the beer garden off to the side, and a tradition of kids
dancing in front of the stage even during the evening sets.

However, this year the organizers have said they plan to
sell separate 19+ tickets and have the licensed area
in front of the stage (so kids would be unable to dance there).

This I guess is because they want to sell more of the
expensive booze, and sell a higher proportion of adult
evening tickets. Perhaps they are doing this in order
to be able to afford Ms. Harris.

But if this remains the case, perhaps I and many other
longterm regulars will give Ms. Harris a miss.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“Early morning jubilators, up to no good instigators... Sons of long

Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

<0001HW.2BA255F20105919D70000B22938F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14033&group=rec.music.folk#14033

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.folk, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.artists.emmylou-harris, alt.music.s-mclachlan, alt.native
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:15:22 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:45 UTC

On Feb 16, 2024, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B80404700B84D5B7000083BA38F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Jan 25, 2024, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2B62D62D0027AC94700006BB238F@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > The 48th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
> > headliner is Emmylou Harris. She will play the night of
> > Saturday, July 13, in Bannerman Park in downtown
> > St. John’s, Newfoundland.
> >
> > The rest of the lineup will be announced soon, and
> > Early Bird tickets will go on sale soon, and I will post
> > on here again when each of those occurs, or you
> > could check the webpage https://nlfolk.com/ or the
> > Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
> > Facebook page for updates.
>
> There is currently a lot of outcry on Facebook locally.
>
> The festival has since its inception been very family-oriented,
> with the beer garden off to the side, and a tradition of kids
> dancing in front of the stage even during the evening sets.
>
> However, this year the organizers have said they plan to
> sell separate 19+ tickets and have the licensed area
> in front of the stage (so kids would be unable to dance there).
>
> This I guess is because they want to sell more of the
> expensive booze, and sell a higher proportion of adult
> evening tickets. Perhaps they are doing this in order
> to be able to afford Ms. Harris.
>
> But if this remains the case, perhaps I and many other
> longterm regulars will give Ms. Harris a miss.

William Prince will be the Friday night headliner.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)

Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

<0001HW.2BA56A3F0084ED4670000DC0138F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14034&group=rec.music.folk#14034

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.folk, alt.music.alternative.female, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.artists.emmylou-harris, alt.music.s-mclachlan
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 03:18:47 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 05:48 UTC

On Feb 16, 2024, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B80404700B84D5B7000083BA38F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Jan 25, 2024, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2B62D62D0027AC94700006BB238F@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > The 48th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
> > headliner is Emmylou Harris. She will play the night of
> > Saturday, July 13, in Bannerman Park in downtown
> > St. John’s, Newfoundland.
> >
> > The rest of the lineup will be announced soon, and
> > Early Bird tickets will go on sale soon, and I will post
> > on here again when each of those occurs, or you
> > could check the webpage https://nlfolk.com/ or the
> > Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
> > Facebook page for updates.
>
> There is currently a lot of outcry on Facebook locally.
>
> The festival has since its inception been very family-oriented,
> with the beer garden off to the side, and a tradition of kids
> dancing in front of the stage even during the evening sets.
>
> However, this year the organizers have said they plan to
> sell separate 19+ tickets and have the licensed area
> in front of the stage (so kids would be unable to dance there).
>
> This I guess is because they want to sell more of the
> expensive booze, and sell a higher proportion of adult
> evening tickets. Perhaps they are doing this in order
> to be able to afford Ms. Harris.
>
> But if this remains the case, perhaps I and many other
> longterm regulars will give Ms. Harris a miss.

Steve Earle will be playing just before Emmylou Harris
on the Saturday night.

I probably will wait until I have a weather forecast for the
nights of the festival, though Saturday night will probably
have sold out by then. Or I could volunteer.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)

Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

<0001HW.2BABF3590187B06070000EEF738F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14035&group=rec.music.folk#14035

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.folk, alt.music.alternative.female, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.artists.emmylou-harris, alt.music.s-mclachlan
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 02:17:21 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 04:47 UTC

On Feb 16, 2024, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B80404700B84D5B7000083BA38F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Jan 25, 2024, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2B62D62D0027AC94700006BB238F@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > The 48th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
> > headliner is Emmylou Harris. She will play the night of
> > Saturday, July 13, in Bannerman Park in downtown
> > St. John’s, Newfoundland.
> >
> > The rest of the lineup will be announced soon, and
> > Early Bird tickets will go on sale soon, and I will post
> > on here again when each of those occurs, or you
> > could check the webpage https://nlfolk.com/ or the
> > Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
> > Facebook page for updates.
>
> There is currently a lot of outcry on Facebook locally.
>
> The festival has since its inception been very family-oriented,
> with the beer garden off to the side, and a tradition of kids
> dancing in front of the stage even during the evening sets.
>
> However, this year the organizers have said they plan to
> sell separate 19+ tickets and have the licensed area
> in front of the stage (so kids would be unable to dance there).
>
> This I guess is because they want to sell more of the
> expensive booze, and sell a higher proportion of adult
> evening tickets. Perhaps they are doing this in order
> to be able to afford Ms. Harris.
>
> But if this remains the case, perhaps I and many other
> longterm regulars will give Ms. Harris a miss.

However I doubt the Folk Festival will become a rowdy
drunken sardine event like The George Street Festival.

But I still haven’t gotten any tickets. Maybe Emmylou
Harris will put me on the guest list so I can use my
Pan-like abilities at the festival. :-)

The full lineup will be announced on April 10 and I
will then post it to these and other relevant newsgroups.

For festival info see https://nlfolk.com/festival/info/ .

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)

Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

<0001HW.2BB51E26005778B270000459438F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14037&group=rec.music.folk#14037

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.folk, alt.music.alternative.female, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.artists.emmylou-harris, alt.music.s-mclachlan
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 01:10:22 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 03:40 UTC

On Feb 16, 2024, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B80404700B84D5B7000083BA38F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> On Jan 25, 2024, David Dalton wrote
> (in article<0001HW.2B62D62D0027AC94700006BB238F@news.eternal-september.org>):
>
> > The 48th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
> > headliner is Emmylou Harris. She will play the night of
> > Saturday, July 13, in Bannerman Park in downtown
> > St. John’s, Newfoundland.
> >
> > The rest of the lineup will be announced soon, and
> > Early Bird tickets will go on sale soon, and I will post
> > on here again when each of those occurs, or you
> > could check the webpage https://nlfolk.com/ or the
> > Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
> > Facebook page for updates.
>
> There is currently a lot of outcry on Facebook locally.
>
> The festival has since its inception been very family-oriented,
> with the beer garden off to the side, and a tradition of kids
> dancing in front of the stage even during the evening sets.
>
> However, this year the organizers have said they plan to
> sell separate 19+ tickets and have the licensed area
> in front of the stage (so kids would be unable to dance there).
>
> This I guess is because they want to sell more of the
> expensive booze, and sell a higher proportion of adult
> evening tickets. Perhaps they are doing this in order
> to be able to afford Ms. Harris.
>
> But if this remains the case, perhaps I and many other
> longterm regulars will give Ms. Harris a miss.

They just announced that the day stages will be free
this year.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)

Re: Emmylou Harris to headline NL Fok Festival

<0001HW.2BC63CDD00656E5E7000073D238F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=14038&group=rec.music.folk#14038

From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: nf.general, rec.music.folk, alt.music.alternative.female, rec.music.country.western, rec.music.artists.emmylou-harris, alt.music.s-mclachlan
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 00:49:57 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 03:19 UTC

On Jan 25, 2024, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2B62D62D0027AC94700006BB238F@news.eternal-september.org>):

> The 48th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
> headliner is Emmylou Harris. She will play the night of
> Saturday, July 13, in Bannerman Park in downtown
> St. John’s, Newfoundland.
>
> The rest of the lineup will be announced soon, and
> Early Bird tickets will go on sale soon, and I will post
> on here again when each of those occurs, or you
> could check the webpage https://nlfolk.com/ or the
> Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
> Facebook page for updates.

I just broke down and bought an evening (daytime stages
are free this year) licensed area weekend pass for
about CAN$250 (individual tickets for Friday night
with William Prince headlining are close to $75,
for Saturday night with Emmylou Harris Band and
Steve Earle solo headlining are close to $150,
and for Sunday night with locals The Ennis Sisters
headlining are close to $50). The full evening lineup
will be released tomorrow (April 10) at 11:30 a.m. NDT
(10 a.m. EDT) on social media and I hope on their web page.

So i guess I won’t volunteer this year, or if I do I’ll
have to sell my tickets.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“Mary walks down to the water’s edge and there she hangs Her head to